A peak into hackers heads

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

6 characters is not a long password. A long password IS more secure than a “complex”, shorter one, because the complexity augments exponentially with each place. And long but simple passwords, when well designed, are easier to store correctly: on your head, not in places where other people could access them.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Sibling passwords? What’s that? Nothing relevant pulled up on google.

Huey
Lewey
Dewey

Posted by: Vampire.8654

Vampire.8654

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, it’s spelt peek, not peak.

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

The root of this particular problem can be found in the existence of an in game economy.

Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort Anet must put into maintaining the BLTC and the in game economy is worth it. Just suppose for a moment, all items were acct bound on acquire. (Yes yes I know what about trading and crafting). Then imagine, gold and gems were as well. It would actually have an interesting effect on in game play. Why? More need to group to get high end missions, raids etc done, to obtain desired items. The stranglehold on the economy by some (buying and destroying or holding desired items to drive the price up, etc..) would be gone. We already live with some crafted items being bound. I know, at this point it would cause more chaos then it is worth, but isn’t defending Tyria our purpose, not day trading in game O.o?

Okay crafting and selling. If all we could do is post these items on the BLTC and not sell to each other via email, a portion of what happened to the OP might not have happened. If we could not send gold to each other, gold sellers have less to offer. Plus tracking those buying gold would be easier. All it would take is a few additions to the database on each of us. total Gold Earned (missions, bltc sales), total Gold possessed. If GE < GP, DING DING DING we have a player buying gold.

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

The root of this particular problem can be found in the existence of an in game economy.

Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort Anet must put into maintaining the BLTC and the in game economy is worth it. Just suppose for a moment, all items were acct bound on acquire. (Yes yes I know what about trading and crafting). Then imagine, gold and gems were as well. It would actually have an interesting effect on in game play. Why? More need to group to get high end missions, raids etc done, to obtain desired items. The stranglehold on the economy by some (buying and destroying or holding desired items to drive the price up, etc..) would be gone. We already live with some crafted items being bound. I know, at this point it would cause more chaos then it is worth, but isn’t defending Tyria our purpose, not day trading in game?

O.o?

A common draw in MMO’s for many people IS the ‘day trading’ side of things though. For that to work, a player driven economy is required.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Are you saying it saves our CC (or whatever) information, even if we don’t check ‘Save Billing Information’?

I cannot answer for others, but I know my computer sometimes “helpfully” saves information that I don’t intend to save. So I may leave unchecked a merchant’s “Save my info” box, but my actual computer thinks it knows best, and I find when I start to input the CC number, it auto-fills.

I am happy to check into this concern about saved info, but I’d like to do so after I know this isn’t a system rather than store issue.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Sometimes I wonder if all the time and effort Anet must put into maintaining the BLTC and the in game economy is worth it. Just suppose for a moment, all items were acct bound on acquire. (Yes yes I know what about trading and crafting). Then imagine, gold and gems were as well. It would actually have an interesting effect on in game play. Why? More need to group to get high end missions, raids etc done, to obtain desired items. The stranglehold on the economy by some (buying and destroying or holding desired items to drive the price up, etc..) would be gone. We already live with some crafted items being bound. I know, at this point it would cause more chaos then it is worth, but isn’t defending Tyria our purpose, not day trading in game?

O.o?

A common draw in MMO’s for many people IS the ‘day trading’ side of things though. For that to work, a player driven economy is required.

And gold sellers/farmers feed and thrive on that aspect. Remove it, they will vanish overnight. It’s known that in China gold farming is a regular job for some. They are living of it’s income. So no easy fix is forthcoming. As to those liking the day trading aspect, why not do it for real and make real money? Or are they doing both now (day trading in game and profiting from it in real time) LOL

Are you saying it saves our CC (or whatever) information, even if we don’t check ‘Save Billing Information’?

I cannot answer for others, but I know my computer sometimes “helpfully” saves information that I don’t intend to save. So I may leave unchecked a merchant’s “Save my info” box, but my actual computer thinks it knows best, and I find when I start to input the CC number, it auto-fills.

I am happy to check into this concern about saved info, but I’d like to do so after I know this isn’t a system rather than store issue.

Computers being to helpful, that’s crazy talk lol

Moonyeti.3296

O.o?

And gold sellers/farmers feed and thrive on that aspect. Remove it, they will vanish overnight. It’s known that in China gold farming is a regular job for some. They are living of it’s income. So no easy fix is forthcoming. As to those liking the day trading aspect, why not do it for real and make real money? Or are they doing both now (day trading in game and profiting from it in real time) LOL

Why? I don’t know. I played WoW for years with my wife and she made tons of money playing the Auction House (WoW version of the TP). It was never appealing to me, but who cares? It is obviously a thing a lot of people like to do. All I am getting from your post is that it isn’t appealing to you so you don’t even want to entertain the idea that it is otherwise a staple of MMO’s.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

One of the most insecure places on your computer is your browser, regardless which one you use. How many of you come to this very forum and when you go to login, your information is auto-filled in for you? If your browser saves a login and password, it is available to anyone on the internet who knows how to retrieve it. All you need to do is visit the wrong website. If your using FireFox, try this. Go to options, security, saved logins and see what this one browser hase helpfully saved for you. It will show the website address, login AND password. If it’s visible there, it’s available to a hacker who can get you to visit his site. This is available on almost all browsers, you just have different ways to access it. Below are 2 websites that can be useful The first will check a password you may think is secure and tell you the average time it would take to hack. The second will tell you if your email address has already been compromised. If you find your email address is on any list of compromised sites, change your password ASAP and go to that site and update your information.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Evon Skyfyre.9673

O.o?

Why? I don’t know. I played WoW for years with my wife and she made tons of money playing the Auction House (WoW version of the TP). It was never appealing to me, but who cares? It is obviously a thing a lot of people like to do. All I am getting from your post is that it isn’t appealing to you so you don’t even want to entertain the idea that it is otherwise a staple of MMO’s.

Mmo’s are built utilizing many forms of information, to devise a plan of action. They know our triggers and hot points. Some employ behaviorists, to delve into the psyche of gamers. Making money, real or imagined is a trigger for many. For me, giving it to those needing help in game is mine. I wish I could do more in real life, but for now, virtually helping is still helping. Greed is it’s own reward. And it’s own curse. Some “play” the in game market to see how they will do, or see it as easy and a way to pass the time, others will do as I do, and help others. I’m not so short sighted to say I know why any one person does what they do, or for what reason. We all follow our own drummers. But to speak to your insinuation I don’t care what others want, shows how very little you know about me or anyone like me. If anything we care too much, about perfect strangers. So some would lose a virtual time waster, others would gain peace of mind, knowing an unstable existence out of game, need not intrude in game. As for commerce being a staple, of course it is, it’s user generated content, just like PVP. But ask yourself this, if it didn’t exist, how much more time could be put to expansions, bug fixes, enhancements, and more.

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Moonyeti.3296

O.o?

Mmo’s are built utilizing many forms of information, to devise a plan of action. They know our triggers and hot points. Some employ behaviorists, to delve into the psyche of gamers. Making money, real or imagined is a trigger for many. For me, giving it to those needing help in game is mine. I wish I could do more in real life, but for now, virtually helping is still helping. Greed is it’s own reward. And it’s own curse. Some “play” the in game market to see how they will do, or see it as easy and a way to pass the time, others will do as I do, and help others. I’m not so short sighted to say I know why any one person does what they do, or for what reason. We all follow our own drummers. But to speak to your insinuation I don’t care what others want, shows how very little you know about me or anyone like me. If anything we care too much, about perfect strangers. So some would lose a virtual time waster, others would gain peace of mind, knowing an unstable existence out of game, need not intrude in game. As for commerce being a staple, of course it is, it’s user generated content, just like PVP. But ask yourself this, if it didn’t exist, how much more time could be put to expansions, bug fixes, enhancements, and more.

Oh no doubt tons more content could be made if they cut any section of the game. We could cut fractals out, that would free up a lot of dev resources for everything else. But I am thinking that would make a lot of people unhappy that a part of the game they like got cut out to make another section of the game populace happy. They could stop making any new maps and only add to the existing ones, that would probably free up dev resources as well. We could cut WvW, Raids, etc. There are a lot of ways to free up dev resources, but that doesn’t mean they are all equally valid for the future of the game.

Evon Skyfyre.9673

O.o?

Oh no doubt tons more content could be made if they cut any section of the game. We could cut fractals out, that would free up a lot of dev resources for everything else. But I am thinking that would make a lot of people unhappy that a part of the game they like got cut out to make another section of the game populace happy. They could stop making any new maps and only add to the existing ones, that would probably free up dev resources as well. We could cut WvW, Raids, etc. There are a lot of ways to free up dev resources, but that doesn’t mean they are all equally valid for the future of the game.

I just think if Anet can balance economies, forget gaming the country could use the help with theirs. LOL

Humor aside, there is soooo much worthless junk on the BLTC, millions upon millions (without exaggerating) of white items, blues and green items, that should be out in the wilds, convincing players to do the missions, group with others to do so, but all they have to do is walk in LA and grab what they need and stand around talking. But this is a conversation best held elsewhere. OP sorry to go off on a tangent.

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

I think another major issue is that there’s no easy way to clear our payment information from the GW2 client. As near as I can tell you can either enter fake information and save it over your real info or ticket CS to get it removed. I get that there is a trade off between convenience and security, and easily saving info but making it difficult to remove keeps that information there to grease impulse buys. But this is a game, and there’s a RMT business out there that hacks accounts. There really needs to be a delete payment information button.

There is one, right under the ‘save card’ checkbox. Maybe it’s a new feature and the button wasn’t there when you looked, idk. It removed everything except my email.

Evon Skyfyre.9673

It’s interesting. When we all first got online, we were constantly warned to NOT share personal information online, no pictures, etc. Now, we might as well drop our house keys in a public restroom with our address attached. Social media is a marketplace for our info. Sad really.