A truly Legendary punishment - Charged Lodes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ath.2531

Ath.2531

I just finished yet another hourly charged lodestone grind with 0 drops. And then it hit me: I have to spend between 150-250 hours to either farm for charged lodestones or farm them. By my playing standards that is around month and approximately 400g(by buying the cores instead)

Before you say that i want it easy mode or that i feel entitled to anything, i have finished most of my expensive gifts including fortune and i have no issues finishing up the rest of them BUT

Farming for Lodestones is a new level of grind, one that i have never seen in my 10 years of playing mmos and has to be by far the worst thing i have ahead of me.

My question is: Was this how the quest for a legendary really envisioned? Has anyone who developed this concept even tried to farm these recently? You have had 4 months to watch your data and make adjustments. It makes me think: Is this really intended? How could it, possibly?

I can hardly grasp it…

Commander Athrael ThunderBorn
GM of Crew of Misfits (CoM)
Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Avien.8036

Avien.8036

Easier to just farm the gold and buy it from TP.

Posted by: nawrasz.6219

nawrasz.6219

It’s pretty easy to make 3-5 gold an hour. Say 4 gold an hour you’d need 100 hours in total of farming lodestones, probably more like around 80 or so when you include lucky drops/rares while doing dungeons. I’m not going to say this is realistic or over the top. All in all I still think it’s too “easy” to aquire a legendary on this game, considering what it’s supposed to be. The only thing I would say that’s ridiculous is the amount of repetitiveness involved. I understand having to take a long time to achieve a certain goal, but things like having to repeat the jumping puzzles over and over to get the badges or farm FotM for obsidians or Karma/doing Balthezar to get the clovers etc is pretty painful.

I’m not sure which games you’ve played before but there are games out there who have items/weapons/armors that take MONTHS of doing the same thing every single day over and over to achieve them. Legendary on here isn’t that bad (still bad though) compared to those games.

Ath.2531

It’s pretty easy to make 3-5 gold an hour. Say 4 gold an hour you’d need 100 hours in total of farming lodestones, probably more like around 80 or so when you include lucky drops/rares while doing dungeons. I’m not going to say this is realistic or over the top. All in all I still think it’s too “easy” to aquire a legendary on this game, considering what it’s supposed to be. The only thing I would say that’s ridiculous is the amount of repetitiveness involved. I understand having to take a long time to achieve a certain goal, but things like having to repeat the jumping puzzles over and over to get the badges or farm FotM for obsidians or Karma/doing Balthezar to get the clovers etc is pretty painful.

I’m not sure which games you’ve played before but there are games out there who have items/weapons/armors that take MONTHS of doing the same thing every single day over and over to achieve them. Legendary on here isn’t that bad (still bad though) compared to those games.

I do make 3g per hour. That is not the issue. It is that i have to do this for around 1 month. The repetitiveness. ..god

Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Um, no…if you take a month you’ll find lodestone price inflated

Try to do it in a week or prepare for 1-2 extra weeks after your month to match inflation

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Farming a month? That’s totally acceptable.

I’ve farmed hardcore the past week and made 300g.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I just finished yet another hourly charged lodestone grind with 0 drops. And then it hit me: I have to spend between 150-250 hours to either farm for charged lodestones or farm them. By my playing standards that is around month and approximately 400g(by buying the cores instead)

Before you say that i want it easy mode or that i feel entitled to anything, i have finished most of my expensive gifts including fortune and i have no issues finishing up the rest of them BUT

Farming for Lodestones is a new level of grind, one that i have never seen in my 10 years of playing mmos and has to be by far the worst thing i have ahead of me.

My question is: Was this how the quest for a legendary really envisioned? Has anyone who developed this concept even tried to farm these recently? You have had 4 months to watch your data and make adjustments. It makes me think: Is this really intended? How could it, possibly?

I can hardly grasp it…

I’m not even trying for a legendary and I’m right there with you Ath.

All I wanted to do was help my husband gear his first toon and gear my ranger alt.

Don’t forget “their software doesn’t show this” so it must be solely your perception of the drop rate. That’s what I keep seeing.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: nawrasz.6219

nawrasz.6219

I do make 3g per hour. That is not the issue. It is that i have to do this for around 1 month. The repetitiveness. ..god

Yeah, I agree with you there. I know how it feels I got all my lodestones AND my clovers and all T6 mats and all that hubaluba. The only thing left now are my WvW badges and map completion and WvW badges to me are as bad if not worse than the clovers/lodestones.

Posted by: WarMacheen.7124

WarMacheen.7124

I farmed with close to 200% magic find, for 8 hours over 1 week.

I found 2

I’m done farming for that crap.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

don’t farm for lodestones. farm for the money and then buy them. period.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

Lodestones are drops that people happen to come by…
They are not farmable, please understand that.

Best to buy off TP, with all the ethics involved.

WarMacheen.7124

Lol, have you purchased 250 charged lodestones from the TP?

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Or how about waiting for the legendary scavenger hunt? that way the grind actually has a meaning.

Horheristo.3607

I’ve got my Sunrise, I don’t need any more of them.
100g left to finish Juggernaut by the way.

But for the record, I did finish my Sunrise long ago when they were 1.2g each.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Man I don’t know why you’re punishing yourself so much.
Legendaries aren’t supposed to be farmed for, you slowly accumulate gold and then buy them months later.
Enjoy the game and don’t go mad on obsessions.

WarMacheen.7124

Or how about waiting for the legendary scavenger hunt? that way the grind actually has a meaning.

Or how about Anet fix the drop rates

There are other recipes, besides legendary, that require lodestones.

WarMacheen.7124

I’ve got my Sunrise, I don’t need any more of them.
100g left to finish Juggernaut by the way.

But for the record, I did finish my Sunrise long ago when they were 1.2g each.

Thus your argument is invalid. Plus I am not trying to make a legendary, simply an exotic

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Legendaries aren’t supposed to be farmed for, you slowly accumulate gold and then buy them months later.

Wrong.

Average gold income is below the inflation curve for precursors.

WarMacheen.7124

Wrong.

Average gold income is below the inflation curve for precursors.

Don’t try and bring actual facts into the equation, people are simply being entitled when they try and gather materials for hour and hours with no return .lol

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

This is true, but problem is the longer you wait to start the harder it will be to obtain, between ANet constantly tampering with drop rates, massive inflation of prices on all materials and precursors needed to complete the task it will turn into a never ending grind, and if you have bad rng you may never get it.

Sorry for the rant but I am a bit bitter due to using up 315 globs of ectoplasm and being stuck at 64 mystic clovers, not to mention I haven’t gotten a single T6 mat other than ancient bones and piles of crystalline dust and 3 whole Lodestones for my hammer since mid November, its like my account has a perma DR on it.

Come to think of it now I don’t know why I am punishing myself so much!, Maybe its time for a break and play something happy and friendly like little big planet or something.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

You do know your farming for a legendary skin right? It was meant to take time or money to get…. and again IT IS A SKIN it doesn’t affect your game at all.

… some people like to complain for the sake of complaining on these forums.

Ath.2531

This is true, but problem is the longer you wait to start the harder it will be to obtain, between ANet constantly tampering with drop rates, massive inflation of prices on all materials and precursors needed to complete the task it will turn into a never ending grind, and if you have bad rng you may never get it.

Sorry for the rant but I am a bit bitter due to using up 315 globs of ectoplasm and being stuck at 64 mystic clovers, not to mention I haven’t gotten a single T6 mat other than ancient bones and piles of crystalline dust and 3 whole Lodestones for my hammer since mid November, its like my account has a perma DR on it.

Come to think of it now I don’t know why I am punishing myself so much!, Maybe its time for a break and play something happy and friendly like little big planet or something.

100 times this, man. The harder you wait, the harder it gets because the avg gold making will never catch up to the inflation.

But 315 ecto? Jesus, man. Did my clovers with 171 ecto. Thats one thing i have been lucky with. Have you been doing 1’s??? Try 10’s maybe?

Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

100 times this, man. The harder you wait, the harder it gets because the avg gold making will never catch up to the inflation.

But 315 ecto? Jesus, man. Did my clovers with 171 ecto. Thats one thing i have been lucky with. Have you been doing 1’s??? Try 10’s maybe?

Mixing it up as much as possible between 10’s and 1’s but now taking a break from it for a while to hopefully get other stuff done.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I tried spent 2 hours trying to get some for a nice exotic sword, got none gave up bought a nice exotic sword off the TP for 2gold.

No way would i be bother wasting my life on that grind..

Posted by: Condas.7056

Condas.7056

The charged lodes for Infinite Light would cost someone 1100g right now, that isn’t the one you are going for is it?

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The charged lodes for Infinite Light would cost someone 1100g right now, that isn’t the one you are going for is it?

That, or Mjolnir. Mjolnir should just be upgraded to legendary status at this point. It costs about as much as your average legendary, only with fewer steps and less RNG.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Ath.2531

Going for bolt. Yes, i know there are people out there who need 250 of these. I can hardly grasp how its even possible to buy them since at times there arent even that many listed on the tp

Piken Square, EU

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

To the poeple who can make 3 gold an hour. How do you make 3g an hour?

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

I can hardly grasp it...

No my friend. It was ANet’s plan all along. Get you in the game, make "promises" and then rip them out from under you. You DO KNOW there is the store where you purchase stuff - right? What? You REALLY DIDN’T THINK this was going to be easy did you? No sub and just buy the game and play for fun??? Are you madd??? This is one of THE largest money sinks I HAVE EVER SEEN and I have been playing MMO’s for a very loooong time. Even the asian ones I play don’t have stupid crap like this...

Mors janua vitæ

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Run fractals over and over and sell everything.

Ath.2531

Negative. Farm Cursed shore over and over and sell everything. Still a grind but at least you don’t have to spend extra time finding a good group.

Piken Square, EU

Posted by: Kacigarka.5176

Kacigarka.5176

I BET with you that after January/February patch you guys are goin to hit the wall with your heads because the prices of precursors and lodestones drop prices like after Karka event.

Just sayin, there will be another round of decrease in price after major update, I am sure about that.

Posted by: Kacigarka.5176

Kacigarka.5176

No my friend. It was ANet’s plan all along. Get you in the game, make “promises” and then rip them out from under you. You DO KNOW there is the store where you purchase stuff – right? What? You REALLY DIDN’T THINK this was going to be easy did you? No sub and just buy the game and play for fun? Are you madd? This is one of THE largest money sinks I HAVE EVER SEEN and I have been playing MMO’s for a very loooong time. Even the asian ones I play don’t have stupid crap like this…

What asian mmos did you play btw ? Have you played Aion for the instance? Where you farmed months for material so you can craft a weapon, then the craft failed and you had to do it over and over again? Or did you play Lineage where did you farm one spot for severals months to drop a recipe, etc? But in those games all you went for were Stats, you get those items and you were more powerful than everyone else.

In GW 2 .. who cares you have Legendary, players in ugly random skin gear can kill you in pvp like a kid or you can perform worse than someone in rare gear in dungeons. You are just angry because its hard to get your skin you dream of ? sad

(edited by Kacigarka.5176)

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

No my friend. It was ANet’s plan all along. Get you in the game, make "promises" and then rip them out from under you. You DO KNOW there is the store where you purchase stuff - right? What? You REALLY DIDN’T THINK this was going to be easy did you? No sub and just buy the game and play for fun??? Are you madd??? This is one of THE largest money sinks I HAVE EVER SEEN and I have been playing MMO’s for a very loooong time. Even the asian ones I play don’t have stupid crap like this...

What asian mmos did you play btw ? Have you played Aion for the instance? Where you farmed months for material so you can craft a weapon, then the craft failed and you had to do it over and over again? Or did you play Lineage where did you farm one spot for severals months to drop a recipe, etc? But in those games all you went for were Stats, you get those items and you were more powerful than everyone else.

In GW 2 .. who cares you have Legendary, players in ugly random skin gear can kill you in pvp like a kid or you can perform worse than someone in rare gear in dungeons. You are just angry because its hard to get your skin you dream of ? sad

I’m not angry at all I couldn’t give a rat’s asset to be quite honest. I’m just making an observation. And OBVIOUSLY if SO MANY PEOPLE are upset about something here, then there must be a modicum of truth in it and should not be brushed under the rug by the fanbois and those who lick ANet’s bottom...

Mors janua vitæ

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

not even need to do that. it is quite possible to farm 3g with doing DEs at Peni/Shelter in Orr but the boredom may kill you! As a thief I have no problem with tagging lots of mobs before others so every wave of mobs gives me 10-12 drops but again. This is F boring!

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: Taerik.3405

Taerik.3405

spark farming in orr does net about 1 lodestone every couple hours, more with MF gear

It is turning into the only real option because of the lack of them on the TP, and they are pushing 4g

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Easier to just farm the gold and buy it from TP.

Which is absolutely terrible design.

Don’t try and bring actual facts into the equation, people are simply being entitled when they try and gather materials for hour and hours with no return.

Sometimes, I swear that’s how fanboys and developers feel.

Just sayin, there will be another round of decrease in price after major update, I am sure about that.

I fully expect to see another round of stimulus providing a short-term dip in the price of precursors, but with nothing actually done to address the underlying dynamics the problem will just return shortly thereafter.

Stimulus doesn’t really work, here or in the real world.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Yea, spend your week, month, or whatever fraction of your life you want running after a “legendary” thingy, while people are throwing hundreds of dollars to buy gold for those lodestones and Arenanet is happy.

I will be playing Minecraft, some Hack & Slash and I’ll level some characters in Guild Wars 2. Becuz it’s fun. Maybe someday I’ll craft a legendary, when it will actually be about playing my game.

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Dear god, do players not realize that if no one farms for the lodestones, that they’ll first become inflated, and then actually become non existent?

Terrible advice is terrible.

Also the blind faith is cute… really, I kinda “dawwww” at it when I see it.
Here’s an FYI, if something NEEDS a stimulus package in the term of events etc, something is NOT WORKING, hello lost shores…. we meet again

Irony…. xD

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

This is the sort of thing that happens when they design MMO’s for everyone. They could just put in extremely difficult challenges in the game which took time to learn, then good planning to complete, and great teamwork to execute, instead we get this. The people who call everyone else whiners when we talk about the repetitive nature of acquiring legendries would be the people who they have to design the grade curve for, so to speak.

Since they need to ensure everyone can “achieve” these they have to dumb it down to something anyone can do, then make it “difficult” by making you pour vast amounts of time into the process, coupled with rng on drops, this is supposed to make the process “hard” by accounts of what some would say but the truth is really anything but hard.

Quite honestly you could have a bot farm for your legendary materials for as “difficult” as the process is but no one will really admit that, they want to feel like they “earned” their legendary. I’m sure I’ll now get replies I just want to be handed a legendary. Honestly I do not, I might be interested in acquiring one if anything about getting one seemed to be a challenge in obtaining and not a dull mind numbing grind fest, unfortunately I doubt they will change anything for the better. I tend to have a pessimistic view about this game as in life, the less I get my hopes up the less I’m let down.

(edited by skotie.2614)

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

This is the sort of thing that happens when they design MMO’s for everyone. They could just put in extremely difficult challenges in the game which took time to learn, then good planning to complete, and great teamwork to execute, instead we get this. The people who call everyone else whiners when we talk about the repetitive nature of acquiring legendries would be the people who they have to design the grade curve for, so to speak.

Since they need to ensure everyone can “achieve” these they have to dumb it down to something anyone can do, then make it “difficult” by making you pour vast amounts of time into the process, coupled with rng on drops, this is supposed to make the process “hard” by accounts of what some would say but the truth is really anything but hard.

Quite honestly you could have a bot farm for your legendary materials for as “difficult” as the process is but no one will really admit that, they want to feel like they “earned” their legendary. I’m sure I’ll now get replies I just want to be handed a legendary. Honestly I do not, I might be interested in acquiring one if anything about getting one seemed to be a challenge in obtaining and not a dull mind numbing grind fest, unfortunately I doubt they will change anything for the better. I tend to have a pessimistic view about this game as in life, the less I get my hopes up the less I’m let down.

Welcome to the club..

It’s not malice anymore, it’s just pure disappointment and a clear lack of communication is forming while the forum grows ever more and more silent to anything of real value and actual valid points are repeated so many times in desperation that it just becomes trolling and spamming to bother repeating them.

It’s actually depressing.

Irony…. xD

Horheristo.3607

Just in case you were wondering about the future drop in price of precursors….

As soon as let’s say another 30 or even 50 dusks make it to the market, they will be instantly bought out.
I believe the traders learned their lesson and know since there isn’t any viable way to get them, they can simply buy them all and resell for 400g+
They know people will pay.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

You do know your farming for a legendary skin right? It was meant to take time or money to get…. and again IT IS A SKIN it doesn’t affect your game at all.

… some people like to complain for the sake of complaining on these forums.

uhm no they will soon have ascended stats….not just skins anymore

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!