A quadrillion more armor skin combinations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drawing Guy.3701

Drawing Guy.3701

Currently the game divides armor skins into “Light”, “Medium”, and “Heavy”. Due to years of skins being added, we now have a few hundred billion combinations (counting reskins). No small number or feat, I would like to see those restrictions removed. Without any new content added, you suddenly have a massive number of possible combinations added… we’re talking adding nearly one quadrillion** (that’s 1,000,000,000,000,000) combinations on top of what is currently available. I, for one, have countless ideas on how I would design my character armor setups if this were to be opened up.

Other pros:
+ Cultural armor would be more reachable. Instead of requiring 3 characters in every race to take advantage of these skins, one character could be fully cultural.

+ New armor skins can be added to the store without triple the work. While I would still like to see light/medium/heavy logic applied and according skins added, I prefer armors over outfits as I can mix and match the other armors creating many more possibilities.

Concerns:
- Possible clipping or harsh cuts (where the armor was designed to be overlapped by something else). Though I consider this a non-issue; such issues already exist within the existing archetypes, and players can always avoid combinations that they see as clashing.

- Shared skins that have separate achievements across the armor types. I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but it is something that would need to be watched for as such duplicate skins would no longer be needed.

I do not want this to turn into an armor practicality debate. Outfits already break any armor type logic, and as this game centers so strongly around skins and the way your character looks, such a change would be only good.

• Disclaimer – This is 3am math with no sleep — I cannot guarantee it’s accuracy. Though for those that care about my quick calculations:

<< Light >>
127 head
77 shoulder
65 chest
73 gloves
65 leggings
67 boots
————
202 billion combinations

<< Medium >>
122 head
76 shoulder
64 chest
72 gloves
64 leggings
66 boots
————
180.5 billion combinations

<< Heavy >>
117 head
77 shoulder
64 chest
72 gloves
64 leggings
66 boots
————
175.3 billion combinations

202 + 180.5 + 175.3 = 557.8 billion total combinations

<< All Skins >>
366 head
230 shoulder
193 chest
217 gloves
193 leggings
199 boots
————
1.4 quadrillion combinations

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i agree, but their concern is that if they remove the limitations, they can’t restrict the looks anymore to “force” you to buy shinier outfits/skins from the TP with gems.

currently the way they do so is by for example limiting all the medium armor skin to trenchcoats before throwing 1 gem tp skin that is a nice tight shirt or a short skirt.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

They’ve already nixed the idea due to how they designed the armors in each armor class to function differently (most notably, how the long/skirty bits function on light/heavy armors vs. medium). I suppose they could do what they do with the preview function, where you’re locked into all of one weight, but that wouldn’t be the same as what most people want, which is to mix armor across weights.

Drawing Guy.3701

i agree, but their concern is that if they remove the limitations, they can’t restrict the looks anymore to “force” you to buy shinier outfits/skins from the TP with gems.

currently the way they do so is by for example limiting all the medium armor skin to trenchcoats before throwing 1 gem tp skin that is a nice tight shirt or a short skirt.

I disagree – I think it would increase sales of gems both for TP conversions and direct purchases. You’ll have completionists that want every skin for their main, and you just tripled what they would need. You have people that like a skin, but they can’t wear it on their character due to the current skin type lock – now they can. You’re basically tripling demand.

They’ve already nixed the idea due to how they designed the armors in each armor class to function differently (most notably, how the long/skirty bits function on light/heavy armors vs. medium). I suppose they could do what they do with the preview function, where you’re locked into all of one weight, but that wouldn’t be the same as what most people want, which is to mix armor across weights.

Are you saying the physics of cloth is tied to the armor type and not the skin itself? While I question that due to outfits interacting the same no matter the armor type (it could be that they’re a separate function, but wouldn’t that mean they can break that out for general armor skins?), you’re right in the fact that I don’t know how much coding is involved in the separation of armor skins and their ties into armor types. It could be that this request is impossible…. but I still would like Anet to look into this as it would so massively increase our options. Of course this has to somehow be a popular enough thread on an extremely active subforum that mods/devs take a look at it before it’s shoved into oblivion…

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

While I do agree, it would open up a ton of fun options… It is extremely unlikely this will happen in the near or distant future.

There is a thread requesting this type of thing enough to warrant it’s own sub forum ^^ but unfortunately the answer is still probably going to remain the same.

“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together.” – Curtis Johnson

Then lets take cost for players to get into consideration, if any class an wear any “skin” why does my mesmer have to make light armor when plate or leather is so much cheaper for ascended?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Are you saying the physics of cloth is tied to the armor type and not the skin itself? While I question that due to outfits interacting the same no matter the armor type (it could be that they’re a separate function, but wouldn’t that mean they can break that out for general armor skins?), you’re right in the fact that I don’t know how much coding is involved in the separation of armor skins and their ties into armor types. It could be that this request is impossible…. but I still would like Anet to look into this as it would so massively increase our options. Of course this has to somehow be a popular enough thread on an extremely active subforum that mods/devs take a look at it before it’s shoved into oblivion…

He is, and thats exactly what anet has said.

And it doesnt surprise me at all. Nobody wants to see heavy plate mail acting like a flowing wedding dress, as funny as that would be…

I for one like the fact that armor types are limited by weight. the amount of work it would take is also probably a limiting factor, but i dont think its needed.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Reckoner.2536

Reckoner.2536

This is a silly idea… Having heavy armor wearers in light armor outfits and vice versa, is already silly enough..

Posted by: Atmos.8105

Atmos.8105

What about the different races /w diff looks of same armour types

More options still

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Agreed

My main is a Sylvari and I find Sylvari just look strange in any armor that isn’t’ plant based. We only have three cultural armor sets and the twilight armor deal. With this change we would multiply the base plant based armor sets by 3 each and thus open up so many more combinations.

More importantly….

LIGHT ARMOR WOULD FINALLY GET PANTS!!!!!!
MEDIUM ARMOR WILL FINALLY GET A STANDARD SHIRT!!!!
NO MORE DRESSES AND TRENCHCOATS SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS!!!!!!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As others have said, in this thread and in most all the other “please let us wear any weight mixed with any weight” threads over the years, it is impossible for technical reasons. Used to be you could preview the mixed armor, just not equip it, and the texture and color bleeds, the weird bits sticking out in odd directions … you wouldn’t want to wear it, I promise. It would be a royal mess.

So they’d have to recreate each and every piece of armor on a new skeleton rig, at the cost of giving us anything new for a very long time.

Drawing Guy.3701

While I do agree, it would open up a ton of fun options… It is extremely unlikely this will happen in the near or distant future.

There is a thread requesting this type of thing enough to warrant it’s own sub forum ^^ but unfortunately the answer is still probably going to remain the same.

“When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together.” – Curtis Johnson

Then lets take cost for players to get into consideration, if any class an wear any “skin” why does my mesmer have to make light armor when plate or leather is so much cheaper for ascended?

Dye channels being different so colors will be slightly different, armor clipping, etc exists in the currently limited types. Making everything work together is not the request here – it’s letting us choose what skins to use, and personally pick what works (or doesn’t).

This is NOT making armor types equippable by any class, just skins. You still have to craft/buy/find the appropriate armor for your class, but you would be able to pick any skin for it.

He is, and thats exactly what anet has said.

And it doesnt surprise me at all. Nobody wants to see heavy plate mail acting like a flowing wedding dress, as funny as that would be…

I for one like the fact that armor types are limited by weight. the amount of work it would take is also probably a limiting factor, but i dont think its needed.

Why would that happen? Medium armor sets have coats that behave just like the cloth of light and heavy. Light has rigid leather and metal parts that do not “flow”. Heavy has leather skirts like medium. I see no technical components that are unique to a specific armor type. And while I do not doubt similar threads as this have been started, they did not come up in my forum searches.

As for it not being needed, that is obviously opinion. You can always personally pick armor skins that you see as fitting your class the best – why limit other people from choosing what they want? Technical limitations of it being a massive undertaking should be the only reason this were to be turned down.

As others have said, in this thread and in most all the other “please let us wear any weight mixed with any weight” threads over the years, it is impossible for technical reasons. Used to be you could preview the mixed armor, just not equip it, and the texture and color bleeds, the weird bits sticking out in odd directions … you wouldn’t want to wear it, I promise. It would be a royal mess.

So they’d have to recreate each and every piece of armor on a new skeleton rig, at the cost of giving us anything new for a very long time.

Of course there are going to be combinations that don’t work – and there will be many more that do work. There are combinations that do not intersect, as well as combinations where the overlap is thick enough to cover any clipping. Besides if clipping bothers you, you’ve never played Char or wielded weapons. Even if half the combinations were too big of a mess to be usable, that’s still 700 trillion combinations… which is 699.5 trillion more than we have now. No need to recreate anything. And if it did take a bit of work, being able to cut out the design and rigging work is more than half the battle. The multiplication of the result would be worth the effort.

What about the different races /w diff looks of same armour types

More options still

That, unfortunately, would be guaranteed to be impossible. Races have different rigs, and the armor would not be able to be mixed and matched. That would require brand new armor from scratch to carry the styles over.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Dye channels being different so colors will be slightly different, armor clipping, etc exists in the currently limited types. Making everything work together is not the request here – it’s letting us choose what skins to use, and personally pick what works (or doesn’t).

If you are asking to be able to mix and match light with heavy and medium etc… That IS making everything work together. A-net probably doesn’t want GW2 to be a gigantic mess of miss matched and clipped parts. Yes there is currently some clipping issues, but they are not as large as this would make. I figured posting the quote would help clarify the reasoning behind this not being available.

It would be a nightmare and probably not worth the time invested to make this many changes.

I’m aware you didn’t mean to make all types useable by all classes. I’m asking why they shouldn’t be if you allow people to skin and wear any type of armor.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I certainly think they could do it with some of the stuff.

For example, a pair of cloth boots look pretty much indiscernible from a pair of leather ones, material-wise, ingame.

If you think of a game like WoW, there are certain skins that span armour weight classes and they look fine.

Also, I don’t see why you couldn’t mix the Profane light armour top with the Sneakthief medium armour legs (or vice versa)?

They might not look that great together, but they wouldn’t clip.

Whereas, the Phoenix Vest and the Profane Pants do clip, despite both being light armour, gemstore purchases…

They should get someone onto it, quite frankly – someone who loves playing dress-up and has a critical eye.

They could soon work out what did and didn’t work.

Whether they ever do this, or not, though, I think we just need more very plain stuff added (i.e. very plain, simple tops and pants), to mix and match with all our more ornate stuff.

If they made them new, they could make sure they worked for each armour class and didn’t clip with anything.

…and just by virtue of them being very plain and simple, with no bulk, or sticky-out bits, or skirts, that would presumably be pretty easy to do.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of Anet’s rigging and texturing setup, but I can easily imagine that light/medium/heavy models are incompatible in ways that go beyond simple clipping.

If they say it’s a serious no-go, I believe them. I’ve done enough amateur-level character modeling/rigging to just take them at their word there.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: WWWWWWWW.6742

WWWWWWWW.6742

I am all for this! If you have clipping issues that’s your own problem I say!

(edited by WWWWWWWW.6742)

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

A dev has explained this a long time ago.

Armor weight is not just a name “heavy”, “medium”, “light”. Their differences lie in the animation skeleton. For example, medium armors’s skeleton all have a coat tail part even if you don’t see it. The technology behind is not that simple to just mix them together.

This is hard to explain. But that’s the gist of it.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]