A new player has arrived!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrenchyIsDrunk.4703

FrenchyIsDrunk.4703

Hey Everyone!
I finally have a good pc and hopefully will be able to play GW2 now! (Once the client is done downloading ) But anyway! I was thinking of making a thief as my first character because i find it cool enough and was wondering if anyone had tips or if any new players were about so we could play together!

FrenchyIsDrunk

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Thief has a very tiny healthpool and being able to dodge key attacks is the very bases of the class.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Hey, Thief is a very fun class but can be challenging to learn.

Early on I’d recommend to use the Sword/Pistol weapon combination. One skill on it with stun the foe briefly and make you evade while doing damage. Another is an AoE that blinds foes, you can keep it up permanantley (blinded foes miss their next attack).

This set will give you some good survivability while you get used to the game and the tactical play style that is Thief. It’s my second favorite class hope you enjoy

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Don’t roll thief, roll a guardian!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Welcome to GW2 community

Check the Thief sub-forum for more details about builds and guides.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

FrenchyIsDrunk.4703

Already some answers!? Am loving the forums already haha

I see, I guess i will need to play the actual before anything as I am a bit confused as of what happens when you level etc… I assume it’s a bit similar to Neverwinter but in more depth!

@Vol Never! Thief as my first char and maybe guardian later! :]

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Or go with the golden child of GW2 and roll a Warrior…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You can always go to the PvP area and test a class, there your toon will be lvl 80 with everything unlocked and every weapon available, and you can go there as soon as your tutorial mission ends, it takes like 3 minutes.

Thief is fun to play, perfect example of glass cannon and the gameplay feels very acrobatic, I’m enjoying leveling my thief.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

Welcome, get ready to say goodbye to all your free time. I would argue against a thief as your first character, they can be fairly tricky for survivability. You may have more fun initially getting started with a warrior or guardian (though a guardian has a pretty deep set of skills). Just my $.02

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Or go with the golden child of GW2 and roll a Warrior…

Or you could go with the gold generator and roll a Guard

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

So what if we are useless in instanced PvE? Thieves are cool.

Attachments:

FrenchyIsDrunk.4703

I will probably be only PvE i think, I’ve never been the competitive type! Is PvE fun even at Endgame?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I… Don’t… See a thief.

Am I blind?!

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Try to enjoy combat, because this game get boring fast if you play it like normal mmorpg. So don’t just stand there and auto attack even if mob can’t really kill you. It’s good dodge practice kill mobs without taking any dmg.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

FrenchyIsDrunk.4703

Yeah I understand that! Am reading the wiki for now about what happens when you level and stuff! I’d try to do some PvE with other people, is it popular? or is everyone just Solo’s everything alone? I’ve seen so many games die because of multi-accounts and things like that :/

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

…I was thinking of making a thief as my first character because i find it cool enough and was wondering if anyone had tips …

FrenchyIsDrunk

Learn early how to use your blinding skills. Leveling would have been so much easier for me if I didn’t ignore those until I was 80.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Hey Everyone!
I finally have a good pc and hopefully will be able to play GW2 now! (Once the client is done downloading ) But anyway! I was thinking of making a thief as my first character because i find it cool enough and was wondering if anyone had tips or if any new players were about so we could play together!

FrenchyIsDrunk

Welcome to our community! Hope you enjoy your time in Tyria.

If you have any other questions, the folks in Players Helping Players are super helpful, too!

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

as thief i can suggest u: roll a warrior….is just a “range melee tanky dps assassin mage tank support” class

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

my best advice about this game (and forum)
“Fly, you fools!” xD

welcome

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Get to level 80 and start crafting as soon as possible. The gear grind train has already left the station, it stops for no one, and so you’re going to have to work hard to catch up.

A good way to get crafting materials as you level is to do the Queensdale Champ train. It’s also good for keeping your weapons and armor pretty much up to level.

Thief is a good profession to start as medium armor uses leather, which is — at the moment — relatively inexpensive on the Trading Post (light armor’s crafting materials are currently quite expensive).

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Get to level 80 and start crafting as soon as possible. The gear grind train has already left the station, it stops for no one, and so you’re going to have to work hard to catch up.

A good way to get crafting materials as you level is to do the Queensdale Champ train. It’s also good for keeping your weapons and armor pretty much up to level.

Thief is a good profession to start as medium armor uses leather, which is — at the moment — relatively inexpensive on the Trading Post (light armor’s crafting materials are currently quite expensive).

Well he can also just buy the armor straight off the TP, its sometimes just as cheap, if not cheaper. That is if he doesn’t want to deal with crafting.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

seriously? OP wecome to the game and I hope you have as much fun as I have had since the betas. Take your time and smell the roses and poke your head into any interesting holes, go climb a mountain Try all the classes because they might. not be what you think.. btw posting from phone so sorry for crappy format

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Well he can also just buy the armor straight off the TP, its sometimes just as cheap, if not cheaper. That is if he doesn’t want to deal with crafting.

He’s gonna have to deal with crafting sooner or later, may as well get the materials as he levels — the Champ train is really good for this.

I personally find that playing the open world content doesn’t net enough mats/gold/gear to keep up with your level. I think Champ training is a really good way to (at the very least) supplement your open world exploration time so that you don’t always feel undergeared and poor.

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

I have a Thief as main and also got a guardian and warrior to max level.

I still like the Thief best. Thief is basically the only class that doesn’t have weaponskills on cooldown, instead it uses initiative as mechanic which is awesome. Thief can be quite challenging to play, for levelling I personally used Pistol/Pistol and Shortbow and just run in circles, cause if anything hits you in melee you’re pretty much dead. Now at endgame I use shortbow almost exclusively. It’s really a nice weapon even though it doesn’t have any very long range skills.

Posted by: anonim.5932

anonim.5932

Create it, play it, level it and at level 80, if you are still wanting to play the class, then You can look up on tips, tactics, builds and armor. Till then, just enjoy the game =)
There is no need for best armor or build in the leveling phase, just experience the class and it’s mechanics and learn how to play it while you play it.

Some might say, that there are some leveling phases that are a bit… frustrating is a too strong word, just lacking the right one… but nevertheless, if you like the mechanics, just keep it going and you’ll be happy with it ^^

I’m playing a thief and while there aren’t 1000 builds to play, there are several good build to play at level 80 content in PvE. I never had a problem finding a dungeon group, so don’t worry, thief is still playable and nice for the endgame content.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Thief is a “hard” class. To achieve something that other class relatively easily achieve you will need to put in several magnitudes more effort, which goes for all game modes (aside from roaming in WvW, which thief is “probably best at”).
The only relatively good thing you will be able to do in WvW if you ever plan on doing WvW will be roaming (only reward being “fun”, no actual real tangible rewards or even if there are they’re so small compared to what you could be getting in a zerg).
Expect to be nerfed every patch. If there’s a buff it’s usually accompanied by a way larger nerf.
Check out the thief forums to get a glimpse of the community/things going on… or don’t you will probably be able to enjoy the class with knowing the issues and so forth.

If you want an easier time, roll a guardian or warrior… both are viable and are good at everything (where as thief, really, WvW roaming… that’s about it).

In all honesty, thief being my first class (and main), going through the game was fun, even a bit after being lvl 80 and having completed the personal story (once). But then it become more of a drag when I started to realize issues with it…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

Even if you switch to a different class after you reach 80, thief is STILL a very good alt, because of all the stealth/dodging/swiftiness stuff allows you to harvest rare material nodes very very easily and quickly. And you’ll need lots of that stuff later on so having multiple 80’s is nice.

Cleaning out a whole zone of crafting resources is what thief is better at than any other class.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

I… Don’t… See a thief.

Am I blind?!

I don’t think so because i can’t see a thief too and my eyes are good!
Maybe its a little asura thief that stands behind this abomination of a sylvari but well thats gotta be a real tiny asura though.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I… Don’t… See a thief.

Am I blind?!

I don’t think so because i can’t see a thief too and my eyes are good!
Maybe its a little asura thief that stands behind this abomination of a sylvari but well thats gotta be a real tiny asura though.

I’m stealing his glory and inserting myself as the main protagonist of his personal screenshot.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Hey Everyone!

FrenchyIsDrunk

Thief is cool profession but if don’t like it u have 4 other character slots u can try other professions that fits your need. By the way welcome.

vvuevv

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

If you’re already pretty experienced in MMOs, I’d say Thief is a good class to start. Thieves are much more reliant on Dodging for defense than anyone else, but getting good with Dodging will put you way ahead of the game on all other classes too.

Any particular sort of community you’re looking for? Particularly RP or PVP?

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

The gear grind only starts once you start trying to get the top tier of armor and weapons. As long as you don’t worry about ascended gear or legendary weapons, you’ll be just fine. You can get by just fine with fine (blue) and masterwork (green) equipment until level 80. Even at level 80 you’ll be just fine with masterwork gear (but rare is better and exotic is even better).

While the champion train is a good way to get loot, it is EXTREMELY repetitive (it consists of a cycle of about 5 champions that repeats every 5 minutes) and is such a small sampling of what the game has to offer. My suggestion would be to explore everything and as Morrigan so eloquently put it “take your time and smell the roses and poke your head into any interesting holes.” This game has so much more to offer than just grinding and you can get equipment and experience just fine by playing the game normally. You’ll be more likely to get level appropriate equipment if you explore level appropriate areas, but you can still get good equipment from lower level areas too (just not as fast).

As far as buying equipment goes, you shouldn’t need to worry about it if you just keep an eye out for level appropriate equipment while playing and if you do buy equipment, one armor class is not really much more or less expensive than any other armor class (and should not really be a reason to choose one class over another).

Welcome to Guild Wars 2! I hope you enjoy the game as much as I have for the past year and a half.

(edited by Bron.9647)