A Treatise on Tipping

A Treatise on Tipping

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It honestly always really bothered me that people could skips JPs with a mesmer portal.

I mean, it’s literally effortless loot. That’s just messed up.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

Ok. I think a lot of people have misinterpreted the OP’s intent. Some of you keep getting caught up in the fact that the OP claims he or she doesn’t play a Mesmer for money then claims he or she is bothered by the fact that not many port recipients give gratuity. The OP isn’t saying he or she is bothered by a lack of tips because of the MONEY. It’s about the lack of a display of ETIQUETTE. The fact that this form of etiquette is monetary doesn’t necessarily help the OP’s case, but don’t let that suggest that the OP is only concerned with money here. The OP is simply arguing that tipping is a good form of etiquette in these situations and is suggesting that it actually be considered by more players. Considering how many players probably don’t even think about tipping Mesmers, the OP’s attempt to spread the word seems somewhat noble to me. It’s an attempt to spread etiquette.

None of this matters. Those are 2 contradictive statements. Period. No matter light you try to shine them in.

One side is op says he doesn’t care. On the other side op says they should tip more due to x reason. It DOESN’T MATTER what that reason is. By saying “they should” he already warrants that he believes people should tip. He made a STATEMENT.

If he truly did not care, then he would not have mentioned it at all. If its that big of a deal, he needs to ask for payment for his service, just like anything else in the world.

When i hold open the door for someone, I don’t even care if i get a thanks. Sometimes i do get a thank you, sometimes i don’t. I do it because im a nice person, not because i’m expecting something out of it.

I certainly don’t get kitten if i don’t get a thanks either, because i was never expecting anything.

OP is subconsciously doing this expecting gold, he just doesn’t want to admit it, and is trying to justify it through horribly reasoning, which most of the people in this thread have already pointed out.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Mizukiaki.8590

Mizukiaki.8590

I like to spend some time at the top of Jps watching players try to do the Jp I just did and offer a port to those who seem to need one because they are getting so frustrated or just not having a good day. I know sometimes I do not have a good day doing Jps I do allot. Some days I just like to hang out and offer ports to whomever. As for tips, once in a while someone will tip me but I don’t ask for them. I like getting thank you’s for payment.

Great games come and go, but the Awesome games are endless!!
Matron Kaldona Kye, Mesmer GW since launch.
Matron Kaldona Kye, Sylvari Chronomancer GW2 since closed Beta.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: watergenji.5816

watergenji.5816

Ok. I think a lot of people have misinterpreted the OP’s intent. Some of you keep getting caught up in the fact that the OP claims he or she doesn’t play a Mesmer for money then claims he or she is bothered by the fact that not many port recipients give gratuity. The OP isn’t saying he or she is bothered by a lack of tips because of the MONEY. It’s about the lack of a display of ETIQUETTE. The fact that this form of etiquette is monetary doesn’t necessarily help the OP’s case, but don’t let that suggest that the OP is only concerned with money here. The OP is simply arguing that tipping is a good form of etiquette in these situations and is suggesting that it actually be considered by more players. Considering how many players probably don’t even think about tipping Mesmers, the OP’s attempt to spread the word seems somewhat noble to me. It’s an attempt to spread etiquette.

None of this matters. Those are 2 contradictive statements. Period. No matter light you try to shine them in.

One side is op says he doesn’t care. On the other side op says they should tip more due to x reason. It DOESN’T MATTER what that reason is. By saying “they should” he already warrants that he believes people should tip. He made a STATEMENT.

If he truly did not care, then he would not have mentioned it at all. If its that big of a deal, he needs to ask for payment for his service, just like anything else in the world.

When i hold open the door for someone, I don’t even care if i get a thanks. Sometimes i do get a thank you, sometimes i don’t. I do it because im a nice person, not because i’m expecting something out of it.

I certainly don’t get kitten if i don’t get a thanks either, because i was never expecting anything.

OP is subconsciously doing this expecting gold, he just doesn’t want to admit it, and is trying to justify it through horribly reasoning, which most of the people in this thread have already pointed out.

Ok. I think we interpreted his initial statement rather differently. I recall him saying something like “I didn’t get into Mermerism for the money”, not “as a mesmer, I never cared about the money”. Now you could interpret the former to include the meaning of the latter, but I did not interpret it this way. I don’t think that statement encompassed whether or not he cares about getting tips. It was simply meant to suggest that he didn’t start using a mesmer for anything related to money specifically. That would mean his next statement about being bothered by lack of tips is NOT contradictory to his first.

But, regardless of what the OP meant exactly, I think that more people should at least consider it one way of showing thanks (and to actually show thanks more often, perhaps). It’s, as I said, a form of etiquette that I don’t think should be frowned upon.

EDIT: Also, I think that the very idea of spreading this idea of in-game gratuity for a service such as portaling would foster more friendly interactions between players. Even if I thought the OP was being presumptuous about whether people SHOULD tip or not, I think tipping in and of itself would make for a more pleasant experience for everyone involved.

(edited by watergenji.5816)

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Chiros.6724

Chiros.6724

If that was truly OPs intent then he would have been asking for thank yous, not money.

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

If that was truly OPs intent then he would have been asking for thank yous, not money.

Correct. Ettiquette is a different discussion altogether.

Also from Ops statement………………..

“Then BAM, through the magic purple gateway to free loot. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing I’d ever seen in an MMO, that you could do that for people. I knew right then that I wanted to make a Mesmer. More than that, that I wanted to get really good at JPs.”

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: watergenji.5816

watergenji.5816

Correct. Ettiquette is a different discussion altogether.

Also from Ops statement………………..

“Then BAM, through the magic purple gateway to free loot. I remember thinking that was the coolest thing I’d ever seen in an MMO, that you could do that for people. I knew right then that I wanted to make a Mesmer. More than that, that I wanted to get really good at JPs.”

Ok. I get where I made a mistake. I posted about the OP’s intent when I should have posted about the topic itself. My apologies.

On topic: I find tipping to be very polite and rather appropriate (at least for the tougher JPs). Now SHOULD people tip? Not necessarily. I think people should give it consideration at least, though. That being said, if mesmers demand tips, I feel that’s completely uncalled for. On the converse of that, players shouldn’t demand ports either. It’s all about showing etiquette in either situation. I certainly like the idea that this mindset of tipping is being spread, though.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Fuji.6284

Fuji.6284

I think you misunderstood OP and gave him some points. I salute your good intent.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: ElforTheLandStander.7052

ElforTheLandStander.7052

Wow. Just got home, didn’t expect this to get nearly this much attention/debate. This is about the reception I was anticipating, though, in terms of sentiment if not quantity.

Half “he’s whining because he wants money”, half “he’s on a mission to civilize”. Which is fair, I suppose. My choice of phrasing may have been somewhat contradictory, I can see how people are interpreting it as “Yeahhhhh I’m not saying I want more money, but….I totally want more money.” :P

And I suppose it is naive to resent not getting tips when you’re unwilling to ask for them, someone pointed out that a simple “, tips appreciated.” at the end of the port announcement isn’t unreasonable rather than expecting people to read minds about it.

Like I said, it’s not ABOUT the money, it’s about feeling like you aren’t taken for granted. And a small, pittance amount of coin can be a good way to convey that. Some people tip, some people say thanks, some people do both…and some people do nothing, and that kind of bugs me more than perhaps it should. Not enough to actually say something to them about it, mind you, but enough for my inner monologue to be like “…ingrate.” as they accept a port and then just silently run off.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Wow. Just got home, didn’t expect this to get nearly this much attention/debate. This is about the reception I was anticipating, though, in terms of sentiment if not quantity.

Half “he’s whining because he wants money”, half “he’s on a mission to civilize”. Which is fair, I suppose. My choice of phrasing may have been somewhat contradictory, I can see how people are interpreting it as “Yeahhhhh I’m not saying I want more money, but….I totally want more money.” :P

And I suppose it is naive to resent not getting tips when you’re unwilling to ask for them, someone pointed out that a simple “, tips appreciated.” at the end of the port announcement isn’t unreasonable rather than expecting people to read minds about it.

Like I said, it’s not ABOUT the money, it’s about feeling like you aren’t taken for granted. And a small, pittance amount of coin can be a good way to convey that. Some people tip, some people say thanks, some people do both…and some people do nothing, and that kind of bugs me more than perhaps it should. Not enough to actually say something to them about it, mind you, but enough for my inner monologue to be like “…ingrate.” as they accept a port and then just silently run off.

Would thank you’s be enough of a tip? A “thanks for the port”.

I thank when I use a port (I’ve so only accepted a port to the top of platform in thamonova reactor before Fire Ele).

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You’re trading your portal for their gratitude but you let them think it is a gift. You should tell them first, before porting, that you expect them to compliment or tip you for your service.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

“selling portals to _ for compliments” sounds like the kind of thing one would post in the funniest lfgs thread

:X

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

A Treatise on Tipping

Chiros.6724

Like I said, it’s not ABOUT the money, it’s about feeling like you aren’t taken for granted. And a small, pittance amount of coin can be a good way to convey that.

If you really meant this you would have structured your post around gratitude (like a “thank you”), not money. Just look at the title of your post. “A Treatise on Tipping.” It sounds rather condescending. It’s like you think that you are teaching us some grand lesson that will make us better people. Or at least make us the kind of people you want us to be.

If you resent people for not tipping then you, on some level, feel entitled to tips for ports. It’s really that simple. I wholeheartedly disagree with that premise. I don’t feel entitled to someone’s money when I go out of my way to give them a port, give them swiftness, give them boons, strip conditions, rez them, etc.

On the other hand, I have no problem at all with people that are up front about selling ports. People shouldn’t have to read your mind to find out if you’re expecting something in return. If you’re up front about it then that’s totally cool.

(edited by Chiros.6724)

A Treatise on Tipping

Chiros.6724

“selling portals to _ for compliments” sounds like the kind of thing one would post in the funniest lfgs thread

:X

I love this idea. “Port to the top in exchange for telling me that these pants don’t make my butt look fat.” I will be doing some variations on this.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’ll take a mesmer portal if it is there.

But don’t expect a tip. Not like you’re losing out on any thing resource wise. A thank you is all you’ll get.

I don’t mind doing the jumping puzzle any way.

Neat if there is one. Don’t care if there’s not.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I demand hugs for my portals. Or baked goods. I’m easy.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: ChyldeMyst.5098

ChyldeMyst.5098

I don’t understand all the hostility on this thread. When a Mesmer is providing portals to the end of a jump puzzle, they are providing you with free loot and possibly free achievements with absolutely no investment of time or energy on your part. They, on the other hand, have invested the time to learn and complete the puzzle and are now spending MORE of their time lingering in place to help YOU, rather than continuing on their way to the next event/map/puzzle/story chapter. If the time and effort you’re going to save isn’t worth five silver, do the kitten ed puzzle yourself and stop taking advantage of their generosity.

For the record, I do have a Mesmer, but I don’t provide portals. Because I positively blow at jumping puzzles. And even when I’m too broke to pay attention (which is most days), I’ll tip a few copper or a piece of my chest loot to a Mesmer who makes my life a little easier. They’re going out of their way to help me, why should I be an ungracious clown-waffle to them?

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I used to run an opening service in another MMO, where I’d unlock things for people to get in. And usually “Will open caves for food” got all kinds of humorous donations, from the barest potentially “edible” item to actual useful food. One person brought a beer.

And yes, I did do a variant once: “Will open caves for new pants, orcs stole my old ones.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

If the time and effort you’re going to save isn’t worth five silver, do the kitten ed puzzle yourself and stop taking advantage of their generosity.

I’d be happy to, but if they’re already dropping the portal I see no reason not to take it. That being said, I always do make sure to thank the Mesmer in question.

When I port people on my Mesmer, it’s because I feel like porting people. I don’t want money or anything, and if people sent me some I’d most likely return it- it’s not actually a scenario that’s occurred yet. In this topic, though, it seems like TC just wants to get paid without having to directly say so up front.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Ah gw2 community the best of gw1.
I run dungeons for tips occasionally. Thus far out of about 30ish runs I have gotten 2 tips and 3 thank you’s. Chat is usually dead silent during it.

I remember running Droks for tips and dying because of the chat. I remember making more from tips than charging actual prices.

Heck I got more thank you’s and tips running The Great Northern Wall than in all my time of gw2.

Didnt even have to ask for tips majority of the time. People just gave it to you, said “afk” and GG.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

OK I’ve never tipped although I’ve used another mesmer’s portal maybe 2 or 3 times. One time I wasn’t sure where I ended up so am cautious of trying any more. I did get one to the top of a jumping puzzle in the second expansion of Dry Top. I have dropped some, just not many, and don’t really expect or need tips or thank you’s but never got any tips.

So my question is how do you tip? Use the mail system?

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Back to the OP, I will always tip mesmers offering ports (I gave the mesmer porting for the Mawdrey JP 5g) unless they explicitly say no tips. I have a mesmer myself and have completed all JPs, but never ask for tips. I like to think of it as giving back to the community.

(I also love jumping puzzles, so I may be biased)

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

I think if you really expect money, you should be clear about it. Like i see so many times in LFG “<whatever JP> portal 2g” – okay, these could be a bit expensive, personally i’ve “bought a portal” only once and it cost 80s, but i knew exactly what i was agreeing to and decided it was worth it since it was a difficult jp (with a goggle at the end and 10 APs) that i did not want to do by myself at that time.
Instead of writing an exact amount in LFG like that 2g or whatever, you could write “Tips welcome but not mandatory” or something so ppl know your expectation.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I ask for tithes. Ten percent of your monthly gold income, please.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Yeah, this isn’t really a subject I think much about, mostly since I prefer to run the JPs myself – more fun that way. Not that I haven’t taken ports, it was just usually during community mass-porting events so it was no big deal.

But it’s a little different when I feel like someone went out of their way to help me. That did happen once (NSS dive spot, last one I had to get) and there was no way I wasn’t going to tip for that.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

I don’t understand all the hostility on this thread. When a Mesmer is providing portals to the end of a jump puzzle, they are providing you with free loot and possibly free achievements with absolutely no investment of time or energy on your part. They, on the other hand, have invested the time to learn and complete the puzzle and are now spending MORE of their time lingering in place to help YOU, rather than continuing on their way to the next event/map/puzzle/story chapter. If the time and effort you’re going to save isn’t worth five silver, do the kitten ed puzzle yourself and stop taking advantage of their generosity.

For the record, I do have a Mesmer, but I don’t provide portals. Because I positively blow at jumping puzzles. And even when I’m too broke to pay attention (which is most days), I’ll tip a few copper or a piece of my chest loot to a Mesmer who makes my life a little easier. They’re going out of their way to help me, why should I be an ungracious clown-waffle to them?

They aren’t providing me with free loot. The loot was already there.
Achievements wouldn’t be free there either, the achievement is there regardless of how i get there.

What they are providing is a CONVENIENCE, for people to not have to complete the puzzles.

Whose to say the people taking the portals don’t know the puzzle already? You assume everyone who took a portal every has no clue how to do a jumping puzzle?

Wow you one sided kitten.

“If the time and effort you’re going to save isn’t worth five silver, do the kitten ed puzzle yourself and stop taking advantage of their generosity.”

Wow, so thanks isn’t being generous.

I guess i should start paying people 5$ to hold the door open for me because it saved me 2seconds. Don’t mind that i already know how to open a door but hey talk about greedy. I now can no longer accept walking through a door now because i will be expected to pay that person 5$ for saving me two seconds.

I can no longer feel ok with just saying thanks to someone, now i’m OBLIGATED to pay or else feel like a horrible person in your eyes.

Just for the record, i have a mesmer, and i provide free portals all the time with NO expectation of payment or even a thanks.

Why?

its called… PAYING IT FORWARD. Something people who genuinely have nothing to gain out of doing something nice do. That’s why i have a problem with everything you said. I get free portals and help from people, and i pay it forward by doing the same

Its why the community is nicer. People help each other out without having to get kitten about tips and other junk.

If payment bothers you that much, ask for it. You can’t honestly expect that people and players will just change their habits. If you want something to change, you need to be the change. Ask for tips, and youll either get tips or you wont.

(edited by edgarallanpwn.8739)

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

This guy understands minimum wage law.

A lot of people think servers who get $2/hr don’t get minimum wage. They legally have to. Most of the time tips will get them there, but if it is a particularly slow restaurant and they don’t, then the restaurant has to make up the difference so they hit minimum wage.

If you are a server and you aren’t making minimum wage for your hours worked (after you factor in your tips), then you need to complain to your manager, because that is illegal.

Yes, they’re legally obligated to do it. Do they do it? Definitely not all the time (or even the majority of the time, I’d be willing to bet). And if employees complain to the manager, the employees run the very real risk of being fired (which no one would really bat an eyelash about because of the high turnover in the food service industry). It’s just like cases of employers firing women on the basis of their getting pregnant or an employer refusing to hire someone because of their sexuality or race or gender; it’s illegal, but it happens all the time.

Well that’s a different situation entirely. All I can say is to contact the Labor Department to have them audited.

We had a disgruntled employee who was terminated call the Labor Department claiming we didn’t pay employees properly for overtime (she was terminated because she was caught on camera actively sabotaging other employees). The Labor Dept. came in with two auditors (completely unannounced) and went through every single timecard, check stub, checkbook, etc.

They determined we were following all Labor Dept. regulations and went on their way after a full week of the audit.

But no joke, that one call prompted an investigation.

They seemed to take it pretty seriously.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

A Treatise on Tipping

Chiros.6724

What mesmers are doing is speeding up the process of someone accomplishing their goal in the game. Loot, achievements, etc. It doesn’t matter what it is. When I rez someone, give them swiftness, help them kill something they’re about to die from, give them boons, or even have a conversation with them to help them understand the game if they’re new… it all accomplishes the same thing. I’m helping them accomplish their goals in this game quicker and easier than if they did it on their own. Mesmer portals are not unique in this. It’s definitely polite to thank them for their help, but owing them money is something entirely different. Should I start pouting if people don’t tip me for those other ways in which I help them speed up or improve their gameplay? All those things I listed help them get loot quicker and get achievements quicker too.

You say we should stop “taking advantage of their generosity.” I agree with this. We should absolutely thank anyone who goes out of their way to help us. It’s rude not to. You also say that they are taking “MORE of their time lingering in place to help YOU.” Lets think about this. Even if doing a jumping puzzle takes more time and effort than the other ways of being generous to other players that I mentioned above, the difference is in degree, not type. All of those things help people get loot, save time, etc. So if it’s a difference of degree, then why are you arguing for tipping for portals and not rezes and other types of help? Shouldn’t they be tipped 1 or 2 silver (instead of 5 for a portal) since it’s just a difference of degree?

Mesmers and their portals are not special snowflakes. They do not deserve more than a thank you unless they are actively selling ports, which I’m totally ok with. It’s all this entitlement that has been the cause of the “hostility” in this thread that you mentioned. And frankly it’s not hostility, it’s a moral and ethical disagreement. I morally and ethically disagree that people should expect a tip for something like a portal. If someone wants to give a tip then more power to them. It’s the entitlement in this thread that I will never agree with.

(edited by Chiros.6724)

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

It’s the entitlement in this thread that I will never agree with.

Agreed with everything you said, but this is my key thesis that very few pickup on.

Everything else is just an excuse to try to disguise the fact that people feel entitled to tips for helping.

I don’t do any of that because i “pay it forward”. I help others too, and expect nothing in return. Its why this community is so nice and fun. I also own a mesmer for the record

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Back in my WoW days I would tip because Mage portals cost money. I rarely tip in GW2 because it is just time being spent, and the majority of the mesmers probably got ported themselves.

These will be my tips from now on: http://www.dumpaday.com/genius-ideas-2/quick-tips-for-your-everyday-life-28-pics/

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I kind of look at it this way: if you aren’t thankful enough to tip the guy or girl who helped port you to the achievement, then don’t take the portal.

Simple.

Gone to Reddit.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I kind of look at it this way: if you aren’t thankful enough to tip the guy or girl who helped port you to the achievement, then don’t take the portal.

Simple.

If the portal is there, I’ll take it. Simple. =P

Silliness aside, I remember when there was a diving goggle perch, before the Zephyrites got all blowed up. I tipped a pretty fair 10s for the mesmer who ported me up.

The etiquette sides on a simple “Thanks” if no announcement for tips was made. Even then, if you’re the mesmer “demanding” tips, call it a fee. If you’re saying “tips appreciated” and you get some, carry on, but if not, don’t throw a hissy fit.

What galls me is that mesmers minding their own business could get harassed by lazy kittens who think they’re owed a portal just by standing there. That’s crass and deserves a mesmer with a sense of humor enough to dump them into the nearest death trap. Or at least charging them for the service ahead of time.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

Simple.

Entitlement.

Simple.

If the portal is there, I’ll take it. Simple. =P

Silliness aside, I remember when there was a diving goggle perch, before the Zephyrites got all blowed up. I tipped a pretty fair 10s for the mesmer who ported me up.

The etiquette sides on a simple “Thanks” if no announcement for tips was made. Even then, if you’re the mesmer “demanding” tips, call it a fee. If you’re saying “tips appreciated” and you get some, carry on, but if not, don’t throw a hissy fit.

What galls me is that mesmers minding their own business could get harassed by lazy kittens who think they’re owed a portal just by standing there. That’s crass and deserves a mesmer with a sense of humor enough to dump them into the nearest death trap. Or at least charging them for the service ahead of time.

I need to remember that if that ever happens to me, but i can’t say i have run into that yet lol

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Mesmers and their portals are not special snowflakes.
… I morally and ethically disagree that people should expect a tip for something like a portal. If someone wants to give a tip then more power to them. It’s the entitlement in this thread that I will never agree with.

By the same token players are not entitled to a port from a mesmer.

Mesmers at the top of a JP may not even be aware of someone’s need. If I feel like taking the time I often provide portals if I notice someone needing one. But since I very rarely ever look at the chat channels (don’t even have them set up in any particular way on my characters) the only time I have provided portals for random players is if I noticed them struggling in the area. But if I’ve got my inventory window open and the BLTP window open trying to decide what to sell and what to salvage then I don’t even see the area around me. And if people are upset because I didn’t provide a portal when they expected one I’m completely unaware of it.

A Treatise on Tipping

Chiros.6724

Simple.

Just about any activity in the game helps you get achievements. Do you tip people who go out of the way to rez you, give you boons, kill something you’re having difficulty with, etc? If you want to tip, more power to you. But they’re not entitled to a tip just because they took a little time to help you and used a class skill.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

A lot of things in-game are done to make things easier for other players. The number of times I’ve slaughtered twenty L84 creatures to ressurect someone who earlier died to them and get “Thanks” is uncountable, but I never expect nor want a tip from them. The number of times I’ve soloed a boss in a dungeon after my entire team wiped during the final 25% is uncountable, but I don’t expect tips from them. Similarly, if I’m doing something on my Mesmer and happen to be able to help people with Portal, I don’t expect tips from them.

To expect or even want tips is invariably the very reason why so many people won’t tip you. You’re taking something that should be about kindness and turning it into some variant of asking for money, which cheapens everything.

Moral of the story: just be good to people for no reason other than to be good to them, and maybe someone will send you some silver along the way.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

… I morally and ethically disagree that people should expect a tip for something like a portal. If someone wants to give a tip then more power to them. It’s the entitlement in this thread that I will never agree with.

Mesmers at the top of a JP may not even be aware of someone’s need. If I feel like taking the time I often provide portals if I notice someone needing one. But since I very rarely ever look at the chat channels (don’t even have them set up in any particular way on my characters) the only time I have provided portals for random players is if I noticed them struggling in the area. But if I’ve got my inventory window open and the BLTP window open trying to decide what to sell and what to salvage then I don’t even see the area around me. And if people are upset because I didn’t provide a portal when they expected one I’m completely unaware of it.

No they’re not but i’m also not going to ignore a portal if its put down. Why purposefully refuse to take the easy way out? You can be ethical without being an idiot.

And nobody here has actually said their mesmer has been complained at for not making a portal, and i have never seen it either, so those arguments are null

A lot of things in-game are done to make things easier for other players. The number of times I’ve slaughtered twenty L84 creatures to ressurect someone who earlier died to them and get “Thanks” is uncountable, but I never expect nor want a tip from them. The number of times I’ve soloed a boss in a dungeon after my entire team wiped during the final 25% is uncountable, but I don’t expect tips from them. Similarly, if I’m doing something on my Mesmer and happen to be able to help people with Portal, I don’t expect tips from them.

To expect or even want tips is invariably the very reason why so many people won’t tip you. You’re taking something that should be about kindness and turning it into some variant of asking for money, which cheapens everything.

Moral of the story: just be good to people for no reason other than to be good to them, and maybe someone will send you some silver along the way.

Exactly. they’re not doing it to be a good person. If they were they wouldn’t care at all. Anything else said is just an excuse to cover up their want for money or their sense of entitlement.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

And nobody here has actually said their mesmer has been complained at for not making a portal, and i have never seen it either, so those arguments are null

Have seen it and have had it done to me.

Portal friend to top. horde saw and demanded I do it again. Lol’d. Hopped down and did a double portal. Lol’d as they wtf’d and pm’d obscenities.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I said that it happened to me back on the first page, actually. And I’ve also seen mesmers being berated in map chat for not dropping portals for JPs or Rhendak before.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

When Southsun Cove was new, there was an achievement that required an item that was found at the end of Skipping Stones, arguably one of the hardest JP in the game. Naturally, many of us grabbed our mesmers and worked through the JP and started porting people. I got a lot of thanks and a couple of people even tipped me a few silver. That gave me a nice feeling of being appreciated, even though I never expected anything beside a simple ‘ty’ for it. After a few days the tone was quite different; if there was no mesmer there some actually demanded that we brought them in to give ports. Needless to say, that was the day I took my mesmer from Skipping Stones, never to return. I don’t mind helping my fellow gamers along, but when they demand it and almost rage, that’s when I stop doing it.

Some other day, I was in Fireheart Rise, and had just finished Pig Iron Quarry when I saw the next person falling off half way, so I pm’ed and asked if he wanted a lift, which he gladly accepted, so I ported him up and took off. To my surprise, I received a mail containing 1g. I immediately pm’ed the guy again, telling him “thanks for the kind thought”, and returned the money. There’s no way I’ll accept that kind of tip when I actively ask someone if they want help.

Someone called it “paying it forward”, and that’s the way I like to see it too – if I’m kind to someone else they might be kind to the next person. If only 1 out of 10 actually pays it forward, I’ll have made GW2 (or RL) a better place to be and that’s really the only reward that matters.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Off topic but a funny story I have shared before. Back during the event that had those balloon platforms that you could ride to DR a bunch of us found a bot in Queensdale. As most know bots are programed to spam F constantly to pick up their loot. So we grabbed our Mesmers and portaled the bot to the balloon platform and then the bot took the ride. Never saw the bot again. He didn’t tip either. :P

The Burninator

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

I said that it happened to me back on the first page, actually. And I’ve also seen mesmers being berated in map chat for not dropping portals for JPs or Rhendak before.

ok, so ill give you that then, but 2 people out of everyone that’s posted here(someone else said they had). That’s a report and harassing player issue.

This doesn’t tie into the being nice, they are specifically requesting a service. You tell them theres a cost, and either they pay or it they dont. And if they harass, you block/report.

The topic is on “expecting tips” as a form of a gratitude, not mesmers being berated because they didn’t make ports. that’s a separate problem with a separate solution

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This was a oversight from ANet

Jumping puzzles should have had a dampener effect that prevents skipping them altogether with teleports.

Short range jumps for one or two difficult things, maybe. But not all the way to the end.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

A Treatise on Tipping

Seera.5916

ok, so ill give you that then, but 2 people out of everyone that’s posted here(someone else said they had). That’s a report and harassing player issue.

This doesn’t tie into the being nice, they are specifically requesting a service. You tell them theres a cost, and either they pay or it they dont. And if they harass, you block/report.

The topic is on “expecting tips” as a form of a gratitude, not mesmers being berated because they didn’t make ports. that’s a separate problem with a separate solution

But it does go hand in hand.

When people expect to get ported, they don’t view it as something to tip for or thank for. They expect mesmers to port. They view porting people as the role that mesmers agree to do when they make a mesmer.

You shouldn’t be expected to tip a mesmer you port. You should be expected to show gratitude if you didn’t ask for the port. Be it a thank you, a bow, or a tip.

If you asked for the port, then you should tip. Someone went out of the way to get you a port.

A Treatise on Tipping

edgarallanpwn.8739

When people expect to get ported, they don’t view it as something to tip for or thank for. They expect mesmers to port. They view porting people as the role that mesmers agree to do when they make a mesmer.

You shouldn’t be expected to tip a mesmer you port. You should be expected to show gratitude if you didn’t ask for the port. Be it a thank you, a bow, or a tip.

If you asked for the port, then you should tip. Someone went out of the way to get you a port.

We’ve already stated all of this, and proper solutions for each individual problem that could arise.

Whether it goes hand in hand with porting, this was not part of the OP’s issue to begin with, although i provided solutions to each situation.

As everyone stated, in OP’s case it’s a case of him subconsciously feeling entitled to tips, but not being alpha enough to ask for them.

As other have stated, if he was genuinely doing it “for the good of others”, he would be “paying it forward” and there should be 0 expectation of tips whatsoever. Op’s feeligns and statements conflicted in itself, and there in lies the problem, which solutions of either 1)asking or 2)just being a nice person were provided.

Again as for mesmer’s being "berated, you tell them your price. If they harass or berate you, you block/report them.

Or as others have said you could always port them to their death or something funny.

A Treatise on Tipping

Seera.5916

We’ve already stated all of this, and proper solutions for each individual problem that could arise.

Whether it goes hand in hand with porting, this was not part of the OP’s issue to begin with, although i provided solutions to each situation.

As everyone stated, in OP’s case it’s a case of him subconsciously feeling entitled to tips, but not being alpha enough to ask for them.

As other have stated, if he was genuinely doing it “for the good of others”, he would be “paying it forward” and there should be 0 expectation of tips whatsoever. Op’s feeligns and statements conflicted in itself, and there in lies the problem, which solutions of either 1)asking or 2)just being a nice person were provided.

Again as for mesmer’s being "berated, you tell them your price. If they harass or berate you, you block/report them.

Or as others have said you could always port them to their death or something funny.

And the thread’s topic was also why don’t people tip? Whether or not the OP expected tips or not is not the only topic of this thread.

OP shouldn’t have been expecting to be tipped, but that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t touched on a topic to be discussed. Mesmers and porting and the etiquette involved.

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Just about any activity in the game helps you get achievements. Do you tip people who go out of the way to rez you, give you boons, kill something you’re having difficulty with, etc? If you want to tip, more power to you. But they’re not entitled to a tip just because they took a little time to help you and used a class skill.

That’s such a gross over-simplification for selfish behavior, it should be criminal. If a mesmer takes the time to get to the end of a jumping puzzle I cannot get to, yes I tip them and also thank them.

I know that’s crazy. Polite behavior in an MMO? Shocking. But I also tend to thank people who do give me buffs and rezzes . . . should I go into a down state which is rare.

It’s not an entitlement. It’s another form of thank you. And I find it very telling that the loudest people to balk tend to be the ones with the rudest responses in the this thread.

Which, in turn, is no shock at all.

And what are we talking? A gold? All this fuss over a single gold coin worth of appreciation for help?

That’s just sad.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

A Treatise on Tipping

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

As a Mesmer that portal’s people all the time (tho not JPs since I rarely do them any longer…RIP Monthly), I never get or expect tips. I do it because it’s the decent thing to do and I feel good helping others…..

Sorry, but the OPs post does strike me as less than selfless…

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

A Treatise on Tipping

Chiros.6724

Who ever said they were?

A Treatise on Tipping

Seera.5916

Who ever said they were?

There are a few players who seem to think they are entitled. See the posts where players on mesmers telling their stories of how people demanded they port them.