About damage types, a little/big problem

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tilarta.9812

Tilarta.9812

Recently I was wandering through Skrittsburgh (Stuff Stuff Stuff!) and the Champion Destroyer Crab popped up nearby.

I immediately ran over to fight it and switched to my longbow, because I wasn’t going to fight it up close.

Then I saw the text “Immune to Burning”.

If my character had a sadface emote, she would have used it!

My sword inflicts Fire damage and 3 out of my 5 longbow skills also set the enemies on fire!

I basically spent the entire battle using the 2 longbow skills that didn’t involve fire.

In Guild Wars 1, I had a solution for this problem.
I carried 4 weapons:

Fire Sword
Ice Sword
Fiery Longbow
Icy Longbow

So, if I ran across a Fire Resistant enemy, I just switched to the appropriate weapon and continued on fighting as normal.

But I don’t know if that works in GW2.
Heck, I don’t even know if they have Icy Weapons!

Or Fiery ones for that matter, the only reason my sword burns things is a HoM unlock.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

You can certainly switch your bows over, out of combat… but this requires knowing that something is immune to “x” in advance of entering in to a fight.

Tilarta.9812

Yes, in theory, I could carry a Flame Sword and an Icy Sword (if the latter exists, I haven’t seen one yet).

But unfortunately, this won’t work with longbows!

My skills determine the damage being inflicted, not the weapon itself.
So even if I had an Icy Longbow, it’d still inflict Fire Damage.

If I’d been designing this, I’d design the weapon skills to take their damage from the weapon being used.

For example, if you had an Icy Longbow, your Fire Attacks switch to Ice Attacks.

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

Are you a warrior? NPCs that are immune to burning are not immune to fire damage so your sword would probably have been ok. I’ve killed Embers and Destroyers with my longbow. All the warrior longbow attacks do damage other than burning damage, except for the burst skill.

If you’re not a warrior then ignore me :P

Tilarta.9812

Yes, I’m a warrior.

Now I’m very confused.

Burning and fire are not the same?

Posted by: Dyroth.5063

Dyroth.5063

Warrior 3 skill on the bow does damage and has no burn. 2 skill burns but still does initial damage. The burn condition is what the mob is immune to, not skills that are fire based.

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

If it makes you feel any better, blind immune dredge kitten me just as hard as a thief. Oh, you’re a squishy class that relies almost entirely on blinds to survive? Well screw you, buddy.