ANet: How you missed the mark

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I want to make a clear, non-ranty post in the hopes of getting a staff member’s actual input.

When it comes to guild wars, some of the game’s features are very overwhelming.
However, those overwhelming features are nothing to do with the levelling process (skills, downed state, etc) and everything to do with the total lack of direction and instruction regarding the game;’s advanced and unique features.

For example, a very unique and totally awesome aspect of Guild Wars 2’s combat is the combo system – A system that I wouldn’t know even existed were it not for me accidentally triggering a combo one day and asking my guild what just happened.
It is these advanced game features, like combos, dungeons, traits, crafting, etc that need a new approach due to their total lack of in-game tutelage. What is not needed is a massive “dumbing down” of the leveling system itself, which is genuinely pretty easy to understand for the majority of people who would go out and purchase an MMORPG before playing it (ie, people who play GW2).

In summary, this gated and lengthy hand holding process is not what is needed, rather we need better in-game communication and instruction regarding GW2’s unique gameplay aspects like comboing, crafting, etc.

Those replying, should you chose to, please keep the replies civil and pleasant, to not give any reason for this thread to be locked and ignored, thank you.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

GW2 is suposed to be a very very casual game, actually i find the UI changes real good, but if they wanted to teach something to the players they should had an instanced zone at the begging where they could make a small help to show this important steps, i guess Queensdale first missions should work as tutorials if reworked for better understanding, also that learn to dodge, its possible for they player being KD while in dodge.

One side note: combo between classes is not new and not unique to gw2.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

GW2 is suposed to be a very very casual game, actually i find the UI changes real good, but if they wanted to teach something to the players they should had an instanced zone at the begging where they could make a small help to show this important steps, i guess Queensdale first missions should work as tutorials if reworked for better understanding, also that learn to dodge, its possible for they player being KD while in dodge.

One side note: combo between classes is not new and not unique to gw2.

the game is already casual friendly. You see lots of ranger bearbows lol.

Sometimes, I wonder of they can add other things like blast finisher environmental weapons while you speed boon a npc producing lighting fields.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

The game is casual. As a disabled individual it is not to overwhelming. I enjoy the community and being able to interact with others. My friends and guild mates give me the ability to interact with others. Not to sure about the mega-server yet. I miss traveling areas and not running into players but at least they are there if you need help. So for me, it is enjoyable and fun.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I agree OP. The main thing that should have happened is tutorials to explain these things. Quite a few of us learned from other players how these things worked, and a tutorial area we could access from anywhere would be a very nice way to do it. Sorta like how the tutorial area for PvP works. It explains the tutorials on how to do some things quite well, we need one for when a character is first created. Hell, the tutorial area could easily be a dream we’re having ingame.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I agree OP. The main thing that should have happened is tutorials to explain these things. Quite a few of us learned from other players how these things worked, and a tutorial area we could access from anywhere would be a very nice way to do it. Sorta like how the tutorial area for PvP works. It explains the tutorials on how to do some things quite well, we need one for when a character is first created. Hell, the tutorial area could easily be a dream we’re having ingame.

mm. I personally don’t understand why they don’t simply expand the defence of Shaemoor/other race’s starting events and turn it in to a 5~ level tutorial instance.

Downed could be explained by a scripted downed state which runs you through dying, fighting for your life, rallying, etc etc. A scripted weapon drop could run you though weapon swapping and weapon skills, etc etc etc.

This just seems like the most sensible way to do it, which is why I’m quite baffled by ArenaNet’s chosen direction

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

GW2 is suposed to be a very very casual game

Then why do we have PVP and WvW? Where did they even state this was supposed to be a “very very casual game”? Quite the opposite actually: ANet wanted this to have an esport scene, which is anything but casual.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

GW2 is redefining the concept of being casual… it used to be for casuals (defined by the opposite of hardcore). Now this game is for casuals, like in you casually touched a videogame in your life and all of a sudden you purchased GW2, because of reasons.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Hell, the tutorial area could easily be a dream we’re having ingame.

You’re a sylvari, aren’t you?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

After trying the new leveling system, I have this to say. Iirc, two reasons were given for the NPE.

1. Giving people more of a sense that leveling mattered
  2. Gating acquisition of game mechanics to improve player ability to comprehend those mechanics

My experience was that the 1st goal was achieved, at least in part. I don’t believe the second will be, though. The reasons are:

1. If the skills are opening up later in level, but the leveling process is compressed — at least early on — so that they become available at about the same time as they would under the old system, then new players are not actually getting more time to get adjusted to the skills.
  2. Under the old weapon skill unlocks, players got one skill at a time, period. Under the new one, if a player equips a new weapon, they get all the skills their level allows, meaning more chance for overwhelm than the old weapon skill system allowed.
  3. Core systems are still not explained very well, as the OP states. Assuming one knows nothing about dodging, for instance, the dodge tutorial teaches one that you use dodge to get past an AoE mechanic that keeps you from going where you want to go. By level 10, I had encountered a minimalist explanation of the downed state, and nothing about combo fields.