ANET. Make outfits separated then I'll buy.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Drymeat.2861

Drymeat.2861

Seriously, I don’t want to buy any of outfits. It’s because They’re fully set to one piece. It takes me from my creativity to select piece by piece. Players like to have their creativity on their characters. but outfits are extremely limited to it.

There’s high possibility that players can show their creativity with exclusive outfit parts. For example, Only fancy winter outfit has beret in the game.

You don’t need to make an outfit to all six pieces seperated. at least, I want to take a chance to have hat, gloves, boots of an outfit as my general appearance. Like Marjory Armor’s boots with medium armor. People will be happy if they can have more parts to make up from outfits. but having 6 pieces of a outfit will be nice.

If you make so, I’m willing to buy outfits.

(edited by Drymeat.2861)

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

They won’t, so don’t.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The entire value to ANet of outfits is that they are something like 9-10 times cheaper/quicker to produce than armor sets. Offering any part of them as a “separate” defeats that.

That’s why Ariurotl says, “they won’t” and why the advice is good: don’t buy the outfits.

I’d love to see more pieces too, since I don’t like about 90% of ANet’s designs. I accept, however, that it’s not going to happen.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I always wondered about the Outfit vs Armor set production. If the problem is clipping then Chest and Legs are the only thing that needs to be combined and besides that some outfits allow you to disable their head part for example.

A good compromise would be to allow players to hide gloves, helmets, shoulders and boots of outfits and when you do your regular armor skin would appear. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable or something that would cause clipping issues since the vast majority of the clipping issues are between chest and legs.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If this requires ANet to remake all the old outfits and the hero panel so that parts of outfits can be toggled off/on then it’s a faint hope.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

A good compromise would be to allow players to hide gloves, helmets, shoulders and boots of outfits and when you do your regular armor skin would appear. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable or something that would cause clipping issues since the vast majority of the clipping issues are between chest and legs.

And who’s going to go in to design and program all those new seams? Would they cut the outfit so that it makes room for heavy armour, medium armour, or light armour pieces? What happens when an outfit’s design can’t be cut to accommodate all of the armour types? Which version of glove armour would you draw: the version that shows just the wrist and below or the version that draws to the upper arm? How would you handle head armours which overwrite shoulder armours? Who will program the outfit overlay to communicate these decisions to the thirty different armour overlays?

Outfits don’t need to accommodate other pieces, and I’m sure there are more issues out there which also lead to why outfits are far easier to produce than armours.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Outfits don’t need to accommodate other pieces, and I’m sure there are more issues out there which also lead to why outfits are far easier to produce than armours.

They are far easier to produce than armors that’s true. But giving players more options wouldn’t hurt would it? Although the first step towards making outfits better would be allowing us to hide the shoulders. I’d buy way more outfits if I could hide their horrible shoulders. Second step would be allowing the armor helmet to show up when you hide the outfit helmet.

I’d settle for these two, better than nothing. Even just hiding the Shoulders would help a lot.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

They are far easier to produce than armors that’s true. But giving players more options wouldn’t hurt would it? Although the first step towards making outfits better would be allowing us to hide the shoulders. I’d buy way more outfits if I could hide their horrible shoulders. Second step would be allowing the armor helmet to show up when you hide the outfit helmet.

I’d settle for these two, better than nothing. Even just hiding the Shoulders would help a lot.

Given your question I think you missed the entirety of my post, but yes, yes it would hurt. Development time is precious. Development money is precious.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or they could stop making those strange, floating, outsized shoulders.

(why do they make those things anyway? Are there people out there clammoring for outfits with outsized, floating shoulder pads?)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Or they could stop making those strange, floating, outsized shoulders.

(why do they make those things anyway? Are there people out there clammoring for outfits with outsized, floating shoulder pads?)

There are all sorts of interesting patterns in the design choices, like too much fan service in female armor and not enough for males, like spiky and skull-y ornamentation, like odd dye channels.

I’d love to see ANet bring back the design contests, not because I think player designers are better (or that they’d save ANet any time or money — they probably cost more to implement, not less). I want to see more diversity and I’m hoping that player artwork would inspire ANet to make different choices in the future.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

There’s a reason why other games designate a bunch of standard sizes for their meshes and the produce variants within those limits. So, for example, your game could have short, medium and long gloves and chest armor can be designed with those known glove lengths in mind.

ArenaNet decided not to design standard meshes and instead gave their artists free reign which sounds fantastic but we end up in a situation like now where clipping is a real issue so a lot of pieces just don’t work together and we have an entire expansion that introduced 3 new sets of light armour, 3 sets of medium and 4 sets of heavy armour.

(Not to mention the fact that you go bald when you put on most head gear).

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

mucch prefer gw1 outfits to gw2’s…At least with gw1 you can mix’n’match head pieces and the rest of the suit. Which was nice for the seasons lol.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

You know what would make outfits much faster? Nott making completely separate designs for males or females. Each version could be sold separately, Simple as that. Takes literally half the time, and gives both genders more choices right away. I’m sick of designs varying so kitten much. Guys get Refrigerator armor, and girls get a sexy bikini armor. It’s ridiculous. If they want to keep things fast and simple, dying do twice the job. The are lots of people who would prefer to wear the other gender version anyway.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

You buy an outfit and can switch to it anytime with the only option is to hide head and I think shoulders. Cons to that is what people have stated here is you cannot be creative and select part of the outfit and then something else. Outfits can be used on any armor type of profession.

As an armor set they are generally more in terms of Gems to buy and used once. Want to use again you need to use a transmutation charge. This could raise income. OH and armor sets are specific to armor type of toon. Again money in the bank if you want for all armor types, especially the collectors.

So…yes why is that ANET? Seems to me losing money but then again not your accountant. :P

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I’ve suggested selling them in both forms, an outfit, and armor skins to be mixed and matched. People want more skins, and these models are already in the game. It would be simple enough, but I doubt they would ever do it, though I don’t know why. I don’t see a lot of people running around at 80 in outfits outside of the new ones in the market.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’ve suggested selling them in both forms, an outfit, and armor skins to be mixed and matched. People want more skins, and these models are already in the game. It would be simple enough, but I doubt they would ever do it, though I don’t know why. I don’t see a lot of people running around at 80 in outfits outside of the new ones in the market.

It wouldn’t be “simple enough”. It would be a nightmare. The current armor sets in the game are designed to be mix-and-matched with pieces from different armor sets without having too much clipping or seam issues. This is why armor sets for a certain class (medium, heavy, light) tend to be similar. All medium legs are designed to be mix and matched with trenchcoats, but if you wear something like a heavy or light armor skirt/kilt with a trenchcoat the skirt will go right through the trenchcoat and it will look horrible. This is also why the “wear any armor weight on any class” suggestions are very unlikely to happen.

If they made outfits pieces you guys would be complaining that you got yet another trenchcoat for medium, yet another ballerina tu-tu nonsense for light, and some chain mail “skirt” for heavy, because there’s only certain armor designs that are meant to go with each armor weight, unless they start doing it like old MMOs where the armor is just a texture on top of your body, and I’m sure you’ll agree that it wouldn’t be cool.

Making outfits not mixed-and-matchable allows the devs to break these restrictions about what goes with that and give you looks unlike anything you’ve seen for your armor weight. So I hope they never cut outfits in pieces. The real problem with outfits is that they’re sold exclusively in the store, and for a MMO that is supposed to reward with cosmetic, this is the last place I want to get my outfits.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Anet’s unwilling to put forth the effort. They USED to make outfits with separate parts but they got lazy and went for the present mode.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

Anet’s unwilling to put forth the effort. They USED to make outfits with separate parts but they got lazy and went for the present mode.

would you be willing to pay what you do for an outfit now just to get one piece of armour?

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

would you be willing to pay what you do for an outfit now just to get one piece of armour?

To be honest, I much preferred the armor skin sets. At this point I’d be willing to pay a lot more for the sets (as they were previously sold) than the outfits I refuse to buy most of the time now.

Mix and match is the way to go. Let people have control over their own fashion. There’s only so much you can do on an outfit with dyes. I’ve been in these discussions numerous times in-game and there are tons of people that want the armor sets again.

+1 OP. I’m happy this topic is being revisited.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They USED to make outfits with separate parts but they got lazy and went for the present mode.

Not in GW2.

Anet’s unwilling to put forth the effort.

Or they are making the difficult business decision that they can’t do everything and that other things are more important.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They haven’t made outfits with seperate parts since they axed the town clothes system years ago (and even then they weren’t full sets and worked kinda weird compared to armor).

Posted by: Drymeat.2861

Drymeat.2861

It wouldn’t be “simple enough”. It would be a nightmare. The current armor sets in the game are designed to be mix-and-matched with pieces from different armor sets without having too much clipping or seam issues. This is why armor sets for a certain class (medium, heavy, light) tend to be similar. All medium legs are designed to be mix and matched with trenchcoats, but if you wear something like a heavy or light armor skirt/kilt with a trenchcoat the skirt will go right through the trenchcoat and it will look horrible. This is also why the “wear any armor weight on any class” suggestions are very unlikely to happen.

If they made outfits pieces you guys would be complaining that you got yet another trenchcoat for medium, yet another ballerina tu-tu nonsense for light, and some chain mail “skirt” for heavy, because there’s only certain armor designs that are meant to go with each armor weight, unless they start doing it like old MMOs where the armor is just a texture on top of your body, and I’m sure you’ll agree that it wouldn’t be cool.

Making outfits not mixed-and-matchable allows the devs to break these restrictions about what goes with that and give you looks unlike anything you’ve seen for your armor weight. So I hope they never cut outfits in pieces. The real problem with outfits is that they’re sold exclusively in the store, and for a MMO that is supposed to reward with cosmetic, this is the last place I want to get my outfits.

actually, people will not try strange mixture, and people can already make strange mixture with parts they have.(try some parts at wardrobe then you can find some are strange.) some armors are not adaptable themselves. I believe that’s not the part devs should worry about. unless people like to troll(like weirdly dyed armor), they will try as possible as the armor looked as normal, not strange.

but if devs really needs that restriction, I can say there’s a good thing already. It’s “Dry Bone Hood.” that part is noted as “This head gear will hide all other shoulder art.” and it does so, It’s because that one is really so big to shoulder. then we can use this function properly. that means we can use outfits as general appearance. I made example below.

Ancestral Outfit(chest piece): this armor is combined with boots, shoulder and leg parts, resulting to hide all other boots, shoulder and leg art.(you can combine this with gloves and head)

Braham’s wolfblood outfit(chest piece): this armor is combined with leg part, resulting to hide all other leg art.(you can combine this with gloves, boots, shoulder, head.)

If you’re willing to use Ancestral outfit at chest piece, It’ll overwrite your leg, boots, shoulder arts. but you can still use head and gloves. this way will work.

(edited by Drymeat.2861)

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

To clarify my point a little. Armor would be armor type specific and then the other would be one that any armor type could use but only one style that they would have to choose. Pirate outfit for example looks the same no matter the race or armor type. They could make armor class pirate suits if they wanted. I know it takes time to make but in the long run maybe make more cash? Maybe they haven’t because their studies show the balance of income to time put in isn’t profitable. So in essence no you wouldn’t be able to mesh a leather coat with heavy pants. That really would look weird anyway

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Again from the top.

The gem shop is the primary source of income for game development 4+ years in as new account key sales drop off rapidly over time after launch. Changes done to the cash shop must be done with minimal costs so sales quickly go toward paying development. This is why we see

• Bundles
  • Sales
  • Items being removed and returning for a limited time

because all of those things cost virtually nothing yet drive additional sales.

As for new items, development cost must either be at a minimum or the price must be large. It’s been stated repeatedly that at 800 gems, the break even point for armor is too high relative to 700 gem outfits.

Now since the moratorium on new armor in the gem shop, ANet has chosen to keep supporting Fashion Wars with outfits rather than have nothing new at all OR 2000+ gem armor sets. Essentially just like the “Legendary Journeys” for new precursors, a constant flow of new armor sets simply became unsustainable as a source of income.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Again from the top.

The gem shop is the primary source of income for game development 4+ years in as new account key sales drop off rapidly over time after launch. Changes done to the cash shop must be done with minimal costs so sales quickly go toward paying development. This is why we see

• Bundles
  • Sales
  • Items being removed and returning for a limited time

because all of those things cost virtually nothing yet drive additional sales.

As for new items, development cost must either be at a minimum or the price must be large. It’s been stated repeatedly that at 800 gems, the break even point for armor is too high relative to 700 gem outfits.

Now since the moratorium on new armor in the gem shop, ANet has chosen to keep supporting Fashion Wars with outfits rather than have nothing new at all OR 2000+ gem armor sets. Essentially just like the “Legendary Journeys” for new precursors, a constant flow of new armor sets simply became unsustainable as a source of income.

That and people complained that the only new armor in the begining was released in the gem shop.

So anet said they would release outfits in gem shop and armor in game.

After that we have hardly seen any armors in game and a metric ton of outfits in the gem shop.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They haven’t made outfits with seperate parts since they axed the town clothes system years ago (and even then they weren’t full sets and worked kinda weird compared to armor).

Town clothes were armor skins that could only be worn in town; they weren’t outfits, which is why they could theoretically be mixed and matched. However, they weren’t designed to work with other sets of armor (in particular, they use different ‘wire meshes’), which is probably why many were turned into tonics rather than skins or even outfits.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That and people complained that the only new armor in the begining was released in the gem shop.

So anet said they would release outfits in gem shop and armor in game.

After that we have hardly seen any armors in game and a metric ton of outfits in the gem shop.

That was the player side reason ANet presented rather than a business side. But if selling them at 800 gems wasn’t that profitable, giving them away is even less of an incentive to do them, unless it’s marketed as something in an expansion to drive account key sales. But still we have gotten one off armor skin pieces as rewards as well as gem shop items since the change.

The real problem are players who love some piece (or pieces) on an outfit and now desperately want them for their mix and match armor. I know a lot of people who would love Countess Anise’s top to be an armor skin on light armor but alas it’s part of an outfit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)