ANET: Why Boxes inside Boxes inside Boxes....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cyanon.1928

Cyanon.1928

Why are we OK with having to open thousands of boxes containing more boxes and more boxes that ultimately give us more bags with more boxes?

I’m starting to worry because my wrist is starting to feel some pain despite having a very ergonomic computer setup.

Are we people OK with that?

If feels unnecessary extra stress for our hands.

ANET, can we at least have an “open all” option?

Please show us that you care about the well being of our joints…..

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’ve had practice with this sort of thing in my youth.

Attachments:

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Maybe it is so that stuff take up less space in your inventory, untill you do open those bags and boxes.

I do like the idea of an open all option though. But I guess the reason… or one reason they havn’t given us that yet, is the risk of running out of bag space and then get x amount of stuff that does not fit, causing more problems.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Cyanon.1928

It happens in all games, you dont open boxes unless u have space, If you run out of space, you make more space… or dont open the boxes….

Simple day-by-day decisions we all make…

The coding team just need to make sure that if you press “open all”, once your inventory gets full, the remaining boxes don’t get opened..

This is a real QoL update much needed… It’s about protecting our joints/writs/fingers health.

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Click wars2. Seriously though, it’s too much. Get a chest, that gives you a chest that gives you a box with another box with gear you have to then smash with kits which then gives you more clicking via luck things and what not..

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Anet specifically said in the last bug patch notes they made a concrete effort to reduce the quantity of containers inside containers inside containers…

Hum.. it seems it was only refered to HoT maps, since the maps were proucing quite a huge variety of different containers…

“Rewards that now come from individual events have been rebalanced and consolidated into a smaller number of bags, reducing the number of inventory slots that players’ loot takes up during these event chains.”

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Maybe it is so that stuff take up less space in your inventory, untill you do open those bags and boxes.

I do like the idea of an open all option though. But I guess the reason… or one reason they havn’t given us that yet, is the risk of running out of bag space and then get x amount of stuff that does not fit, causing more problems.

That already happens, when you open a bag and not everything fits then you get a pop up overflow window with the extra loot and can’t open any more bags until you empty that overflow.

This “open-all” should behave the exact same way.

Posted by: Glott.7239

Glott.7239

we really need a “open all” option. people are already making jokes that Razer is paying them to implement all the double clicking, so that players wear out there mice and have to buy new once :P

an while they are at it. something like a dial to adjust which items are considered to be trash, as well as an option to disable the confirmation popup on savaging rares would be great to.

Posted by: Tomoyo.3482

Tomoyo.3482

its in the grey area but free programs can also do the clicking for you. just have to move the mouse.

(edited by Tomoyo.3482)

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

It makes players feel like they’re getting something when really it’s just some bits of blue and green rubbish.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Try having RSI and opening loot, its awful – my wrist hurts even with countermeasures. In fact, the game is awful on people with disabilities in general.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

That already happens, when you open a bag and not everything fits then you get a pop up overflow window with the extra loot and can’t open any more bags until you empty that overflow.

I know it does that. But that’s what… 3-5 items at most doing that at a time. Imagine how inconvenient it becomes with 10-20+ items or who knows how many it can become if you got a complete stack of some bag and little to no room left in your bags. So what I mean with more problems, is that this would be considered very inconvenient and annoying by some people and thus cause more complaining, wanting some solution for that.

Now if they can find a solution for that or a method to lessen that problem I am most definitely all for an open all option. Really I would love that. But I am not blind to there also being problems with how it would currently work.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Tonkatsu.4071

Tonkatsu.4071

-Materials should automatically go into the collection/material storage unless stacks are full there. It’s just dumb to have to spend so much time salvaging, to add to materials bank or whatever, and compact. Auto compact would be nice, or more options for sorting bags.

-Isn’t there a better way to compact, destroy and sell items from the inventory bags? Instead of the wheel with a menu, why not just a easy to understand button for compact, a destroy menu-type, like press the destroy button and just select all the items you wish to destroy, accept and done.

(edited by Tonkatsu.4071)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

its in the grey area but free programs can also do the clicking for you. just have to move the mouse.

Which is against ToS and will get you banned.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The first thing I noticed when I bought GW2 is that there is a TON of loot. I’ve played a lot of MMORPG’s, and I could go for about an hour or two just hitting the auto-loot everything button in those other games, and my inventory still wouldn’t be full. However, my inventory fills up in Guild Wars 2 literally within a span of 10 minutes.

The boxes only add to the pile of useless loot that you accrue, and then you have to spend a couple minutes sorting everything once you click on them. It is very, very overwhelming to be honest. I think they need to redo the loot system.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah it’s not very good. Too much green and glue gear and too many containers, not enough of anything else.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

-Materials should automatically go into the collection/material storage unless stacks are full there. It’s just dumb to have to spend so much time salvaging, to add to materials bank or whatever, and compact. Auto compact would be nice, or more options for sorting bags.

Yes, I’ve previously asked for an option I can tick in that Inventory settings menu that will auto-deposit any mats that come out of bags. That would be a gift from the six gods to me. But they’d rather implement an option to move the compact option. >.>

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I know it does that. But that’s what… 3-5 items at most doing that at a time. Imagine how inconvenient it becomes with 10-20+ items or who knows how many it can become if you got a complete stack of some bag and little to no room left in your bags. So what I mean with more problems, is that this would be considered very inconvenient and annoying by some people and thus cause more complaining, wanting some solution for that.

Now if they can find a solution for that or a method to lessen that problem I am most definitely all for an open all option. Really I would love that. But I am not blind to there also being problems with how it would currently work.

Open all would still open one bag at a time, you just wouldn’t have to click constantly between opening and it would happen a lot quicker but in technical terms it’s still only one bag at a time. I don’t think this is a problem.

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

A long time ago… people complained that there simply wasn’t enough loot in this game. We had mostly materials and actual gold drops. People complained about the lack of exciting gear drops most of all.

That was when ArenaNet introduced the loot boxes. Nobody can say that they do not have a sense of humour.

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

I don’t mind some boxes as they save space but the problem imo is the amount of bags and boxes. When you need to have fine, masterwork, rare, exotic and ascended boxes you’ve come back to square one. Not to mention that there are multiple different kinds of exotic, masterwork and fine bags. On the other hand I don’t see a way to solve this problem as space will always be an issue. Maybe have an “open all till every slot is filled” option or an autosalvage option for masterwork and lower tier equipment.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t this shift done specifically to render bypass the hundreds of points of account bound Magic Find people had accumulated?

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

No, open until every slot is filled is no good. You could end up with every bag slot filled with a box you then couldn’t open without going to a bank and dropping some boxes off. And then you’d spend hours transferring boxes between bags and the bank and a vendor for trash and salvaging would still need to be done..

Auto-salvage isn’t great either, first you’d really need infinite salvaging tools and then a whole new set of options of what to salvage and what not to salvage and you could still end up with all your bags full of runes and sigils that you’d need to vendor.

So then you’d need a new set of vendor auto-sell rules to get rid of the trash..

The problem is loot tables don’t combine for the player.
[box of gear] has inside it armour and [box of fruit]
[box of fruit] has inside it apples and [purse of coins]
[purse of coins] has inside it 2 copper

Why can’t I just open [sack of crap] and get armour, apples and 2 copper? All the same loot rolls can be made just dump it into one ultimate container. I guess the game thinks it’s more fun to open boxes which contain a surprise than to just give you the usually terrible reward.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Cyanon.1928

Its a little shame not having a dev response on this topic.

Seems like the importance of this issue has been overlooked fro too long now…

Posted by: Aileras.9460

Aileras.9460

I agree with OP, way to many clicks in this game.. just have everything drop gold and sell what we need in a store, make it simple I say.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I wrote about this once before. But basically the bags and boxes in bags is a programming shortcut to manipulate loot drops.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Cyanon.1928

I wrote about this once before. But basically the bags and boxes in bags is a programming shortcut to manipulate loot drops.

Ok great, thats fine. But they can give us an “open all” option just like the “consume all” option we already have for luck essences.

Our health and well being should be considered when they made decisions that require us to be clicking millions of times every month…

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It isn’t something that was decided as much as it is something that just happened.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Cyanon.1928

It isn’t something that was decided as much as it is something that just happened.

Then they need to work on it…

Again… is as simple as “open all” option… no need to develop a new technology for that.

These are preventable inconveniences that can be fixed with minimum effort.

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

No it’s not, it doesn’t gain you an “unfair” advantage…

Unless you consider saving your carpel tunnel an “unfair advantage”…

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

opening boxes inside boxes inside boxes is fun! it’s like TRIPLE CHRISTMAS

(open all, or open until fail, would be tops tho)

also something i wonder about; you could possibly rebind your mousewheel to click

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

penelopehannibal.8947

Macros

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

1. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
  2. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
  3. You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
  4. You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.
Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I think that JS has a thing for recursion, and this was the only way he could include it in the game…

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Image.8630

Image.8630

Yeah, way too many kinds of box/bags that gives mainly blues and green. Why colored box if its not gonna give you item(s) in its color? Never got the logic on that one.

sparc.3649

Macros

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

1. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
  2. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
  3. You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
  4. You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.

The part you highlighted was about keystrokes, has nothing to do with mouse clicks. Two totally different animals here.

It states “WHILE YOU PLAY ELSEWHERE”; yes THAT would be an unfair advantage as other people without said “auto-clicker” would not be able to set one client to “auto click” while they actually play on another. THAT would be an unfair advantage.

Automatically opening boxes, nothing wrong with it. And even if they do have a problem with it, too bad, there’s no way they’d ever know anyway unless one was dumb enough to admit to it (or have it on something like a youtube vid)…

That’s about as kittenaying it’s against the rules to use a voice communications applications such as TeamSpeak or Mumble or Discord. Even if they did, what would it matter, because again, they would NEVER know (unless one was dumb enough to admit it).

You don’t think that have a fly on the wall in your house do ya?

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

(edited by sparc.3649)

penelopehannibal.8947

Macros

You do know how to read yes? It states “WHILE YOU PLAY ELSEWHERE”; yes THAT would be an unfair advantage as other people without said “auto-clicker” would not be able to set one client to “auto click” while they actually play on another. THAT would be an unfair advantage.

Automatically opening boxes, nothing wrong with it. And even if they do have a problem with it, too bad, there’s no way they’d ever know anyway unless one was dumb enough to admit to it (or have it on something like a youtube vid)…

You know how to read too, yes? I think you’re missing the part where is says “One stroke, one action”. I think you’re also skipped past the part where it says ‘for instance’ as well, which usually means that the instance given isn’t the only case where it’s wrong.

But, fine. Go ahead and use an auto-clicker and risk your account.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

sparc.3649

Basically put, it’s something they cannot regulate anyways.

Prime example, many keyboards have physically programmable “macros” (that do not require software) that could do exactly what you said they said is “against the rules”. So, there’s no effective way they could even detect this. Again it’s great in theory, but it’s something they simply cannot enforce.

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

(edited by sparc.3649)

penelopehannibal.8947

So, there’s no effective way they could even detect this.

How do you know?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

sparc.3649

How do you know?

The first being that I LIVE (read: eat sleep and breathe) I.T. The second being common sense logic, if your keyboard performs these actions at the hardware level there’s no way for that to be detected because even if you were trying to (detect it at the software level), since it’s being performed at the hardware level, it would “look like” you were manually operating it. So again, the only way would be one form or another of admission.

Even detecting “programs” (software) that do this would be next to impossible, at least for any programs they’re not specifically aware of. And that would be to say they do have a way to search to detect for the ones they are aware of. Simply put, they would have to be aware of a programs existence to “look for it”. So if they are aware of PROGRAM1 and PROGRAM2 and search for it, and you use it – then MAYBE you would get caught. Though if you simply use PROGRAM3 instead, well they’re not “looking” for that one, so again, this is nothing more than a “feel good” rule that they cannot effectively enforce.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m against “botting” as one would traditionally think of it in the sense of hearing the word (as a gamer). I don’t think one should be able to set a PROGRAM to play FOR them while they are not even at the keyboard. But to attempt to say people can’t use an auto clicker, or macros, that’s just ridiculous. What about people with bad carpel tunnel problems? You put things in the game (like these boxes) that must be double clicked, and you have a whole stack of 250, you need to friggin click 500 times >.< NOT fun for someone with carpel tunnel issues; and there’s NO reason that should even be a “thing”. Luckily, as I’ve pointed out it’s nothing more than a “feel good” rule that cannot even be effectively enforced.

So you’re free to not believe me, but I know better

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

penelopehannibal.8947

How do you know?

The first being that I LIVE (read: eat sleep and breathe) I.T. The second being common sense logic, if your keyboard performs these actions at the hardware level there’s no way for that to be detected because even if you were trying to (detect it at the software level), since it’s being performed at the hardware level, it would “look like” you were manually operating it. So again, the only way would be one form or another of admission.

Even detecting “programs” (software) that do this would be next to impossible, at least for any programs they’re not specifically aware of. And that would be to say they do have a way to search to detect for the ones they are aware of. Simply put, they would have to be aware of a programs existence to “look for it”. So if they are aware of PROGRAM1 and PROGRAM2 and search for it, and you use it – then MAYBE you would get caught. Though if you simply use PROGRAM3 instead, well they’re not “looking” for that one, so again, this is nothing more than a “feel good” rule that they cannot effectively enforce.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m against “botting” as one would traditionally think of it in the sense of hearing the word (as a gamer). I don’t think one should be able to set a PROGRAM to play FOR them while they are not even at the keyboard. But to attempt to say people can’t use an auto clicker, or macros, that’s just ridiculous. What about people with bad carpel tunnel problems? You put things in the game (like these boxes) that must be double clicked, and you have a whole stack of 250, you need to friggin click 500 times >.< NOT fun for someone with carpel tunnel issues; and there’s NO reason that should even be a “thing”. Luckily, as I’ve pointed out it’s nothing more than a “feel good” rule that cannot even be effectively enforced.

So you’re free to not believe me, but I know better

Hey, it’s not that I don’t believe you, but every man and his dog on these forums seem to be a computer programmer of some sort (just like every man and his dog who get caught using a bot or macro suffers from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome), and “know” just what goes on behind the desks of the devs and GMs!

I probably don’t know even 1% of what you know of IT. What I do know is, a lot of people who are sure there aren’t any speed cameras in certain places, still end up getting speeding tickets.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Cuz boxception.

I recently opened a Star of Gratitude box and got a clothing box from it and opened that one to a Wintersday box inside it.

As for the spamclicking to open stacks of boxes they really need to add an option to open multiple ones/all of them at once, like Blade and Soul allows. Probably the only amazing QoL feature that game’s UI has.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Perhaps we need a mastery to learn how to open multiple boxes? Cause, you know, it takes a mastery to know how to jump on a bounching mushroom. It’s totally not like jumping on your garden variety non-bouncing mushrooms.

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Just having a tool to double-click for you won’t get you banned.
Anet even mentioned that. Else they would have to ban all users of programmable gaming mice.

Third-party programs that gain you an advantage to your fellow players are against ToS, protecting your wrists and therefore your health is not.

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

we really need a “open all” option. people are already making jokes that Razer is paying them to implement all the double clicking, so that players wear out there mice and have to buy new once :P

an while they are at it. something like a dial to adjust which items are considered to be trash, as well as an option to disable the confirmation popup on savaging rares would be great to.

100% this. Anet just needs to give a “consume all”-option to bags/boxes and the option to disable the confirmation window on rares and many of us would be happy.

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

+1, would like to see an “Open All” like Essences of Luck, but for the chests.

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

Cyanon.1928

+1, would like to see an “Open All” like Essences of Luck, but for the chests.

That would be the simplest and best solution for this.

ANET: At least tell us if its possible, if the devs are willing to do it and what would they need to do in order to make it a reality.

Our carpal bones will thank you devs.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Perhaps we need a mastery to learn how to open multiple boxes? Cause, you know, it takes a mastery to know how to jump on a bounching mushroom. It’s totally not like jumping on your garden variety non-bouncing mushrooms.

Totally different. I mean it takes a lot of practice to master that little spin you do while you jump

Posted by: RDarken.2495

RDarken.2495

Drives me nuts. +1 for fewer boxes. Just remove Magic Find already if the whole thing is to prevent MF from affecting loot.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The thing is, GW2’s loot economy is based around drooping and salvaging large quantities of items. In order to pay out what feels like good loot for killing stuff, the “trash” greens and blues have to be somehow manageable without requiring people to visit a merchant every 5 seconds.

In order to cut the number of bags, they’d have to seriously increase the number of inventory slots be bag, or offer some sort of median vendor payout for said bags.

Increasing inventory space doesn’t solves the “click all the things” issue, and offering a vendor payout for unopened bags would just feel like a penalty for people not willing to open the bags and loot things “properly”

Without completely changing how the loot>materials>crafted items economy works I can’t really see a better option than what they started in the HoT maps, use less bag types so at least when you’re looting the bags stack better. Anything else would require not just an overhaul of loot, but of the whole loot and crafting systems to a point it wouldn’t be worth the headache and require stupid amounts of resources to to band-aid somethings that’s a pretty core part of how the game’s economy works.

Plus, I like taking the down time to open a bunch of bags. It’s like when you’d trick-or-treat as a kid and then come home and inventory all the loot. It’s kind of relaxing after several hours of murdering stuff.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

After a round of box opening and assembly line salvaging made me grab pain killers, I felt ANet needed a new advertising slogan.

“Guild Wars 2, from the makers of Tylenol.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aileras.9460

Aileras.9460

just throwing this out there, having your bags fill up with whatever makes people buy gems to make more room. Food for thought.