ANET: Plz put an end to Skill Spamming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Dear Anet,

I’d like to seen an option to turn off special effects from other players attacks. Why? Because of the Skill Spammers.

For those who don’t know: Skill spamming is when people are continually using special effect attacks (like the Elementalist’s fire attacks and Tornado) on players who are talking to each other in non-combat areas. Most of the time, the Skill Spammer is an elementalist or an engineer. Sadly, I’ve occasionally seen Warriors, Guardians, and Mesmers spamming their skills on others. Skill spammers are often in a group and performing attack-after-attack on players to the point where the screen turns white. Their attacks also cause massive FPS drops.

Things myself and others have tried to remedy the situation:

—Telling them to stop

— Silence (aka “Refusing to feed the trolls”)

— Blocking them (and hoping the Megaserver will place the harassers in another shard. Sometimes it works to prevent future attacks. Other times, I see the attackers on the same map even though I’ve blocked them.)

—Changing locations (This works to stop some skill spammers. Sadly, there are a few who follow and continue the attacks)

Help us, Anet. You’re our only hope!

(edited by kta.6502)

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

kta; you should not be surprise by that; arena net design game for skill spamming. Especially they design skill with no-little cooldown very high damage that can be spam over and over. I unserstand your frustration; that why i find spamming in this game a joke.

Why do you think many class can instant kill over and over again? do you think if arena net want to make these class challenge by not spam instant kill skill, they would fix it long time? Yes! but they will not because that is what they design game to be; spam with little cooldown= fast everything.

2 suggestion

1. accept it
2. use time to play mmo game that use challenge model instead spam model=high percent win

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Read the post again especially this part:

For those who don’t know: Skill spamming is when people are continually using special effect attacks (like the Elementalist’s fire attacks and Tornado) on players who are talking to each other in non-combat areas.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

DarkSyze.8627

Read the post again especially this part:

For those who don’t know: Skill spamming is when people are continually using special effect attacks (like the Elementalist’s fire attacks and Tornado) on players who are talking to each other in non-combat areas.

Skill Spamming,

In role-playing video games spam usually takes the form of repeated use of one powerful or low-cost skill or spell”.

In role-playing video games spam usually takes the form of repeated use of one powerful or low-cost skill or spell. Buff, debuff, and condition spamming has the goal of making the player or his allies invulnerable, or the enemy too weak to react. More common is direct-damage spamming, where a single attack or spell, which has a low casting-cost and recharge time, is used continuously”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28gaming%29

Ankur

kta.6502

DarkSyze— I’m referring to areas where there isn’t any combat (the cities, Camp Resolve, etc).

In GW2, I’ve seen trolls get into group and use their class skills on folks in non-combat areas. One person casts a skill (like the Ele’s Tornado) on a group of players who are just talking. Then their fellow troll will cast another skill just before the first troll’s skill ends. This keeps going until each troll in the group has used a skill on victim group. Alot of times, the screen whites out before the attack ends.

(edited by kta.6502)

DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze— I’m referring to areas where there isn’t any combat (the cities, Camp Resolve, etc).

The only solution i see to this problem is for arena net to restrict all attack skill from attivate in no combat area. Square Enix and other have that in their game, arena net can do same.

Ankur

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

sometimes people like to roleplay that they are dueling. I dont see a problem with that. its fun actually.

kta.6502

The only solution i see to this problem is for arena net to restrict all attack skill from attivate in no combat area. Square Enix and other have that in their game, arena net can do same.

That’s possible too.

Anet seems to be focused on innovative programming when it comes to GW2. This game uses original coding, so it may be possible for the devs to add an option in the Options Window to turn off special effects for those who don’t want to see it. The skill spammers can do their thing while players who want to talk can have piece of mind.

It doesn’t hurt to ask.

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

sometimes people like to roleplay that they are dueling. I dont see a problem with that. its fun actually.

I’m pretty sure kta is referring to people who deliberately disturb roleplayers by standing on top of them and spamming the flashiest skills possible. In World of Warcraft this was sadly quite common as well. Find a pair of roleplayers engaged in a conversation, plant your AoE effects on them, watch as they get more and more annoyed. Alternatively use a large mount and place yourself on top of them. Despicable behaviour, if you ask me.

Also possible with people who aren’t roleplaying, of course.

In any case, I don’t really see how arenanet could restrict stuff like that without fundamentally changing the way the game works.

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

DarkSyze.8627

it is in no combat area, should it be too obvious that no combat area mean not using combat skill in no combat area? I do not get it at all.

Why did arena net put civilian in area and to allow player to use combat skill in their area? Do no combat area+civilian deserver peace and quiet? Or do they not mean nothing at all or have no imporatance at all?

it is in no combat area, should it be too obvious that no combat area mean not using combat skill in no combat area? I do not get it at all.

Example; Would it be ok to roleplay dueling inside civilian area? Why put civilian in area for peace and allow player to use combat skill? peace need quiet, if want use combat skill-go to combat area and make all noise want.

No combat areas mean no combat areas. I am serious, why use word if not mean it?

Ankur

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

Absolutely not.

Earlier in town I was watching an ele practice stacking might near the Mystic Forge in LA. I gave the guy some tips on how to do it more efficiently, and even swap weapons to be able to self stack 25 might. Without skill use in town, we would have never met, and knowledge would have never been shared.

People practicing and teaching/learning rotations benefit greatly from the company of others, particularly strangers that one meets in town. On the other hand it’s the RPers who generally are “premade” and prefer to have no external disturbances.

In other words, RPers need the towns less than everyone else. If they desire additional privacy it should be them that should be able to move somewhere else.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Wylf.2586

Example; Would it be ok to roleplay dueling inside civilian area? Why put civilian in area for peace and allow player to use combat skill? peace need quiet, if want use combat skill-go to combat area and make all noise want.

Of course it would be ok. Counter question, how many bar fights do you see happening in the middle of a warzone? Relatively few, I imagine. Usually those happen in civilian areas ;)

That aside, the problem with restricting combat skills is that they are often useful even in non combat situations. The engineers rifle jump thingie for example. I used that quite a few times for reaching vistas. Aside from that multiple classes have active skills that they need to use to gain faster movement speed.

kta.6502

It’s not dueling if the other group isn’t fighting back. Plus, it’s well known in the RP community that players who want a fight MUST get others permission BEFORE initiating combat. This goes for both Tarnished Coast (NA megaserver) or Piken Square (EU megaserver).

The PvP community usually takes their stuff to the Mists (the PvP maps or private arenas).

Here’s another thing: It only takes a few min to type a message in Say chat to get the others’ permission.

Just because one sees a group, doesn’t mean they’re up for a fight. Not all of the people on the megaserver like PvP or RP.

(edited by kta.6502)

DarkSyze.8627

kta, first you post problem with player spamming skill make harrassing in no combat area, than you change story and defend player who do like pvp or rp; which side you are in?

Either you are for player harrassing in no combat area or against player for harrassing in no combat area? I like your first story for against player harrassing in no combat area, so that mean; any suggestion that will prevent these harrassing players from harrassing using skills in no combat area, is ok.

You can not be a good guy and a bad guy at the same time.

Ankur

kta.6502

kta, first you post problem with player spamming skill make harrassing in no combat area, than you change story and defend player who do like pvp or rp; which side you are in?

No I haven’t. My request is the same.

To clarify: I want an option to turn off the special effects that come from the skill spamming. The spamming whites out the screen. It causes the FPS to drop.

The skill spamming I’ve witnessed has repeatedly taken place in non-combat areas (cities, Camp Resolve, etc). IT’S UNWANTED BEHAVIOR. I’ve already listed ways that myself and others have tried to remedy the situation with the tools we have at hand.

In another post, I reassured another player that I wasn’t referring to Roleplayers (or PvPers) who like to try to start combat. I’m on the TC and PS servers. I know the RP culture on both servers. Roleplayers don’t skill spam. RP combat takes place only in chat. Some use a skill to illustrate what their character is doing, but it’s not a continuous chain of special effects that goes on for a few minutes.

PvPers, on the other hand, go to the Mists if they’re looking for a true fight. PvPers don’t skill spam in non-combat areas.

I’m referring to people who excessively spam skills on others for no reason, without permission, and in areas where there is nothing to fight.

Wylf.2586

Turning off the special effects would possibly even be a good idea in certain fights with tons of people participating :X I imagine performance in large events like, say, the frozen maw would be significantly improved if you’d just disable the flashy parts of combat. Not so much a problem for me (I maintain a stable 10 FPS in those fights :P) but it would be a good idea for people who don’t have the most powerful PCs. shrugs

(edited by Wylf.2586)

kta.6502

Turning off the special effects would possibly even be a good idea in certain fights with tons of people participating :X I imagine performance in large events like, say, the frozen maw would be significantly improved if you’d just disable the flashy parts of combat. Not so much a problem for me (I maintain a stable 10 FPS in those fights :P) but it would be a good idea for people who don’t have the most powerful PCs. shrugs

Yep! It would be extremely useful in WvW fights.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

How would turning off spell effects stop someone from spamming a greatsword attack in your face? As long as you’re in the open world, there’ll always be a way to annoy you. Cake gun spam?

If they were going to give the option to turn off spell effects, they would have done it years ago when people were complaining about not being able to see anything. Instead, they simply toned them down.

Since spamming skills likely leaves no evidence, all you can really do is leave. Simply choose a new random location, or if multiple instances exist, guest to a different server. If someone is able to find you, they’re either putting it a lot of effort to do so or someone with you is letting them find you. If you can get them to leave evidence in chat however, you can simply report them.

kta.6502

How would turning off spell effects stop someone from spamming a greatsword attack in your face?

If I could turn off the special effects, I would only see the character moving to attack or jumping on me. I just wouldn’t see the flashy special effects. Plus it would be easier to right click on the person and choose “block”.

Another advantage: I could also get screenshots and send the info to the offender’s guild leader (if the troll is part of a guild with a no-trolling policy). Interesting story: There was a thief troll who constantly attacked groups with melee attacks. The guy was part of a social guild on the TC server. People within one group got screenshots and sent the info to the player’s guild. The offender was immediately g-kicked. Then the thief troll joined a WvW guild and the same thing happened. I haven’t see the guy since September. Either he quit or he got blacklisted on the server.

Most of the time, trolls prefer eles and engies for skill spamming. I’ve seen some trolls climb up somewhere (like the command post in Camp Resolve) before spamming spells or grenades on players who are nearby. Trolls use that tactic so the others can’t see who is attacking them without moving the camera. It also makes it difficult for the victims to right click and block the trolls.

As long as you’re in the open world, there’ll always be a way to annoy you. Cake gun spam?

Cake gun spam… LOL! At least the cake gun gives people a sugar rush boost! XD It’s also alot easier to ignore tiny cakes on the ground.

(edited by kta.6502)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

How would turning off spell effects stop someone from spamming a greatsword attack in your face?

If I could turn off the special effects, I would only see the character moving to attack or jumping on me. I just wouldn’t see the flashy special effects. Plus it would be easier to right click on the person and choose “block”.

Another advantage: I could also get screenshots and send the info to the offender’s guild leader (if the troll is part of a guild with a no-trolling policy). Interesting story: There was a thief troll who constantly attacked groups with melee attacks. The guy was part of a social guild on the TC server. People within one group got screenshots and sent the info to the player’s guild. The offender was immediately g-kicked. Then the thief troll joined a WvW guild and the same thing happened. I haven’t see the guy since September. Either he quit or he got blacklisted on the server.

Most of the time, trolls prefer eles and engies for skill spamming. I’ve seen some trolls climb up somewhere (like the command post in Camp Resolve) before spamming spells or grenades on players who are nearby. Trolls use that tactic so the others can’t see who is attacking them without moving the camera. It also makes it difficult for the victims to right click and block the trolls.

As long as you’re in the open world, there’ll always be a way to annoy you. Cake gun spam?

Cake gun spam… LOL! At least the cake gun gives people a sugar rush boost! XD It’s also alot easier to ignore tiny cakes on the ground.

Sounds like the Thief was excessively harassed and cyberbullied for something silly. =/

I like the skill freedom this game has so wouldn’t want anything changed with that, and if it’s really lagging you then you should turn down your graphics or buy a new PC. :o

Adding an effects slider is reasonable though, just because things like this drive me insane. It was hard to do that LS fight without my eyes hurting after a while.

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There are no non-combat areas.

Remember what happened in Lion’s Arch?

If there was non-combat areas, players would not be able to use their skills in them like how skills didn’t work in outposts in GW1.

If you are annoyed by people, block them. That should hide them completely, unable to see them, their tags if they are commanders, their skill visuals, their lines and emotes in chat, their entries in the LFG panel… well… maybe not some of these, but it should do all of that.

When you block someone it should be as if they didn’t exist at all for you.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

I’m against the idea of disabling skills in town. As a matter of fact, it is convenient being able to use skills in town. Portals, swiftness, blinks etc all make getting around places easier.

If your PC is having issues handling huge cluster of skill effects, then I can see you’ll have troubles in open world situations as well. All open world events like World bosses, WvW, Silverwastes consists of large collection of players spamming numerous skills and cluster the screen with particle effects. A minimal/disable special effects option would certainly be useful in these situations but could also hugely affect gameplay where you’re unable to see ground target that isn’t marked with AoE circles.

I can see the annoyance that some people might intentionally skill spam within your proximity but unless there’s like e.g. 5 ele using tornado at once, it shouldn’t be any worse than the open world fights where there’s 10x more people doing that all at once. Perhaps you could turn down some of your graphics setting to minimum, if it’s not already set.

(edited by Akikaze.1307)

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

shrugs It’s bound to happen, if you’re really that upset about framerate, get a new computer.

Plus it’s a part of the community honestly, I’ve had in Lion’s Arch just having a faux duel, or spamming Firey Greatsword in a group as a fun but stupid distraction.

Doing stupid pointless things with our abilities is just part of MMo really.

That said I guess if it’s for harassment then I can sort of agree. But I’ve never seen it that bad, and at that point, you can usually just map out. Haven’t found it to be egregious in any instance personally.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

…god forbid somebody plays arround in a GAME… or does anything but auto attacking in battle… yea what evil people who are certainly 100% out to annoy you… cause you are afterall the only one that matters in their game. I of course will now organise a crusade in your name to abolish those who dare to defy you…

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

…god forbid somebody plays arround in a GAME… or does anything but auto attacking in battle… yea what evil people who are certainly 100% out to annoy you… cause you are afterall the only one that matters in their game. I of course will now organise a crusade in your name to abolish those who dare to defy you…

LMAO…………………………………………..

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

It seems as though something else is going on here. Mobs of players don’t just appear out of nowhere, target a random person, and spam all of their skills to clutter their screen. And then repeat this process often enough to disrupt gameplay time periods spanning days, weeks or more. At least, I’ve never seen this happen since GW2 launch. Sure a player here and there will be running around with silly toys and what not but they don’t last long and move on to something else. The vast majority of people in towns are using the merchant, talking, or are AFK. A skill spammer would get bored very quickly with these kinds of people.

Somewhere along the way there must have been an argument or confrontation with these skill spammers that are causing them to target the OP. This sounds like a problem that needs to be resolved with the parties in question or behavior changed to prevent future parties from wanting to participate in some kind of silly skill spamming.

I’m sure having a screen full of special effects constantly is very irritating, but I also think this situation could have been avoided to begin with. I do however agree that an option to remove special effects should be added anyways, for those people with lower performance computers who want to participate in a zerg.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Some people REALLY don’t like roleplayers and will do anything they can to bother them with no provocation needed. Since they can’t attack them, power spamming, emote spamming, and being a general pain are usually the tactics used.

I saw it in CoH, I see it in CO, I see it here.

And mind you, in the first two most of the RPers are/were in RP specific areas with no other use, so people went out of their way to bother them.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Infinite mana = Skill spam. They won’t be adding mana to the game’s mechanics imo.
Less frequent, but more powerful skills would solve this problem.

kta.6502

I do however agree that an option to remove special effects should be added anyways, for those people with lower performance computers who want to participate in a zerg.

I agree with you on this point.

It seems as though something else is going on here. Mobs of players don’t just appear out of nowhere, target a random person, and spam all of their skills to clutter their screen. And then repeat this process often enough to disrupt gameplay time periods spanning days, weeks or more. At least, I’ve never seen this happen since GW2 launch…

TC, my home world for this account, is the unofficial RP world for the NA megaserver. It’s a tier 1 WvW server that has competitive players alongside the roleplayers.

I suspect that the trolls are guesting on TC with the goal of harassing RPers. During one incident, I recognized a Blackgate guild tag on one group of trolls. I do enough WvW and have read the Guild Recruitment Reddit enough to recognize some guild tags from other T-1 servers.

Somewhere along the way there must have been an argument or confrontation with these skill spammers that are causing them to target the OP…

I suppose victims of RL bullying or RL crimes bring the problems upon themselves, huh? Just think about that for a moment.

Trolls are like RL bullies. They don’t need a reason to attack anyone. They do it because they can get away with it. You can be minding your own business and get spammed. A lot of the Skill Spamming I’ve witnessed or experienced is random.

I block trolls when I see them engaged in their behavior. It doesn’t matter if they’re trolling me or other people.

If it’s a person I know, I just say “Quit Trolling” once before adding them to my block list.

(edited by kta.6502)

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

you are sooooo going to hate doing dungeons with me then !!!!!

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

you are sooooo going to hate doing dungeons with me then !!!!!

That is rather unrelated to this topic. its not about spamming in combat.

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

its still skill spam.

and I have spoken so it is relevant !

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Moderator.1056

Moderator.1056

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.