A complaint..

A complaint..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pony.3256

Pony.3256

Let me start off by saying I do love Guild Wars 2, but at the same time, I am very very disappointed in it.

If you’re here just to attack me with all your “Go play another game” or “Grow up” blah blah blah, move on.

Here are a few major problems for me:

1.) When things like seasonal events are launched, we get very little information on them.
-I usually have to find out all about them from other players or on reddit.

2.) (Major) ArenaNet doesn’t inform us on anything really.
When new builds are available, we have to guess for ourselves what was added/“fixed”.
-Where are the notes?? (I know some notes are posted, but honestly, it’s rare that there are notes posted and most of the time, not all changes are stated.)
-When the first change to crafting came out (Cooking change), we weren’t told for a while what had exactly changed.
Everyone had to guess where to get mats and what to do.
Then everyone started to complain about only getting butter and chocolate from sacks which was just barely changed.

3.) This one is another BIG one and always brings an argument..
The nerfing.. when will it stop?
Everything is always nerfed. Everything.
If someone found out a way to make decent money, guess what? Nerfed.
If someone found a place to get mats faster than usual, guess what? Nerfed drops.
Really?

4.) Test your stuff before launching it!!!!!!!!
-When the dungeon “fixes” came out, ANet admitted that there were bugs and people were stuck getting very few to no tokens. We had to wait a full week for the new “fix”.
I have seen many people already suggest a test server or something.
Why are we still suffering with new builds/patches with bugs?
Why not test them before?

Now I already know there will be people coming in to argue, but seriously think about it.
Are you honestly happy with how this game is going so far?
With all the messes that we have already gone through?

I mean look back at my 2nd and 4th complaint, those are just awful.
Most games have patch notes and everything for even the smallest changes.

A complaint..

Posted by: Ajwz.7316

Ajwz.7316

Agree, It is a major problem assumeing everyone reads reddit (I dont it kittening sucks as a community)

Actually find out what to do is a real problem

A complaint..

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

indeed last i checked game is called Guildwars2 not Reddit2

A complaint..

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

Well I don’t really agree, I think, at this stage they need to be able to make changes quickly when they see something that is a potential exploit.

One thing that would be nice would be a developer diary type blog that summarises what is going on, on a weekly or so basis, and I liked those state of the game posts that give an indication of changes and what’s changing.

Nerfs are always a tricky thing, noone really likes them, but they have to be done for the long term good of the game; a bit like bad tasting medicine.

(edited by roqoco.4053)

A complaint..

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

People react to you like that because this a community, but a lot of threads are complains. A forum is about player discussion and not a complains department. As a community we can’t change anything about this and moderators only check if you follow the rules.

Some complains are also opposing each other, e.g. gear gives too much advantage and others: ‘we’ want gear grind.

Try to discuss what is wrong with the game and things like service issues contact support.

A complaint..

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

1) If there’s one thing I hate in games is when everything is told to me.
“Do this, press X, cover, do that, go there” I love to play games, not just sit there like a zombie and execute commands when I’m told to. I love finding things by my self or asking people in game. This is a MMO, there are other people all aover the place and you are not penalized to think, you never are.

2) There’s always patch note. they are there:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news
They are usually posted between 1 to 10 minutes after a patch.

3) Never. Just like there’s always new laws and regulations in real life, new “nerf” and balance will always happen in game worlds that evolve with its player. Every MMO have those “nerf” whether it affected you or not.

4) They cannot test everything as if thousand of people was playing through it, other than having thousand of people playing through it. Sometime they have to make quick fix, and if you knew anything about anything at all, you’d know that very often when you fix something, it’s another that break. Arenanet is not immune to this just like no one is.
Also people cry bug for their own stupidity. Almost 1 time out of 2 when people complaint about a bug, it’s because they are too n’wa to even figure out how something work by themselves.

“Are you honestly happy with how this game is going so far?
With all the messes that we have already gone through?”

Yes, I see very little “mess” compared to you. I still see a few bugs but I report them as I see them.

“I mean look back at my 2nd and 4th complaint, those are just awful.
Most games have patch notes and everything for even the smallest changes.”

Considering your 1, I imagine how hard it must be for you to browse a website. So I can’t really blame you.
Anyway, I gave you the link where they post patch note. Try thinking a bit and you’ll figure it out.

A complaint..

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

2) There’s always patch note. they are there:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news
They are usually posted between 1 to 10 minutes after a patch.

Well that’s just it, isn’t it?

Check the link and there’s soooo much that’s missing. How many new builds came out yesterday, including a bunch of content, yet the newest link there is from 24/10.

A complaint..

Pony.3256

For some reason, I cannot quote anyone.

@Haishao

1.) Actually, in this game, you are penalized to think for your own.
For example, when the game first launched, obviously we had to find things on our own.
We slowly learned the dungeons and we started to think for ourselves and figure out how to complete them.
Then we were told that we were exploiting somehow, and rewards were nerfed.

Also, I’m not asking for a step by step guide, but there were dozens of people in map chat in Lion’s Arch asking “Where do we start phase 2?”, “Where do we get the book on the back?”, “Where’s the ghosts at?”, etc.

2.)Just like mulch stated, those patch notes aren’t even updated.
So I honestly don’t know what you’re looking at.
Like I stated before, info on new builds are never posted.
Then chat explodes with numerous questions asking what changed.

3.) I’m not an idiot, I know exactly how nerfs work, but the nerfs in this game are ridiculous.
I know I’m not the only one that thinks this.
There are many threads solely about the nerfs.

4.) You’re joking right?
Many MMOs have test servers for people to try out the next patch or update.
Also, I don’t mind if Anet just launches the update, but when we report a serious bug, they should fix it right away, not leave it going for a week.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Patch-Discussion-9-25-1/first
In that thread, a huge majority of players were mad and Anet admitted that they messed up, but we still had to deal with the problem for a full week.
Something that big should have been tested.
Obviously.

I like how you can come on here and try to insult someone who posted their opinion.
Real mature of you.
I’m so hurt.

Once again, check the patch notes.
They’re ridiculously outdated.

A complaint..

Posted by: Moderator.9672

Moderator.9672

Hi,

Remember to post in a respectful tone, providing meaningful contribution to the topic.

Users breaking those rules risk an infraction.

For more information, please have a look at our forum Code of Conduct

A complaint..

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

1) People will quickly make guides, part of the event is discovering and sharing, what you expect ANet to say: Here is the event and the instructions in how to do em? Nop. Any MMO that launches a new event simply say: “LOL NPCS EVERYWHERE GO DO THE SAME OVER AND OVER” Here the events fr such a young game are very good and entertaining enough to make me want to participate in them. Something I never did in any other mmo.

2) Ever read here is patch notes for X day update? What you expected a mod to call you and say: Dude we got a new build going on lol!!!

3)Nerfing @ Classes will never end, why simple. If you make a class too over powered the others will become victims of this, specially in pvp. You may say OH BUT I DON’T CARE ABOUT PVP Y_Y" Well look at WoW, Guild recruiting lalala raid lalala only want shamans and ranged dps. Every other dps and most heals got sent to hell cause shamans and ranged dps could put do everyone else. Bam nerf needed asap.

Money making bla bla bla. It needs to be nerfed, perhaps you simply don’t understand how the world works. If something becomes a good source of money it will need to be nerfed or everyone will do it and thus decrease the value of the currency of the place. Want real life examples? Gold hunting, real estate investments, pyramid organizations. So on it goes.

4) Clearly you have no idea how programming works, specially not in games of this scale. This is not super Mario bros my friend. Making events work flawlessly take a truck load of work, look at any game this big, Skyrim is not even an online game and 60% of it is bugged. Look at any other game, online or off and you will always find bugs, is the devs work to fix them and guess what? Anet does exactly that.

Am I happy? Yes. Hell yes I am, I been gaming since the early 90’s and this game is one of the few that meets my expectations, is by no means perfect but perfection is an illusion cast upon the people by no other than themselves.

Imagine everything worked perfectly. People would still complain.

“Crafting is lameeeeeee i need to hunt mats Q_Q” < Even if crafting provides end game gear just like any other source.

“DUNGEONS ARE HARD T_T” What you want a walk in the park?

“No trinity whaaaaah!!!!” Didn’t they told you the game was based on that from the start?

“I bought keys and no skin Q__Y WAhhhhh!!!!” Is a gamble? They stated that…. is like buying a lottery ticket and then saying: "Stupid government told me I was gonna become a millionaire by buying this…I spend 20 bucks won nothing!

So get real. Enjoy the game and wait for things to be fixed.

A complaint..

Posted by: SycoX.1547

SycoX.1547

I wish I had some 2 cents to put into this topic, but… Everyone else pretty much stated it.

A complaint..

Pony.3256

1) People will quickly make guides, part of the event is discovering and sharing, what you expect ANet to say: Here is the event and the instructions in how to do em? Nop. Any MMO that launches a new event simply say: “LOL NPCS EVERYWHERE GO DO THE SAME OVER AND OVER” Here the events fr such a young game are very good and entertaining enough to make me want to participate in them. Something I never did in any other mmo.

2) Ever read here is patch notes for X day update? What you expected a mod to call you and say: Dude we got a new build going on lol!!!

3)Nerfing @ Classes will never end, why simple. If you make a class too over powered the others will become victims of this, specially in pvp. You may say OH BUT I DON’T CARE ABOUT PVP Y_Y" Well look at WoW, Guild recruiting lalala raid lalala only want shamans and ranged dps. Every other dps and most heals got sent to hell cause shamans and ranged dps could put do everyone else. Bam nerf needed asap.

Money making bla bla bla. It needs to be nerfed, perhaps you simply don’t understand how the world works. If something becomes a good source of money it will need to be nerfed or everyone will do it and thus decrease the value of the currency of the place. Want real life examples? Gold hunting, real estate investments, pyramid organizations. So on it goes.

4) Clearly you have no idea how programming works, specially not in games of this scale. This is not super Mario bros my friend. Making events work flawlessly take a truck load of work, look at any game this big, Skyrim is not even an online game and 60% of it is bugged. Look at any other game, online or off and you will always find bugs, is the devs work to fix them and guess what? Anet does exactly that.

Am I happy? Yes. Hell yes I am, I been gaming since the early 90’s and this game is one of the few that meets my expectations, is by no means perfect but perfection is an illusion cast upon the people by no other than themselves.

Imagine everything worked perfectly. People would still complain.

“Crafting is lameeeeeee i need to hunt mats Q_Q” < Even if crafting provides end game gear just like any other source.

“DUNGEONS ARE HARD T_T” What you want a walk in the park?

“No trinity whaaaaah!!!!” Didn’t they told you the game was based on that from the start?

“I bought keys and no skin Q__Y WAhhhhh!!!!” Is a gamble? They stated that…. is like buying a lottery ticket and then saying: "Stupid government told me I was gonna become a millionaire by buying this…I spend 20 bucks won nothing!

So get real. Enjoy the game and wait for things to be fixed.

You have to be kidding me.
What game have you played where they launched a seasonal event and you had to figure out everything on your own?
Aion, Rift, Tera, etc, all games I play have a guide on where to at least start the event.
I get it, you guys love the game, but don’t be blind to simple errors.
I too love the game, I’m not going anywhere.
I know there are many fixes to come, but honestly, how can you think that everything is just so lovely right now?

2.) Also, joking or not, what you said was just ridiculous.
EVERY MMO has patch notes.
Go look at Rift’s or TERA’s, they have notes on the smallest changes.
Players like to know that.
Anet posts notes for the patch, but then during the day, there can be up to 4+ builds and no one will know what just changed.
Seriously? That’s normal to you?

3.) First of all, I never stated anything about class nerfing.
Look at the economy in game, it’s awful.
Low lvl mats are way overpriced.
I’m not asking to have an endless supply of money, but making any kind of money in this game is irritating to say the least.
I definitely know I’m not the only one with that opinion.

4.) Once again, I like how people come on here and basically call people dumb.
Real nice community here.
I’m no idiot, I have played many many games where there events worked quite well and everyone enjoyed them.

Also, why are you even bringing up arguments that weren’t even brought up in this thread?
Pointless.

A complaint..

Posted by: Ausa.3471

Ausa.3471

Well I don’t really agree, I think, at this stage they need to be able to make changes quickly when they see something that is a potential exploit.

One thing that would be nice would be a developer diary type blog that summarises what is going on, on a weekly or so basis, and I liked those state of the game posts that give an indication of changes and what’s changing.

Nerfs are always a tricky thing, noone really likes them, but they have to be done for the long term good of the game; a bit like bad tasting medicine.

I love everyone’s flagrant use of the word exploit.

A complaint..

Posted by: Branwin.4609

Branwin.4609

For the seasonal events they need a calendar system that at least points you in the right direction to kick off the event. Also, the introductory page for the Halloween event itself was very vague and lacking. I don’t need specific run-downs on every single little thing, I surely do not want a walk-through, but I should not have to go to the forums or a third party website such as Reddit (which is a low brow, disgusting website, in my opinion by the way) to figure things out.

On a side note, for the Halloween event if you DID figure out to talk to the Priory NPC to start the scavenger hunt (luckily I logged in that general area) you get a mail with the scavenger device and a “Show Me” icon. The “Show Me” icon shows you…. where you already are! It was completely useless to have, but it would have been extremely useful if the intro in-game mail was sent PRIOR to talking to the NPC so you knew where to go from there.

There, there’s a critical complaint AND a suggestion/idea on how to fix the problem.

I agree wholeheartedly, I was going to make a post about keeping us in the dark unless we are on Reddit, but decided to look up “Reddit” instead. Reddit is a tacky site to use in my opinion and GW2 has it’s own website. Why not make use of it?

A complaint..

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

The constant nerfing of the already unfun junk garbage loot is really annoying. The entire game constantly hands you nothing but garbage items, and if anyone finds a way to actually get decent rewards for efforts it’s patched out immediately.

I hate being a Garbage Collector, but due to the abysmally bad loot, that’s what my character is.

It honestly seems like they are trying to use the shady tactics of Korean MMOs and the like to force people into using the gem store by slowly and steadily making in game earning methods obsolete, eventually forcing people to buy gems for gold just so they can afford to waypoint around and play the game.

A complaint..

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Reddit is a tacky site to use in my opinion and GW2 has it’s own website. Why not make use of it?

I use both. There is a much larger level of vocal freedom on reddit that one very much does not have here, imo. By that I mean the freedom to say something which, in our opinion, needs to be addressed by AN without fear that your post will go poof and you’ll be given “points” for “not being constructive”. Don’t get me wrong, this is AN’s site therefore they can moderate it as they please legally. I just happen to value a higher level of freedom of speech before the heavy hand of moderation is felt. Not to tolerate flame wars but not quite as…draconian…either. TO that end, I read comments on reddit because there is information etc given there that would never be allowed here. To each their own.

A complaint..

Posted by: Loic.4367

Loic.4367

To those of you saying that class nerfing will always happen, please tell that to the warrior, who except for a few fixes and actual buffs has been completely untouched since launch.

A complaint..

Branwin.4609

Any information from ANet given on Reddit SHOULD be given here, is my point. Reddit is a third party site and not a clean one at that.

A complaint..

Pony.3256

Well I’m glad to see that more people are agreeing with me than giving me poor arguments.
I do love this game and I still find it worth logging into, but it can get annoying very fast.

@ChairGraveyard, I totally agree.
I do like the gem store, but I agree that it seems like they want us to convert the gems into gold for a better.faster way of making profit.
I don’t understand why people are too blind to see that the nerfing in this game is just ridiculous.
I totally understand that people love this game a lot and want to defend it no matter what, but you have to notice the bad in a game to make it better for everyone.

Also, the GW2 Reddit community isn’t bad at all.
They’re very helpful with everything.
I don’t like using the forums because unfortunately, everyone here likes to argue like we’re on a school playground.
One person posts an opinion and they’re treated as if they’re the dumbest person on the forums.
On reddit, I rarely see arguments and when I do, It’s legit arguments with people making valid points.
Not just some “Omg are you stupid? X shouldn’t be done this way.”

A complaint..

Branwin.4609

The GW2 Reddit community might not be bad, but the Reddit community in general, in my opinion, is.

A complaint..

Branwin.4609

Although, I agree, it would be nice if the community ANet is trying so hard to foster would work out on the forums.

A complaint..

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I don’t agree with all of the OP’s points but I do agree that communication has always been ArenaNet’s biggest weaknesses.

With GW1 they relied on fansites and wikis rather than providing critical information in-game.

With GW2, they are relying on Reddit or even worse social media silliness like Twitter or Facebook.

You need to make a Twitter account, make a Facebook account and constantly check Reddit to keep track of one game and that is silly.

The official website should the repository of ALL information for Guild Wars 2. It should be the first, last and only place anyone needs to go. Any information on alternative sites like Reddit or Twitter or Facebook should be easily and readily accessible in one place and logically the central place for information should be the website.

Facebook, Twitter and Reddit users can learn to check the website. Everyone on the entire planet is used to the idea of going to an official website when you need to access information about anything from your phone bill to specific entertainment like the NFL or whatever.

NOT everyone uses social media sites or discussion boards for information on an specific online game and not everyone uses the same social media sites and online boards.

Everyone knows an official website is the source for official information. ArenaNet should treat it like that and realize ALL other outlets are secondary.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

A complaint..

Posted by: Gambit.7836

Gambit.7836

If only the patches were tested…

A complaint..

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Let me start off by saying I do love Guild Wars 2, but at the same time, I am very very disappointed in it.

If you’re here just to attack me with all your “Go play another game” or “Grow up” blah blah blah, move on.

Here are a few major problems for me:

snip

1.) I use a combination of the wiki, the gw2 guru forums, my guildies, and just the general talk in town and have no issues figuring out what I need to do or where I need to be. The big pumpkin on my mini map when I first loaded into Lions Arch on Tuesday was a dead give away of what direction to at least start heading to find info.

2.) Patch notes? Again, wiki and forums (here and guru) usually have them up pretty quickly and covers most things. Obviously I’m not uber worried about it, I just kind of go with the flow. I understand that nerfs, buffs, and general strangeness will happen as the game grows and evolves. They only true constant in anything is ‘change’ so why get all bent out of shape about it?

3.) Nerfing is a part of every game, as someone else has already stated. Yes, you refuted it with the ‘well they do it too much’ argument. How much or how little isn’t our call, obviously they felt it was appropriate for the situation. Does it suck? Sure. Do we have to like it? No. But did WE make the game? Nope, I guess we get what we get. Either accept it or move on. (Not intended to be a brat here, I’m just not PC).

4.) All software has bugs. Period. Yes they suck. Yes we hate them, but no developer, or team of developers can test for every possibly contingency. As a developer I know this personally. Yes, bugs drive me BATTY, but there will always be that someone, or group of someones, that think outside that ‘box’ that is your testing. Honestly, while I’ve seen bugs and glitches in my game play, it wasn’t anything terribly beyond what I expected for a new release of such scale. Not to mention they are still trying to add stuff that they waned to have in the game, but didn’t get to, in addition to trying to meet some of their players’ rather loud demands, AND providing the niceties like holiday stuff.

I think they deserve some applause, some understanding, and a fruit basket (at the very least).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

A complaint..

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

To those that say that testing changes are impossible on a large scale that requires thousands of people… apparently they don’t understand what the OP meant by test servers.

Several MMO’s out there have something called a test server. When they are going to make a change they put the build on the test server so that people can then log on with their character and TEST the change to let the company know if it is working as intended.

The reason for this is for things like DR in general PVE. They didn’t put this into any patch notes ever. They put it in too aggressively and it affected people. They tweaked it and it has still affected me even on my level 40 as I do events. So again if they put it in they could then watch and see the effect. They can parse numbers. They can then see not how they expect people to play, rather they will see how people actually play.

A complaint..

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Dungeon build, is this any good?

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEUQJArYhImgbxx3gjDABFKQw4BHfoRRxM3A

I haven’t really dungeoned yet so I’m preparing for that. I don’t have gear listed though.

A complaint..

Posted by: erock.1702

erock.1702

“4.) Test your stuff before launching it!!!!!!!!
-When the dungeon “fixes” came out, ANet admitted that there were bugs and people were stuck getting very few to no tokens. We had to wait a full week for the new “fix”.
I have seen many people already suggest a test server or something."

Comments like this drive me crazy!!!!

“we had to wait a full week for the new fix” – have you ever had a job before? Do you not realize that large companies with many moving parts have to prioritize and schedule fixes/changes? Just because something has been reported DOES NOT mean it will be fixed immediately! It has to be verified, a fix identified and then scheduled, and then tested before pushing it live. This takes time and not just a week, it can be many weeks depending on how many other tasks are scheduled and who’s available to work on what.

It’s the same for bots. Just because you reported a bot doesn’t mean someone is going to immediately jump on it and ban that person. Again a whole process of verification, identification of a solution and implementation has to be completed before you see any changes.

“I have seen many people already suggest a test server or something” – Are you serious? Really? Every software company that pushes builds uses a test server. It would be almost impossible for them to do their jobs without one. You clearly do not understand the complexity of writing code. No matter how much testing you do there will always be conflicts with existing code – ALWAYS!

I know a fair number of players here are younger and have no concept of how a company (let alone a software company) functions – but please, learn to have some patience. The world does not revolve around you and ANET is doing everything in their power to make this game as perfect as they can get it.

There is no way a company that is trying to build a brand (and profit) is going to ignore the things being brought up – IT JUST TAKES TIME!

Be patient please!

A complaint..

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Tried editing my above post since it’s obviously in the wrong thread -_-

A complaint..

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I agree with #3 actually. I understand the never ending need for balance and adjustments; however the current form of effort goes against what I thought was the core ideal of the game.

If one area is rewarding players “fairly” (in the players eyes) then rather than smashing that down; adjust the other areas to equal rewards. Result: Players spread out and not focus on singular spots. Additionally, players are now not “feeling” restricted to specific areas (Orr for example, at 80) so they can “work” towards their personal goals.

The current problem (for me) is this: I see more profit for myself by selling much of my drops and some of my mats to a merchant (creates more inflation). The items I want/need that are on the TP are out of my reach price wise, so I focus on gaining wealth and or alternate methods of gaining those items. This creates, yet more inflation.
However, if Anet would stop crippling my methods of making “fair” profit, I could afford the items I want/need and my money would move within the system vs creating more.
As it is right now though, I can’t keep up with the rate of inflation, so I simply keep creating more personal wealth (and more inflation) as I try.
If I’m not the only one in this same boat; then I can easily understand why I can’t keep up with inflation – everyone is doing the same thing and can’t afford what is out there outside a possible small percentage of players.

A complaint..

Posted by: SparkStormrider.4512

SparkStormrider.4512

When it comes to nerfing, no one is a fan of it. You get used to a certain way your character plays, and then all of a sudden things change. You have to unlearn your previous way to play and “learn to play” all over again. I understand the frustrations that go with that, I think everyone can say they do too.

Now with that said, it’s my personal opinion that NO nerf on any character should be performed WHILE there are bugs with other skills not being addressed at the same time. Anet has done this with GW2, and that is the only issue I have with them. Please Please Please, if a skill needs nerfing/toning down, please fix the other skills that are bugged/broken at the same time.

Overall I am satisfied with Anet. They have an amazing game on their hands, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

In war the worst thing you could do is die for your country, make the other jerk die for his!