A lot of abilities in guild wars 2 are not very exciting.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

I’d say that ranger suffers from this the most… A lot of abilities just aren’t very exciting, interesting, or unique… Nothing really makes me think “Wow thats a really interesting ability, I can’t believe they thought of that!” It all feels kind of generic and bland…

How do you guys feel about the abilities and combat in guild wars 2?

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I dont expect unique abilities in any game anymore. Every ranger WILL have barrage, every mage/elementalist WILL have fireball. The only skill I found new and fun was the steal ability of the thief.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Go play a melee in any other MMO and tell me GW2 has boring abilities. What I have a problem with is the lack of variety in skills, not being able to change 1-5 other than weapon swapping. I imagine it’s a lot harder to make interesting looking attacks for a ranged profession, but I think barrage and such looks really cool when people use it so…

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: ErkiB.8375

ErkiB.8375

I do agree that when it comes to the rangers utility skills, especially spirits, they should actually givethe boons and conditions that it should without just having to hope for it with only 20 % chance of getting any, which is incredibly poorly done. They should actually come up with a better system for spirits as as of now they are just a burdon without then moving around with you.

Besides that Im happy, I main a Longbow ranger and am very pleased with most of the skills, of course some are poor, especially some utility skills such as search and rescue, which is never needed as in a group battle, other people will revive someone long before your pet does, and even if you are with a small group of people, the mobs may attack your pet and kill it as it does not fight back when reviving.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I recommend playing the game before claiming abilities aren’t exciting. Virtually every ability has at least 2 or 3 different uses depending on situation, while every bar has at least 1 skillshot dependent on high player skill. The 5 weapon skills alone on any bar are more interesting than the complete 80 skills macro bar of an average wow class.

But that’s just my opinion.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

They are fine, but Archers/Rangers will always have the same kitteny stuff…
It’s always a “Piercing shot.” – “Multi-shot.” “Arrow Rain.” type of thing. What else can you do though lol.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: alfista.6094

alfista.6094

The Charrzooka,
Cow finisher,
Flamethrower,
Mesmer clones,
Thief steal,
etc..

As for the ranger.
Ranger + greatsword, all 5 skills.
Ranger + sword, the skill where you stab the mob and evade, and with a 2nd press jump right back into the fight, not to mention the unique kick-in-the-balls with your primary sword attack – priceless.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I really like some of the abilities the guardian has, and the potential emergent play you can create. Pushing mobs around, blocking them, and sending them flying is really fun. Also, there are so many great uses for wall of reflection…

I found the ranger to be much more interesting (I played it a bit during beta) when I started using 2h weapons along with a bow and moving in / out and changing things up during a fight. Seemed like there was a lot more complexity that way.

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

I thought the ability to throw someone else’s debuffs including DoTs right back at them was really cool, that’s why I played a Necro. That hasn’t really been done before and is a new twist on the back and forth resource management dark casters sometimes have.

Also, Guardian wards, so much fun. I don’t usually go for the “Paladin” archetypes, the one in WoW never interested me, nor did Taric. However GW2’s guardian, I enjoy immensely.

Mesmers? Though it may resembles very little of what it was in GW1, it still became imo a true illusionist class.

Engineers are hilarious, you can play bomberman with one, you can be a pyro or medic from TF2, and I love supply crate.

I personally think it’s just Rangers. I mean there’s only so much you can do with bows and projectiles. Whirling Defense however, is very cool. I did like the melee aspect of Rangers a lot, Sword/Dagger made you feel pretty nimble and quick on your feet.

Searingarrow.4637

I have a level 80 elementalist, a level 80 engineer, and a level 44 ranger… None of them really make me want to stay committed to them… They all seem to have things wrong with them that really turn me off.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Go play a melee in any other MMO and tell me GW2 has boring abilities.

OK! My main in LOTRO is a Guardian, and that class has much, much more interesting abilities than any melee class I’ve played in GW2. Largely in the area of reactive abilities that can be used after a block or parry, and chains of abilities that can be used in sequence following these reactive abilities.

It’s the most fun melee class I’ve played in any MMO.

Searingarrow.4637

Its not too hard to think of more out of the box abilities… Riot (They made league of legends) does it a lot.. I know its a different genre but the ideas can be transferred over and it shows that new ideas are possible… Right now Guild Wars 2 doesn’t really bring anything new or interesting ability wise to the MMO genre.