A question to the devs regarding aoe circles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: I Iron Monk I.2103

I Iron Monk I.2103

a couple of my friends on guild wars 2 are color blind and cannot see the color red or green i was wondering if you guys have ever thought about adding in an option to change the color of aoe circles from red to blue or a different color so they can actually see aoe circles and dodge them thank you

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

A lot of other games do things like that, that would be a handy feature.

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

a couple of my friends on guild wars 2 are color blind and cannot see the color red or green i was wondering if you guys have ever thought about adding in an option to change the color of aoe circles from red to blue or a different color so they can actually see aoe circles and dodge them thank you

isn’t color blindness not being able to distinguish color? that means there is still a color forming a red ring; it just isn’t red for them

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

I Iron Monk I.2103

for one of my friends that are color blind for red and green it all blends into brown so brown green and red all look the same and they cannot see aoe circles but they can see blue perfectly fine so i dunno just thought it would be a really good idea to add that option in the game and i know alot of others have it in them

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

for one of my friends that are color blind for red and green it all blends into brown so brown green and red all look the same and they cannot see aoe circles but they can see blue perfectly fine so i dunno just thought it would be a really good idea to add that option in the game and i know alot of others have it in them

It would be easier for them to set up color correction on their monitors using video card driver settings so that all applications are affected. For example, on NVIDIA cards, you can max out “digital vibrance” for a sort of high contrast mode, combined with adjustments to the individual RGB color channels.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

I Iron Monk I.2103

dunno if everyone who is effected by it would know how to do that it would be alot easier to just add some options in the graphics menu of gw to quick change it

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Except for those affected with the blue-range color-blindness, such as my Guildie.

I thought ArenaNet already changed the texture of AoE rings once, to help out with this issue. I could be mistaken, of course. =)

Posted by: Galowin.6089

Galowin.6089

It would be easier for them to set up color correction on their monitors using video card driver settings so that all applications are affected. For example, on NVIDIA cards, you can max out “digital vibrance” for a sort of high contrast mode, combined with adjustments to the individual RGB color channels.

don’t think brighter brown (for us red) is gonna be seen much better on brighter brown (green for us) if this guy cannot distinguish between the 2.

Seems like simple addition to graphics menu, AOE color.
but off course i know nothing about coding

For Glade and Glory

Posted by: Arrion.2185

Arrion.2185

A colorblind mode would be nice, though I don’t know of any NCsoft/Arenanet titles that use it. Fact is, only game I’ve seen actually introduce one, is one I refuse to name.

Posted by: Risa Aerulight.3914

Risa Aerulight.3914

Well the textures of the aoe circles can be changed in a few clicks. The coding to add it back into the game might be a few hours and the coding and artwork for the UI adjustment might be a few more. Plus testing time to make sure it worked. shrug But, it is possible and a good idea. It is important to be able to distinguish between friendly and non-friendly spells. If they don’t have the time for this on their end, Anet could just approve uMod for accessibility use. (it may already be an approved use, I wouldn’t know for sure so ask support if you do want to do this) This would allow players to adjust the texture of aoe circles to a color they can see all by themselves. This isn’t the most ideal solution of course because it can be a challenge for the end user to learn how to do.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

isn’t color blindness not being able to distinguish color? that means there is still a color forming a red ring; it just isn’t red for them

There’s more than one kind of color blindness. Some see only black and white, while others see only a few colors. For them, some colors (red and green is a common one) look the same.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

I Iron Monk I.2103

could make it like the dye list and have maybe 8-10 colors and select one you want to see as an enemy aoe circle i dont know but it would make the game more enjoyable for the people who have a harder time in dungeons or wvw because they dont know when to dodge

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

don’t think brighter brown (for us red) is gonna be seen much better on brighter brown (green for us) if this guy cannot distinguish between the 2.

Seems like simple addition to graphics menu, AOE color.
but off course i know nothing about coding

Hence why I suggeseted high contrast and not color changing.

Those high contrast modes on monitors and video cards exist for a reason, because they allow color blind people to distinguish unique elements based upon brightness and saturation, not just hue. Just changing colors won’t work for everyone, because there will always be something in the game that is the same color (green circle on grass?) and you likely won’t be able to see it anyway.

Contrast does not increase brightness, it increases or decreases the distance between individual colors on the gamut, making them more “different”.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Umm, but there is no green rings. There is red rings and white rings and they’re have different animations

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

One reason why I dislike eles and even engineers is that their animations spam obscure the damage indicators.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.