ANet's mentality on dungeons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

“We want to remove liquid gold from dungeons because it destroys the economy”"

Welp, guess I’m gonna dump 100 bucks for 1k gold instead of doing dungeons to prevent damaging the economy further.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

You’d just be buying gold that someone else bought gems with. No gold is being created during that process. Good luck next time.

In fact 2*15% of the value is destroyed during this process. You’d be destroying gold instead of creating it.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Thank you for your contribution.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

I’ll gamble more on TP and put precursors, craft mats and cool looking skins for horrendous prices on it then – will fix problem.

Seruously… who came up with this idea of nerfing dungeon earnings?
Its only stupid because gold earned that way is already poop…
Better way is to decrease RNG loot so that stuff on TP wont cost whole GPD of a small a country so that everyone can actually have something instead of rich being richer and poor being poorer…

Nerfing least earning money thing in game… jeesh…
BUT what to expect – they want to sell EXPANSION for a cost of a full game…

Geniuses….

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That gold isn’t going away completely. I believe it was stated that those rewards are being redistributed in other places (most likely fractals and raids).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

Welp, guess I’m gonna dump 100 bucks for 1k gold instead of doing dungeons to prevent damaging the economy further.

I’ll gamble more on TP and put precursors, craft mats and cool looking skins for horrendous prices on it then – will fix problem.

Better way is to decrease RNG loot so that stuff on TP wont cost whole GPD of a small a country so that everyone can actually have something instead of rich being richer and poor being poorer…

Geniuses….

Both of you are geniuses in economy….btw sarcasm.

Bringing up methods that benefit the economy by destroying currently circulating gold, and asking for the very method of gold earning that contributes to inflation.

Simply Brilliant.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Geniuses….

For the full cost of a DirectX11 game with 64-bit clients too. Dark Souls II is around the same price and has amazing PvP.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a little more complicated than that, of course:

• They are moving those liquid rewards to other content.
  • They are rebalancing rewards so that more challenging content offers more substantive rewards than less challenging content. (I think at this point lots of us agree that dungeons are not very much of a challenge.)
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

Do we know how much of a nerf to dungeon gold is happening? They are pretty unrewarding as they stand, so unless u need the title no-one will run them as it’s easier to get tokens and skins from the pvp reward track.

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

It would make more sense to me to simply add levels of difficulty to dungeons and make rewards to scale. How hard is it to change dungeons so that difficulty scales like fractals?

Osu

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It would make more sense to me to simply add levels of difficulty to dungeons and make rewards to scale. How hard is it to change dungeons so that difficulty scales like fractals?

Harder than it is worth, apparently.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

You’d just be buying gold that someone else bought gems with. No gold is being created during that process. Good luck next time.

In fact 2*15% of the value is destroyed during this process. You’d be destroying gold instead of creating it.

This.

The dungeon nerf is not primarily about fixing the economy. It’s about pushing people into Fractals and Raids and away from dungeons, because it’s much easier to balance 14 Fractals and a couple of Raid wings than 9 Dungeons with more than 27 paths in total. In my opinion, this makes the change worse than if it were simply economic because if it were just economic, they might be inclined to substitute the liquid gold for a couple of pieces of rare equipment rather than just nerf the gold so no one wants to run dungeons anymore.

This is an assassination job, not an economic balancing act.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Do we know how much of a nerf to dungeon gold is happening? They are pretty unrewarding as they stand, so unless u need the title no-one will run them as it’s easier to get tokens and skins from the pvp reward track.

I don’t read all of the posts so maybe there is more accurate information out there somewhere, but I did see this from John Smith:

“Dungeons will still drop things as well as they will still have some gold, they will just have much less gold."*

Interpret “much less gold” as you will.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

This is an assassination job, not an economic balancing act.

Correct. Here’s an explanation as was posted in the dungeon sub-forum.

Q.
why are you nerfing the income of players who prefer your old content over your new content? I for one don’t care much for raids but really enjoy dungeons..

A.
We don’t intend to nerf income, just shift where most players derive their income. You won’t be forced into raids in order to earn value though.

Players who enjoy playing dungeons will have either lower income or will have to play content they do not enjoy as much in order to maintain their existing level of income.

The only way you can accurately claim that you did not intend to nerf their income is to state that you intended to reduce their enjoyment of the game instead.

Edit for clarification: I did not mean you personally, but rather the collective of those who made the decision.

This is called false dilemma. I think you should probably restate this.

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons
Yes

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?
The intention is not entirely to reduce liquid gold earning, we’ll be using up the slack we generate in other locations

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?
Fractals

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading
I don’t understand this one

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

yep.
trading post is exactly where it should be, both gem side and normal side, each time you use TP you destroy gold from the economy, thanks for your contribution!

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Someone who does not understand how the gem-gold exchange works detected.

I fully support you supporting the game through the purchase of gems though. You go good sir.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s not at all suprising.

They want to axe dungeons because it’s much easier to develop and deploy a single new fractal than a single new dungeon path. Fractals are generally shorter and don’t come with the expectation of lore, extensive voice acting, etc.

This lets them release more “dungeon” updates more frequently, as fractals those updates have more longevity (as they scale for a hundred levels, and have a more long term relevant reward system than dungeon tokens) and in general lets themwork instance content on a similar release schedule as LS updates, and leave the raids for the “heavy lifting” lore/voicework/etc. expenses.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I don’t read all of the posts so maybe there is more accurate information out there somewhere, but I did see this from John Smith:

“Dungeons will still drop things as well as they will still have some gold, they will just have much less gold."*

Interpret “much less gold” as you will.

I’m guessing 80% less.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes