About gw2 music and music folder

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I want to start this topic saying that GW2 has an amazing and beautiful soundtrack, I love many of the songs we haved ingame and the quality is really good. It’s one of my favorite osts in MMOs, and videogames in general.
That being said, I read a while ago it was possible to change the music played in game by accesing the music folder and putting playlist files in there. I don’t want to change the music itself, but I’d love to change the order on them (like putting some darker music from dungeons at night), But I haven’t been able to find the music folder. People say it’s right next to the screenshots folder but I can’t find it in there.

Also. I’d love if field music (meaning music that plays in the open, outside cities) would be more specific to the place you’re in, like having music for snowy areas, for swamps, for deserts, for beaches etc. Sometimes it’s a bit anticlimatic when I’m in a creepy swamp at night and there is a beautiful happy calm music playing.

I’d love any help on this

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

It doesn’t exist by default, you create it.

I used this to learn how to do it. Unless you download some of the original in game music and mix it into your custom play lists, then it’s been my experience it doesn’t play. If I feel like listening to the original music, I’ll rename my ‘music’ folder to ‘music custom’, and restart the game. If I feel like listening to my custom music, then I rename ‘music custom’ back to ‘music’ and restart the game.

I suppose you could include original music by incorporating it into your play lists, though I don’t know how to go about acquiring it.

coso.9173

aw that sucks, it means I would have to download all ingame music if I want to edit just a few songs.
thanks though. I guess it’s easier to just mute the music and manually select another song from youtube or something :/

coso.9173

forgot to ask, what if I create the folder and I only put a playlist for nighttime? would that work to only pick music from the folder when it needs to use nighttime? or if I create the folder I need to put all playlists in there or I will have silence when it needs a missing playlist?

notebene.3190

forgot to ask, what if I create the folder and I only put a playlist for nighttime? would that work to only pick music from the folder when it needs to use nighttime? or if I create the folder I need to put all playlists in there or I will have silence when it needs a missing playlist?

I think if you don’t have a specific list, it plays the internal one.

coso.9173

oh then it could work, thanks! I’ll try that

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s a big problem with the user list – it’s far less nuanced than the internal one. You cannot, for example, have a region(or location)-specific music – all the playlists are more or less generic. Moreover, if there was such a specific internal music, the user-defined generic playlist that covers the right category will override it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

coso.9173

ah, yeah I know, there’s one list for field during day and other during night, not much else XD I mainly want to use the quieter and creepier songs for the night. Sometimes it’s too happy and calm

notebene.3190

ah, yeah I know, there’s one list for field during day and other during night, not much else XD I mainly want to use the quieter and creepier songs for the night. Sometimes it’s too happy and calm

My main night track.