A serious question...

A serious question...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Lately, more and more I’ve had serious issues getting the will to log in… Now please do not take this as a humble brag I am merely trying to apply some context to the situation. I currently have 7 legendaries, at least double that in ascended weapons, almost every single high end exotic weapon (Mjolnir, Infinite Light, etc…) and weapon skin in the game(even the limited time ones like from first Halloween), 7 sets of ascended armor, Fractal backpack, closing in on level 1k in WvW…

I honestly am finding it difficult to find a reason to log in anymore…

When LS content comes out it is at best 1-2 days worth. Yes there are recipes and such to chase but the major portion of the content can be completed in hours.

Feature updates hit and most are meh at best, some QOL stuff, some balancing, some UI stuff but nothing ever truly amazing.

I guess my question is… for those of you that have been at this since launch like me, and have achieved alot of your personal in game goals, what is it that keeps bringing you back? What keeps you playing? Because at the moment I am finding it more and more difficult to find reason to.

I’ve even started looking at other games which saddens me given all I have accomplished here…

I wish ANET would really consider a full fledged expansion… or some other form of EPICLY major content, ie new continent, race, profession, etc… getting spoon fed bits of stuff every two weeks that is of lower and lower quality each time and can be completed in shorter and shorter periods is destroying my interest.

Personally, I liked the original Halloween. Yes it was released like LS but a little bit trickled out every couple of days… To me THAT format was SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I don’t know just want to get some honest feedback here…

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

A serious question...

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’ve been playing for a year and a half, have only a fraction of the skins you have it looks like, no legendaries or ascended, and still happily log on every day. Sometimes a few times a day. Obviously we have different things we get out of the game but is your regular play session many hours long? It seems the way the game has been styled it doesn’t really cater to player who can do that.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I’ve been playing for a year and a half, have only a fraction of the skins you have it looks like, no legendaries or ascended, and still happily log on every day. Sometimes a few times a day. Obviously we have different things we get out of the game but is your regular play session many hours long? It seems the way the game has been styled it doesn’t really cater to player who can do that.

Well I work 50 hours a week so maybe about 4 hours a night… days off about 8 hours…

Lately though I seem to log in and chat and stand around There just isn’t anything that interests me anymore sadly…

A serious question...

zenleto.6179

Huh…about the same as me lol. I think I’ve seen you running around. You have a character of the same name? Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that after two years there’s probably nothing wrong with taking a look around at other things. You can with this game, at least.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Huh…about the same as me lol. I think I’ve seen you running around. You have a character of the same name? Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that after two years there’s probably nothing wrong with taking a look around at other things. You can with this game, at least.

Yes my main is of the same name… he is usually seen wielding Eternity.

A serious question...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My guild is what keeps me going. I’m bored with pretty much any game in two years, unless I have a group of people making it fun. Since I’m having fun, I’m more patient for new content.

A serious question...

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Sounds like you need to take a break and play something else.
GW2 will still be there in the future.

Of course, to play content you’ve missed, you’ll have to pay, unlike people who log in every day.
To clarify, as soon as you stop playing, ArenaNet punish you for it, further distancing you from the product. Not the cleverest long-term thinking on their behalf.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

A serious question...

Vayne.8563

Or you can just log in, unlock the updates and log out again. It’s not like he has to install the game.

A serious question...

zenleto.6179

Yes my main is of the same name… he is usually seen wielding Eternity.

That sound about right. Doing Maw sometime during the week maybe, since its the only world boss I regularly do anymore.

Well, don’t let the game dominate your life. If you need to break away from it then you should, even for a little while. It shouldn’t be as hard as breaking up with person

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

My guild is what keeps me going. I’m bored with pretty much any game in two years, unless I have a group of people making it fun. Since I’m having fun, I’m more patient for new content.

Yeah I love my guild… always fun hanging out and chatting with them… I just don’t find any content worth doign anymore I suppose…

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Or you can just log in, unlock the updates and log out again. It’s not like he has to install the game.

Will definitely be logging in to unlock things of course. Would be stupid not to. The only thing that I know I will definitely login in and play immediately will be Halloween and Wintersday content. Love that stuff! Though first Halloween was MUCH better than the second in my opinion…

A serious question...

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Well I work 50 hours a week so maybe about 4 hours a night… days off about 8 hours…

Please don’t take this the wrong way – so 36 hours a week average play time? Some of us have families and get maybe 4 hours a week.

I guess I’m happy that you have everything but…

A serious question...

Vayne.8563

Yeah I love my guild… always fun hanging out and chatting with them… I just don’t find any content worth doign anymore I suppose…

I play a lot, so I end up helping newbies learn the game. It’s always fun. And I can vicariously enjoy some stuff for the first time again. It’s rather nice.

And I’ll enjoy collecting I’m sure as well. I won’t be buying the stuff, I’ll try to get it in game…a bit at a time.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Please don’t take this the wrong way – so 36 hours a week average play time? Some of us have families and get maybe 4 hours a week.

I guess I’m happy that you have everything but…

Oh I have a family too. My girlfriend and I play together after our little one goes to bed… I’m a restaurant manager so used to small amounts of sleep.

A serious question...

Mungrul.9358

Still doesn’t stop the practice being punitive to returning users who have paid the exact same amount as those who never left.
Butter this any way you like, it’s a repulsive practise, in the most literal meaning of the word “repulsive”.
It actively repels customers.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.

A serious question...

Vayne.8563

Still doesn’t stop the practice being punitive to returning users who have paid the exact same amount as those who never left.
Butter this any way you like, it’s a repulsive practise, in the most literal meaning of the word “repulsive”.

Or it rewards loyal customers, however you call it.

I don’t know many games that give you free content updates forever and ever on the purchase price. And since you can trade gold for gems, people coming back don’t even have to spend real cash to get those updates.

If people like that stuff, they can buy it. If they can’t they can still play the game without those specific instances and rewards.

I guess I’m a glass is half full type of guy.

A serious question...

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

OP I hate that you are so lucky I guess getting a precursor is a piece of cake for you most will never get a precursor.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

OP I hate that you are so lucky I guess getting a precursor is a piece of cake for you most will never get a precursor.

only 4 of the 7 were drops or forged… the other three I earned the gold to purchase

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I don’t know many games that give you free content updates forever and ever on the purchase price. And since you can trade gold for gems, people coming back don’t even have to spend real cash to get those updates.

If people like that stuff, they can buy it. If they can’t they can still play the game without those specific instances and rewards.

I would EASILY drop $30-50 on a large expansion…

A serious question...

Vayne.8563

Yep me too.

A serious question...

zenleto.6179

Yep me too.

Same. I’d imagine we all would.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Would definitely like to give more money to a game I have known and loved for the past two years for an expansion than to a new game I know little about… that said ANET isn’t willing to do that and as such they are going to be losing a lot of veteran players I think…

Take for instance this collections thing… yeah its cool. Would have been better from the start. I know I will complete a majority just by logging in… To me though it is just a time waster to keep people distracted from the fact that no major content is on the horizon which is sad…

A serious question...

Mungrul.9358

“Loyal” customers?
Hah. I would guess there’s a buttload of players who play GW2 every day and have never given ArenaNet a cent beyond initial purchase price.
How do they contribute to development costs beyond taking up server cycles?

Face it Vayne, creating an arbitrary two-tier system of haves-and-have-nots is never good business practice.

Your opinion from the inside looking out is also incredibly condescending.
You’re okay, because you’ve got yours.
Those people who may be interested in coming back?
Yeah, screw them!
Make them pay!

And that you don’t know of many other games that offer regular free updates just highlights how much time of yours GW2 takes up.
I doubt you’ve got time to play many other games when you’re playing GW2 on a daily basis.

There’s a world of games out there that regularly offer new content for free, with Valve’s DOTA 2 and TF2 being prime examples.
And one of GW2’s main competitors, Diablo 3, has just released patch 2.1.0 which adds swathes of new content, all for free.

I wouldn’t call DOTA 2 a competitor of GW2 by the way. That’s leagues above GW2 in player attraction and retention rates.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

How sad would it be for someone to start a kickstarter to crowdfund a GW2 expansion…

A serious question...

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Your post is not elitist or bragging or whatever..it is very recognizable. For me, I really find fun in helping low level and new players around in different aspects of the game.
Maybe this is what could motivate you?

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

A serious question...

Vayne.8563

“Loyal” customers?
Hah. I would guess there’s a buttload of players who play GW2 every day and have never given ArenaNet a cent beyond initial purchase price.
How do they contribute to development costs beyond taking up server cycles?

Face it Vayne, creating an arbitrary two-tier system of haves-and-have-nots is never good business practice.

Your opinion from the inside looking out is also incredibly condescending.
You’re okay, because you’ve got yours.
Those people who may be interested in coming back?
Yeah, screw them!
Make them pay!

And that you don’t know of many other games that offer regular free updates just highlights how much time of yours GW2 takes up.
I doubt you’ve got time to play many other games when you’re playing GW2 on a daily basis.

There’s a world of games out there that regularly offer new content for free, with Valve’s DOTA 2 and TF2 being prime examples.
And one of GW2’s main competitors, Diablo 3, has just released patch 2.1.0 which adds swathes of new content, all for free.

I wouldn’t call DOTA 2 a competitor of GW2 by the way. That’s leagues above GW2 in player attraction and retention rates.

Seems like every MMO with expansions creates a tier system of have an have nots. Every MMO with an optional subscription too.

Charging for content that doesn’t particularly affect progression isn’t really creating a have and have not type of society, particularly if you can farm gold and buy the chapter’s you’re missing.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Your post is not elitist or bragging or whatever..it is very recognizable. For me, I really find fun in helping low level and new players around in different aspects of the game.
Maybe this is what could motivate you?

Yeah I do that… ask any of my guildies I’ve given away thousands of gold and various weapons and weapon skins… Just the other day I got a new Guildie Wings of Dwayna. At one point I had 42 Black Lion Claim tickets and ran contests to give away BL skins…

I’ve always bee a very pay it forward kind of person… I get alot of joy out of helping others but still I need content to keep me motivated to log in…

A serious question...

Posted by: Ciucan.5092

Ciucan.5092

Solomon,make a Permadeath character:),I know Wooden Potates was in kinda the similar situation you are and decided to try to look at the game from a diffrent perspective .

Honestly,my personal advice would be to reduce the hours spent in game,30 hr a week can make anyone get bored,especially someone who has achieved most of his goals.

A serious question...

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

You didn’t experience the game, you just played it. That’s fine if you just want to steamroll content as it comes out. Even if, which they won’t and hope would never consider, decided on making an ‘expansion’ you would just steamroll that too. This applies to everyone posting ‘goodbye’ threads.

Try starting a new character without assistance from old characters and play again, but this time: watch the cinematics, read the dialogue, play a class you hate, join/form a new community (as you probably just joined a steamroll guild to faceroll content) and make that community flourish.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

You didn’t experience the game, you just played it. That’s fine if you just want to steamroll content as it comes out. Even if, which they won’t and hope would never consider, decided on making an ‘expansion’ you would just steamroll that too. This applies to everyone posting ‘goodbye’ threads.

Try starting a new character without assistance from old characters and play again, but this time: watch the cinematics, read the dialogue, play a class you hate, join/form a new community (as you probably just joined a steamroll guild to faceroll content) and make that community flourish.

I have a level 80 of every profession. Also have made toons of every race. Completed personal stories on all. I’ve seen the cinematics… I’ve epxlored every map, done every JP, found all the “hidden” areas… and yes I stop to take screens and just admire the absolute beauty of this game… but when you have seen the same stuff over and over hundreds of times… well…

I steamroll LS content bc it is easy to do…

I’ve been a high level officer or GM in most of the major guilds on my server…

Thanks for passing judgement though!

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon,make a Permadeath character:),I know Wooden Potates was in kinda the similar situation you are and decided to try to look at the game from a diffrent perspective .

Honestly,my personal advice would be to reduce the hours spent in game,30 hr a week can make anyone get bored,especially someone who has achieved most of his goals.

lol what is a permadeath character?

A serious question...

zenleto.6179

If it dies it gets deleted.

A serious question...

Ciucan.5092

For instance,you start a new class ,bla bla,make up a new rule set : only 10 lives allowed.If you die more than 10 times during leveling,you delete him,or go even more hardcore,5 or maybe…just maybe…..ONE!!:))

I promise you when you get to lvl 70-80 areas,you start feeling a chill

A serious question...

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Go outside then? Play less than 70hrs a week?

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

lol nice might try that

A serious question...

Ciucan.5092

He plays around 30 not 70,and the reasons why he plays this much are his own

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

What is it with you and your hateful judgements man? I play 30-40 a week…

A serious question...

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Just take a break, the game will be here when you get back.

A serious question...

zenleto.6179

lol nice might try that

I keep thinking to do this as well. You can set all sorts of rules for yourself. I’ve got a second account doing nothing…hmmm…

A serious question...

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Lately, more and more I’ve had serious issues getting the will to log in… Now please do not take this as a humble brag I am merely trying to apply some context to the situation. I currently have 7 legendaries, at least double that in ascended weapons, almost every single high end exotic weapon (Mjolnir, Infinite Light, etc…) and weapon skin in the game(even the limited time ones like from first Halloween), 7 sets of ascended armor, Fractal backpack, closing in on level 1k in WvW…

When LS content comes out it is at best 1-2 days worth. Yes there are recipes and such to chase but the major portion of the content can be completed in hours.

Feature updates hit and most are meh at best, some QOL stuff, some balancing, some UI stuff but nothing ever truly amazing.

I guess my question is… for those of you that have been at this since launch like me, and have achieved alot of your personal in game goals, what is it that keeps bringing you back? What keeps you playing? Because at the moment I am finding it more and more difficult to find reason to.

I’ve even started looking at other games which saddens me given all I have accomplished here…

I wish ANET would really consider a full fledged expansion… or some other form of EPICLY major content, ie new continent, race, profession, etc… getting spoon fed bits of stuff every two weeks that is of lower and lower quality each time and can be completed in shorter and shorter periods is destroying my interest.

Personally, I liked the original Halloween. Yes it was released like LS but a little bit trickled out every couple of days… To me THAT format was SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Quite honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would call it quits for quite some time. You basically beat the game.

I’ve been playing since early release, have ~1600hrs logged, and have 0 legendaries, 1 ascended set, 2 ascended weapons, and a random assortment of rare skins, and only ~200 WvW rank.

Normally I’m all about telling people to make your own goals to achieve, etc., but with what you’ve listed I would say you’ve beaten the game. Take a break until new content comes out. Or pick a new MMO and play it slowly. You’ll never enjoy an MMO for long if you play hardcore all the time. Eventually you will get everything and do everything and there will be literally nothing left but log on and stare at the screen.

That’s where you are in GW2. Which is where most players would be 4 years from release, you’re way ahead of schedule.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

A serious question...

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I have been playing the game since pre launch, and do not have a single legendary. I’m a casual player (2,000+ hours) and with 8 characters I don’t worry about not having anything to do. When I reach the point where I’ve accomplished everything I want to do in the game, then I will move on to another game. Obviously, for me that means at least another 4 to 5 years of game play.
But really if you are having a hard time finding a reason to log in, then it appears to be time to move on to another game. The great thing about this game is, that with no sub fee you can feel free to come back to it a year from now and see if anything has been added that you would like to accomplish.

A serious question...

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

That would be my opinion also.

The thing is you kinda emptied things to look for and you need a break, just like I had few months ago. So just get a life and log in once every few days or just take a month off. Find another game, hobby.

This shows that you have too different approach to the game that ANet strives for. This is a game for people who log in to have fun, not as much as people who log in an accomplish something by grinding instead of having a live. I guess that PvP and WvW are more for people with a lot of time in their hands.

Sure ANet made some points for those people who like playing more than spending time with others (look at new collections that will take time and gold), but really, thats only as much as they intend as I see it. Average content is for people who have work and families.
Yes those of us spend time with family play average 2-3h a day at best (if we have time for that at all), that way LS takes us like 4-5 days to make LS, and we can calmly wait another week for new episode.

A serious question...

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Quite honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would call it quits for quite some time. You basically beat the game.

I’ve been playing since early release, have ~1600hrs logged, and have 0 legendaries, 1 ascended set, 2 ascended weapons, and a random assortment of rare skins, and only ~200 WvW rank.

Normally I’m all about telling people to make your own goals to achieve, etc., but with what you’ve listed I would say you’ve beaten the game. Take a break until new content comes out. Or pick a new MMO and play it slowly. You’ll never enjoy an MMO for long if you play hardcore all the time. Eventually you will get everything and do everything and there will be literally nothing left but log on and stare at the screen.

That’s where you are in GW2. Which is where most players would be 4 years from release, you’re way ahead of schedule.

Yeah I am sitting at about 4300 hours of play… Part of my issue is I am OCD when it comes to collecting things… that said I am very input versus output oriented… I will only input the time and effort if I feel the output will be worth it… I guess you could call it selective OCD collecting? lol