AMD ryzen

AMD ryzen

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sonido.6321

Sonido.6321

Will the game see an update for ryzen CPUs? I think is possible. Changing DX9 has been a challenge for the team of developers available maybe giving ryzen support would be hard as well but would be welcome

AMD ryzen

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

to be very bluntly honest nope i do not see that ever happen with this game or company at all . but if it did it be most welcomed the sad thing is world of warcraft is already set for both DX11 in use and as well as ryzen support i do fully belive is in the works too as well if not already done with there next patch on the 28th of this month . which makes it more sadder yet that world of warcraft which is much more older than guild wars2 or the first guild wars even . already has this stuff set and in place . i also think everquest has done the same as wow. but not fully sure on them as i am on wow

no new system upgrades coming

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Yeah I would not get my hopes up honestly. Not supporting DX11 is a sing of not much improvement will come soon. But yeah they’ll be welcomed. Wow is way ahead of this game in performance and updates. But also that might be because people doesn’t seem to care about paying monthly fees while Gw2. But still sad.

AMD ryzen

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

i fully agree with you on this . and i will say if anet did all this and more i would play this game even more. but sadly to say honestly with this game so far behind the 8 ball and tech . ahh i find myself playing wow more and more. but also will say in ryzen case it been nice they had made a 4.5 version with overclocking to 5.0 . as it is right now am not going to upgrade my amd fx 8350 4.0 that i can over clock to 4.2 just yet at least .

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Yeah but as you said I doubt much improvement can be made to the game. I changed my i5 6600k For the 1700. Waiting a couple bios updates for ram etc I am sure it can be a good cpu

AMD ryzen

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

how to say this properly . its not the (they can not do it ) its just more of the lines they will not do it at all . like they want to see the game dieing , think we all know this for fact by now . ankitten ot much for intell giving their prices . this is why i went the amd fx 8350 4.0 and used a cooler master hype 212 with dual fans .

AMD ryzen

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

The biggest drawback to Ryzen right now is the Windows Scheduling conflicts with SMT. I have seen users posting videos out where they are keeping 15+ FPS in world events like Teq and Claw without issue.

The second drawback is the lack of support AMD gave MB Manufacturers when it comes to hardware compatibility (ie: RAM Speed limitations and other faults that lie with the BIOS intergration).

Once these are addressed, I believe the Ryzen with be a viable option for GW2.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

AMD ryzen

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

The biggest drawback to Ryzen right now is the Windows Scheduling conflicts with SMT. I have seen users posting videos out where they are keeping 15+ FPS in world events like Teq and Claw without issue.

The second drawback is the lack of support AMD gave MB Manufacturers when it comes to hardware compatibility (ie: RAM Speed limitations and other faults that lie with the BIOS intergration).

not really at all giving 2 things first the game its self will never support it fully and only 15 fps during teq is not much at all .

and secondly and far more important ryzen can only go to Max Turbo Frequency 4.00 GHz

topps !! hell my amd fx 8350 4.0 over clocked to 4.3 if i want to can still beat it . and get

120 fps to boot !!! it is just fact this game will never support high end cpu or graphics cards ever . and stay stuck on DX9 for ever till the game is dead , it just does not take a
rocket maker to understand that .

AMD ryzen

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

not really at all giving 2 things first the game its self will never support it fully and only 15 fps during teq is not much at all .

and secondly and far more important ryzen can only go to Max Turbo Frequency 4.00 GHz

topps !! hell my amd fx 8350 4.0 over clocked to 4.3 if i want to can still beat it . and get

120 fps to boot !!! it is just fact this game will never support high end cpu or graphics cards ever . and stay stuck on DX9 for ever till the game is dead , it just does not take a
rocket maker to understand that .

That’s the old Gigahertz Myth. That’s judging performance of a car engine by which one revs the highest. Clock speed is only half the equation, instructions per cycle is the second half. Ryzen’s IPS is more than 50% faster than the FX Bulldozer architecture. Heck the Phenom II had a higher IPS than the FX series.

A 4GHz 8 core FX-8370 had a multicore Cinebench score of 644.5. A Ryzen 1700 OC to 4GHz with SMT off, so only the 8 cores, scored 1252.5.

Nope. I’ve now satisfied with the tests I’ve seen that AMD wasn’t spinning when they said they were happy with the Win 10 scheduler, it appears to be working properly. The logical processors are enumerated correctly, evens are physical, odds are logical, 0-7 is one CCX and 8-15 is the other. Threads are assigned to physical cores first, within a single CCX first then the other, and only when all physical cores are busy will addition threads be assigned to already busy physical cores. Under light loads threads stay within a single CCX.

Now there is an issue with OS power management controlling speed/power states, the Ryzen can do this better on it’s own which is why they say set the power profile to performance vs balance. There is some tweaks for that coming from Microsoft.

I think the issue isn’t the scheduler but issues with certain apps instruction+data mixes, SMT and the split nature of the L3 cache on Ryzen that’s causing a bottleneck. Don’t forget, this is AMD’s first SMT CPU, Intel has been doing this since the very first Core i3 (well Pentium 4/D but that was an entirely different CPU architecture) and has had years to refine the implementation.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Well I have my videos on YouTube comparing it to my old 6600k and it goes down to 10FPS with a 980Ti in some bosses I mean ram is an issue right now and CPU not optimized well but the game doesn’t help I guess we’ll see the game die without a proper burial

AMD ryzen

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

gw2 is single core performance dependent while ryzen excel in multi core.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Probably half core dependent. Jk. But seriously how hard can it be for them to add support for it. But as mentioned I think it won’t be added

AMD ryzen

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Probably half core dependent. Jk. But seriously how hard can it be for them to add support for it. But as mentioned I think it won’t be added

Refactoring code to take advantage of multithreading when it is originally written for a single core is not a trivial task by any means.

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Refactoring code to take advantage of multithreading when it is originally written for a single core is not a trivial task by any means.

Maybe if more prayers demand performance fix etc they’ll listen maybe a request with many sings but if everyone stays satisfied with the performance as it is they’ll see no need or pleasure to upgrade

AMD ryzen

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

gw2 is single core performance dependent while ryzen excel in multi core.

It’s not written for a single core. The game uses multiple threads and three threads use a fair share of cycles each. Performance is limited by the thread that takes most of the cycles. A thread’s maximum performance is limited by a core’s performance. That’s why a core performance is the limiting factor.

Every app is limited by it’s slowest thread.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

AMD ryzen

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I feel like this understates the issue: this is probably the single hardest, and most risk prone, change you can make to code. Every place it will cause bugs is invisible, and also, super-hard to reason about effectively. All the problems are “implicit” assumptions, not explicit ones.

Which is kind of depressing, since I’d like better performance too, but … it’s the hard reality of this: it would be extremely costly, and relatively speaking, bring not that much to the table.

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

It might be costly or hard but one thing is clear people like to play a game that is always receiving support specially to test their new toys if they could make a change little by little it will be positive.

AMD ryzen

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

It might be costly or hard but one thing is clear people like to play a game that is always receiving support specially to test their new toys if they could make a change little by little it will be positive.

I don’t work at Anet, so I can’t speak specifically to how their code framework is set up, but generally speaking this isn’t the sort of thing you can just do little by little. It would very likely take a complete overhaul that would mean until it is done they would be unable to provide any other new content.

AMD ryzen

Sonido.6321

Would like to hear from anyone on their team if they’re planning something for the game in a future patch if so hopefully not too far