A Place for Real PvP.

A Place for Real PvP.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’m talking straight PvP 1v1 or 2v2 PvP without zergs or objectives. This game needs arenas so people can PvP for fun! a place without the annoyance of WvW or the tryharding of SPvP.

WvWvW: i hesitate to call WvWvW PvP as nothing gets done without a zerg. sure you can take camps alone or with a small group, but you’re not really helping when they will be rerolled by a zerg in seconds. in a zerg most of WvWvW is spent running around and hitting doors. after a while the round robin gets tiring.

you can roam around and hope you find someone to fight, but usually it’s just time wasted for you because you either don’t find anyone, you find a zerg, or you find a thief. it’s also a slot taken from people who actually want to play objective WvWvW.

SPvP: again, there’s very rarely 1v1s and it’s objective based. i also feel bad for taking a slot when i want to PvP rather than cap points.

i don’t think it would be hard to create a PvP arena (there’s on the black citadel) so people who want real PvP (not ZvZ or TvT) or just want to test builds and fool around can do it without hindering anyone else.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Zergs are a form of attrition, a basic but effective military strategy.

That said, I do believe that there should be a place to duel other people in PvE. I would recommend using the arena in the black citadel or the arena in plains of ashford.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

I have a strong desire for 1v1 duels.

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

They should just add a dueling function, as for “real” PvP, dueling is no more real than tPvP, just more simplistic.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

They should make a coliseum where people can 1vs1 / 2vs2 etc and even allow us to bet for the winner and spectate.
I would go as far as creating Olympiads like Lineage 2 but the basic stuff above would be already a lot.

A Place for Real PvP.

vespers.1759

They should just add a dueling function, as for “real” PvP, dueling is no more real than tPvP, just more simplistic.

yeah it is “PvP” but i want fights where it’s my skill vs another person. i don’t feel that in WvWvW ever and not often in SPvP.

mostly i just want 1v1s and they are very hard to find without bringing your team down.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: knight.4379

knight.4379

Please add dueling Anet

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

X vs X with custom rules can be achieved using Custom Arenas, a feature which has been “coming soon” for a while now. You have to “rent” the arenas though, however they’re going to handle that.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

One thing I miss from WoW that I would enjoy seeing in GW2, is the Gurubashi Arena.

Just a large open arena for players to drop down into, and once you fall in, you are instantly flagged for PvP and anyone and everyone can attack you. Would love to see this in GW2.

And just an FYI, we already have 2v2 Arena PvP.

Two Team Rated Play in PvP

t’s time to prove your skill! In this new type of competitive PvP, two teams of equal average rating are pitted against each other in a quick, intense match. The ratings for every member of each team is then adjusted after the match.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/february-2013/

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

This is an MMO. There is no place for real PvP in an MMO.

A Place for Real PvP.

SpyderArachnid.5619

You do realize MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online right? Meaning in order to have PvP, it has to be in an MMO environment in the first place. Everything that has PvP is an MMO.

A Place for Real PvP.

sostronk.8167

You do realize MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online right? Meaning in order to have PvP, it has to be in an MMO environment in the first place. Everything that has PvP is an MMO.

Go ahead and have your argument with yourself about how every game on the internet is an MMO. Im not interested.

A Place for Real PvP.

SpyderArachnid.5619

Go ahead and have your argument with yourself about how every game on the internet is an MMO. Im not interested.

What? That makes no sense. What argument?

I was simply saying that in order to have PvP, it has to be an MMO. Because PvP stands for Player versus Player. Which can only be done in an MMO atmosphere. You know, a multiplayer online game. If you cannot connect online, and there is no multiplayer, than you cannot have PvP. It is a single player game instead.

Games like Halo, Call of Duty, WoW, Battlefield, anything that allows you to go online and play against other players is an MMO.

It is just stating a fact. No reason to get all defensive about it.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: knight.4379

knight.4379

No PvP? player versus player. I’m pretty sure we have PvP in gw2 and many other games :P

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

And let me guess, “real PvP” would be camping people on CoD or whatever is the latest clone around.

Different PvP mechanics that put in competition different human abilities, neither is more or less real.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Some of the most fun PvP I’ve experienced in the game is in the Obsidian Sanctum.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

They apparently tested deathmatch/team deathmatch modes and there was a problem with it. Dont remember what, but something to look into. Although the way sPvP is going they need to add atleast another 3-5 game modes if it is going to survive, including GvG. This new update has brought in a lot of new people, but pre update when I was doing free turnys, it would take me about 30-50mins to find a match. With more game modes = more choices. More choices = less of a grindy/repetitive feeling.

A Place for Real PvP.

sostronk.8167

And let me guess, “real PvP” would be camping people on CoD or whatever is the latest clone around.

Different PvP mechanics that put in competition different human abilities, neither is more or less real.

COD is horrid. At least its clones are. COD2 was pretty solid. COD4 with promod with alright for a while. But now, COD doesn’t really come to mind when I think of real PvP.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

One thing I miss from WoW that I would enjoy seeing in GW2, is the Gurubashi Arena.

Just a large open arena for players to drop down into, and once you fall in, you are instantly flagged for PvP and anyone and everyone can attack you. Would love to see this in GW2.

t’s time to prove your skill! In this new type of competitive PvP, two teams of equal average rating are pitted against each other in a quick, intense match. The ratings for every member of each team is then adjusted after the match.

lol if you’ve actually done that you’d know “2 team” doesn’t mean 2 players, it means 2 teams of 5 players each, only 1 round so you dont go against several teams consecutively.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

This game doesn’t have the combat structure and role definition to support that type of gameplay. The combat system is extremely shallow so it needs to be paired with a type of objective or large overarching system (WvW) for it to make any sense. A game mode in this game like Team Arenas where teams just collided would be incredibly stupid. Unfortunately this game is doomed to be shallow because of the lack of traditional role effectiveness. It’d just be a zergfest, but with less objectives. It would boil down to FoTM and you’d only see OP team comps and classes. It would have almost no depth because theres no healer to actively mitigate damage on a consistent, tactical basis. Therefore, creating pressure or complex, strategic combat situations would be near impossible. The skill system design doesn’t support it and the class design doesn’t support it. They can put it in, but itll be mush. Just my opinion.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

1vs1 arena would put class balance under a bright spotlight and the developers would be vilified daily.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

I would only agree to them making a arena for 1v1’s if they balance the professions first. Otherwise, you will only see Elementalist vs. Elemetnalist, and on the rare occasion Elementalist vs. Mesmer. (Also, maybe a few lame mug + backstab + haste + 22222222 thiefs).

In all seriousness though, balance the professions before “fixing” or “adding” in anything else.

A Place for Real PvP.

SpyderArachnid.5619

lol if you’ve actually done that you’d know “2 team” doesn’t mean 2 players, it means 2 teams of 5 players each, only 1 round so you dont go against several teams consecutively.

Ah, my mistake then. I was just going off some posts around here that said it was a 2v2 arena, which led me to assume it was. Haven’t done it personally myself. Thanks for clearing that up.

A Place for Real PvP.

vespers.1759

I would only agree to them making a arena for 1v1’s if they balance the professions first. Otherwise, you will only see Elementalist vs. Elemetnalist, and on the rare occasion Elementalist vs. Mesmer. (Also, maybe a few lame mug + backstab + haste + 22222222 thiefs).

In all seriousness though, balance the professions before “fixing” or “adding” in anything else.

all the more reason to have them. we all know thiefs, mesmers and eles are in a league of their own. we’ve all been complaining about it for months but while they get buffed.

if pvp arenas helps fix it faster than i only see it as a good thing.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: Anjhouli.7049

Anjhouli.7049

They should make a coliseum where people can 1vs1 / 2vs2 etc and even allow us to bet for the winner and spectate.
I would go as far as creating Olympiads like Lineage 2 but the basic stuff above would be already a lot.

I would LOVE that.

A Place for Real PvP.

Posted by: AtomowyObama.3845

AtomowyObama.3845

Please ArenaNet add dueling and more pvp staff like 1 v1 or 2 v 2.