A bow firing flying rainbow unicorns

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

always makes me laugh how people are apparently too manly and/or serious to be able to bear the presence of this bow.

Agreed…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

i guess the game is not discriminating and EVERYBODY can find something they like, even the “different” peeps.

It’s kinda hard to not pick up on the undercurrent of homophobia in a lot of the complaints in this thread… but way to make it crystal clear.

Caught that comment and couldn’t go silent.

I hope it is very clear that there is absolutely nothing to do with homophobia in my anti-rainbow/anti-unicorn opinion. It is the breaking of immersion that annoys me. The effect would be exactly the same if the bow shot flaming Rock Dogs: it just makes absolutely no sense.

The part in bold… isn’t that the part where Sigmund Freud would raise an eyebrow?

From the original Guild Wars to GW2 ANet has always thrown fun things in there. It’s who they are and I appreciate them for it. I’m still waiting to see one of these in WvW, but if I had one I’d certainly use it… especially as bait to draw enemies into ambushes and traps. “He haz rainbow bow! Get him!” Portal bomb

Aw yeah.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The unicorn Bow is probably the second most popular legendary in terms of looks, right behind Twilight. They seem to know what the majority of players want in terms of flying unicorns.

Well, you’re right on that.

I myself saw the quaggan backpack for the first time and thought: “whatever”. The patch hits in, I open the store, I look at the thing, it looks back at me, I hit “buy” and now it’s on my back. My Asura Cultural T3 used to be Oxblood and Coccoa. Now it’s Blue Sky and White Gold: http://imgur.com/QL9GRZ4

I want them to make it bigger on Asura too. :P

Unfortunately, I still hate rainbows and flying unicorns, though, specially when they’re supposed to be bow projectiles and I like some degree of immersion. I really hope my opinion changes in the future. I know the world won’t change because of me. :P

Ah, she is cute as a button. And, where you are going in this post tells me you will be ready for unicorns in under two weeks. Meet you on the other side of the rainbow.

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

I love the changes and I’m seriously considering making a thief just so i can use this bow.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I had to look this up on YouTube to see it in action.

Right — the bow design is way spiffy. I’d love to use it, especially with my sylvari Ranger. The rainbow streaks are kind of neat too. But I think I’d get bored of them quickly. They should have made the rainbow effect much more subtle. But shooting miniature unicorns instead of arrows IS RIDICULOUS. It’s not even whimsical, it’s absurd and it should be indefensible.

It’s doesn’t appeal the the inner child, it appeals to the actual child. That’s the kind of cutesy silliness I would expect to see on the notebooks of 10 year old schoolgirls, right there with Hello Kitty.

I have to agree with the OP, the developers just went way too far with this. They had an absolutely great concept, and while putting the finishing touches on it, they put away the detailing brushes and polishing cloth, in favor of a sledgehammer and a blowtorch — a blowtorch with a rainbow colored flame, no doubt.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

It’s not about being too manly or too serious, it’s the simple fact that it does not fit in GW2.
It’s like a monster truck in a medieval setting, except that moster trucks are awesome at least.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The part in bold… isn’t that the part where Sigmund Freud would raise an eyebrow?

From the original Guild Wars to GW2 ANet has always thrown fun things in there. It’s who they are and I appreciate them for it. I’m still waiting to see one of these in WvW, but if I had one I’d certainly use it… especially as bait to draw enemies into ambushes and traps. “He haz rainbow bow! Get him!” Portal bomb

Aw yeah.

Beware the rainbow!

Posted by: Avatar.1923

always makes me laugh how people are apparently too manly and/or serious to be able to bear the presence of this bow.

Yup, the same thing happened at release with ppl complaining about mesmer and purple butterflies effects… it just didn’t suit their manly man aesthetics.

I also have a sneaking suspicion ppl complaining about it being “childish”..are probably 15-25 and desperate to prove how adult they are.

wait here…
i m ok with purple butterflies. its kind of magical, kind of very jrpg. it’s allright.
but a bow shooting unicorns ?
what next ? pistols with fart sounds and a shield with pee wee herman’s face on it ??

VOLKON.1290

Yup, the same thing happened at release with ppl complaining about mesmer and purple butterflies effects… it just didn’t suit their manly man aesthetics.

I also have a sneaking suspicion ppl complaining about it being “childish”..are probably 15-25 and desperate to prove how adult they are.

They’re just doing it wrong. I like to think that I’m so manly I can kill you with purple butterflies or rainbow unicorns and still look incredibly macho doing it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I love this weapon BECAUSE it’s utterly ridiculous and I love it more because you hate it! In fact, the only way this could be better is if mesmers could use shortbows so I could kill with butterflies, unicorns and rainbows! It is the ultimate trolling weapon!

Some people teabag. Some make allusions to homosexuality and lack of parentage. Some boasts about high killcounts and headshots. I drool over the thought that maybe, one day, I can twirl and giggle in a frilly dress while shooting rainbows, unicorns and making pretty explosions with fuchsia butterflies!

Yes I am male and I do it because it disturbs you! Welcome to the mindset of a mesmer! Feel free to leave my party anytime you can’t handle the “awesomeness”. I would let that shield hang low though. Butts make very tempting bullseyes.

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

I actually really like the dreamer. It’s a well designed, and pretty bow. The original rainbow effect was really cool too.

This new effect, however, is just ostentatious. Arrows leaving a rainbow trail was tasteful. Firing Unicorns is just gaudy.

edit: how about instead of firing Unicorns you just let the players footsteps leave a rainbow puddle?

(edited by Dakarius.3284)

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

It’s not about being too manly or too serious, it’s the simple fact that it does not fit in GW2.
It’s like a monster truck in a medieval setting, except that moster trucks are awesome at least.

Magic doesn’t fit in with GW2?

Are you aware that mesmer abilities burst into an array of butterflies and rainbows?

I’d say this bow fits in nicely.

VOLKON.1290

I love this weapon BECAUSE it’s utterly ridiculous and I love it more because you hate it! In fact, the only way this could be better is if mesmers could use shortbows so I could kill with butterflies, unicorns and rainbows! It is the ultimate trolling weapon!

Some people teabag. Some make allusions to homosexuality and lack of parentage. Some boasts about high killcounts and headshots. I drool over the thought that maybe, one day, I can twirl and giggle in a frilly dress while shooting rainbows, unicorns and making pretty explosions with fuchsia butterflies!

Yes I am male and I do it because it disturbs you! Welcome to the mindset of a mesmer! Feel free to leave my party anytime you can’t handle the “awesomeness”. I would let that shield hang low though. Butts make very tempting bullseyes.

My main is a mesmer as well… you may be on to something here to be honest. I love the confusion you can cause with a spread of clones running around and assorted invisibilities to make you disappear… it’s a fun way to take someone down. Brain first, then body. Perhaps there’s a certain mentality needed to appreciate butterflies and unicorns as weapons of mass confusion?

This reminds me… I’d like to see this bow being fired under the effects of Time Warp.

#TeamJadeQuarry

^

allright :/

teso cant come soon enough.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I remember when people said this about the engineer’s mines having LED lights.

They said they would refuse to play if they were not changed.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

I actually really like the dreamer. It’s a well designed, and pretty bow. The original rainbow effect was really cool too.

This new effect, however, is just ostentatious. Arrows leaving a rainbow trail was tasteful. Firing Unicorns is just gaudy.

edit: how about instead of firing Unicorns you just let the players footsteps leave a rainbow puddle?

100% agree the unicorn killed it. im ok with the rainbow if it isnt too overwhelming.

I remember when people said this about the engineer’s mines having LED lights.

They said they would refuse to play if they were not changed.

next patch your pistol will make fart sounds and you’ll have a shield with a clowns face on it.

seriously, I (hopefully we) are trying to say; we accepted a lot of stuff we dont really feel immersive or cool, but now, it s too much.
people on brooms shooting rainbows with quaggan backpacks…. i…. i dont feel it.

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

Why are people surprised that it isn’t everyone’s idea of “fun” to have some childish, weaboo inspired item like this in the game?

Personally, my idea of a pleasing aesthetic is realistic, real-world, medieval inspired items (and that includes all these ridiculous big two-handed hammers and greatswords). Judging by the design choices of a lot of MMOs these days I’m in a minority there.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I’m really not sure why people are upset. GW2 is a western developers(under an Asian companies umbrella) take on an Asian “grinder” MMO, of course it’s going to have crazy things like rainbow bows and unicorns. You grind for 100’s of hours and BAM, a bow that shoots unicorns – seems fitting to me. I’d love to see one in person for the laughs, bu I have yet to see one in game on my new server, but there were many Dreamer’s on my old server, CD, go figure…

im ok with a touch of “jrpg” thrown in there.
childlike characters, squirrel tail on mario, final fantasy stuff etc…

but it can be well done, i feel gw2 with flying brooms and unicorn shooting bows are just taking a simplistic, uninspired and uninspiring design route by going dumb dumb.

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

Open your eyes, you’ll see, your eyes are open.

I get what you are trying to do and wish it would work but not, this is a brony bow.

It’s called the dreamer, it’s a robot unicorn attack reference.

i loved that game, it was so much win
- i think this mightve been a knee jerk reaction so that people would stop calling it the brony bow, it looks horrible now (though; tbf, i wasnt too keen on it before)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: ubaid.8213

ubaid.8213

You know, it has nothing to do with being too manly or serious, or young.

I’m a 44-year-old man. I’m confident enough in my masculinity to wear pink shirts and ties. I’m old enough to think the idea of a bow that shoots rainbows is sophomoric and unrealistic – even in a fantasy setting. I’m at ease with purple butterflies. Anyone you meet who knows me would tell you that the last descriptor they’d use for me is “serious.” In fact, my girlfriend frequently complains that I don’t take things seriously enough. So you’re wrong on all of those counts.

Now, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I just think that you don’t have to have the fluffy bunny stuff in a game carrying the “Guild Wars” name. I have no objection to the bow itself. I object to it firing rainbow pretties. It is, frankly, stupid and very, very childish.

And the point in my previous post – anyone else’s opinion notwithstanding – is that Guild Wars has always been better than that.

It has never been in the same group as what I view as lesser games like WoW, Aion, Perfect World, Forsaken World, and all the other cookie-cutter MMOs (which GW2 really is – despite how much they want to say it’s different) that pander to the angsty teens who wander around clutching large pink kitten dolls and think it’s cool.

Any fantasy game requires a suspension of disbelief – a very high suspension – to be effectively immersive. For that immersion to work, things in the world have to make sense.

Like it or not, GW2 is actually fairly dark in its tone. Let’s think about that.

• Bandits are everywhere
  • Lion’s Arch is an entire city of pirates (you know, CRIMINALS)
  • The Cursed Shores are full of dreary and depressing areas (to say nothing of undead Quaggan, for Kormir’s sake)
  • Dwarfs have been all but wiped out
  • The Black Citadel is quite possibly the most depressing example of reckless industrial abandon you could find. DETROIT would get depressed in the Black Citadel
  • Humans are a diminishing race – what’s left of them are in a constant struggle for survival from enemies on all sides
  • Norn are REFUGEES, living in a diminished state from 250 years ago – and now with the latest update they’re being driven further into exile from their homeland
  • Two giant Elder Dragons have risen so far (Kralkatorrik and Zhaitan). Four more are coming.
  • Entire swaths of Charr homelands have been turned into dead zones called the Dragon Brand, and Kralkatorrik’s crystal minions lurk the land – attacking anyone they come across
  • A shorbow shoots pretty rainbows
  • With the new rumblings in the northern Shiverpeaks driving Norn and other species south, it is likely that a third giant Elder Dragon (Jormag) will rise very soon, indeed
  • Evil Asura are running experiments on living and unwilling test subjects
  • Ghosts infest Ascalon and attack any living people who enter their domain
  • Centaurs – once often friendly toward others – now kill humans in their own homelands on a regular basis
  • The Nightmare Court consolidate more power
  • The Gods have left the world, and animals drink water from the altars of the holy places

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong. ..

That’s why the ridiculous pretty rainbow kills immersion. This is a dark, dark, DARK game.

It’s got nothing to do with masculinity, seriousness or age. It’s got to do with something that doesn’t fit in the world it’s been shoved into.

(edited by ubaid.8213)

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I’m really not sure why people are upset. GW2 is a western developers(under an Asian companies umbrella) take on an Asian “grinder” MMO, of course it’s going to have crazy things like rainbow bows and unicorns. You grind for 100’s of hours and BAM, a bow that shoots unicorns – seems fitting to me. I’d love to see one in person for the laughs, bu I have yet to see one in game on my new server, but there were many Dreamer’s on my old server, CD, go figure…

^ I don’t know about this. I was excited about GW2 specifically because it was a western-based company and didn’t have all the silly nonsensical color explosions that so many “asian” mmo’s have. GW1 was pretty tame comparatively.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

^ I don’t know about this. I was excited about GW2 specifically because it was a western-based company and didn’t have all the silly nonsensical color explosions that so many “asian” mmo’s have. GW1 was pretty tame comparatively.

my post was supposed to be subtle sarcasm – guess I failed :p

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Rainbow unicorns seem like THE most western fantasy thing you could possibly add. The rainbow unicorn aesthetic is absolutely synonymous with an american girl’s school folder/notebook.

The brilliance of this weapons precisely that some people completely loathe it.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I’m a 44-year-old man. I’m confident enough in my masculinity to wear pink shirts and ties. I’m old enough to think the idea of a bow that shoots rainbows is sophomoric and unrealistic – even in a fantasy setting. I’m at ease with purple butterflies. Anyone you meet who knows me would tell you that the last descriptor they’d use for me is “serious.” In fact, my girlfriend frequently complains that I don’t take things seriously enough. So you’re wrong on all of those counts.

Now, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I just think that you don’t have to have the fluffy bunny stuff in a game carrying the “Guild Wars” name. I have no objection to the bow itself. I object to it firing rainbow pretties. It is, frankly, stupid and very, very childish.

And the point in my previous post – anyone else’s opinion notwithstanding – is that Guild Wars has always been better than that.

It has never been in the same group as what I view as lesser games like WoW, Aion, Perfect World, Forsaken World, and all the other cookie-cutter MMOs (which GW2 really is – despite how much they want to say it’s different) that pander to the angsty teens who wander around clutching large pink kitten dolls and think it’s cool.

Any fantasy game requires a suspension of disbelief – a very high suspension – to be effectively immersive. For that immersion to work, things in the world have to make sense.

Like it or not, GW2 is actually fairly dark in its tone. Let’s think about that.

• Bandits are everywhere
  • The Cursed Shores are full of dreary and depressing areas (to say nothing of undead Quaggan, for Kormir’s sake)
  • The Black Citadel is quite possibly the most depressing example of reckless industrial abandon you could find. DETROIT would get depressed in the Black Citadel
  • Humans are a diminishing race – what’s left of them are in a constant struggle for survival from enemies on all sides
  • Norn are REFUGEES, living in a diminished state from 250 years ago – and now with the latest update they’re being driven further into exile from their homeland
  • Two giant Elder Dragons have risen so far (Kralkatorrik and Zhaitan). Four more are coming.
  • Entire swaths of Charr homelands have been turned into dead zones called the Dragon Brand, and Kralkatorrik’s crystal minions lurk the land – attacking anyone they come across
  • A shorbow shoots pretty rainbows
  • With the new rumblings in the northern Shiverpeaks driving Norn and other species south, it is likely that a third giant Elder Dragon (Jormag) will rise very soon, indeed
  • Centaurs – once often friendly toward others – now kill humans in their own homelands on a regular basis

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong. ..

That’s why the ridiculous pretty rainbow kills immersion. This is a dark, dark, DARK game.

It’s got nothing to do with masculinity, seriousness or age. It’s got to do with something that doesn’t fit in the world it’s been shoved into.

I’m a 26 year old female, I like pink, rainbows and cute things as much as I like ‘masculine’ things like beer and games like gears of war 2. I think it’s your perception that anything pink, cute or consisting of rainbows is ‘Angsty Teenager’ stuff personally I think it’s quite a narrow minded attitude.

Colours have nothing to do with level of maturity and unicorns for example have quite a mature historical background in the form of mythology. If you actually look at the bow without associating the unicorn with my little pony the unicorn being shot is quite a majestic steed and the rainbow mane beautiful. The bow itself is a piece of art as well, delicate.

This is all about cultural perception and what people associate with things. Just because something is used in a child’s program doesn’t mean it on its own merits is therefore childish/immature.

Maybe try look beyond first association and appreciate things on their own merits, if you still don’t like it that’s fine that’s your opinion but don’t compare people who do like those kind of things with ‘angsty immature teenagers’. The fact that you feel you are superior to those who do like those things is the immature attitude here if anything.

Also, Not everything needs to be serious within the game. In reality we have wars and awful things but we also have adorable, beautiful things. Nobody complains about those things ruining immersion in reality.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

VOLKON.1290

• Bandits are everywhere
  • The Gods have left the world, and animals drink water from the altars of the holy places

And yet… even in these dragon-cursed times there are still bows that shoot unicorns and rainbows, mesmer shatters sending butterflies out, areas of immense beauty, children laughing and playing… perhaps your immersion needs a peoples suppressed by the darkness to feel right. Mine needs people rising above it and still finding frivolity no matter how bad it gets.

I’m older than you are too.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Nolimitz.9467

Nolimitz.9467

As a proud owner of this i am ecstatic about this change please Anet don’t listen to these non-owners and change this awesome feature on my legendary.

Now all i need is a jester suit and work on getting quip and i will be a happy thief in WvW

VOLKON.1290

As a proud owner of this i am ecstatic about this change please Anet don’t listen to these non-owners and change this awesome feature on my legendary.

Now all i need is a jester suit and work on getting quip and i will be a happy thief in WvW

Oh man, do you have any idea how much mischief you could cause in WvW?! You could lead an entire zerg right into a trap. Think devious and fun!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Nolimitz.9467

I now regret not making a big kitten norn so the unicorns would be as big as possible

Posted by: VBMeireles.4951

VBMeireles.4951

(…)

Any fantasy game requires a suspension of disbelief – a very high suspension – to be effectively immersive. For that immersion to work, things in the world have to make sense.One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn’t belong.

That’s why the ridiculous pretty rainbow kills immersion.

I’m 28. I’m married to a woman. We’re about to have a baby. I’ll buy her (my wife) a GW2 account. I’ll buy her a quaggan backpack. I have one. No big deal, but I like it because it fits my Asura. I have 8 Asuras (one of each profession) because I like them. They look like children and I like children. I find their voice and looks cute and stuff. I created a top sized Norn, a top sized Charr, but then deleted them and stick to Asura. (I’m the OP, for whoever didn’t bother to check my username.)

I still think the dreamer was a bad idea (and this is an understatement).
I still wonder how the kitten the idea got through. I’d pay to be there when the idea was first presented in their meetings.

You’ve used very well written text to explain the reasons why the present dreamer effect is bad. Anything I could say politely would be an understatement. Can’t really express how stupid it is without resorting to swear words. Lol. It really is comparable to making the predator shoot, say, ice-smoking Jormag minis. It’s just stupid.

I’m your fan.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a hater (only a Dreamer effect hater). I love this game deeply. That’s the reason for so much passion.

Vinicius Meireles

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Rifle that shoots rainbow pooping cats please!

I can live with that get r done.
I also cant use a rifle lol

Posted by: Catslock.3074

Catslock.3074

I like the bow since it looks like robot unicorn, but I can understand how it might ruin peoples immersion into the game if they are playing like RP and such with dark overtones. Ex. Fighting zombies- someone wants it to be dark and scary and another wants to take something scary and make it laughable. This is a weapon that people will either like or dislike, but it is an option in the game and I like options(opinion). Maybe they will make a death cannon Rifle with green skulls and it screams in the next round of weapons.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I think the only real argument people can make is that it’s the only legendary shortbow. Lack of variety is never a good thing so let us hope that changes soon.

In the meantime, I’m be emailing Anet as to why mesmers need a shortbow and giggling like a madman.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I think they should make a more serious and a more funny or unique legendary for each weapon type so that there’s something for everyone rather than demanding them to take away a legendary a lot of people really like.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Nolimitz.9467

I do agree they should have made an alternative style for each weapon type but i again emphasize that i love this bow on me! Neeeeighhhhh!!! Unicorn volleys!!

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

This whole post when it comes down to it. Is Legendaries are a lot of work, as such we want them to fit our definition of cool and fit our character.

Im a char engineer , i got the karma medium armor set colored to look like i came out of the revolutionary war. I use two pistols and would love to go for the legendary ……….but then i saw the quip . I still want a legendary but i dont want that legendary but its the only pistol options.

The problem is there needs to be more legendary so there are multiple skins available and you can make the one that fits you. Right now your stuck with one model and some are very “over the top” such as quip which simply dont fit my character.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: eqpablon.9072

eqpablon.9072

Hello! I am an Infantryman in the Army. If that doesn’t qualify as manly, I don’t know what does. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this weapon! Nothing would bring me more satisfaction than to mow down people in WvW in the most emasculating fashion possible; via rainbow farting unicorns.

Serious request, can you guys make one of the underwater legendary weapons shoot pink dolphins? I’d grind for some hot pink dolphin action. Who wouldn’t?

i dont know… seeing jormag getting attacked by unicorns and rainbows…

i dont know… getting into a wvw keep and being attacked by unicorns and rainbows…

i’m ok with the childish, more girly look of japanese rpgs. in ok with the quaggan backpack and pink armors and butterflies and little robots and leds on engineer turrets and all that make it kitten style.
but i think this bow goes to far.
i also dislike the harry potter flying broom.

its a matter of personal opinion, unfortunately for me, it s a big minus.

Hello! I am an Infantryman in the Army. If that doesn’t qualify as manly, I don’t know what does. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this weapon! Nothing would bring me more satisfaction than to mow down people in WvW in the most emasculating fashion possible; via rainbow farting unicorns.

Serious request, can you guys make one of the underwater legendary weapons shoot pink dolphins? I’d grind for some hot pink dolphin action. Who wouldn’t?

best post ever.
sarcasm well done.
i want a shield with a clown face that spins on it.

thats how stupid that bow is.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I like the bow since it looks like robot unicorn, but I can understand how it might ruin peoples immersion into the game if they are playing like RP and such with dark overtones. Ex. Fighting zombies- someone wants it to be dark and scary and another wants to take something scary and make it laughable. This is a weapon that people will either like or dislike, but it is an option in the game and I like options(opinion). Maybe they will make a death cannon Rifle with green skulls and it screams in the next round of weapons.

I find it ruins immersion and I don’t even roleplay. It’s the same reaction I would have to seeing Apache attack helicopters, flying in formation with Zhaitan, piloted by risen teletubbies and firing smurf-tipped rockets. It’s absurd and without rationale. Some people will say they want to see that, just to be contrary, but the empirical truth is that it would be plain STUPID — just like unicorns fired from a bow.

VOLKON.1290

i dont know… seeing jormag getting attacked by unicorns and rainbows…

i dont know… getting into a wvw keep and being attacked by unicorns and rainbows…

Think about this a moment… you’re looking over the bodies of your enemies knowing that they know that you not only just beat them, you beat them with unicorns and rainbows.

You win physically and mentally.

#TeamJadeQuarry

ubaid.8213

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a hater (only a Dreamer effect hater). I love this game deeply. That’s the reason for so much passion.

The funny thing is that I absolutely love Guild Wars. But when it comes to GW2 (which seems to me to have taken everything good about Guild Wars and trashed it to make a WoW-like version of the game), I’m actually pretty much a hater (although as I’d said before, I hate the effect, not the bow).

The only reason I log in is because I’m in a guild that have all known each other in real life for almost 20 years. We’re family, and I wanted to be able to play with them. Otherwise I’d never have bought the game after I tried it in Beta (yeah, I didn’t like GW2 even before launch).

And yet my passion comes from so very much wanting to like this game. I love Guild Wars deeply. It’s been the game I played for more than half a decade.

I really want to NOT hate GW2. Being immersed without ridiculous elements that are simply out of context with the world of the game would help with that.

That’s my reason for so much passion.

And we still come to the same conclusion about rainbows. Heh.

Anyway, good luck out there.

Nolimitz.9467

For some1 who hates these i am loving ur ideas!! Listen to his suggestions pls devs

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

The unicorn Bow is probably the second most popular legendary in terms of looks, right behind Twilight. They seem to know what the majority of players want in terms of flying unicorns.

I’m surprised Kudzu isn’t more popular, I mean sprouting flowers and that, that’s pretty cool.

Elyl Jrend

Nolimitz.9467

The funny thing is that I absolutely love Guild Wars. But when it comes to GW2 (which seems to me to have taken everything good about Guild Wars and trashed it to make a WoW-like version of the game), I’m actually pretty much a hater (although as I’d said before, I hate the effect, not the bow).

The only reason I log in is because I’m in a guild that have all known each other in real life for almost 20 years. We’re family, and I wanted to be able to play with them. Otherwise I’d never have bought the game after I tried it in Beta (yeah, I didn’t like GW2 even before launch).

And yet my passion comes from so very much wanting to like this game. I love Guild Wars deeply. It’s been the game I played for more than half a decade.

I really want to NOT hate GW2. Being immersed without ridiculous elements that are simply out of context with the world of the game would help with that.

That’s my reason for so much passion.

And we still come to the same conclusion about rainbows. Heh.

Anyway, good luck out there.

Ur pretty much in love with a different game i would suggest just to go back and move on it isnt changing any time soon or ever Q___Q

VOLKON.1290

Isn’t it odd that no one complains that a great sword firing lasers as a ranged weapon isn’t breaking their immersion? There’s a lot of “convention breakers” in GW2… that’s simply how it is. You can either let it clash with your immersion or absorb it as part of your immersion. If it’s “breaking your immersion”, ultimately that’s because you’re letting it break your immersion. It’s that simple.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Shlamorel.8714

Shlamorel.8714

I don’t think it makes sense for the issue of the unicorns to be about a personal taste or opinion.

To me the only objective question that matters is: do people generally feel that all legendaries have been equally attended to in terms of making their appearance legendary? That’s what I’m curious to know.

Of course we will all have different tastes on items. Doesn’t matter what we do and don’t like. I’m just surprised how drastic the epicness of the graphics are from some legendaries compared to others.

Maybe I am the minority in feeling this way though. That’s why I’m curious to know what others think.

ubaid.8213

I’m a 26 year old female, I like pink, rainbows and cute things as much as I like ‘masculine’ things like beer and games like gears of war 2. I think it’s your perception that anything pink, cute or consisting of rainbows is ‘Angsty Teenager’ stuff personally I think it’s quite a narrow minded attitude.

You seem to think that I object to the bow, the color pink and cute things. That tells me you either didn’t read everything I said or didn’t understand it. This is about in-game context. I never once said that anything pink, cute or consisting of rainbows is “angsty teenager stuff.” Not once.

You probably want to re-read what I said. I said the rainbow effect (NOT the bow itself) seems to be ANet attempting to pander to those angsty teenage types who prefer other games which I consider to be beneath Guild Wars (most of which are filled with silly, stupid, nonsense things that are incredibly immature).

I said that I wear pink. In fact, I’m wearing a pink shirt right now. It has nothing to do with color or masculinity or age. I said that I don’t object to the bow itself. I said that I object to the the silly rainbow effect of the bow and how it doesn’t fit the world it’s in.

That’s not narrow-minded, it’s a simple truth that GW2 is a dark game, with dark themes and dark tones. Are there pretty places in GW2? Yes. Are there children laughing and playing? Yes. Are there pretty weapons? Yes.

Are they in context with the game’s tone? Yes.

In the real world we have death and destruction on a regular basis, but we also have great beauty, charm and elegance. All of that, however, contextually has its place in our world. A bow that shoots rainbows does not have a contextual place in the world of GW2 (to say NOTHING of Guild Wars).

Thanks so much for trying to give me a lesson on mythology and color, but I don’t need it. Further, unicorns have never – ever – appeared in Guild Wars. There are none in GW2 – except for that bow. So, now that you’ve mentioned it, in fact I do object to the unicorn bow, because unicorns are unknown in the GW universe. That means that there is no context for a unicorn bow to exist in the GW universe.

Maybe try look beyond first association and appreciate things on their own merits, if you still don’t like it that’s fine that’s your opinion but don’t compare people who do like those kind of things with ‘angsty immature teenagers’. The fact that you feel you are superior to those who do like those things is the immature attitude here if anything.

So I can have my opinion and that’s fine, but if you don’t like what my opinion on things and what they equate to is, it’s not fine? And mine is the immature attitude. ’kay.

Also, Not everything needs to be serious within the game. In reality we have wars and awful things but we also have adorable, beautiful things. Nobody complains about those things ruining immersion in reality.

It just needs to be contextually valid in the world I’m supposed to be getting immersed in. Rainbow projectiles are not contextually valid in the GW universe – and certainly not when nothing else in the game looks anything like the effect of the bow’s ammo.

Nolimitz.9467

Omg! The horse has an ANET logo tatooed on its kitten thigh region Just keeps getting more awesome!!