A newbie looking for some feedback...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It is worth sticking with.
Most of the negativity is overreacting and most of it comes from the same group of people.
Also keep in mind that happy customers tend to play the game and such instead of shouting about things on the forums.

You know Every game that has failed people have said this. Do you know that you are doing Anet no favors by you falling into typical human reaction of thinking you are in the majority. Same thing happened to GoP during last election and is still happening. People think their views are only right ones and thus everyone must have them. So from now on state your opinion and leave it at that. Don’t make up fantasy situations that you can have no idea if true or not.

Of course every game that has failed has had people say this. Because, well, everything ends eventually. So, since everything ends eventually all you have to do to ensure “every game that has failed has had people say that” is pop on all the forums which exist and say this. Eventually the game will fail and you’ll be completely correct.

About the only game which hasn’t failed, yet, is Nethack.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Most of the negativity is overreacting and most of it comes from the same group of people.
Also keep in mind that happy customers tend to play the game and such instead of shouting about things on the forums.

You know Every game that has failed people have said this. Do you know that you are doing Anet no favors by you falling into typical human reaction of thinking you are in the majority. Same thing happened to GoP during last election and is still happening. People think their views are only right ones and thus everyone must have them. So from now on state your opinion and leave it at that. Don’t make up fantasy situations that you can have no idea if true or not.

Of course every game that has failed has had people say this. Because, well, everything ends eventually. So, since everything ends eventually all you have to do to ensure “every game that has failed has had people say that” is pop on all the forums which exist and say this. Eventually the game will fail and you’ll be completely correct.

I’d hardly call GW1 a failure. Sure it declined because of its age, but it didn’t fail, It had longevity. Failing and ending are two different things. I do think GW2 is failing ATM. It’s certainly not meeting its potential. Perhaps they can salvage it.

I guess the only real measure of success or failure would be the cash shop. Only they know how that is doing. Happy players spend money. I never spent a dime there. However, I would have gladly supported them if I was happy (and they offered something i wanted.)

Maybe this is a tangent, but they just offered junk imo. Perhaps someguild housing that offered free waypoint travel. Perhaps a golem banker that was permanent. I’d even buy account bound exotics/ legendaries. Sadly, none of that was offered and I was dissatisfied with the game anyway.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d hardly call GW1 a failure. Sure it declined because of its age, but it didn’t fail, It had longevity. Failing and ending are two different things. I do think GW2 is failing ATM. It’s certainly not meeting its potential. Perhaps they can salvage it.

I guess the only real measure of success or failure would be the cash shop. Only they know how that is doing. Happy players spend money. I never spent a dime there. However, I would have gladly supported them if I was happy (and they offered something i wanted.)

Maybe this is a tangent, but they just offered junk imo. Perhaps someguild housing that offered free waypoint travel. Perhaps a golem banker that was permanent. I’d even buy account bound exotics/ legendaries. Sadly, none of that was offered and I was dissatisfied with the game anyway.

They sure as heck weren’t going to offer free waypoint use or Exotics for cash :P I think you expected way too much out of the cash shop.

And Guild Wars 1 is still going. For now. But it will get shut down eventually, that’s a solid prediction. Eventually. Not tomorrow, not next month but one day in the distant future it will end.

(And watch, Nethack will still be here. There’s no justice.)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Plus, with no sub…you can come and go from your other games to this one. That was my plan anyway.

Even though I’ve not stepped foot in any other game since rollout

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

@ Tobias

EQ1/EQ2 both have been going for over a decade. Why would ANet do any less with GW1/GW2?

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving,
I’m new to the guild wars world and I’ve enjoyed playing with my Asura engineer over the last couple of days. However I am seeing quite a bit of negative feedback towards the game on the forum.

In all honesty, is this a game worth sticking with or is it one already in a state of decline?

Hi. I have a human Guardian with over 400 hours in this game… If I were starting today I honestly don’t know what my take would be. I can tell you I get very frustrated in the lower level zones on my alts. The number of players you see in those zones today is much, much less than what we had during the games first month.

There’s no question the game is in decline, but it started with over two-million accounts. I’m wondering what have the numbers really declined to? For comparison, SWTOR and AION (arguably the two most successful MMORPG games in the US behind WoW) average about 240,000-300,000 total players. If GW2 can maintain at least that player base then it will be successful, but it certainly is still in it’s post launch decline so now isn’t the best time to judge it. Unfortunately it’s also not the best of times to start playing. The inevitable server-consolidation has yet to happen, so there are still a lot of empty zones on some servers. Depending on the time of day you play you can run through a zone with only a handful of players on any server. You just have to use map chat to call for help when needed. I see the game as in a transitional state right now.

Most of the negativity you’ll find is around the recent changes to “end-game” (post max level content). Some love it, most it seems do not. Some of us are just angry ArenaNet went against it’s manifesto. As a company they released some very bold videos prior to the game launching that outlines their vision for what an MMORPG should be. The recent changes go against their philosophy so many of us are questioning their integrity and trying to decide if it’s worth continuing or not.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

@ Tobias

EQ1/EQ2 both have been going for over a decade. Why would ANet do any less with GW1/GW2?

Several reasons. The primary one being that the business ceases to exist, so nobody is there to run the servers.

Look, I’m not saying they deserve to die, and I’m not saying it will be a malicious or intentional “ha ha, pull the plug” kind of thing. The only constant which can be relied on other than the fact that every object has to have a beginning is that it also has to have an end. That includes, unfortunate as it is, computer programs.

Except, like I said . . . Nethack.

(It’ll survive nuclear fire, I swear.)

SHM.7628

They sure as heck weren’t going to offer free waypoint use or Exotics for cash :P I think you expected way too much out of the cash shop.

And Guild Wars 1 is still going. For now. But it will get shut down eventually, that’s a solid prediction. Eventually. Not tomorrow, not next month but one day in the distant future it will end.

The probably won’t do exotics for cash. Though, who knows the way things are going as of late? The waypoints would come with guild hosuing if they made it, because how else would you get in and out of your guild without travel? Nonetheless, I was just giving some examples of what I’d pay for.

As crazy as these things sound to sell, They will likely have to shore up the cash shop because they won’t have expansions like GW1. They are going to have to cross this bridge at some point. Probably sooner rather than later if the player drop off continues.

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Nexon has a major stake in this game….and everything, and i mean everything nexon touches turns to garbage, they are a terrible, greedy cash shop loving company…..you can only speculate how much influence they actually have, but if nexon is involved you can bet this game has no future.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The probably won’t do exotics for cash. Though, who knows the way things are going as of late? The waypoints would come with guild hosuing if they made it, because how else would you get in and out of your guild without travel? Nonetheless, I was just giving some examples of what I’d pay for.

As crazy as these things sound to sell, They will likely have to shore up the cash shop because they won’t have expansions like GW1. They are going to have to cross this bridge at some point. Probably sooner rather than later if the player drop off continues.

Well if they want to shore up the cash store, the Consortium Chest was one method I’d not be totally incensed by. And it’s something I could see them doing – “hey, here’s a chest with some stuff from the new content in it to play around with. One common material, one rarer material, and a random skin or min!”

Or they could offer town clothing. They haven’t offered a whole lot of that but if there were costumes to fit in with some of the NPC factions or city styles? That’s be cool.

I’m probably going to post that on the suggestion thread now, this idea deserves to be seen by those looking for it

SHM.7628

I’m new to the guild wars world and I’ve enjoyed playing with my Asura engineer over the last couple of days. However I am seeing quite a bit of negative feedback towards the game on the forum.

In all honesty, is this a game worth sticking with or is it one already in a state of decline?

(snip)

There are serious concerns but I’m sure Anet will address them in time. They are most likely gathering their statements and bug teams together after the holidays to get the work completely that will return the current state of the game to it’s former glory (which was only 1 month ago btw).

The game started unravelling at 3 weeks in with the addition of DR. There’s been some major issues since then like the rare drop rates, MF, and the halloween fiasco. (I won’t bother brining up bugs. We know they are there and they are working on them.)

I am not as opimistic as you are about them fixing things. This new gear tier seems to be evidence that they are going in a new (undesirable) direction. I thought the jugs of liquid karma were as sign that they got it about gear grind, but I guess they didn’t.

The new gear treadmill is forcing people into dungeons, making the maps even emptier than ever. This makes the PVE pretty useless to play at the higher levels. DE’s don’t work. Many left the game already. I think they need to act swiftly if they are going to stem the bleeding. It may well already be too late.

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Well, I hope you’ll give it a fair shake. No, it’s not a perfect game, and I do agree with some of the concerns expressed by others on the forum. That said, I’m having a great time with it. And on my server anyway (Tarnished Coast) I really don’t feel like the map chat reflects the general consensus on the forum. Seems to me like there are still plenty of people in game having a good time. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)