A Sincere, Serious Questioning of Support

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ally.4382

Ally.4382

I don’t spend a ton of time of the forums, no. I only wanted to make this post thanks to a buildup of 3+ years of dealing with ingame kitten. I wanted both ArenaNet and the community to take notice of it, and I wanted us all to discuss ways in which we could improve support, or “help out” Anet, or maybe if they have any ideas themselves. Clearly most seem to think support is sufficient enough as it is, and that’s great, for you guys. I’m merely being the voice for, I guess, a minority who feels more could be done.

And if Anet really don’t like this kind of post on here, I hope they’ll get in contact after they take it down, so we can talk privately about my ingame support problems.

They might delete or deactivate this thread, but they’re not going to contact you. That’s your job. If you’re being attacked or harassed in game, you get the screenshots and you contact support through a ticket. There’s no point in posting on the forum about it. There’s nothing we can do and there’s nothing that ANet can do until you make a ticket and give them the proof they need.

To make a ticket
Top of page: support
Top of page: submit a request

No, look. I think people are starting to misinterpret the thread and/or have been.
I simply wanted to talk about ways support could improve, and I put forward an idea.
I do not need them to contact me about the attacks.
I was merely saying if they do not want to talk about it on the forums, I hope we could talk about it elsewhere, support, that is.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Since you’re the only person that’s seeing this level of problem that needs special ingame moderators then I would say that no, the game doesn’t need new ways to handle any existing problems. Reporting and blocking is handling it sufficiently. Unless you can show that it’s not (and using hypothetical cases are worthless for that) then no changes are going to happen.

If what you were describing was true, all of us here would be seeing it and it would be on the forum also as multiple threads or one large merged thread, not your one thread with no one seeing what you see.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ally.4382

If you give us more information on the rudeness you’re seeing most of the time, then maybe we can talk about what can be done. But until you do, we’re not going to discuss what most of us feel happens only rarely, beyond going: that’s not what I see.

It’s just a case of “rude person” is rude.
I report. Nothing happens.
Later Date: “rude person” is rude again.
Report again. Nothing happens.
Rinse and repeat endlessly

So either:
A. They need said “rude person’s” money income over temp muting/banning them.
B. They disagree with what has been said/done is rude.
C. They are so inundated with support tickets/reports they simply can’t do anything quick enough.

We know it’s Not B. because I think we all can agree death threats are serious…
And if it’s C. then that is why I suggested alternative support help from player helpers. :p

Ally.4382

Since you’re the only person that’s seeing this level of problem that needs special ingame moderators then I would say that no, the game doesn’t need new ways to handle any existing problems. Reporting and blocking is handling it sufficiently. Unless you can show that it’s not (and using hypothetical cases are worthless for that) then no changes are going to happen.

If what you were describing was true, all of us here would be seeing it and it would be on the forum also as multiple threads or one large merged thread, not your one thread with no one seeing what you see.

I don’t need ingame moderators it was a complete out of nowhere suggestion, based off of another game I used to play as a kid… Hoping/looking for other suggestions from people who maybe feel the same as I do.

And no, I assume a lot of people would have been like me and waited for this long to bring it up on the forums. Or just kept quiet about it. Or didn’t know it was being discussed. Or left the game already (I’d rather not, I like Guild Wars, the game part). Or just doesn’t know what the forums are. Not everybody probably knows they exist.

(edited by Ally.4382)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

If you give us more information on the rudeness you’re seeing most of the time, then maybe we can talk about what can be done. But until you do, we’re not going to discuss what most of us feel happens only rarely, beyond going: that’s not what I see.

So either:
C. They are so inundated with support tickets/reports they simply can’t do anything quick enough.

And if it’s C. then that is why I suggested alternative support help from player helpers. :p

Actually, I was going to say it’s most likely B. They analysed the chat and concluded it wasn’t serious enough to warrant punishment.

Death threats can be serious, depending on context. It may be a spontaneous exclamation of frustration with no intent behind it, or there may be indicators (such as knowing your personal details) that make it more serious. It’s hard to say without an example – which you refuse to provide.

But apart from that, you continue to muddy the water. In your post above, you keep referring to a person being “rude” which is not how I would describe a death threat. You only slip in the death threat at the end completely out of the blue to exclude the most likely option (B). This is intellectual dishonesty.

Ally, it may be prudent to not continue this thread. It’s not going to bring you the satisfaction you seek and every one of your posts is actually undermining your own point.

Ally.4382

So either:

Actually, I was going to say it’s most likely B. They analysed the chat and concluded it wasn’t serious enough to warrant punishment.

Death threats can be serious, depending on context. It may be a spontaneous exclamation of frustration with no intent behind it, or there may be indicators (such as knowing your personal details) that make it more serious. It’s hard to say without an example – which you refuse to provide.

But apart from that, you continue to muddy the water. In your post above, you keep referring to a person being “rude” which is not how I would describe a death threat. You only slip in the death threat at the end completely out of the blue to exclude the most likely option (B). This is intellectual dishonesty.

Ally, it may be prudent to not continue this thread. It’s not going to bring you the satisfaction you seek and every one of your posts is actually undermining your own point.

I’m sorry I don’t keep screenshots of every. single. attack. on me that takes place ingame, usually they’re larger than a One Liner and Anet has the chat logs so screenshots should not be necessary… I DO however use the report function all the time as would most.

As for using “rude person” I only used that because I grabbed it as an easy way to explain from the post I was replying to. Ofcourse I think they’re being more than “rude” in my eyes.

None of my posts have undermined what I am trying to get across.

(edited by Ally.4382)

Just a flesh wound.3589

So either:

Why didn’t you block and leave blocked instead of getting into rounds of “rude person is rude”? If you had blocked the first time, you would never have gotten the second “rude person is rude” or any other for that matter. If you’re not using the tools the game gives you to handle things, then you haven’t given it a fair chance and there’s definitely no need for more tools.

1) Rude person is rude
2) you block and report
3) blessed silence from that person, forever and ever.

ANet may give it to you.

Ally.4382

Regardless. I will take away what has been said. If it’s true they disagree with my reasoning for a report, then so be it, I am probably playing the wrong game.

Ally.4382

Why didn’t you block and leave blocked instead of getting into rounds of “rude person is rude”? If you had blocked the first time, you would never have gotten the second “rude person is rude” or any other for that matter. If you’re not using the tools the game gives you to handle things, then you haven’t given it a fair chance and there’s definitely no need for more tools.

1) Rude person is rude
2) you block and report
3) blessed silence from that person, forever and ever.

The point being I could do that, but they’re still walking around, playing, doing it to other people. Am I not allowed to want a better community for everyone so they don’t ALSO have to go through that?
And I AM using the tools. Report Mainly.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

So either:

I’m sorry I don’t keep screenshots of every. single. attack. on me that takes place ingame, usually they’re larger than a One Liner and Anet has the chat logs so screenshots should not be necessary… I DO however use the report function all the time as would most.

As for using “rude person” I only used that because I grabbed it as an easy way to explain from the post I was replying to. Ofcourse I think they’re being more than “rude” in my eyes.

None of my posts have undermined what I am trying to get across.

But you should know which type you get the most. And be honest with us and yourself. It’s not the ones making death threats.

Continuously referencing the rare extreme case as if it was a lot more common than it is only makes people think you’re exaggerating for effect and have a tendency to make mountains from mole hills and maybe no one’s really being rude all that often to you. That’s what impression we get when you use the rare extreme example. Yes, it’s the easiest one to come up with off of the top of your head that you know everyone will agree on is rude.

But wrack your brain. Think of a less blatantly incredibly rude/mean/hurtful example of the rudeness that you see the most. Then make a case around that for why we should wrack our brains for punishments that might get people who are just joking around with each other when strangers overhear.

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

Every post you create makes it clearer and clearer that this is just censorious, authoritarian grasping by someone desperate for the power to (or to see the powerful) punish the people they don’t like.

Your problem is not that you are being insulted but that you treat any violation of your ego as a case of Lèse Magesté

I’ll let you look that up while you continue to not give any examples of the “thousands” of incidents which your block list cannot handle

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

Just a flesh wound.3589

Use the tools the game gives you first before you come and ask for more tools. From your own words, you admit that you don’t do that. You don’t block.

Block

Never hear from them again.

Your problem of people being repeatedly rude to you is solved with that one action, that’s already in game.

If people are reporting them, they get a suspension if the report is true. Each suspension is longer than the next. Let the game handle it.

ANet may give it to you.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

So, in-game reporting tools are satisfactory. Case closed, right?

Ally.4382

The tools will be used. I will contact them in due course with a ticket I am sure.
If they truly disagree with what I have outlined as unacceptable. Then yes, don’t worry, I will leave the game, as clearly I’m in the wrong place. Playing the wrong game.
Yes. Case closed. On that much at least.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

So what I got from all of this is that you’ve reported people for “being rude”, and you still see them around? How do you know Anet didn’t suspend them for 24 hours? Did you friend them and track their times online. Or did you just see them again and felt that what they said deserved a perma ban?

Because from Anet’s stance, they don’t perma ban people for rudeness. Depending on what is said, they suspend the account for a period of time. And said period of time increases as it goes. And yes, I know it works. I have a friend who is extremely hostile in PvP and he says things that even I say he shouldn’t say and to just turn off all chat. But he does. And he gets suspended. Last suspension was for 3 days. He’s been up to 7 before. And he’s been ‘a good boy’ for a while, so it went down.

The system works. But Anet will not ban an account because of what a person says. Unless it’s been an ongoing issue.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The block list is only so long… We’re talking about hundreds, thousands of these horrible horrible people.

If you’re getting such a terrible reaction from “hundreds” or “thousands” of people have you ever thought it might be you?

Block exists, use it.

Be careful about inviting people to have global supression of speech too – might not be good in the long run.

Ally.4382

If you’re getting such a terrible reaction from “hundreds” or “thousands” of people have you ever thought it might be you?

Block exists, use it.

Be careful about inviting people to have global supression of speech too – might not be good in the long run.

Thanks for once again saying it’s me
Good to know where people stand on this sort of thing. It’s my fault they did what they did to me.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Block exists, use it.

Good to know where people stand on this sort of thing. It’s my fault they did what they did to me.

It’s not uncommon for people to often overlook that their own actions can be the source of their issues.

I mean it’s not like there’s novels or anything with that exact plot line written by a famous person(s) or anything.

Just going on what’s been displayed in this thread alone, i can see why you might rub someone the wrong way even if it your intent may have been genuine.

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The tools will be used. I will contact them in due course with a ticket I am sure.
If they truly disagree with what I have outlined as unacceptable. Then yes, don’t worry, I will leave the game, as clearly I’m in the wrong place. Playing the wrong game.

You’re being melodramatic. Anet will not be implementing your ‘suggestion’ because there’s no need for it. That’s not a personal attack against you. Nobody is forcing you to go. Only you can decide whether the game is right for you and you’re welcome to stay or go as you please. But if you do decide to go….. can I have your stuff? ;D

Ally.4382

So what I got from all of this is that you’ve reported people for “being rude”, and you still see them around? How do you know Anet didn’t suspend them for 24 hours? Did you friend them and track their times online. Or did you just see them again and felt that what they said deserved a perma ban?

Because from Anet’s stance, they don’t perma ban people for rudeness. Depending on what is said, they suspend the account for a period of time. And said period of time increases as it goes. And yes, I know it works. I have a friend who is extremely hostile in PvP and he says things that even I say he shouldn’t say and to just turn off all chat. But he does. And he gets suspended. Last suspension was for 3 days. He’s been up to 7 before. And he’s been ‘a good boy’ for a while, so it went down.

The system works. But Anet will not ban an account because of what a person says. Unless it’s been an ongoing issue.

No, “being rude” is not my choice of words, and never has been, as explained further back in the thread, and no I do not friend them god no, that makes no sense. I do however see them around again yes, repeat offending whether it be to me again, or others (it does not matter). But yes if you’re asking, I think death threats are worthy of a perma/temp-ban and for the matter to be looked into further.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game does suspend people for language. There have been a number of posts on the forum from people who were outraged that they got a suspension. There was one post from a friend of someone who was banned because he was repeatedly suspended for language with increasing punishments until he hit the final punishment of an account ban.

Let the system work by reporting and let it go by blocking so you never hear from them again.

ANet may give it to you.

Ally.4382

You’re being melodramatic. Anet will not be implementing your ‘suggestion’ because there’s no need for it. That’s not a personal attack against you. Nobody is forcing you to go. Only you can decide whether the game is right for you and you’re welcome to stay or go as you please. But if you do decide to go….. can I have your stuff? ;D

I didn’t expect them to, it doesn’t work for every game, like I said, it was random, thrown out there, far out-there idea, a starting point for other suggestions as it is certainly not the best. And yes I’m sure in due course ArenaNet’s answer will provide me with the information I need to whether I decide to stay or go. I know.

Coulter.2315

Block exists, use it.

If one person calls you a horse – ignore them, if two people call you a horse – tell them to sod off, if three people call you a horse – maybe its time to look for a saddle (or something like that).

I think you might be a little over sensitive or perhaps you’re antagonising people.

Again you have the power to stop them at the very first message you don’t like, block.

Also “did what they did to me” is a little melodramatic, you read something unpleasant on the internet, don’t blow it out of proportion.

Ally.4382

Just going on what’s been displayed in this thread alone, i can see why you might rub someone the wrong way if it your intent may have been genuine.

Well, I could read this entire thread from start to finish again, and again, and could not understand that at all. I came here looking for suggestions and discussion, and all I got was mobbed. :/

Seera.5916

No, “being rude” is not my choice of words, and never has been, as explained further back in the thread, and no I do not friend them god no, that makes no sense. I do however see them around again yes, repeat offending whether it be to me again, or others (it does not matter). But yes if you’re asking, I think death threats are worthy of a perma/temp-ban and for the matter to be looked into further.

So you literally get thousands of death threats?

If so, there is likely something you’re doing that’s causing it, be it intentional or not.

If not, please for the sake of the thread, STOP using it as if it is something you literally get thousands of. Because it IS hurting your argument.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

I do however see them around again yes, repeat offending whether it be to me again, or others (it does not matter).

If you see same people still that offend you then you do not use block tool as intend. It impossible to see chat from person you block. So what this say is you do not use block tool.

I do not say what some people say bad in game is right. But if you do not use block tool to help not see what these people say that offend then I do not know what to tell you.

As many say report and block. You will enjoy game much more not worry about these people because you can not see what they say.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Ally.4382

If one person calls you a horse – ignore them, if two people call you a horse – tell them to sod off, if three people call you a horse – maybe its time to look for a saddle (or something like that).

I think you might be a little over sensitive or perhaps you’re antagonising people.

Again you have the power to stop them at the very first message you don’t like, block.

Also “did what they did to me” is a little melodramatic, you read something unpleasant on the internet, don’t blow it out of proportion.

There we go with the you’re sensitive again, maybe I AM, maybe I’m NOT? How does that make any of this acceptable? It doesn’t. It shouldn’t.

And I don’t even know where you’re going with the “did what they did to me” part… I am completely lost at this point.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Just going on what’s been displayed in this thread alone, i can see why you might rub someone the wrong way if it your intent may have been genuine.

Well, I could read this entire thread from start to finish again, and again, and could not understand that at all. I came here looking for suggestions and discussion, and all I got was mobbed. :/

No. You weren’t mobbed. You didn’t agree with people who didn’t agree with you, and thus they were attacking you. You did it a few times, and others have pointed it out.

Some people do not agree with you. And you told them they were wrong. Yet you were “mobbed”.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Ally.4382

If so, there is likely something you’re doing that’s causing it, be it intentional or not.

If not, please for the sake of the thread, STOP using it as if it is something you literally get thousands of. Because it IS hurting your argument.

No, I never said that, never did, the ones that I have received I did not ask for, nor did I provoke.

Ally.4382

No. You weren’t mobbed. You didn’t agree with people who didn’t agree with you, and thus they were attacking you. You did it a few times, and others have pointed it out.

Some people do not agree with you. And you told them they were wrong. Yet you were “mobbed”.

Yes. Point exactly. We disagreed. Does that mean I deserve to be attacked? NO. It’s discussion. It doesn’t need to get ugly like that. And I never said anybody was wrong, if so, quote it.

Posted by: Zangster.3174

Zangster.3174

I would definitely advise not trying Archeage then. This community is a collection of saints in comparison. Just thank your lucky stars there isn’t “global” chat. You can always go to one of the literally dozens of other maps if map chat is the problem.

Even if you are level 10 in Queensdale, there are still 4 other maps to go to.

If the problem is whispers, and you don’t block, there is nothing anyone can do.

I have played this game for a few thousand hours over the last 3 years. I may be “lucky” (rngesus would not agree), but I and others here have not seen the huge issues you are posting about. I block and report goldsellers. Other then that, I guess I have blocked a few others in 3 years, but I can’t for sure say. If I have, they could be counted on 1 hand.

If your experience is that different, I am sorry for that. But that doesn’t make this a bad community. As said earlier, go spend a few hours in Archeage, and you will probably agree with me after you see a community that fits your dreary description.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

No, I never said that, never did, the ones that I have received I did not ask for, nor did I provoke.

So how many death threats have you had? Over what period? And can you give one example of what constitutes a “serious” death threat? Just state some clear numbers and this whole confusing side-argument can be wrapped up.

Coulter.2315

If this thread is your definition of “mobbed” then people should be worried when you call for a global censor – and they are worried by you, hence the “mob.”

If you are blocking so many people the list can’t keep you safe then some of your own behaviour needs adjusting.

Block functions perfectly well and no extra censorship is needed in game (you could also put on a filter if you are still unhappy).

Also “death threats” do not exist in GW2, you cannot have your life in any danger (they don’t know where you live, unless the trolls are coming from inside the house lightning cracks).

Ally.4382

If you see same people still that offend you then you do not use block tool as intend. It impossible to see chat from person you block. So what this say is you do not use block tool.

I do not say what some people say bad in game is right. But if you do not use block tool to help not see what these people say that offend then I do not know what to tell you.

As many say report and block. You will enjoy game much more not worry about these people because you can not see what they say.

If somebody was being offensive, I could block them, then tomorrow said person could come up to you, Qugi, and be offensive to you…
I think it would be nice if that could be prevented. That’s all I am trying to achieve here.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There we go with the you’re sensitive again, maybe I AM, maybe I’m NOT? How does that make any of this acceptable? It doesn’t. It shouldn’t.

Make WHAT acceptable? What are we talking about? Give one clear example of a chat conversation where someone was rude to you or make a death threat and we can look at it and say whether it’s acceptable or not.

And, no, you don’t need screenshots. Surely you read the conversations? Just recite the last one. I’ll even give you some (hypothetical) example:

Fred (not his real name): I say, old bean!
George (not his real name): Huh? Me?
Fred: Indeed. You stuffed up my pvp winning streak, you scruffy nerf-herder!
George: Sorry.
Fred: That won’t do, old chap. Tonight I shall dine on your liver.
George: What time shall I expect you?

There you go. An example of rudeness… or is it?

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not mobbing for us to tell you that our experiences don’t match yours, that the examples you give to back yourself up are either hypothetical, vague or so extreme as to be unlikely to be a daily thing. Nor is it mobbing to tell you to use the tools the game gives you before you ask for more tools. If you had been blocking you wouldn’t be seeing multiple offenses from the same person and you wouldn’t feel the need to ask for more tools to do what the game is already doing for everyone else here.

From now on, block. And you won’t need these extra tools you’re asking for.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

If somebody was being offensive, I could block them, then tomorrow said person could come up to you, Qugi, and be offensive to you…
I think it would be nice if that could be prevented. That’s all I am trying to achieve here.

And I would use report and block tool as intend. Then go back to enjoy my game forget about this person. But again you say see player repeat offend. So you do not use block tool if you see same person again that offend you. Sorry but use tool available.

I believe person that repeat offend many player get block enough they talk to them self after some time. I do not care because I never see them again.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Ally.4382

I can’t believe the repetition in this thread. Guys. Please.
Like, how many times do I need to say I came here to talk about any ideas that we could come up with to help out support in this game…

So you think support is good. Great.

Maybe you agree with me that a little more could be done? Okay. Cool. So what ideas do you have in mind?

So you disagree with me? Fine. It can stop there, no need to go ham on me when I didn’t ask for any of it.

Coulter.2315

Qugi then blocks them… Or maybe he doesn’t because he doesn’t find them offensive he finds them funny… This leads to the main problem – you are now deciding what Qugi can and cannot read.

Your desire for preblocking based on your own subjective definition (which seems a little oversensitive) of “offensive” removes Qugi’s ability to choose. This power I will not entrust to you or anyone else, I can make my own blocking choices.

Imagine I decide your notions are offensive Ally, I block you, you’re now invisible to everyone – does this outcome not concern you?

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Seriously a third page of this nonsense? When you quit because all the rude folk out there can I have your stuff?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Seriously a third page of this nonsense? When you quit because all the rude folk out there can I have your stuff?

Hey!!! I asked first!

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

Zoltar has been super reasonable, he deserves first crack at the leftovers

Attachments:

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

(edited by OrbitalButt.5708)

Ally.4382

Qugi then blocks them… Or maybe he doesn’t because he doesn’t find them offensive he finds them funny… This leads to the main problem – you are now deciding what Qugi can and cannot read.

Your desire for preblocking based on your own subjective definition (which seems a little oversensitive) of “offensive” removes Qugi’s ability to choose. This power I will not entrust to you or anyone else, I can make my own blocking choices.

Imagine I decide your notions are offensive Ally, I block you, you’re now invisible to everyone – does this outcome not concern you?

No, ArenaNet is deeming whether it’s offensive.
I have tried to use the examples I have given in the thread as they are very easy to be able to say they are not subjective (as in, most would rather not receive these types of messages).
I 100% agree with you that you should be allowed to make your own decision on what you see or don’t see. But I think it’s only natural that some of us would rather spare other people a future problem. If someone you reported for say, being a scammer, was dealt with, and that meant I never saw that person thanks to your report, I would be grateful.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I have tried to use the examples I have given in the thread

O_O

Uh. I must have blinked as they went past. Can you repeat them?

Ally.4382

I’d rather not.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Hey!!! I asked first!

Sorry can we split it, I couldn’t actually read very far past the halfway point on the first page.

To think about this in a way that makes since, could bad grammar be this excessive rudeness being discussed?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Hey!!! I asked first!

Sorry can we split it, I couldn’t actually read very far past the halfway point on the first page.

That sounds fair. You’ve suffered enough.

Seera.5916

But when asked for other examples of rudeness you’ve perceived, all you come up with is the death threat. If you get thousands of rude remarks it shouldn’t be too hard to come up with an example that is not a death threat. But since you haven’t, it made me wonder.

So please, stop with the death threat example. It’s obvious you can’t persuade people in this thread to be on your side with that example. By now you should realize that a different example is needed if you’re going to convince any of us.

Ally.4382

Everything I wanted to say is in the thread.

Is support in your eyes good? Yes.
Is support in my eyes good? I think something more could be done.

There is no convincing anyone of anything, I shouldn’t have to, the chat logs Anet have should suffice for them to make their decision.
Those who thought more could be done, I came to hear what they thought. (Ideas/Suggestions/Brainstorming)

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Is support in your eyes good? Yes.
Is support in my eyes good? I think something more could be done.

Those who thought more could be done, I came to hear what they thought.

LOL. Let that sink in for a moment……