Ability to Move/Swap Weapon Abilities?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smog.6347

Smog.6347

Since keybinds are account wide, I find myself constantly frustrated with my keybinds. While one setup is ideal for one of my characters, it isn’t for another.

To make matters worse, even when sticking to one class for a while, keybinds can never be ideal for every weapon. A leap-like ability for one weapon is a different key for different weapons. My muscle memory is not pleased by this.

The best fix I can think of would be the ability to move/swap weapon abilities. Is there any possibility this feature may one day be added?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I would really like to see weapon skill slot reassignment made available to players once all of the weapon skills for that weapon are unlocked. It is unlikely to ever happen though, sadly. :\

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Get better muscle memory? I don’t know, I’ve never had a problem with this.

That said, wouldn’t the more obvious thing to ask for be, let keybinds me character bound instead of account bound? I would love for that to be a thing because then I could have my F4 be bound to 14 instead of mouse button 11 on everything but my ranger by binding F4 to a different key just for my rangers.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I was able to solve this problem by not using the keyboard for basic skill casting like I do in other games. Instead, I binded my keys to literally everything else, so that casting skills was the only thing in the entire game I have to use the mouse for.

Although I still have autoattack bound to R and weaponswap to E, because these need to be spammed in combat situations (especially vs. stealth).

People look down upon clickers but lets be honest, this game has an absolutely horrible skill bar in comparison to other games. It is the most limited, frustrating piece of garbage to have ever been seen outside of an FPS game.

The developers of GW2 really haven’t a slightest clue about UI design…

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Smog.6347

Smog.6347

Get better muscle memory? I don’t know, I’ve never had a problem with this.

That said, wouldn’t the more obvious thing to ask for be, let keybinds me character bound instead of account bound? I would love for that to be a thing because then I could have my F4 be bound to 14 instead of mouse button 11 on everything but my ranger by binding F4 to a different key just for my rangers.

Why does it have to be one or the other? How about weapon skill slot reassignment as well as chararacter bound keybinds?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I suppose, it just seems like unbinding to account is more likely to be considered and implemented.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: southbeatz.2780

southbeatz.2780

The problem here is that in many other MMOs I’ve played you get 1 or 2 weapons and then simply many variations of the same weapon so the skills are more universal and can easily be moved around on a skill bar. I don’t really see the problem with the current bindings though.

I use 1,2,3,4,5 for my weapons then Q to heal, Tab for a utility skill, E for elite and mouse button 4,5 on my mouse for the first 2 utility skills. F to interact, T to call target, U to take target etc etc. It’s all quite simple really, just change some bindings and get used to them.

If your brain cannot remember key bindings then I really don’t know what else to say right now.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

The problem here is that in many other MMOs I’ve played you get 1 or 2 weapons and then simply many variations of the same weapon so the skills are more universal and can easily be moved around on a skill bar. I don’t really see the problem with the current bindings though.

I use 1,2,3,4,5 for my weapons then Q to heal, Tab for a utility skill, E for elite and mouse button 4,5 on my mouse for the first 2 utility skills. F to interact, T to call target, U to take target etc etc. It’s all quite simple really, just change some bindings and get used to them.

If your brain cannot remember key bindings then I really don’t know what else to say right now.

And how many classes do you play regularly? Because they are all quite different. Even on the same class, the skills can change dramatically (e.g Engi with 2+ kits).

So you remember keybinds for every single weapon, and every single kit, and every single summoned item on every single class that you play?

Because that is the topic of the thread.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

Its always hard in the beginning but you will get used to it,

Posted by: southbeatz.2780

southbeatz.2780

Actually yea, it’s easy to remember every skill on every weapon on every class including the engineer kits and weapons. Maybe I just have a good memory but if you use them enough you’ll probably remember them all. I preferred to focus as much as possible on a character while leveling it. I think that helped remember the skills and I also thoroughly tried every weapon combination while leveling to decide on what to use at level 80.

By time I would get a character to level 80 I would know everything about it. Sure it could be better, like on a MMO called Tera you could fully customize the skill bars per character and it saved it separately per character including the fully customizable UI. I would have said Anet would never consider addressing this but they did address a few things with the feature update a while back so maybe they would one day.

I personally just remember all of it and am fine with it but the option to further customize should be there for people to use if they want. I think i know what the OP is truly referring to now though but it’s still just a matter of remembering and using a character enough to remember.

On Guardian with GS, skill 3 is a leap attack but on Warrior with main hand sword skill 2 is a leap attack, on Ranger with main hand sword skill 2 is a retreat into a leap attack.

On Ranger with dagger in offhand skill 5 throws the dagger while on Thief with offhand dagger skill 4 throws the dagger.

I don’t think Anet put much, if any time into deciding what skill is for what number but it is what it is. There has been talk about this and the UI for a long time, from time to time but I haven’t seen where Anet has ever even acknowledged this before. I am fine with the skills myself but I would like the UI to be customizable, movable etc which likely would include being able to move skills around for each weapon combination per character.

I don’t say to just remember it and do this or that to remember it better just to say it. Anet may never care to do anything about this so it’s best to just remember the skills on the different classes and weapons. I don’t always have a lot of time to get in the game but when I can i usually try to do something on each character even if it’s simple gathering and kill some mobs while doing so.

That’s a good way to keep the variation of skills fresh in mind more long term. The skills are part of the UI and I think it’s a horribly flashy UI when it could be far less flashy and far more useful. Most MMOs I’ve played aside from GW2 when it comes to the skills, they usually have basic looking squares where the skills go but on GW2 they have pictures, animations etc and on Guardian the aura looking thing over the skill bar.

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

+1 it would be nice to keybind differently every character’s and every weapon’s abilities. Or at least move them around on the bar.

Note: Funny things happening if you are not careful! Not long ago my ranger was lucky enough to get a Conjured Frost Bow on a top of the wall of a tower attacked by a large zerg. I was casting FB#4 on CD to repel the attackers. Unfortunately the FB disappeared and I was standing there pressing the Greatsword #4 ability.

So I was flying into the middle of the zerg with widely spread wings and idiot expression

#I no words have"