AP change, thank you ANet! (AP Hunter <3)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

Awhile back I made a long and detailed post about the daily grind a lot of AP hunters face, and many other AP hunters have been asking for quality of life changes to the system for a long time. It was a small hope, and never did I imagine ANet would actually listen!

Skimming over a few of the other AP threads it seems there are two reactions to this; joy from competitive AP hunters, and ‘anger’ from most other people. To the non-AP hunters I will say that you will not have to worry about any loss of reward, you’re not going to hit that 10k daily AP cap any time soon. In fact most AP hunters, the people who have grinded out most dailies every day since launch are just approaching that cap now, it will be a long time before non-competitive AP earners catch up.

As an AP hunter (~109 on NA as of this post), and I’m sure many other competitive AP hunters will agree with me when I say this, we thank you! No longer do we have to spend 2 hours on dailies, no longer will we dread missing potential points. The merge is a huge plus too, allowing us to truly play how we want!

This singular change is helping renew my love for the game, I’ll be able to play the content that I want, when I want, without that daily AP panel demanding to be filled in.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This does nothing for AP hunters. Those players with nearly every achievement already done will have almost nothing to work with to earn their AP chest rewards.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

As an AP hunter, this is a horrible change. I wont be able to play the content that I want. Strange, never once did I think that the AP panel demanded anything t all.

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

This does nothing for AP hunters. Those players with nearly every achievement already done will have almost nothing to work with to earn their AP chest rewards.

AP hunters have been around a lot longer than the chest rewards have, most of us do it either for the sake of completion or to be competitive on the boards. For most of us falling in one or both of those groups this is a huge relief

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Competition on the boards is going to be nigh impossible for those players that have most everything done and now cannot even use dailies to compete. Like I said, does nothing for hunters with a lot of the game’s achieves done.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Won’t it help though? Won’t it show that the actual hardcore AP hunters do real, challenging achievements? I don’t think dailies are challenging, so maybe that’s what he means. I’m not sure to be honest. x3

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I don’t see how this is soemthing the game needed at all. If you don;t want to grind AP then don’t, the system should not have to forcibly prevent progression for you to take a break. You could play exactly as you wanted before, the OP just comes across as being selfish.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Osiris Shadow.5890

Osiris Shadow.5890

As an AP hunter, this is a horrible change. I wont be able to play the content that I want. Strange, never once did I think that the AP panel demanded anything t all.

I agree completely. Also as an AP hunter, this change will drastically decrease the amount of time I spend in this game. Especially long-term.

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

I disagree completely. As an AP hunter, this is a wonderful change. I’ll now be able to dabble in aspects of the game like PvP and other stuff like experimenting with builds and spending more time on alts – which in turn will keep my interest up in this game. Especially long-term.

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Posted by: Hellmasker.1649

Hellmasker.1649

REJOICE! Go forth and enjoy thine moots and parties! This is a night to remember!

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
For we have held fast our ground and our loyalty to Tyria each and every day…
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

Posted by: Adminir.8140

Adminir.8140

I disagree completely. As an AP hunter, this is a wonderful change. I’ll now be able to dabble in aspects of the game like PvP and other stuff like experimenting with builds and spending more time on alts – which in turn will keep my interest up in this game. Especially long-term.

As an AP hunter I am overwhelmed with happiness by this change.

Posted by: JeffHardisty.1926

JeffHardisty.1926

As an AP hunter I am overwhelmed with happiness by this change.

As a AP hunter I am saddened by this change, since it will now take longer to get all the hellfire skins. Once I reach the cap I will no longer get a extra achievement chest every month and a half from just the daily points.

TC [CERN]

Posted by: Dime Baggins.1058

Dime Baggins.1058

What AP changes? Can you describe what the changes are and where I can read up on them?

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

What AP changes? Can you describe what the changes are and where I can read up on them?

Today ANet announced that daily APs will now be capped at 10k and monthly at 5k.

As to be expected with a change of this magnitude, some folks are happy, others upset, and probably many others indifferent.

Or as the old adage goes, “You can’t please all the people all the time.”

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

As an AP kitten, I think the AP cap is a great idea. However, the daily cap feels a little low as I’m already almost there after just 1 year.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Awhile back I made a long and detailed post about the daily grind a lot of AP hunters face, and many other AP hunters have been asking for quality of life changes to the system for a long time. It was a small hope, and never did I imagine ANet would actually listen!

Skimming over a few of the other AP threads it seems there are two reactions to this; joy from competitive AP hunters, and ‘anger’ from most other people. To the non-AP hunters I will say that you will not have to worry about any loss of reward, you’re not going to hit that 10k daily AP cap any time soon. In fact most AP hunters, the people who have grinded out most dailies every day since launch are just approaching that cap now, it will be a long time before non-competitive AP earners catch up.

As an AP hunter (~109 on NA as of this post), and I’m sure many other competitive AP hunters will agree with me when I say this, we thank you! No longer do we have to spend 2 hours on dailies, no longer will we dread missing potential points. The merge is a huge plus too, allowing us to truly play how we want!

This singular change is helping renew my love for the game, I’ll be able to play the content that I want, when I want, without that daily AP panel demanding to be filled in.

Just for clarification, if I understood the blogpost right.

Do the changes mean, that every person, who has 10k+ Achievement Poits, will get from the 15ths april on no more AP from dailies… so doing the dailies then give you not anymore the +1 AP, but instead you get just 0, nothing nad, niente ???

If thats the case, then I demand here as a AP Hunter myself a kind of replacement!!

Currently doing 5 Dailies rewards you with:

+1 AP each Daily (5AP total/day)
Exp Boosts per every done Daily
600 Karma
50 Luck
Chance for a random Gemstore Item (booster, salvage kit, key, stone ect.)

If this is true, that with the next patch everyone with more than 10k AP won’t get anymore those 5 AP for doing the dailies… doing the dailies at all becomes completely pointless, because there are more than enough of other ways to get the luck and the karma, than doing those 5 tasks for them …

So if Anet limits the AP gain from 10k Ap on. there needs to be either a replacement, or a compensation on the other rewards that stay, to compensate for the loss of the daily 5AP. So ANet has 2 choices here.

1) Compensation of the other rewards, by increasing Karma from 600 to 1000 and Luck from 50 to 250 (due to the point that Luck is limited, ANet could be here mroe generous, its so or so already an insane grind to get to 300MF, if you just buy not millions of cheap items to salvage from TP…
Or even better, let the Luck boost continously increase, so higher your MF gets.

Every % increases the Luck Boost from doing a daily by +5 points. So if you have for example 100% MF, your Luck Boost gets increased from 50 to 550 for doing the dailies.

2) Replacement
Anet should, if Compensation comes not into question, then replace the 5AP loss from the daily rewards with something new.

Doing for example a Daily if you have more than 10k AP, should reward the player with 1 Scrap of a Black Lion-Ticket.
That way these players would have to do 10 Dailies to get 1 full Ticket or basically a month of dailies to get 3 Full Tickets, whats in most of the cases still not enough to get 1 of the older Ticket Weapon Skins… and i talk about just 1… people who want to have more weapons of a certain skin would have to work naturally alot more, but that would be at least a very interestign replacement, that would be a real incentivation for people with 10k+ AP to still do the dailies at all and for peopel that don’t have yet 10k AP a nice incentivice to work a bit harder on gettign quicker to 10k AP and maybe doing something in the game they haven’t done yet to get some AP quicker together.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Not really an ap hunter, but I’m approaching the 10k daily ap soon and have about 1500 or so from the monthly.
**************************** Edit: Took a look and actually had the number slots flipped. Actually approaching 10k permanent and have 6K + from dailies, so won’t hit 10k for another 7months at the very least doing 20pts a day.

I actually don’t care either way about the ap itself, but I do ask myself, what will this mean for those who want on the (meaningless) leaderboard?

At some point you are going to get to where only new updates and wvw achieves will get you points which means there could be a point where no one is moving up at all in the top 1000.

I do think there are many who only log in to do the daily if even for the bare minimum of 9pts for completion. Without that incentive to have something to do, this could backfire.

@ Orpheal….was confused about how you were using 10k ap, but the message is valid.
I hate math so I’m not going to count up how much daily ap has been available in total so I’m not sure if anyone is at 10k or not.

I do like the idea of compensation though, like I said, there is going to be a point where the achieves you can get are the content updates and wvw … + spvp rank/title achieves. Eliminating the dailies for ap will kill the reason to log in for many I assume simply due to if “I don’t have a reason to do the daily, I won’t do it at all and sometimes it’s the only thing I do”.

I know more than few pver’s who won’t go anywhere near pvp, so unless there has been a content update, these players who actually enjoy having this system will up to their ears in “nothing to do here”.

Compensation needed indeed.

I’m thinking the number of players nearing 10k daily ap is smaller than we think. It may overall actually be a none issue for the next few months. No one is close to 5k monthly so don’t think that’ll be a problem in the foreseeable future either.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Just for clarification, if I understood the blogpost right.

Do the changes mean, that every person, who has 10k+ Achievement Poits, will get from the 15ths april on no more AP from dailies… so doing the dailies then give you not anymore the +1 AP, but instead you get just 0, nothing nad, niente ???

If thats the case, then I demand here as a AP Hunter myself a kind of replacement!!

Currently doing 5 Dailies rewards you with:

+1 AP each Daily (5AP total/day)
Exp Boosts per every done Daily
600 Karma
50 Luck
Chance for a random Gemstore Item (booster, salvage kit, key, stone ect.)

If this is true, that with the next patch everyone with more than 10k AP won’t get anymore those 5 AP for doing the dailies… doing the dailies at all becomes completely pointless, because there are more than enough of other ways to get the luck and the karma, than doing those 5 tasks for them …

So if Anet limits the AP gain from 10k Ap on. there needs to be either a replacement, or a compensation on the other rewards that stay, to compensate for the loss of the daily 5AP. So ANet has 2 choices here.

1) Compensation of the other rewards, by increasing Karma from 600 to 1000 and Luck from 50 to 250 (due to the point that Luck is limited, ANet could be here mroe generous, its so or so already an insane grind to get to 300MF, if you just buy not millions of cheap items to salvage from TP…
Or even better, let the Luck boost continously increase, so higher your MF gets.

Every % increases the Luck Boost from doing a daily by +5 points. So if you have for example 100% MF, your Luck Boost gets increased from 50 to 550 for doing the dailies.

2) Replacement
Anet should, if Compensation comes not into question, then replace the 5AP loss from the daily rewards with something new.

Doing for example a Daily if you have more than 10k AP, should reward the player with 1 Scrap of a Black Lion-Ticket.
That way these players would have to do 10 Dailies to get 1 full Ticket or basically a month of dailies to get 3 Full Tickets, whats in most of the cases still not enough to get 1 of the older Ticket Weapon Skins… and i talk about just 1… people who want to have more weapons of a certain skin would have to work naturally alot more, but that would be at least a very interestign replacement, that would be a real incentivation for people with 10k+ AP to still do the dailies at all and for peopel that don’t have yet 10k AP a nice incentivice to work a bit harder on gettign quicker to 10k AP and maybe doing something in the game they haven’t done yet to get some AP quicker together.

No, if you have more than 10k achievement points you can still get daily achievement points. It’s when you have 10k achievement points from dailies themselves, which is not all your achievement points.

You can see how many of your achievement points are from dailies by going to your achievement panel and mousing over your actual score.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

ok, have understood it by now..
However, it will be a limitation, it just takes more time than i thought it would take, until everyone one day hits on this AP limit.

5k for Months, if you do every month 5 Achievement,s thats 50 Points. It would take literally then 100 Months, or 8,3 period years

If you do every day at least 5 achievements, it would require of a player 2000 days to reach that cap, or other said 5,5 years uprounded based on those taken numbers for the calculations.
If you do naturally more than 5 achievements every single day, it will go faster.

If everything works like this, then we will be faaaaaar aways on hittign these limit caps.
So far away, that I’d say, the whole change is completely pointless as it will affect for sure just only a tiny number of players maybe.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The cap is needed because of several issues:
1) exploits which allowed you to gain additional daily achievement points
2) making permanent/one time achievements more meaningful again
3) making leaderboard more competive again and not just time spent per day (~6h for all dailies)

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.