A client for OS X

A client for OS X

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Hi!

I’ve been an active user of OS X the last years and I think it’s sad that gaming companies and developers doesn’t seem to care about the constantly growing OS X market. There are more and more users of Apple computers which I think game developers should start to take seriously.

Currently I’m running Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, but I would love to get rid of Windows once and for all. For a company as huge as ArenaNet I think they should try to be a flagship and show other developers how the future is (they have already changed the MMORPG genre, so why not open up a whole new world of platforms?) going to be.

I’m not putting Guild Wars 2 up against World of Warcraft, but Blizzard have understood how big the OS X market really is. They have even created an OS X client for Diablo 2! I played WoW a bit on OS X and I also tried it via Boot Camp on the same Mac, and the client for OS X was a lot smoother on my Mac as it’s optimized for Mac computers. After some quick use of Google I figured there’s about 10% of OS X users on WoW, which is a huge market if you ask me.

I haven’t found a post or anything wether ArenaNet is going to make a OS X client or not, but my guess will be that they won’t unless they get enough requests for it. I know the game is in an early state, so I’m not asking for a client anytime soon since they would have to program the whole game again to have it on a Mac.

So what do you think? Is it time for developers to see that OS X is becoming a huge market and they need to start focusing on that, or should t hey just do what they do today, tell the user to install Windows and don’t give a kitten.

Please keep this a serious and on-topic discussion, and don’t post if you don’t have something useful to add to this discussion.

Should we get an OS X client for Guild Wars 2?

Melder – Thief

A client for OS X

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Would be nice, but it would be a lot of work for ANet who have no experience in the Mac space.
Also, I use a PC at home and a Mac at work. Having no Mac GW2 client means no distraction while at work!

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

A client for OS X

Posted by: aotd.4098

aotd.4098

I switched to an SSD on my new MBP and rebooting to Windows is less than 30 seconds worth of time – so for me it’s less a question of convenience, more a question of philosophy.

As you say, Arenanet have shown themselves to be innovative and ignoring the status quo to reinvent several areas of gaming that have been stale for years.

I would really love to see them start working on an OSX client therefore: this makes sense from a user perspective, with the growing numbers of Apple computers being sold.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Chris.9531

Chris.9531

You could run it with Wine if you want to play without Bootcamp, I haven’t had a chance to test it myself but it looks promising. The Porting Team build hasn’t been updated in a while so I’m assuming it’s as stable as it can be for now.

A client for OS X

Posted by: stormstrike.9147

stormstrike.9147

Since there are reports of Linux users playing great with Wine, why not OS X users?

A client for OS X

Posted by: Elysian Rose.5283

Elysian Rose.5283

A client for OS X

Posted by: Branskins.9752

Branskins.9752

Perfect timing :p

Wrecking Krew [Krew] – Borlis Pass

A client for OS X

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

They sure work fast.

Benight[Edge]

A client for OS X

Posted by: ozymandias.5317

ozymandias.5317

This is fantastic news, and I am very appreciative. Thank you so much ArenaNet for taking the effort to team up with Cider to bring this client to a relatively small portion of your user base. It just shows how much you care about your players.

http://trikktheasura.wordpress.com
or follow me on twitter @trikktheasura
Trikke <Sorrows Children> [SRRW] — Sea of Sorrows

A client for OS X

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m pretty sure you could use Wine to do it… However i would LOVE for it to be available on Mac, hate the windows OS so much it’s ridiculous…. however, i am kinda happy that they don’t have it available for Mac because it helps me keep work (well school) and play seperate

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

A client for OS X

Posted by: Screenager.7804

Screenager.7804

druz, it is

;)

wave goodbye to work

Screenager
Executed [ExE] – Piken Square
characterselect.net

A client for OS X

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Windows can’t handle proper battery charging, Optimus, away mode etc so I’m glad I don’t need it anymore. Well, I rarely play on my laptop anyway…

A client for OS X

Posted by: Onza.7165

Onza.7165

When running it on wine i did notice a performance decrease, but i’m glad that they have put out a beta OSX client now. Goodbye Windows partition.

More violence, less violets.

A client for OS X

Posted by: skaaz.4281

skaaz.4281

Anet thinks so

Member of Cradle Guard

A client for OS X

Posted by: Screenager.7804

Screenager.7804

ah joys, working in IT support i know I am used to this sort of thing. and i quote somebody on the floor in work “does it run on ios6?”

/facedesk

Screenager
Executed [ExE] – Piken Square
characterselect.net

A client for OS X

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

Wooot! I know an unofficial cider port has been available, but I didn’t try it… But now that an official one has been released!

Yay! Also for those of you who are using this and not familiar with ports. After installing the App right click the icon in Applications or wherever you installed it, click show package contents and navigate through Resources → Transgaming → c_drive → GW2 and you can drag and drop your Gw2.dat from your windows partition into that folder replacing the already existing one. Saves you a lot of downloading;)

A client for OS X

Chobiko.9182

Anet thinks so

Source?

Check the download client section of your guild wars account. Then check my post over this one;)

A client for OS X

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

lol after i asked for the source i open facebook and it’s the top thing xD It appears Anet are working on the OS X capability after all…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

A client for OS X

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

Next

We’ll be opening up a Mac Tech Support forum a little later today, but for those of you that are about to have a test please remember that it is a beta client – things may be a little buggy

A client for OS X

Chobiko.9182

I am playing it ! And despite the performance decrease! It works like a charm!
And I am on a mid 2009 manually upgraded MBP 15" Highest spec at the time…

lol not that it ran so great in windows either.. but at least I could software overclock there easily.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Potatochips.7193

Potatochips.7193

Time for a Linux version now.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Sylar.6802

Sylar.6802

this is awesome, thank you

A client for OS X

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

Previous

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

lol not that it ran so great in windows either.. but at least I could software overclock there easily.

Work in progress, I will open a "this is my spec’ thread/sticky later so we can gather some info on performance

A client for OS X

Posted by: Potatochips.7193

Potatochips.7193

Work in progress, I will open a "this is my spec’ thread/sticky later so we can gather some info on performance

My apologizes for going slightly off-topic, but are there any plans at all to include Linux support in the future, or is it not something you can comment on at the moment?

A client for OS X

Chobiko.9182

Great to hear! Also the f1 button. f1 on macs and all the f-rows are by default extra functions… Need to either force a solution or tell all mac enthusiasts that they need to change that in settings.

I also realized I was playing on the longer battery life option. Switching now;)

A client for OS X

Posted by: Actinotus.6410

Actinotus.6410

Does anyone know if this runs under 10.6 snow leopard?

Sea of Sorrows

A client for OS X

Posted by: atticus.2897

atticus.2897

Does anyone know if this runs under 10.6 snow leopard?

Minimum requirements are 10.7 Lion.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Piia.7659

Piia.7659

Downloading now. This is amazing thanks so much for acknowledging this fast-growing userbase. I can think of at least half a dozen colleagues that will probably now pick up this game because they didn’t want to set up a Windows Bootcamp partition.

Can’t wait to provide some feedback… bugs or no, it’s still a Mac Client! Happy happy!

A client for OS X

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

Time for a Linux version now.

Needs to happen!

A client for OS X

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

OMG! I love you ArenaNet! Now I won’t have to boot into Windows to play

Only downside is I have to update to Lion or later. Any reason why you can’t run it under Snow Leopard? I have a MacPro and my system would make zero use of all that touch-screen/IOS compatibility stuff that the later OSes are full of.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Avatar.1923

hey guys! tell us how it plays and if i should switch to mac from my current bootcamp or should wait a bit.
i can handle a few bugs here and there, but i dont want to screwy
game experience (im only lvl 30).

A client for OS X

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

The timing of the post is perfect xD

But gratz to all Mac users!

The religion that is Guild Wars 2 will now reach-out to the biggest infidels in the gaming community!

A client for OS X

Posted by: Michell.4682

Michell.4682

Thank you for adding OS X support to Guild Wars 2. Like many, I own both PC and Mac so having the ability to play on either platform is a huge advantage. OS X is no longer a platform that can afford to be ignored, and you guys did the right thing by supporting it. Looking forward to my Mac Pro even more next year, knowing it’s full potential can be used not only in Photography, Film Editing, and Audio Recording… but gaming as well.

Thanks again!
Cheers

You don’t meet nice girls in coffee shops

A client for OS X

Posted by: CptBadger.5918

CptBadger.5918

ROFL, I can’t imagine how terrible the performance on Mac OS X will be, compared to the PC version, which is an unoptimized mess.

Good luck playing at 15 frames per second.

A client for OS X

pmiles.3489

Well apparently you have a horrid windows-based PC because GW2 runs just fine for me under bootcamp. Maybe you should buy a Mac.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Trent.3256

Trent.3256

Hi!

I’ve been an active user of OS X the last years and I think it’s sad that gaming companies and developers doesn’t seem to care about the constantly growing OS X market. There are more and more users of Apple computers which I think game developers should start to take seriously.

Currently I’m running Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, but I would love to get rid of Windows once and for all. For a company as huge as ArenaNet I think they should try to be a flagship and show other developers how the future is (they have already changed the MMORPG genre, so why not open up a whole new world of platforms?) going to be.

I’m not putting Guild Wars 2 up against World of Warcraft, but Blizzard have understood how big the OS X market really is. They have even created an OS X client for Diablo 2! I played WoW a bit on OS X and I also tried it via Boot Camp on the same Mac, and the client for OS X was a lot smoother on my Mac as it’s optimized for Mac computers. After some quick use of Google I figured there’s about 10% of OS X users on WoW, which is a huge market if you ask me.

I haven’t found a post or anything wether ArenaNet is going to make a OS X client or not, but my guess will be that they won’t unless they get enough requests for it. I know the game is in an early state, so I’m not asking for a client anytime soon since they would have to program the whole game again to have it on a Mac.

So what do you think? Is it time for developers to see that OS X is becoming a huge market and they need to start focusing on that, or should t hey just do what they do today, tell the user to install Windows and don’t give a kitten.

Please keep this a serious and on-topic discussion, and don’t post if you don’t have something useful to add to this discussion.

Where I have no argument against an OS X client, I just wanted to state that OS X is not the future… Android is. That is all =D

A client for OS X

Posted by: Spawn.7014

Spawn.7014

get a real computer and stop feeding the monster of Apple.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

ArenaNet, you are amazing. I really wanted to buy a Mac, and now I can and not have to install Windows. Thank you soo much. you guys are the best! I’m serious. Thank you. Now I can buy a Mac. I’ve been using Windows 8 beta for the last month, and I hate it.

I’m not crazy about everything Apple does. A lot of it is silly, and they are expensive, but I like less the route Microsoft are going.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Rednar.4907

Rednar.4907

Awesome Arenanet! On my part this will get you another GW2 player soon. (And another friend for me!)

A client for OS X

Posted by: Turpenstein.8213

Turpenstein.8213

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Turpenstein
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

A client for OS X

pmiles.3489

I will stop feeding Apple when they turn into Microsoft. To date, they haven’t.

I stopped feeding Blizzard because they turned into Microsoft.

ArenaNet is the Apple of the gaming world… they think differently and I for one applaud them.

Again, CHEERS to ArenaNet for saving us from the Microsoft of the gaming world!

A client for OS X

Posted by: naoxink.4097

naoxink.4097

I want to play it in my Snow Leopard! >.<

A client for OS X

Posted by: Kertesz.2439

Kertesz.2439

My hat is off to you, ANet. With the addition of an OS X client, they have removed my single biggest complaint about the entire Guild Wars franchise.

Thank you.

A client for OS X

Posted by: DeathByCactus.3954

DeathByCactus.3954

We shouldn’t be encouraging Mac users to game. Their computers (their big computers) are sub-par. They run mobile processors. So I found it laughable when ANET said that requirements are not finalized. Their computers are pretty much all the same.

With that said, I guess it doesn’t matter too much if I buy the mbp for my GF, regardless of how much money I am throwing away for an OP aluminum kiddie computer :/.

A client for OS X

Posted by: Leviathan.5397

Leviathan.5397

I also wanted to add my thanks to ANet for creating a Mac client. I’ve been a Mac user for over two years now after being a Windows user for, well… my whole life before that. I’m a software developer and after going to work at a place that uses Macs for development I would NEVER go back. I scrapped my Windows machines at home and we are all Mac now and loving it!

When GW2 came out I really wanted to play it so I bootcamped Windows onto my macbook pro and the game has been running great that way. However, I have been intimately reacquainted with the bloatedkittenthat is Windows. So, I’m VERY happy to learn I can soon blow away that partition and return my Macbook to a pristine Mac OS only machine.

I will, however, wait until the beta is complete and the final client is released…just in case.

THANKS AGAIN, ANET!

A client for OS X

Posted by: Bazz.2874

Bazz.2874

This is great news. I recently cancelled my SWTOR account because I hate running Windows on my Mac. I installed Windows again to try out GW2, but was really thinking I’ll go back to WoW.

Now I can play both. GOOD job ArenaNet. BioWare, take notice.

It doesn’t hurt any that GW2 has no subscription either.

A client for OS X

Posted by: hoops.4208

hoops.4208

A quick tip for Lion users on newish MBPs (not sure if it applies to iMacs..) make sure you uncheck the battery life saver thinger in Energy Saver in your System Prefs.. When this is checked it forces your mac to use the integrated graphics instead of your actual graphics card.

butts

A client for OS X

Posted by: Loyn.2830

Loyn.2830

Oh, this makes me so happy! I’ll be glad to test this client version!

THANKS SO MUCH!

A client for OS X

Posted by: Mystik.9561

Mystik.9561

I am using the newest Macbook Retina laptop and i have to say, even with setting the video settings to low, the client really gets my machine’s temperature up… This something I can correct on my side or is this something ANet has to correct coding wise?

A client for OS X

Posted by: Leviathan.5397

Leviathan.5397

ROFL, I can’t imagine how terrible the performance on Mac OS X will be, compared to the PC version, which is an unoptimized mess.

Good luck playing at 15 frames per second.

I run GW2 on my two year old MBP bootcamped. I run it at high (not ultra) settings and get a smooth 50-60 fps. My wife runs it on my new retina display MBP bootcamped on ultra settings and gets 60+ fps. By the way, the retina display makes the game look AMAZING.

u mad bro? lol