AFK Farmers in Silverwastes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

Title says it all. Used to there was one per map, now there are five, sometimes six on every map. I know it’s minimal loot; two sand and three badges, but really? With five in front of Red Bastion and four at the entrance to Labyrinth, it’s going to get to the point that maps are full and can’t reach breach.

This needs to stop. As of last year.

Edit – I’d like to be able to play on the same map as my friends, but an AFK slot is a wasted slot.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Yup. Report as bots and let ANet sort it out. Hopefully they don’t let it get out of control.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

Do you really think they would care about those afkers? Things like this are going on since release. And they havent found an appropiate solution to this.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Do you really think they would care about those afkers? Things like this are going on since release. And they havent found an appropiate solution to this.

There is no automatic solution, it has to be handled case-by-case. Unfortunately this means that enforcement is slow and spotty.

OP could always try shaming, but they usually don’t care.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yeah, do what you can, report and move along, we don’t have the console to remove the player.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Despair.2374

Despair.2374

Before you start hitting that report button, confirm it in chat, no response = report. Come back later and ask again, do not report again, from what I gather anet does work on the reports but checks the chat with time stamp as their log. Anything exploitable like that I send out my reports as botting, but do NOT spam the reports as this can work against you.

To be completely honest OP, I’ve even seen people announce that they will afk in front of red rock… guilds even. Also please note these afkers are more than likely Necro minion masters or rangers, I’d get more into the details but I don’t want to explain more on the subject.

Remember the battle for Lion’s Arch? People, entire zergs would afk at the way point next to the exit to get a free reward. Can’t speak for anet, but a few people were punished for doing that from time to time.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

it’s going to get to the point that maps are full and can’t reach breach.

If you’re willing to put in the effort, it will always be possible to push a breach regardless of how many people there are. I’ve done it entirely solo by rotating through 2 forts at a time, capturing them, defending them once and letting them fail. Since doing this is only worth 1-3% progress, it’ll take around a few hours and is simply a waste of time. What makes it worse is that I have done this a few times in an attempt to solo the bosses and have had zergs show up at the last second.

“Is the zone full?” “Taxi in more people!”

People who say this when it’s almost time for the breach are the real problem. You don’t need a zerg. Breaches are best done with only 3-5 people, assuming of course they’re not bad players. Advertising your instance is just making it easier for abusers.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I don’t think you can report someone for AFKing on a map…There is an AFK timer for that reason. And Having a skill on Auto-Use does not prevent you from being kicked anymore from what I can tell. I have had to AFK many times (though I always port back to the Pact base if I can help it) while farming SW. AFKing is NOT a bannable offense and you are likely to get banned yourself for abusing the report function. You just have to deal. Just stop Resing them. Also, asking someone if they are AFK is not a good way to determine if they are or not they may not speak English, or they may not see the chat or have it turned off.. I often have the Combat log on to avoid chatting.

The long and short of it is you just have to deal with it. People shouldn’t have to worry that going AFK might get them reported/banned. That’s just silly.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Marauding Scum.6728

Marauding Scum.6728

If you’re willing to put in the effort, it will always be possible to push a breach regardless of how many people there are. I’ve done it entirely solo by rotating through 2 forts at a time, capturing them, defending them once and letting them fail. Since doing this is only worth 1-3% progress, it’ll take around a few hours and is simply a waste of time. What makes it worse is that I have done this a few times in an attempt to solo the bosses and have had zergs show up at the last second.

People who say this when it’s almost time for the breach are the real problem. You don’t need a zerg. Breaches are best done with only 3-5 people, assuming of course they’re not bad players. Advertising your instance is just making it easier for abusers.

This a 1.000 times, taxing in pvt kittenters will not improve the breach sucess at all, and most of the “breach hoppers” will just hit the boss enough to get credit and move to another boss so they can get 4 parts.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Kite stuff on them and watch them die.

Too bad they removed the repair costs so it’s not worth ressing them until they’re naked.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

taxing in pvt kittenters will not improve the breach sucess at all, and most of the “breach hoppers” will just hit the boss enough to get credit and move to another boss so they can get 4 parts.

Encouraged by game design, I can’t blame them.

Tom Gore.4035

This a 1.000 times, taxing in pvt kittenters will not improve the breach sucess at all, and most of the “breach hoppers” will just hit the boss enough to get credit and move to another boss so they can get 4 parts.

Breach hopping could have been prevented by just making it so that you’d have to loot the corpse to get the part. Alas…

One – Piken Square

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

doesn’t the game boot you out after being inactive for 20 minutes?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah, but these guys use a botting program to move them around a bit every now and then. One more reason to report them for botting.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Remember the battle for Lion’s Arch? People, entire zergs would afk at the way point next to the exit to get a free reward. Can’t speak for anet, but a few people were punished for doing that from time to time.

“Few” being the key word. I’ve reported several people for abusing class mechanics to damage mobs (and thus qualify for event credit) and using some sort of macro to stay AFK 24/7, but the most I’ve seen done is theoretically a GM booting them, but since they’re back in the matter of hours I’m not sure if it was an actual kick or just a DC.

And here they are, doing the same thing in the Silverwastes again.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

Keep in mind that some people can be AFK for legitimate reasons like a local emergency, bathroom breaks or simply falling asleep while playing.

I often play after work and have fallen asleep many times. I get booted eventually, no big deal. If someone wants to train mobs on me for their amusement, more power to them, my bad for being too sleepy. I deal with it.

There have been many times in past MMOs where I’ve ridden horses into and off cliffs. I’ve been stuck running to the bank at times too and elsewhere. Falling asleep with running toggled on (keybind setting) is like falling asleep while driving with cruise control active.

Fortunately, it hurts less when you hit a wall.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

Reporting people for being afk? You people are hilarious.

[TW] Pumped

Posted by: Marauding Scum.6728

Marauding Scum.6728

taxing in pvt kittenters will not improve the breach sucess at all, and most of the “breach hoppers” will just hit the boss enough to get credit and move to another boss so they can get 4 parts.

Encouraged by game design, I can’t blame them.

I agree, can’t really hate the players for doing it… indeed I even caught myself doing the same when I was kittened trying to get the bladders.

I would rather have the extractor on a shorter duration + a cooldown and instead award everyone one bag of organs for every boss that is beaten during a breach event, this way everyone would “try hard” to get it done properly, I think.

SW in general is heavily favorable to what many would consider “bad behavior” like tag and run, that map could certainly use a little rework on how the rewards are given out.

Posted by: dirtynwah.3851

dirtynwah.3851

I reported a bot after I saw that same person on Blue for two days, not moving from one spot. That bio break took him forever alright

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Anet just needs to up the afk boot timer in Silverwastes….. there have been times where I’ve literally seen someone AFK in the same spot for over 24 hours.

Start prompting inactive players to resume active play immediately after the server is hardcapped.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I don’t get this. Unless you guys are talking in code to avoid infractions.

An Afk player, even one with auto attack enabled, wolnt be able to tag events for loot. Time for an Afk player to get booted is an hour, and people just standing there should not be reported.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Pandaman.4758

Keep in mind that some people can be AFK for legitimate reasons like a local emergency, bathroom breaks or simply falling asleep while playing.

If someone is AFK for more than 20 minutes without being automatically kicked it’s either because of a glitch (happens, but is rare) or they’re running something to stay active; if five or six people are AFK for more than 20 minutes without being automatically kicked it’s pretty much guaranteed they’re all using something to stay active.

I don’t get this. Unless you guys are talking in code to avoid infractions.

An Afk player, even one with auto attack enabled, wolnt be able to tag events for loot. Time for an Afk player to get booted is an hour, and people just standing there should not be reported.

It’s nowhere near an hour, I’ve gone AFK (in a city) to eat lunch and came back to find myself at character select. I don’t take an hour to eat lunch.

And there are certain class mechanics that can be abused that let you get credit for events while being AFK, but we can’t talk about them openly because it’s against forum rules. They’re pretty evident if you do a little theory crafting though.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Reporting people for being afk? You people are hilarious.

You are missing the point. Going afk is normal and fine. It happens to all of us. It’s when you do it for a devious farming purpose like the ones in front of Red Fort. The NPC’s rez them and they get credit for the defense phases with their pets. They upscale the event and make it harder for those defending the fort.

In Dry Top they had to use macros to heal but in SW the NPC’s keep them upright. A couple of them is no biggie but if the afk-botting crowd increases it can become a larger and serious issue.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Breach hopping could have been prevented by just making it so that you’d have to loot the corpse to get the part. Alas…

Not really as they can tag the bosses and then do the loop again to get the bags.

Posted by: thorodenson.2907

thorodenson.2907

ok you guys talking about the “bots” and third party programs need to do a bit more research. they arent using a bot. with the rangers, the pets auto agro when the player gets hit. this counts as an interaction and keeps that player in game. they are making smart use of in game mechanics and are not exploiting anything. literally they are choosing to not do anything. at all. get your facts straight

Ehmry Bay – [Para] – Thorr Is Mighty – Warrior

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

To be completely honest OP, I’ve even seen people announce that they will afk in front of red rock… guilds even. Also please note these afkers are more than likely Necro minion masters or rangers, I’d get more into the details but I don’t want to explain more on the subject.

Arenanet has had plenty of situations over the past 2 years in which to wake up and realize that giving out rewards for failure and attendance are detrimental to gameplay. Yet they refuse to change. It’s as if they want people to collect rewards while AFK, no matter how much damage it does to the game.
My first night, which was just this week, in Silverwastes was a lot of fun, and at one point in the mess I went to the entry waypoint and stood at the vendor while I grabbed dinner really quickly. When I got back, I was shocked to find a reward chest shaking away in the lower right of my screen. I still haven’t figured out what it was from, but I know I’d completed all other events before I went to get food.
Now, I’m not going to turn down free sand, but still, we shouldn’t be getting rewards for just standing around.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: thorodenson.2907

thorodenson.2907

ok you guys talking about the “bots” and third party programs need to do a bit more research. they arent using a bot. with the rangers, the pets auto agro when the player gets hit. this counts as an interaction and keeps that player in game. they are making smart use of in game mechanics and are not exploiting anything. literally they are choosing to not do anything. at all. get your facts straight

I’m not surprised by this guy’s comment, as the majority of the toons I see doing this belong to the guild he is in, PARA.

My guild has nothing to do about it. my point is people need to realize that no rules are being broken and no one is violation EULA or anything like that. ANET put the mechanics into the game, those players are just using them. constantly reporting them as botters doesnt work because they arent botting.

Ehmry Bay – [Para] – Thorr Is Mighty – Warrior

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

I’m not surprised by this guy’s comment, as the majority of the toons I see doing this belong to the guild he is in, PARA.

My guild has nothing to do about it. my point is people need to realize that no rules are being broken and no one is violation EULA or anything like that. ANET put the mechanics into the game, those players are just using them. constantly reporting them as botters doesnt work because they arent botting.

That’s all fine and good, but I doubt very many people care whether you think any rules are being broken. People want to know what ANet thinks of the situation.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Maybe you just suck? If you think one or even five players are causing your breaches to fail, you’re bad, and your entire map is bad.

Reporting people for AFKing is ridiculous. As others have said, there is an auto-kicker to boot from the map. If you think breaches are “impossible” without a zerg of 100 PV- skill-clicking-baddies, you’re a bigger problem that 5 people AFKing for pocket change.

Stop taxing in trash, learn to play with a 5 man group and complete any of the events of breach bosses yourself.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

Shaming is looked down upon much more harshly than afking in a map for a few min. Pretty sure you can be banned from game for shaming.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Shaming is looked down upon much more harshly than afking in a map for a few min. Pretty sure you can be banned from game for shaming.

Just to be clear, we aren’t talking about people who are “afking in a map for a few min.” We are talking about people, as mentioned earlier in the thread, with minions that allow them to circumvent the afk timer. See below for a post from earlier in the thread:

Emphasis added by me.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

There is no automatic solution, it has to be handled case-by-case. Unfortunately this means that enforcement is slow and spotty.

Theoretically agreed. But the problem is you can’t fault someone for being afk. What if they just went afk and happened to be there?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

This sounds familiar. I remember one player in particular who bragged about AFK-earning achievements back in the LA events. You’ll see him around a lot, he’s one of those players who lists his AP leaderboard standing in his signature.

Sadly, unless it gets REALLY bad, ArenaNet won’t devote the resources necessary to fix it. And by REALLY bad, I mean “maps fall apart regularly because there are too many afk farmers.”

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

I guess for now, we can just drag specific mobs to the AFK people. First, drag the enemies that charge and knockback – try to knock them out of the range that the NPCs will rez them, preferably into the poison aura of one of those big plants, so they die again if somebody does rez them. To kill them and their pet fast, drag one of the enemies that have the explosive attacks (I can’t remember the name atm, but they look like smaller versions of the enemies that charge). If they WP and run back, or constantly walk back to the same spot after being charged, they are likely using a bot – definitely report for this.

Pandaman.4758

my point is people need to realize that no rules are being broken and no one is violation EULA or anything like that. ANET put the mechanics into the game, those players are just using them.

ANet has a system in place that kicks people for inactivity. You go AFK for too long, you get kicked, that’s intended behavior.

A class mechanic allows someone to circumvent the autokick. You go AFK too long, you don’t get kicked, that’s categorically not intended behavior. That’s a bug.

You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

Being able go AFK without being kicked for inactivity is a harmless bug in itself, but the unintended benefit is that it allows people to earn rewards without actively playing. People are breaking the rules.

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

Open world map and you guys want to report people for being afk?… this is getting pathetic lol

Reaper – AnguĂ®sh

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

Open world map and you guys want to report people for being afk?… this is getting pathetic lol

not reporting for simply being afk. reporting for abusing a bug – with a pet on aggressive, you’ll get credit for completing events, even if you did nothing. the bug part is that it doesn’t auto-logout because the pet counts as activity.

Shivan.9438

The overall point is that people ARE breaking the rules of the game by doing this. They aren’t playing it as intended even on the most basic of levels, they’re away from the computer and not playing and getting loot. For people who are saying they’re AFK because of legit reasons… sure I can understand, a parent or a loved one is in trouble and they had to rush away, that’s perfectly understandable and the only acceptable reason.

If a person falls asleep at the keyboard while playing the game, it’s obvious that the game is either too boring or they need sleep. In either case, they can log off, they’re one of the reasons why overflow maps existed and one of the reasons why the megaserver was made.

To use a pet to keep in combat while the player is away isn’t a creative use of game mechanics, it’s cheating. Everyone else has to put in effort to play the game and these people don’t. That’s not how the was intended to be played. To defend AFK famers is just as deplorable as doing it themselves and I’m willing to bet the people who defend it are the ones doing it.

Anet needs to do something about this. The easiest solution would be to ban them for not being present at the computer and play it to earn loot like everyone else, or patch the NPC’s to not rez players.

Tom Gore.4035

I can’t see anyone but an AFKer defending AFKers. Shame on you!

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Simple solution is to make only player interactions with the mobs count towards credit, so anything the pet does on it’s own doesn’t count, the player must cause some weapon based damage to count (which eliminates retal damage, etc ).

Or as the map is based on sand, have it slowly sink anyone who stands in the same spot (outside of the first camp with the teleport) so that afking is punished by sinking into the afk’rs maze which then requires player interaction to escape.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

That’s all fine and good, but I doubt very many people care whether you think any rules are being broken. People want to know what ANet thinks of the situation.

The fact that Anet have not answered you here, nor done anything about it should be louder than words, but you don’t want to hear the message.

Whether you like the way they play or not, they aren’t doing anything wrong.

And just for the kitten of it, let’s remember how we got here with the Silverwaste map. People like you didn’t like the farmers going after the Bandit Chests, and people like you complained bitterly because it wasn’t how you wanted this to play.

Back then the chest farmers were at least actively playing the game, now they aren’t. Whose fault is that, really?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Shivan.9438

This is going back on the first page of threads. No necro for this thread. If Anet can comment on bugs involving mini’s they can read a thread about abusing game mechanics.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

they are making smart use of in game mechanics and are not exploiting anything. literally they are choosing to not do anything. at all. get your facts straight

If you want to talk about getting ones “facts straight”. Perhaps you should think about what “exploiting” entails. Seems rather fitting in this case.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I’m always semi-afk.

Should I also report chest train farmers for making me not able to switch map and successfully do events such as defending Forts and Dolyaks?

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

They found several appropriate solutions that is why you don’t see the 30+ bots in cursed shore anymore, as you did in 2012.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I don’t think you can report someone for AFKing on a map…There is an AFK timer for that reason.

The long and short of it is you just have to deal with it. People shouldn’t have to worry that going AFK might get them reported/banned. That’s just silly.

Rangers, there pets auto attack when they’re afk and the player gets credit. You can whisper and message these players to move and they won’t. However, when breach is over they will run over to the champions, kill them, and act like nothing happen. So it is afk botting, using the pet to farm loot while others defend and do events. It isn’t as simple to report someone for afking, it is to report someone for pet botting.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

How does basic and default in-game function for pets to attack hostile enemies is supposed to be treated as botting? xD

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

This is going back on the first page of threads. No necro for this thread. If Anet can comment on bugs involving mini’s they can read a thread about abusing game mechanics.

I have no doubt that Gaile Gray at the very least has read this thread. No comment was made, because no comment is needed. The AFK players are not doing anything wrong.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Aren’t you the person that makes the exact same topic every couple of months whining about people “botting” by being afk?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Botting is using third party software to do an automated process. Afking is nowhere near the same as botting.