A suggestion about Drop Rates.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikkado.7321

Rikkado.7321

So after the god knows how manieth time running tequatl, even popping into the map 30 mins early to secure some space for my guildies, yet still not getting any worhwile drop, except for a spoon, wich i get every.single.time i run tequatl, i had an idea or a suggestion, if you may for the fact that there are players, who, no matter how many times they farm something or grind on something until they puke, they don’t get that ascended drop, or even the spoon i so hate getting now, yet you always see people pinging those elusive ascended chests or precursors.

The idea:
Each time you don’t get a certain drop from a certain boss or chest, it’s droprate goes up (ofcourse varying according to the loot), until a certain percentage, say 80%, when the item drops, the drop rate is reset to its original state, this ensures that you feel like you won’t be doing something for nothing, knowing that the RNG will always make it so you only have this much chance of getting something.

It makes the game feel more fair towards people who spend days trying to get something, while someone who only does something once already gets the motherload of drops. Or gives an alternative to people who don’t only want craft something, it could even be applied to the mystic forge, so it doesn’t feel like you need to spend thousands of gold just to get that precursor, so that you know that there’s a limit to how much you need to spend. It could keep the game more active and stops certain items on the trading post from becoming such a chore to get that people just stop playing. Yet it doesn’t make it so that an item will get overloaded into the game, because you still need to do an action a certain amount of times to get the drop rate so high again that you will see it drop again, unless you’re lucky, but that’s how it already is with RNG itself.

Sorry for my large amount of text, i don’t know if someone posted this already (since the forum search option never gives me results whatever i search), or if implementing a system like this is even remotely plausible (i’ve seen something similar in upgrading armor/weapons in other mmo’s).

If you’ve read this far, i thank you for letting me take some of your time, please leave an opinion if you think this would be a good idea or not.

May RNGesus bless you,
Rikkado

(edited by Rikkado.7321)

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

If you ask me and i know you aren’t, if you look for loot you play the game wrong and of course it leads to disappointment.

Have you ever thought about playing to enjoy the content ????

I really couldn’t care less about loot and i believe everything is fine.
Serious… if you guys wanna loot get a archaeology degree and start digging.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

I’ve always said that nothing in this game should be subject to RNG and that all bosses have some sort of merchant attached to them and that each time you defeat them you gain a bonus chest with some form of currency. You can spend this currency to get the rare drops. The caveat is they would be account bound so you wouldn’t screw with any markets while still allowing you to progress towards your goal of a mini/weapon/skin/etc.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

A side effect of having a real world money trading post is that drop rates must be stupidly low.

I’m not going to explain why this is. I’ve already done that 1000 times. Think about it and the answer is obvious.

Unless you’re proposing they remove the real money trading post this thread is meaningless.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

A side effect of having a real world money trading post is that drop rates must be stupidly low.

I’m not going to explain why this is. I’ve already done that 1000 times. Think about it and the answer is obvious.

Unless you’re proposing they remove the real money trading post this thread is meaningless.

I like the idea very much but removing the gems to gold would be ridiculous since it’s an established feature that helps people along.

The major problem with stupidly low drop rates is it means there’s less of that item, which means the price drastically goes up as there are far fewer undercutters for that item. If someone does undercut then a reseller would just buy it and resell it at a more expensive price.

When Taimini dyes were released electro dyes went down to more appropriate prices. Coincidence? I think not. More precursors (I disagree about the non-trading post part of his post) would lower the price so you’d need fewer gems to purchase them.

More of an item basically helps keep the resellers in check so a legitimate purchaser has a better chance of buying (and actually using) the item.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If you ask me and i know you aren’t, if you look for loot you play the game wrong and of course it leads to disappointment.

All you need is a metal detector and a beach. Real archaeologists don’t get to keep anything valuable they dig up. Such go either to the dig sponsor or more likely the country that allowed the dig to happen. The only archaeologists who keep stuff these days are in Hollywood.

Loot is one of the supports on which MMO’s build. Content gets old fast, particularly if consumed at the rate that many MMO players play. Low-chance high-desirability loot encourages repetition long after the novelty has worn off for most players.

ANet abandoned the idea that everyone would endlessly repeat content for fun when they added guaranteed rares to world bosses a long time ago. Kudos to you if you can play this game without carrots. A lot of people won’t. Unfortunately for the OP, what that means is that the carrots are not going to get easier to get.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I’ve always said that nothing in this game should be subject to RNG and that all bosses have some sort of merchant attached to them and that each time you defeat them you gain a bonus chest with some form of currency. You can spend this currency to get the rare drops. The caveat is they would be account bound so you wouldn’t screw with any markets while still allowing you to progress towards your goal of a mini/weapon/skin/etc.

This. I mean, it’s not like we really need all that many more currencies in the game, but this would be the fairest way to preserve the fun aspects of RNG while mitigating the worst aspects.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I like the idea very much but removing the gems to gold would be ridiculous since it’s an established feature that helps people along.

The major problem with stupidly low drop rates is it means there’s less of that item, which means the price drastically goes up as there are far fewer undercutters for that item. If someone does undercut then a reseller would just buy it and resell it at a more expensive price.

When Taimini dyes were released electro dyes went down to more appropriate prices. Coincidence? I think not. More precursors (I disagree about the non-trading post part of his post) would lower the price so you’d need fewer gems to purchase them.

More of an item basically helps keep the resellers in check so a legitimate purchaser has a better chance of buying (and actually using) the item.

I was not suggesting that they ever would remove the real money trading post, nor would I even think that’s a possibility.

They cannot just go increasing drop rates as long as there’s a real money auction house. It’s simply a matter of math.

The real money AH is the reason the drops are so low. Try using logic to problem solve why this is.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Black Lion Chests use something like this method: they have a decent chance to drop ticket scraps; collect 10 to create a ticket.

They could do this for every item in the game with a tiny drop rate by introducing new currencies. And they are doing something like this with map rewards and masteries and collections, allowing folks to make measurable progress (even if it’s still inherently random).

I’m in favor of this. However, it takes a lot more effort to set it up, test, and balance it and to a certain extent, I still might prefer to see a greater variety of loot, even if the drop rates are terrible for specific shinies.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rikkado.7321

Rikkado.7321

But doing the same content over and over without any decent reward? At some point you will get disappointed , of course i didn’t start out going for loot, but after 3 years of playing, i’d like something nice as a drop once in a while..

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

May be one way of enjoying content is receiving a valuable loot drop now and then? It has nothing to do with playing the game in the wrong way. If loot drops are unimportant, why are they there in the first place?

I can feel the OPs pain. Drop rates in this game are pathetic.