AFK bots in winter wonderland

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The real reason why it’s sometimes hard to get into the winter wonderland jumping puzzle: because players are botting the instace to prevent themselves from being kicked for being AFK.

What do I mean? Well so far I’ve seen this 3 separate times. Players will be at the middle platform (snowman path) running at an angle to the right of the right snowman, falling off the edge of the platform over and over again non-stop. If you stand still for a couple minutes you get kicked from the map and sent back to Divinity’s Reach automatically, but moving like this non-stop makes the game think you’re actually doing something. These players are NOT doing the jumping puzzle. The first time I saw this there were 2 charr running the exact same spot off the platform for the entire 30 minute duration of the puzzle.

Today I saw another charr doing this then later an asura. So far they all go the exact same path off the platform right next to that snowman. They are using macros or something I suspect. The thing is they are taking up slots that could be used by players who actually want to complete the jumping puzzle. Perhaps they do it to save their spot in the instance? Or maybe they are alt accounts in the same instance as their main and they’re teamed with the bot so they can easily get back into the instance?

Here is a screenshot showing the player about to fall (UI is off so you can’t see their name) and arrows added to show the direction they are falling.

Attachments:

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Seems more like lag/disconnects while entering/trying to enter and the last command the server gets is that walking forward.

Also, if you want to make a bot, you don’t do it like this. You can just make a macro that jumps all the time. Or at least walks forward and backwards instead of just walking off the ledge all the time, less obvious. At least that would be the thing I’d do.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Charrbeque.8729

Seems more like lag/disconnects while entering/trying to enter and the last command the server gets is that walking forward.

Also, if you want to make a bot, you don’t do it like this. You can just make a macro that jumps all the time. Or at least walks forward and backwards instead of just walking off the ledge all the time, less obvious. At least that would be the thing I’d do.

Lag? It’s possible, except the first time I saw it happen it was 2 charr running together for the entire 30 minutes of the puzzle. Every time I went back to the beginning to start the puzzle over again they were still there doing it. The second and third time I saw this happen the players were running off the same exact platform and same exact path (just on the right side of the right snowman). The third time I saw this I stood there a few minutes to see if they player would stop.

I suppose lag is possible, and/or it’s some sort of weird graphic glitch where they seem to be doing it for me but nobody else sees it. No idea. Everything seems fine on my end so I really can’t tell what’s going on.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

No, I tell you why I think it is. There’s a bug while you try to enter the JP and for a short time the Winter Wonderland loading screen appears, shortly after you see the Divinity’s Reach loading screen. This could be the moment you see some people walking off the ledge. It’s just a guess and I am by no means a professional MMO programmer.

But why would people do this to ‘afk’ anyways? You can enter the JP anytime (besides this but which tells you it is full).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

I’m sorry, Anet can’t hear you over the sound of all the cash they are counting.

Charrbeque.8729

No, I tell you why I think it is. There’s a bug while you try to enter the JP and for a short time the Winter Wonderland loading screen appears, shortly after you see the Divinity’s Reach loading screen. This could be the moment you see some people walking off the ledge. It’s just a guess and I am by no means a professional MMO programmer.

But why would people do this to ‘afk’ anyways? You can enter the JP anytime (besides this but which tells you it is full).

Possible. It could be the moment someone tries to enter the JP and it partially loads them but doesn’t actually remove them from the map right away, even after they get kicked back to DR.

The whole thing is all kinds of messed up. Sometimes it takes me a good 5-10 minutes just to enter and sometimes I can get in on the first or second try.

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

That’s a macro, and I don’t blame the players that do it one bit. It’s sad the community is forced to come up with kittenty practices to bypass a flawed system.

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Three hours and nobody came up with the obvious yet? Sometimes things like these are really hard to believe. Ok, I will clear this one up for you.

First of all, this is not a macro and not a bot. Who would use a bot that does nothing at all for them except run their char off a platform indefinitely? Thats downright stupid. Also, you do not need a macro at all. Just like with the rangers who abuse their heal autocast function to afk farm events (usually the Zyphyrite Kite Event in Dry Top) you only need the regular Guild Wars 2 Autorun function that has been in the game since it started. None of you know it?! Press Numlock and there you go. Your char will run by itself.

Second, it is not a bug, glitch, display problem of whatever. It is simply a solution to not get booted out of the Jumping Puzzle in case you have to leave your PC for a short time. People may not immediately realize this, but many events use the mechanics of PVP maps to function, and in PVP maps you will be automatically kicked out if you stop moving or using a skill for 2 minutes. So what do you do if you just stood in Divinity’s Reach and spent half an hour trying to get into the Jumping Puzzle, and now that you are in, you need to go to the bathroom? Well, you press “Num Lock” and let your char move so that you are not kicked out and have to try another half hour to get back in.

Seriously, this is neither a big deal nor is it against the rules. Autorun is not a macro, those people are not doing this for an extended period of time (the maximum time they could do this is limited to 30 minutes by the system anyway) and also they have no gameplay advantage for running their chars off that platform.

As much as I hate bots, afk leeching exploiters, cheaters and all kinds of people who just play unfairly, this one is really not an issue and would not happen if the entrance to the Jumping Puzzle was not horribly cumbersome.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

I saw one of them who kept running off the platform repeatedly, its score was only 3. I haven’t seen anything conclusive to think it’s a bot. It was talking and saying weird stuff all throughout so much so till I left. They may just be trolls who left autorun on while they went to pee and poo.

gaem not made for mi
===========

Charrbeque.8729

Three hours and nobody came up with the obvious yet? Sometimes things like these are really hard to believe. Ok, I will clear this one up for you.

First of all, this is not a macro and not a bot. Who would use a bot that does nothing at all for them except run their char off a platform indefinitely? Thats downright stupid. Also, you do not need a macro at all. Just like with the rangers who abuse their heal autocast function to afk farm events (usually the Zyphyrite Kite Event in Dry Top) you only need the regular Guild Wars 2 Autorun function that has been in the game since it started. None of you know it?! Press Numlock and there you go. Your char will run by itself.

Second, it is not a bug, glitch, display problem of whatever. It is simply a solution to not get booted out of the Jumping Puzzle in case you have to leave your PC for a short time. People may not immediately realize this, but many events use the mechanics of PVP maps to function, and in PVP maps you will be automatically kicked out if you stop moving or using a skill for 2 minutes. So what do you do if you just stood in Divinity’s Reach and spent half an hour trying to get into the Jumping Puzzle, and now that you are in, you need to go to the bathroom? Well, you press “Num Lock” and let your char move so that you are not kicked out and have to try another half hour to get back in.

Seriously, this is neither a big deal nor is it against the rules. Autorun is not a macro, those people are not doing this for an extended period of time (the maximum time they could do this is limited to 30 minutes by the system anyway) and also they have no gameplay advantage for running their chars off that platform.

As much as I hate bots, afk leeching exploiters, cheaters and all kinds of people who just play unfairly, this one is really not an issue and would not happen if the entrance to the Jumping Puzzle was not horribly cumbersome.

Auto-run, of course! Never thought of that.

Yeah I can understand people having to do this when they need to AFK for a bit because of how hard it is to get into the stinking map.

The problem is, I believe, ArenaNet went on vacation right after the wintersday event started and won’t be back until after new year’s. Which of course means there won’t be time to fix this jumping puzzle until NEXT year.

So for now we just have to put up with this crap.

Personally I always leave the map if I need to go AFK, no matter how short a time I’m away, this way others have a chance to get into the map when I’m not actually doing the puzzle for a few minutes. My belief is if I’m not doing it I have no reason to be in the map. That’s just me though, but I can totally understand the situation better now. It’s such a shame though.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

But what is the benefit of camping that instance? You don’t get reward if u dont complete the puzzle… :S

If they want to camp it, let them… rofl…

as for getting into winter wonderland, i found it incredibly easy, sure one or two times it says full, but i get in instantly.

the one that i’m having trouble getting in is bell choir, somehow it always take me to the one that is already finished… so annoying.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

They camp the instance because the JP is bugged and hard to get into. Yes they are using auto-run, and the angle is the default respawn angle after you reset following completion. These players have completed it, respawned, pressed auto-run and then gone to the bathroom/whatever

As for OP saying he sees them teleport to the end for reward, sounds more like sever lag updating where players really are; if it is genuine then that isn;t a bot, it’s an exploit but given how these things go, if there were an exploit then everyone would be dong this by now.

Charrbeque.8729

They camp the instance because the JP is bugged and hard to get into. Yes they are using auto-run, and the angle is the default respawn angle after you reset following completion. These players have completed it, respawned, pressed auto-run and then gone to the bathroom/whatever

As for OP saying he sees them teleport to the end for reward, sounds more like sever lag updating where players really are; if it is genuine then that isn;t a bot, it’s an exploit but given how these things go, if there were an exploit then everyone would be dong this by now.

I never once said anything about teleporting to the end for the reward. That was the other thread by somebody else https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Bots-invade-Winter-Wonderland-JP

Obviously the ridiculous requirement for 10k drinks and the annoying bug making it hard to get into the JP is driving us crazy and some players are doing certain things just to stay in the puzzle, and apparently cheat at it, just for a friggen shoulder skin. I do want the skin and hope I can get it before the event is over so I don’t have to buy the drinks. But I’m not going to resort to weird tactics/cheats to get it.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Not really relevant to this thread but yes there are scripts that let you bot the JP. They are available all over 3rd party websites. As much as I hate bots and wish they would all get banned, I get the motivation…sigh

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I never once said anything about teleporting to the end for the reward. That was the other thread by somebody else https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Bots-invade-Winter-Wonderland-JP

Sorry, it was that one I was referring to, though it makes me wonder why you started another thread if you knew that one already existed :P

Posted by: Despair.2374

Despair.2374

Obviously the ridiculous requirement for 10k drinks and the annoying bug making it hard to get into the JP is driving us crazy and some players are doing certain things just to stay in the puzzle, and apparently cheat at it, just for a friggen shoulder skin. I do want the skin and hope I can get it before the event is over so I don’t have to buy the drinks. But I’m not going to resort to weird tactics/cheats to get it.

Hey, that’s my thread lol. Anyway, yeah those afkers aren’t cheating they simply just auto run off the ledge and it adds a refresh timer to their “afk before kick” timer. Badly implemented? Yes. Simple fix would be just to force the player to look at the door that leads to the exit of the jumping puzzle upon spawning and auto running to the exit. Problem solved, I know, it’s brilliant.

As for the teleporting bots, it’s true, they’re out there. If you’ve done the JP as long as I have, you will catch it and you will be surprised, I know I was. No it is not a lag/glitch, I’ve had the entire server of 16 or so people see the same thing on three separate occasions now. From what I’ve heard they are called “Position hacks” I don’t know how it’s done or what they do, but they port until the JP is complete and yes they do get crushed by the boulders from time to time, but then immediately respawn and port instantly until it’s finished. Imagine the amounts of presents they rake in, in a bugged server… oh boy.

Charrbeque.8729

Sorry, it was that one I was referring to, though it makes me wonder why you started another thread if you knew that one already existed :P

Because I didn’t see the other thread at first.