AFK on the field

AFK on the field

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elcoyote solitaire.9052

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

Can you actually get a ban from being AFK on the field? Like an AFK farming?

AFK on the field

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You might want to be more specific. What field?

AFK on the field

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

any field…i mean not in town…somewhere where mobs spawn more likely.

AFK on the field

RoseofGilead.8907

Sometimes people just have to step away from the computer. If they’re not trying to afk farm (which is against the rules), they’re not doing anything wrong. If you’re leaving yourself there to farm mobs while you’re not at the computer for an extended amount of time, you’re breaking the rules.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

AFK on the field

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If it can be shown that the person is using a macro to keep pets up and stop disconnecting then yes in theory you could be banned. If you do not prevent log out and allow pets to die and not auto fix if you are offline then not a problem from what I have read.

AFK on the field

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

ok…well the pets are pretty strong and don’t die…1 of my account disconnect after like 1h but the other one doesn’t disconnect or rarely…the fact is i don’t use any macro or program or whatever that could allow me an advantage…my fear is that i could get that second account ban for that reason. Should i stop going afk with it or i could defend myself when a ban comes out?

AFK on the field

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s something that can be “banned” with how the game mechanics work at the moment.

It’s something they’ve been doing since the dawn of MMOs and… it’s just a pestilence that we players actually put in the work have to put up with in-game. Usually how I deal with it is, in MY squads, when I catch an AFKer, they get kicked, period. I’m not above carrying people, but… I only carry other people who deserve TO BE carried.

I’m disabled irl, I don’t man the keyboard as well as most who play do, I’m a bit slower, so… people who have like-problems, I’ll immediately offer to carry them but, afkers? forget it.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

AFK on the field

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

No idea it will be between you and customer service to work out.

AFK on the field

RoseofGilead.8907

ok…well the pets are pretty strong and don’t die…1 of my account disconnect after like 1h but the other one doesn’t disconnect or rarely…the fact is i don’t use any macro or program or whatever that could allow me an advantage…my fear is that i could get that second account ban for that reason. Should i stop going afk with it or i could defend myself when a ban comes out?

If you’re legit not trying to afk farm and are not using a macro, then you should be fine. If you do somehow get a suspension, you can contest it and will probably get the suspension removed.

AFK on the field

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

If you’re legit not trying to afk farm and are not using a macro, then you should be fine. If you do somehow get a suspension, you can contest it and will probably get the suspension removed.

I have to confess it’s a bit of a farming since i get a bit of mats and exp but i definitly don’t use any macro or program to do it. I just want to be sure it’s “tolerated” to do so. Thanks everyone for your answers.

AFK on the field

RoseofGilead.8907

I have to confess it’s a bit of a farming since i get a bit of mats and exp but i definitly don’t use any macro or program to do it. I just want to be sure it’s “tolerated” to do so. Thanks everyone for your answers.

Yeah, it is against the rules to farm while afk for an extended period of time. People do get suspensions for doing what you’re doing.

AFK on the field

Elcoyote solitaire.9052

Yeah, it is against the rules to farm while afk for an extended period of time. People do get suspensions for doing what you’re doing.

Even with the auto afk kick from the server?

AFK on the field

RoseofGilead.8907

Even with the auto afk kick from the server?

Yes, you can still get a suspension if you’re caught doing it.

AFK on the field

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I thought the Devs said on Reddit that Rangers and Necros are free to afk while their minions kill stuff as long as they don’t have a macro running to resummon them if they die?

AFK on the field

RoseofGilead.8907

I thought the Devs said on Reddit that Rangers and Necros are free to afk while their minions kill stuff as long as they don’t have a macro running to resummon them if they die?

They’re free to afk, but they’re not free to afk farm for an extended amount of time. This was Chris Cleary’s post about it from before the change to the auto-loot feature (it was preventing the afk timer from working correctly for a while):

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-a-clear-statement-re-AFK-farming/page/6#post6161450

“1) Using skill (1 or more) while AFK
2) AFKing in a place where it is beneficial for your character to be at
3) Unresponsive to interaction with GMs

If all 3 of these apply to what you are doing, you may get actioned for it"

We don’t see the afk farming nearly as much since they fixed the auto-loot bug, but those rules do still apply, it seems.

AFK on the field

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

No they didn’t quite say that, they said getting loot is ok if the player didn’t do any actions whilst a pet killed a mob. They didn’t say it’s ok to not be at the keyboard for that to happen. A few minutes to go pee pee is ok, but if it’s blatantly AFK farming they ban.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

AFK on the field

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Regardless of the answer you get and what you decide to do, remember that ‘your’ account is property of Anet, so if they decide to revoke your privilege to use that account, they can. Don’t give them a reason to do that.

AFK on the field

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

No they didn’t quite say that, they said getting loot is ok if the player didn’t do any actions whilst a pet killed a mob. They didn’t say it’s ok to not be at the keyboard for that to happen. A few minutes to go pee pee is ok, but if it’s blatantly AFK farming they ban.

Oh ok, I like this way better anyway. I know I have gone “AFK” on my necro before when I alt tab out to check something on the wiki or get some food, but I only ever take out minions when I do that to pull aggro so I don’t come back to a dead character.