AFK gaming..

AFK gaming..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Onisuo.8607

Onisuo.8607

Just thought I let you know that wandering around different maps and seeing the same player in the same spot doing the same action for more that two weeks makes the game feel cheap. That is something I frequently see in the other games from countries outside the US.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

It is otherwise known as farming. Most games have it but Anet began to hate it when it came to GW2 and since they are oh so busy making a new DLC pack they stopped monitoring it since they only have like 100 people.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Is this thread about botting or farming? Regular players farm, and you can make a valid complaint about how much farming is too much, but that’s very different from botting.

I’m really not sure which this thread is about.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

Is this thread about botting or farming? Regular players farm, and you can make a valid complaint about how much farming is too much, but that’s very different from botting.

I’m really not sure which this thread is about.

I think the op is referring to the minion master necros (and to a lesser extent rangers) who just afk somewhere for hours/days where mobs spawn and let their pets kill them all.

I have a mesmer parked at the not so secret jp chest to get a few quick blade shards every day and almost 75% of the time I’m collecting I see this one same mm necro afking below me farming the aetherblades that spawn on the platform there. I know it doesn’t really affect me at all, but something about it just bugs me.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

AFK farming for extended periods of time is against the user agreement. Just report them.

Anything that automates game play to the point where you are able to not actually play the game as-intended (example: you can walk away from it) is considered a breach of the User Agreement.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Has-there-ever-been-an-official-response-on-what-is-considered-botting/first#post204144

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

AFK gaming..

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Don’t they just get timed out?

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

AFK farming for extended periods of time is against the user agreement. Just report them.

And continue to wave at those “players” as they continue on with their escapades… because how long is extended in the eyes of ArenaNet? I’ve seen the same thing.. and saw the same person at it for weeks.. after reporting.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

AFK gaming..

Ayrilana.1396

Don’t they just get timed out?

Apparently have the heal skill, or any skill that doesn’t require a target, on auto prevents getting timed out.

AFK gaming..

kamedin.4698

I’ve been seeing some rangers camped on a mob spawn letting their pet kill enemies for them, is this considered a form of botting? I know the players are AFK cause they have been there for a couple of hours.

This is allowed behavior; as it was designed to function that way.

This is an older post about afk rangers letting their pets kill stuff while they afk in a spot and the Game Support Lead said it was okay (although I’ve seen this type of discussion about Necro minions and Engi Turrets)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Ranger-Pet-Botting/first

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

(edited by kamedin.4698)

AFK gaming..

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I’ve been seeing some rangers camped on a mob spawn letting their pet kill enemies for them, is this considered a form of botting? I know the players are AFK cause they have been there for a couple of hours.

This is an older post about afk rangers letting their pets kill stuff while they afk in a spot and the Game Support Lead said it was okay (although I’ve seen this type of discussion about Necro minions and Engi Turrets)

Sorry, you’re wrong.

You’re missing the 3rd post down on the 3rd page where he clarified that he was referring to the mechanics and not player behavior.

AFK farming is an exploit, and is against the ToS.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

AFK gaming..

kamedin.4698

Sorry, you’re wrong.

You’re missing the 3rd post down on the 3rd page where he clarified that he was referring to the mechanics and not player behavior. AFK farming is an exploit, and is against the ToS.

~EW

So it seems like they just have to decide who is doing it on purpose and those who just afk in the middle of a map because of something that happened in real life not allowing them log out the second it happened. (Which happens quiet frequently to me at least)

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

AFK gaming..

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

So it seems like they just have to decide who is doing it on purpose and those who just afk in the middle of a map because of something that happened in real life not allowing them log out the second it happened. (Which happens quiet frequently to me at least)

That’s the trick, and it’s likely evaluated on a case-by-case basis. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have the tools to determine how long a player has been standing in a general spot, or if someone DC’d. Length of time afk in a place where mobs regularly spawn is likely very relevant….

and I don’t see them being punishing for brief stints of afk… instead hours/days/weeks of standing in the same spot and not being active are probably what matters.

~EW

AFK gaming..

Ayrilana.1396

Sorry, you’re wrong.

You’re missing the 3rd post down on the 3rd page where he clarified that he was referring to the mechanics and not player behavior. AFK farming is an exploit, and is against the ToS.

~EW

Pretty easy to determine. The timeout is like 50 minutes? If they’re still on the map after that, and have not been actively playing, then chances are something should be done about it. There’s a difference between stepping out because of something in real life and purposely AFKing in a spot for hours on end letting your pets/minions do all of the work.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Sorry, you’re wrong.

~EW

Pretty easy to determine. The timeout is like 50 minutes? If they’re still on the map after that, and have not been actively playing, then chances are something should be done about it. There’s a difference between stepping out because of something in real life and purposely AFKing in a spot for hours on end letting your pets/minions do all of the work.

Aye, this. If they have Auto-Attack assigned to their healing or signet skill, coupled with the strategic positioning of a character, as well as having a minion or pet build, all individually are ok, but when you put them together, it becomes an exploit to stay in the game for more than the time the auto-kick system lets you.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

AFK gaming..

Posted by: LazySummer.2568

LazySummer.2568

Welcome to silverwaste and octovine.

AFK gaming..

Onisuo.8607

If they want to let people afk farm or grind or whatever, fine. But imagine how I am going to feel when here in about three maybe four months when those eight to twelve afkers turn into fourty or even a hundred.

I know it’s their game and their policy, but it’s my experience.Experience they want to sell to me. I don’t know how they can continue to sell me anything in a world soon to be filled afkers autocasting heal with AI killing things for them.

AFK gaming..

Redenaz.8631

If they want to let people afk farm or grind or whatever, fine. But imagine how I am going to feel when here in about three maybe four months when those eight to twelve afkers turn into fourty or even a hundred.

Pets, etc., have been around since the start of the game. Why do you think the game is going to be overrun with them in the next few months, and what do you think has prevented that from happening over the past few years?

Serious question. AFK farmers are irritating, but it’s not like it’s a new problem, so I assume diminishing rewards, disconnects, etc. manage to keep it in check.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I know it’s their game and their policy, but it’s my experience.Experience they want to sell to me. I don’t know how they can continue to sell me anything in a world soon to be filled afkers autocasting heal with AI killing things for them.

None of this will happen, or it would have already happened because the ingredients for this to happen have existed since day 1. This is because AFK farming is not a very good way to farm.

AFK gaming..

LazySummer.2568

None of this will happen, or it would have already happened because the ingredients for this to happen have existed since day 1. This is because AFK farming is not a very good way to farm.

I dont know what you’re trying to say, but touching the boss once or just letting your pets auto touch the boss and then go afk and letting everyone else do the hard work seems like easy gold to me. Even better if i just do it on like 5 different accounts

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

You guys can complain all you want, but on the support forums, someone was suspended for doing the same action. Having their heal on auto cast.

You do realize that the number of reports they get, it does take a bit to get through them. Especially when people troll report for various things. So report those you feel really are afk farming.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

I am going to repost this, because looks it’s needed:
Look the OP’s question there, and the official response 2-3 posts after. One more official response at the page 3 too.
Surely people can report, but there is.

AFK gaming..

Obtena.7952

I dont know what you’re trying to say, but touching the boss once or just letting your pets auto touch the boss and then go afk and letting everyone else do the hard work seems like easy gold to me. Even better if i just do it on like 5 different accounts

Clearly you don’t, because that’s not AFK farming like the OP is talking about.

AFK gaming..

Onisuo.8607

Pets, etc., have been around since the start of the game. Why do you think the game is going to be overrun with them in the next few months, and what do you think has prevented that from happening over the past few years?

Serious question. AFK farmers are irritating, but it’s not like it’s a new problem, so I assume diminishing rewards, disconnects, etc. manage to keep it in check.

The autoloot mastery is what is making this possible without some form of macroing.

AFK gaming..

LazySummer.2568

Are you trying to say that people would care about or even bother doing the type of afk I think you’re trying to refer to? The type where someone just make a pet class and afk at some random location that will spawn a mob easy enough for the pet to kill every 10 min just so the afker can slowly get his exp to max level and maybe get some blues after 5 years? And these afks should be banned but not the ones that’s actually leeching off events that other active players do for them?

(edited by LazySummer.2568)

AFK gaming..

Ayrilana.1396

Are you trying to say that people would care about or even bother doing the type of afk I think you’re trying to refer to? The type where someone just make a pet class and afk at some random location that will spawn a mob easy enough for the pet to kill every 5 min just so the afker can slowly get his exp to max level and maybe get some blues after 5 years? And these afks should be banned but not the ones that’s actually leeching off events that other active players do for them?

They do it for the loot bags which contain crafting materials worth several silver.

AFK gaming..

Redenaz.8631

Why do you think the game is going to be overrun with them in the next few months, and what do you think has prevented that from happening over the past few years?

The autoloot mastery is what is making this possible without some form of macroing.

True, I can’t argue with that. Hopefully diminishing returns and other systems do enough to mitigate it, but auto-look is definitely a game-changer for AFK farming. I seem to remember that being an explanation for why it’s so deep in the mastery track, rather than just being a game option that can be turned on.

AFK gaming..

Obtena.7952

Are you trying to say that people would care about or even bother doing the type of afk I think you’re trying to refer to? The type where someone just make a pet class and afk at some random location that will spawn a mob easy enough for the pet to kill every 10 min just so the afker can slowly get his exp to max level and maybe get some blues after 5 years? And these afks should be banned but not the ones that’s actually leeching off events that other active players do for them?

Yes, that is the topic of the original poster’s thread. That is what everyone is talking about here.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

My turrets explode after a while. Great Charr blueprints, eh? I took a bunch of screenshot and when I came back they simply fell apart after a couple of minutes, so at least the turret AFKing got fixed.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Aldrin.7641

Aldrin.7641

I was roaming around the map when I saw a group of Necros (I think they all were), who were just sitting around. They keep repeating the same skills over and over and all they usually just do is that. Their pets do most of the killing.

Is this legal in Guild Wars 2?

Check out the video in the link
Botting? Macro-ing? What?!

Druid, Tempest, Revenant, Necromancer, Engineer

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Nansen.4631

Nansen.4631

Quite a lot of threads are made around this afk farming and it if its allowed or not. The respond hasnt really been clear about how much of it is allowed or in what forms it isnt allowed anymore. Report and move on is what I just do for now.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I saw someone in Queensdale running forward against a wall for about 5 minutes until I left. Either someone lost their mind or a bot got derailed. :P

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I saw someone in Queensdale running forward against a wall for about 5 minutes until I left. Either someone lost their mind or a bot got derailed. :P

I’ve hit autorun and had a phone call and came back to myself running against a wall. Easy enough to do if you have to get up suddenly.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I’ve hit autorun and had a phone call and came back to myself running against a wall. Easy enough to do if you have to get up suddenly.

In my head I just imagined a person who had finally cracked and decided that running against a wall is the way of things, afk’ing suddenly is rather boring but probably the truth.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

If you aren’t sure, report them (for botting).

Let the moderators work out if they’ll allow it or not.

If it really bothers you, you can send a ticket in with screenshots/observations (if you don’t think that your in-game report will make much sense).

If you have a valid reason for reporting, you won’t get into trouble. You will get in trouble if you spam report people for no reason, apart from that you don’t like them or something. :P

AFK gaming..

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

If you aren’t sure, report them (for botting).

Let the moderators work out if they’ll allow it or not.

If it really bothers you, you can send a ticket in with screenshots/observations (if you don’t think that your in-game report will make much sense).

If you have a valid reason for reporting, you won’t get into trouble. You will get in trouble if you spam report people for no reason, apart from that you don’t like them or something. :P

Alternatively, just ignore them and get on with playing your game.

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Quite a lot of threads are made around this afk farming and it if its allowed or not. The respond hasnt really been clear about how much of it is allowed or in what forms it isnt allowed anymore.

The response has been absolutely clear: AFK farming is not okay. (What the dev said was it’s an intended part of the mechanics for some profs that it’s possible; they explicitly said it was not.)

Report and move on is what I just do for now.

Absolutely. As players, we don’t have to find absolute proof that a player is violating the rules, whether in a minor way or one that impacts the rest of us. Report and move on — ANet will act or not (and when they do, it is isn’t always immediately, so it’s generally hard to tell).

tl;dr report behavior that you suspect; let ANet deal with it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Titanium Pig.1462

Titanium Pig.1462

Were you doing it and are worried about possible repercussions ? Was this action somehow impacting your experience in the game? If not ignore it or report it; and move on.

Here there be dragons!

AFK gaming..

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

In short, if they are doing this manually (actually pressing buttons etc) they are not breaking any rules, if they use bots or macros they would be cheating, but there is no way for us to tell.