A ? about the president of Anet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kossman.8206

kossman.8206

Does anyone ever wonder why we never hear from him?

Just askin……

kossman.8206

“Mike O’Brien is the president and co-founder of ArenaNet and executive producer of its games Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.1 He led the design and content creation teams of the original Guild Wars.2
Before co-founding ArenaNet, he worked as a company director and a lead programmer at Blizzard Entertainment where he developed the 3D rendering engine of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and led the development of Battle.net. He also worked on Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Diablo and StarCraft, where he, among other things, designed and created the MPQ archives used in all Blizzard games after Diablo. Mike O’Brien was featured as one of the most influential people in the computer and video game industry on PC Gamer’s September 1999 cover story “Game Gods”.
O’Brien also previously developed an Apple II emulator for Windows, AppleWin, and old DOS ASCII game, Pyro 2."

Noone is curious as to his thoughts on the state of the game? His aspirations? Goals with the game??? The direction he want to see it take?

He seems like a pretty down to earth guy to me….

Just wondering why we dont hear from him…..

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Because Colin has a much more winning smile?
Dat chiseled chin!
;)

Polish > hype

kossman.8206

Nah… I’d really like to hear what he has to say…. He puts his pants on just like we do…
And I am not sure hes ever posted on the forums. I could be wrong on that.

One would think that he would be an avid poster here. He took GW1 and turned GW2 into what it is becoming today. President/Founder or not…. I want to hear his thoughts.

I’ve been in chats with Anet during beta that he was a part of for the beta community. But its just like whooosh hes gone now.

Noone else wants to hear from Mike?

sighs
:)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

To be honest he seems to be more on the technical side of design than the aesthetic side. Anybody can have at least a moderate understanding of aesthetics just from experiencing creative content, the same cannot be said for the technical side of design. I wonder what he could even say about his portion of the work that most people could understand.

kossman.8206

hes the president and cofounder.. I bet he says alot.

Im not a kid..
Prolly the same age as him or older….
I for one would like to hear his thoughts and aspirations.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

$$$ your answer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

hes the president and cofounder.. I bet he says alot.

Im not a kid..
Prolly the same age as him or older….
I for one would like to hear his thoughts and aspirations.

Nobody said anything about being a kid, the average person isn’t a computer programmer regardless of their age, and that’s his principal area of expertise. If he’s going to talk about his work, programming and data will be the subject, and most of us won’t understand any of it, so instead he has people from a part of design we will understand do the talking.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Yeah I would like to hear more from Mike O, and the whole staff for that matter. It is so easy to make a quick, honest post on the forums and it does alot to keep customers happy (as communication does in any business/area of life).

I suppose they have nothing good to say though? And they generally do not seem to be working on what the forums are demanding (or it is far off) so they dont bother? Surely we do not expect them to read every post, but it would be nice if they would stay current and pop in with some general communication.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

$$$ your answer

So if we pay him he’ll talk?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

kossman.8206

Really? You totally misread what I was saying. And if the President and CoFounder of Anet was going to talk about his work… Programming and data definitely wouldn’t be the topic of his conversation.

Sighs

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

He used to post on the forum often during the first few months of release but hasn’t recently.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Just wondering why we dont hear from him…..

Maybe because he’s, you know, actually working at the game? Instead of stopping to talk to a very small minority of players in the forum, no matter how said minority may have delusions of grandeur and think they are important enough to deserve time from ArenaNet’s president?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

@Erasculio … I think you over analyzed people’s comments in this thread .. “delusions of grandeur” … lol. Obviously, people don’t expect him to come here and post comments on this thread.

Anyway, I think it’s a reasonable question given that he was quite prominent in the promotion of the game and even into the first few months after it went live. I always enjoyed listening to his comments and perspective on things. I imagined that we would continue to see him in future publicity announcements from Anet. So I think that is the motivation for the question raised by the OP.

He is most likely involved with getting it off the ground over in China. I’m sure that requires a lot of coordination and decision making – just the sort of work a ceo would be doing.

(edited by Rosen Myst.7641)