AFK'ers in the Silverwastes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

I do silverwastes events and VW a lot. Probably more than I do anything else in game these days.

I do not understand the OP’s gripe at all. I really just don’t. Maybe I’m too typically concerned with making sure there are enough people doing the right things and then doing my own thing properly.

Maybe its not actually half the problem the OP seems to think it is.

I dunno. The worst I ever encounter is straggling guildmates not being able to get on a map when VW’s almost up becauses its full already.

I rarely see VW fail, and when I do, its because there weren’t enough people at all.

How exactly does one ‘go afk and leech’ anyway? If you don’t at least hit a few things or get hit by something, i.e – be present and participating to at least some minimal degree – you don’t get much by way of rewards.

I just dunno about this. I have the sneaking suspicion its bullpucky and the OP has woefully mistaken the cause of a problem that I, for one, just don’t see at all.

It very well be that I am blowing this out of proportion, that being said I seem to encounter this a lot. SO I made a post and opened a discussion. Am I alone in this? Am I being a little birch about it?

From what I’ve gathered so far it isn’t just me, but I’d need some hard numbers that I don’t know how to get to really answer whether or not it’s rampant. If possible I’d like something done, people standing at the event, smack the boss and then do nothing are annoying, and frustrating.

That’s where I’m lost, really. I’m out there a lot and, on one hand, I’m not paying attention to afkers, so I very well could be missing something you’re noticing.

On the other hand, I rarely see vw fail and when it does, the reasons were always too few people in the lanes.

You and sooner others might be right, but it just downy jive with my own experiences so far. Is be interested in knowing if this is actually a problem I’ve somehow failed entirely to take note of.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There’s a difference between being AFK at the pact base by the WP and being AFK at an event while scaling it up. I’m against the latter but not the former. From what I saw in this thread, people were primarily talking about the former.

Both, the people whom are at events and doing nothing but total donkey-holes, the people who are at the camp simply take up a spot I’d rather go to someone who would actively play the map. Does the latter group hurt us directly? No, but with the amount of them that there are it does make an impact on the map, if small.

That majority of this thread has been about players who AFK at the pact camp. Players who AFK within proximity of the events was not brought up until much later. I’ve also stated that those AFK players at the pact camp in no way harm the map.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

A few folks have touched on it already, but I’d say that adjusting the AFK kick timer is not necessary. Rather, the rewards/incentives should be adjusted to drive behavior that doesn’t reward map squatting.

I’m not this type of player so I can’t speak from personal experience, but I’d hazard a guess that many of those AFKers at Camp Resolve are doing so in order to keep an eye on the Foothold progress and then join in on Breach/VW when those events start. That way they don’t have to do the “work” of Foothold, while still getting the rewards of Breach/VW. They AFK because getting into a map about to Breach/VW isn’t always easy. Map hopping with the LFG tool is an option, but it’s probably easier just to “save a spot” on a progressing map and sit back and wait for others to advance the meta.

One option might be to have Breach/VW rewards scale with Perseverance. I’m not sure that’s the best though because then people that join a map late into the meta are at a disadvantage for best rewards through no fault of their own.

If a rewards modification isn’t doable or feasible, then I’d say leave things as-is. AFKers at camp resolve may be annoying when you’re trying to join a map with friends, but it’s not a critical problem. Those AFKers aren’t scaling up the difficulty of events, so active players on the map can still see success and rewards.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Also what happens when THAT person dies, even with scaling 3 tergriffs and charge and perma-stun people dead, it’s happened to me lots. That being said I am a necro with low access to stability.

With less people comes more pressure to not kitten up and we play this game to get away from that kind of pressure from real life, or some of us do.

I’d recommend being a Zerker Necro with Staff and Axe/Wahorn or Dagger/Dagger. With our cripples, blinds, weakness, chills, and fears the Teragriff’s shouldn’t be an issue. Then of course we have Lich form which is full uptime of stability and the DPS output is very high. Also, get people to clear the Hidden Depths way point and use some scorps. They are very powerful with knock backs, stuns, and blinds.

Event scaling is supposed to take into account the actions of players. If a player takes no action toward an event, even if they are present, the event is supposed to remove them from scaling function. Perhaps the Dev’s should look at this to make certain it’s properly working in a timely manner.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I do silverwastes events and VW a lot. Probably more than I do anything else in game these days.

I do not understand the OP’s gripe at all. I really just don’t. Maybe I’m too typically concerned with making sure there are enough people doing the right things and then doing my own thing properly.

I dunno. The worst I ever encounter is straggling guildmates not being able to get on a map when VW’s almost up becauses its full already.

I rarely see VW fail, and when I do, its because there weren’t enough people at all.

How exactly does one ‘go afk and leech’ anyway? If you don’t at least hit a few things or get hit by something, i.e – be present and participating to at least some minimal degree – you don’t get much by way of rewards.

I just dunno about this. I have the sneaking suspicion its bullpucky and the OP has woefully mistaken the cause of a problem that I, for one, just don’t see at all.

I’ve not seen AFkers being a problem, either. I have seen events scale through the roof because a chest farm train ran by. And before people give me the pita work-around, this is usually when the only SW lfg’s are for chest farm.

Posted by: MasterElements.5023

MasterElements.5023

Also what happens when THAT person dies, even with scaling 3 tergriffs and charge and perma-stun people dead, it’s happened to me lots. That being said I am a necro with low access to stability.

With less people comes more pressure to not kitten up and we play this game to get away from that kind of pressure from real life, or some of us do.

I’d recommend being a Zerker Necro with Staff and Axe/Wahorn or Dagger/Dagger. With our cripples, blinds, weakness, chills, and fears the Teragriff’s shouldn’t be an issue. Then of course we have Lich form which is full uptime of stability and the DPS output is very high. Also, get people to clear the Hidden Depths way point and use some scorps. They are very powerful with knock backs, stuns, and blinds.

Event scaling is supposed to take into account the actions of players. If a player takes no action toward an event, even if they are present, the event is supposed to remove them from scaling function. Perhaps the Dev’s should look at this to make certain it’s properly working in a timely manner.

I play as a Terrormancer, so I can handle tergriffs but it’s when one charges me and before I get up, another charges me. I am also in full sinister, and I totally get it I am glass as all H E double hockeystick. That being said I still get got, no one is perfect.

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

I usually don’t really care about AFK-ers because they rarely ruined the breach and VW, but there have been more and more AFK-ers tonight, especially during VW.

From tonight alone, I’ve encountered 3 VW failures due to losing too many siege carriers, which were resulted from too many AFK-ers and the map was full.

Many mobs on the lane with those AFK-ers got scaled up to lvl 82 to 84.
Not many players was protecting the carriers or refilling ammo, and even if there were a few active players trying to protect the carriers and refilling the ammo, they got wiped by so many scaled-up mobs.

Furthermore, there were more and more people going AFK during VW boss fight after they tagged the boss several times.

Shorter time out for AFK-ers would be great.

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’ve not seen AFkers being a problem, either. I have seen events scale through the roof because a chest farm train ran by. And before people give me the pita work-around, this is usually when the only SW lfg’s are for chest farm.

Yeah once again Anet created content that forces players to split their attention in different grounds and one is harming the other.

I think afks are not a big issue, chest farmers are worse because not only they use spots that could be used by defenders, but they also scale events around them, making it impossible for people doing the events to actually finish them.

Obviously that’s not the chest farmer’s fault, I’m not blaming them, I also join some chest farms from time to time (read: when I have a good amount of shovels) it’s Anet’s design flaw. If chest farming yields far far better rewards than doing the events then everyone (except for Anet devs apparently) can see the problem

I hope their full dynamic zones in the expansion don’t promote inter-player conflict

Posted by: MasterElements.5023

MasterElements.5023

If you are on a map that is a chest farm, jump into Spvp and jump out, hopefully you’ll jump maps. I personally don’t like the chest trains either but people do it and it ruins that instance so I simply leave. Or look on the lfg tool for a better instance.