About Legendaries

About Legendaries

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

It’s been a big turnoff for me that precursors are either purchased from the TP or acquired through RNG. It also bothers me that they are not account bound, and that legendaries are not account bound. This means that if I have a legendary, I didn’t necessarily do the work – I could have just applied my credit card to the gem store.

Because of this, I’ve no desire to put any effort whatsoever into obtaining a legendary.

Now I realize that, however dodgy and distasteful this setup is, ArenaNet are not going to change it as long as people with credit limits are spending hundreds on these things. It’s all about the money.

So, what I’d like to know is, how many of you out there are like me, and would be more interested in a legendary if it couldn’t be bought? If it could only be worked for?

If some legendaries were only account bound, and had precursors that were only account bound, would you be interested? If they took the RNG out of obtaining the precursor and, rather, made it a difficult Mystic Forge recipe instead, whose components were also primarily account bound?

If there were legendaries like this, would those folks who, like me, have no interest in the current legendaries, be more interested? If you could have a legendary that could only be earned, and not bought, would that be more meaningful to you?

(edited by Chuo.4238)

About Legendaries

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Definitely. At least then I’d know the person with the Legendary had put in some effort.
Additionally, I’d like to reduce the amount of pre-requisite materials used in crafting a Legendary that can be bought with karma, gold or tokens.
I’d like more components that are account bound rewards for completing long and complex personal questlines.
Most people with Legendaries at the moment have got them through some degree of grind or outright buying them for cash. Either that or early get-rich-quick schemes that are now not available thanks to ArenaNet closing the loopholes associated with them.

There’s nothing Legendary about them any more, and I see them everywhere on my server (mostly Dusk; OMG BLACK DARK GRITTY COOL SHINY).

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

About Legendaries

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

If you could have a legendary that could only be earned, and not bought, would that be more meaningful to you?

No. It would be as worthless to me as it is right now.

1) These are weapons who force you to use a +stat combination of Power/Vitality/Toughness. Unless that’s your chosen character build, the weapon is just dead weight in the mechanics department.

2) You have to treasure the visual appearance of these weapons. To be frank, I’m not the most impressed with them. For every one of my current characters, I can find a better looking weapon skill through another means. These might be dungeon weapons, mystic forge special weapons, or other such things.

3) Legendary weapons require an immense time investment. The idea of their damage spread always upgrading to be BIS is really a gamble. At the expense of investing X time right now, you’ll save a net of Y time over the coming years. Yes, you’ll probably come out ahead of the time investment curve over the next couple of years. But that’s a big investment in the short term for a game that you might get tired of within the next 6 months.

4) There is a history of precursor weapons not being upgradeable once you use them with a Transmutation stone (in order to get a better set of weapons stats for your character). My personal guess is that people will encounter the same kinds of issues when it comes time for the Legendary weapons to have their base damage upgraded to match the upcoming Ascended weapons (when ever ArenaNet actually releases them).

5) Basically these items exist for the brag factor. Yes, ArenaNet did create an account achievement for getting your 1st Legendary weapon. But unless you care about that achievement or want to show off, the interest in these weapons are extremely niche.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

About Legendaries

Posted by: Kaeden.6952

Kaeden.6952

Well, considering at current market price if you convert gems to gold $35 gets you 50 g, that means 2250/50 = 45 * $35 = $1575

Well I agree that with almost all of the mats just being a shopping list and it cheapens my legendary’s appeal, I am also getting tired of the "you can whip out a credit card and “win” argument. Yea 1 random guy with more $$ then brains might pay $1575 for one, but I am willing to be most people did actually earn that in game cash, just like I did, by grinding (yes I said the “G” word) our kittens off

I spent 10 hrs a day for 2 months straight in orr, I hit DR so many times it wasn’t even funny. It was my choice, I wanted the legendary. I “paid the price” so to speak.

And I hate to break it to you but I dont think Anet cares if you find the legendary appealing, as the above guy stated he “sees them everywhere” on his server, so it seems like a lot of people do find them appealing.

Not defending Anet by any means, terrible setup for a legendary system, but there is no point in crying over spilt milk. The system aint gonna change.

About Legendaries

Chuo.4238

Not defending Anet by any means, terrible setup for a legendary system, but there is no point in crying over spilt milk. The system aint gonna change.

I certainly don’t expect them to change the existing legendaries, but I can dream that they’ll add some more that not only look good, are also only earnable ingame, and not via the TP.

About Legendaries

Posted by: Kaeden.6952

Kaeden.6952

I certainly don’t expect them to change the existing legendaries, but I can dream that they’ll add some more that not only look good, are also only earnable ingame, and not via the TP.

One can only hope my friend, diversity is never a bad thing

About Legendaries

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Have you done the math to see just how expensive it would be to acquire a legendary for $?

Do you think there are hundreds of players out there willing to shell that kind of money?

I’d prefer it if they were account bound but I don’t really care. If you think I bought my legendaries for $, then I’m not gonna bother wasting my time defending myself and trying to convince you otherwise. I know I got it fair and I think that’s all that matters.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

About Legendaries

Chuo.4238

Have you done the math to see just how expensive it would be to acquire a legendary for $?

Do you think there are hundreds of players out there willing to shell that kind of money?

Let’s call it $1500 USD. If buying a copy of GW2 costs $60, that’s the same as selling 25 new copies of GW2.

And believe me, there are people out there with either that kind of money or that kind of poor judgement (depending on the situation). I’m not saying that they are by any means a large percentage of the GW2 population, but then all people who have legendaries already, aquired through whatever means, are not a large percentage of the GW2 population.

But you just never know who’s who, and even the possibility that someone could buy one is a turnoff. In the same sense that some people would consider a piece of gear with 1% stat increase a big deal (and they do). It’s a very small difference, but it also makes all the difference.

Anyway, I’m trying to suss out if there are people like me who want a legendary that looks good, and can’t be bought on the TP.

About Legendaries

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

just 1 question:
why everyone states they don’t bother with legendary grind, legendary rng, legendary effort, legendary credit cards, but they always open and answer to thread like this?
so OP if you don’t find legendary weapons appealing as it is (and btw they are obtainable in game and you need account bound crafting material to make them and the only karma, fractal, laurels mats you can buy are the obsidian shards, all the rest you can acquire doing everything else in the game that gives you mats or money to buy mats), why bother players that are putting their efforts there and they may also enjoy the process to do it?

and what’s with this it should be difficoult to get? what does it means difficoult? acquaring all stack of all high mats in the game is difficoult, or are you asking for a boss killing that is difficoult only on paper? or maybe it’s a lame excuse to add raids in the game? or maybe a scavenger hunt that means just type it in google search?

you know what? i prefer to buy precursor with gold or by rng at least it can be done by myself and it’s not easy at all!

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride