A returning players, how is Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

It has been a long while since I have posted on these forums. I have been largly inactive since the release of Heart of Thorns and I have a couple of questions (I am apologize if they seem stupid).

How is Guild Wars 2 nowadays? Does it feel like the game is going places and is there a new direction as far as how the game is developed? (I heard Colin left, did that lead to any difference?)

How is the population? Is WvW still active? Are the servers still populated?

I am a returning player and I would love to know more about the state of the game. If the game is stagnating or if it feels like the game is still alive and well.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I will say that the living world releases are definitely fun and enjoyable, but the main game feels like a chore most of the time.

The population shifts to the new living world maps a lot of the time, which is okay, but it leaves a lot of the other maps barren. WvW is still active as ever. Since a megaserver was implemented, all of the servers have effectively been merged into one giant server, so there aren’t any problems with server population being low.

I encourage you to try the game for yourself and see if you like it. To me, it’s beyond boring to play the game without any new content and then being able to complete the content in a day or two.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

There’s a direction…it’s slow and calculated and ultimately turns some people away because it feels like we have to wait 3 months for anything of merit to ship and the content released definitely does not hold peoples attention for that span.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

There is a reason why mmorpgs take a long time to develop, Guild wars 2 is however one of the fastest. To answer your question OP, maps, WVW, PVP are all still lively and content is still being put out regularly. Style wise it will be similar to when you left, there have been new living season releases and quite a few QOL changes around looting/salvaging etc.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Things have gotten better since the HoT revamp in April. The core world is “alive” again.

The glider mastery in HoT can now be used in most parts of the PvE world (exceptions are instances and around some jumping puzzles) but not PvP or WvW. This gives a very different feel running around the core maps.

They’ve been sprinkling in “current events” leading up to and now between Living World Season 3 episodes. The first two include new level 80 maps.

WvW has been revamped with a reward track system for playing.

New legendary weapons have started again after a six month suspension.

Then there’s a bunch of QoL things they’ve added.

Overall, I know I’m playing more and that the royal terrace area of DR is certainly more crowded than in February.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Griever.7480

Griever.7480

It’s only going down, i’d uninstall while you can, it’s not worth the 24Gb on your hard drive.

Posted by: azorean.1850

azorean.1850

It’s only going down, i’d uninstall while you can, it’s not worth the 24Gb on your hard drive.

dude whats wrong with you? every kitten post of yours is negative.
if you hate the game this bad, wtf are you doing playing it or posting on the forum?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

You already own it why not try it out for yourself. No one can tell you how you will like it.

For myself I find the maps full of people and people playing the game. I still find new things to see and do even on the “old” maps and I have been playing since Beta.

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

I’ve been playing since the very first closed beta and think the game is still all around soild, especially if your comparing it to other current titles. Most of the people who call the game stale have either been playing for a very long time or have played a great deal of MMOs and find the current MMO standard boring. Or just straight up don’t know what they are talking about.

Guild wars 2 has always been going places, and still has a lot going for it. The game still needs to fill up the entire world map and provide us with the two missing continents as seen in guild wars 1.

Previously, the game really felt like the devs had all these ideas they wanted the game to have, but we’re not sure on how they should tackle all of their issues. Lots of redesigns, additions, removeal, etc. But now I believe they have found their footing and have a much better idea on how they want to progress their game.

Everything is getting touched, but we are still in the improvement stage. Once the improvements have been made, we should expect to see alot more content.

Posted by: Sparrow.8423

Sparrow.8423

if you hate the game this bad, wtf are you doing playing it or posting on the forum?

I notice sometimes in game forums when some people are leaving a game, they seem to want to take as many people as they can with them. I’ve never quite figured out why.

Is it because misery loves company? Or do they want to punish the game company for letting them down by stirring up descent? Maybe they are hoping a chunk of the population will shift to their chosen destination game and help support it? It’s a mystery. But don’t worry about it. I don’t think these people ever get what they are looking for.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Not so. Where’s that can of pest-be-gone?

Posted by: FOKOZUYNEN.8206

FOKOZUYNEN.8206

My opinion about game: i like it the fact that game have the oprtunity to become something but im the end have become a mix of any mmo that you know, let me explain: wehn you combine a fight in game with sword and hammer and in same you bring lasers and rockets some people cant find the logic either we do a fight in antic world where we use catapults either we use robots with rockets and lasers —what is the logic ?-—- when in all game a class as necromancer is know to be the best as condition damage and in this game is better as critical damage and any other class have more condition damage then him —-what is the logic?-—.
when you cant do game where players are based on theyr experience and theyr build and items what ANET do they just nerf and make winner profession and loser profession so you dont have a IDENTITY in the game you just need to have at the right time in the right moment the right profesion.
after all the time the lag is the same the maps become to be as CONFUSED seems that someone have just throw evrything from design inventory software and made a nice labirynth but no landscape. WvW was one of the best thing before they make it more complicated and right when evryone was sure they will bring something awesome they brought something that quite no one like it and we vote Desert just for diversity since we knew it that devs will not gona try for desing of another map.As for PvP one thing that i hate was the oice that is say ,,we losing that^^ you got that…cant you find some mystic voice something like horror voices and not those star trek voices from my TomTom.
Now things that i like it: security , anticheat , choice and combination between profesion and race, customization.
Overall a game with potential but that have lost it on the road and is losing ,,,after all money i put in game those things that i like it got vanish i just log to see friends and bye bye.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior!

GuildWars2 is beautiful! Especially when you checked all the other Dolyak dung that is available. All seem to fail hard in one or two vital aspects, GW2 manages all departments very well, only here and there is a thing where I go like “Meh…”.

Many people complain about “the game has gone down the drain”, but then people who disagree with this special part of the community take over their seat, just as me. If you played GTA2 you know: If you shoot the Zaibatsu, the Yakuza will be happy, the Zaibatsu will hunt you down. If you shoot Yakuza, the Loonies will like you even more. It is virtually impossible to have all the gang’s reputation maximized at once (except for that one cheat).

HoT is a blast and I totally recommend it, it’s like in this 90s SEGA commercial with that kid being blown against the wall while playing it. I usually play 30-150 minutes a day and I make slow, but fun progress. If you enjoy the game like a good cigar instead of a treadmill job, you will get the maximum out of this leisure time activity. Emphasis on the last words @ all the tryhards.

Check his name.

You’re a bit off. I love every single Byte it consumes!

EDIT: My keyboard appears to brake slowly; missing letters. Read like a Bookah typed it!

Attachments:

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

How about you log in and find out for yourself? I am always baffled by this kind of topics. Is others supposed to tell you what you will like or not like? Naturally in this kind of topics, some will tell you its doing great and others that its doing terrible. Its all about taste and opinions, so go find for yourself, mate.