About how many players are logged in at once?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Braxton.3926

Braxton.3926

Hi..

Just was curious if there was an estimate as to how many players are logged into Guild Wars 2 at any given time?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

No offense, but these threads never end well.

ArenaNet will (justifiably) never tell.

About half the players will tell you high numbers.

The other half will tell you very few.

In the end, it will just be the “game is dying” and “game is just fine” groups arguing with one another one more time.

No real point (again, no offense to the OP intended).

Braxton.3926

Okay. Makes sense.

Hopefully it won’t be dying.

Posted by: floude.5291

floude.5291

Okay. Makes sense.

Hopefully it won’t be dying.

Let me tell you how is your hopes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMlFXouPk8

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

No offense, but these threads never end well.

ArenaNet will (justifiably) never tell.

About half the players will tell you high numbers.

The other half will tell you very few.

In the end, it will just be the “game is dying” and “game is just fine” groups arguing with one another one more time.

No real point (again, no offense to the OP intended).

When the Chinese GW2 publisher was referencing the GW2 population, I told people how unrealistic the concurrent players number is. And everyone start bashing me on reddit.

If you take a game like Eve, they only have 1/10th of concurrent players compare to their subscriber at any given time.

Also if you have an account with low AP. You’ll notice a huge percent of players very low AP with the scoring board(I’m not sure if you can still do it now)

You’ll never know the answer, unless Anet are willing to release number. The only thing I can say is GW2 is still one of the top played mmorpg on the market right now. That is obvious.

Braxton.3926

How nice of you…

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

GW2 won’t be dead for a long time. There is a huge drought of good MMO’s out there. They are either poorly designed, monetized(Huge factor), or unfinished(underfunded). GW2 for all it’s issues at least got it’s monetization right and had a solid leveling design. It’s the post-launch development that’s been dragging GW2 down, but given how it’s monetized it’s not going to die. If GW2 had a subscription it would have been toast already, but it doesn’t so people will still keep popping in to see the new stuff or play WvW for a few hours a month.

Don’t expect anything to kill GW2 or for it to die until at least another big MMO comes out. On my radar that’s either going to be EQN, Blizzards Titan, or at a much slimmer chance The Division. Destiny will probably be huge, but that’s consoles so it won’t have a huge impact here. EQN looks likely since it is F2P, but that could get flipped on it’s head with P2W. I’d still bank on EQN though, they are really listening and communicating with their potential customers. Plus 40 classes sounds fun :P

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

40 classes wut?! can i be a baker in there or something?

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

Is EQN being run by SOE? If so, I wouldn’t bank on it taking over. SOE wasn’t capable of balancing the relatively few classes in EQ1, let alone anything as ambitious as 40 classes.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Hi..

Just was curious if there was an estimate as to how many players are logged into Guild Wars 2 at any given time?

Hi Braxton, have you looked at the latest Raptr stats?
http://caas.raptr.com/most-played-pc-games-july-2014-summers-winners-and-losers/
GW2 is in the top 20 list!

Now, you might call BS on it, however, look at the relative percentages to the other games within the stats, then compare with the Steam stats:
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
Beware not all the games in the Raptr list is in the Steam list because those games aren’t released on Steam.

You’ll notice eg. DOTA2 ~2-3 times the numbers of Counter Strike, CS ~4 times higher than Civ 4, etc, so the Raptr stats do seem to provide a reasonable estimate in terms of relative positions.
Now looking at where GW2 lies in the Raptr ranking, it’s about the same as Garry’s Mod, Civ4, Skyrim, so looking at those games concurrency, you get peak of ~50k-60k and normal of ~20-30k, so GW2 is probably around those number, so it’s fairly small.

On a side note, NCSoft have released their latest earnings, where the outlook is good/stable.
Summarized on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2diwg3/ncsoft_earnings_2q_14/

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

According to NCSoft figures, GW2, which has no sub and is almost 2 years old, almost performed well as an hyped up, purchase & sub game’s launch. Wherever you go for figures, or revenue, GW2 ranks highly. It scores in the top 5 for est. revenues in free to play games and it’s not even free to play. Whatever anyone thinks of GW2s’ direction, it’s still making a lot of money and indications are that it is very healthy.

Actually, its very success might even be why the direction is splitting the community. The model is too successful to change, and the secret content ANet are working on could be changing/undermined/delayed by this very fact.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

An even more interesting number would be how many Cypress saplings are logged in Gw2 at any given time.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

An even more interesting number would be how many Cypress saplings are logged in Gw2 at any given time.

Why? Wanna buy some? lol