About lodestones and scarcity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ovan.5947

ovan.5947

Hi all,

first of all, sorry about my english, it ain’t my main language so i guess i’m bond to make mistakes.

So there are loads of topics about the economy changes that will come with HoT, but there’s something i don’t really understand.

It has been said that, basically, prices of T5 (like thick leather) will rise since Anet wants to make them reach silk’s price (at least, more financially interesting that today). That, i do believe is a good idea since it will make these mats a little bit less worthless, eventhough some people will argue that they’ll need more money to craft weapons/armors/ascended etc… And, well, they are certainly right about that. But that ain’t my point.

Now, what about lodestones? Looking at this market, and especially on the charged one, changes have started and i don’t get the reason.

It seems that we are now assuming that charged lodestones will see their scarcity reduced. Why would that be? Why wouldn’t it be the opposite, as in, charged lodestones stay the way they are, but the other lodestones become more desirable ?

I know that John Smith talked specifically about the charged core/lode when he answered some questions and that could be the main reason of the sudden change in what was a stable market. But why would you have t5 prices rise when you could make lodestones sink? Wouldn’t it be more logical to make lodestones’ prices reach at least 1g/each? As it stands, glacial and crystal lodestones are utterly useless or near to be.

Another point that make the current assumption strange is that, if you look at the whole market, there is twice the amount of any lodestones (except for crystal & destroyer) in charged lodestones to sell on the market. And the demand is about the same than all the others.
Plus, since i don’t see people asking for lodestones, except charged, to drop more often, i guess the drop rate is fine.

So is it really the charged lodestones/cores’prices that are a problem or is it that all the others are that much less desirable?

I do believe it’s the latter, what do you guys think?

TLDR : Why would charged lodestones’s price sink and why wouldn’t the price of the other lodestones rise? Scarcity is nice when it exists, but here, iI feel it’s more of a “desirable or not” case.

Thanks for reading btw.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Hi all,

Now, what about lodestones? Looking at this market, and especially on the charged one, changes have started and i don’t get the reason.

Somebody who had charged lodestones is dumping them.

Maybe he just wanted money.

It’s all speculation at this point. Even those with insider information are just speculating.

It looks like CoE is getting nerfed, & karma is getting nerfed, & spirit shards were nerfed. That’s three major sources of charged lodestones all nerfed. So even if charged lodestones pop up as a map reward or something, it could all even out on the supply side.

But there’s the demand side too. If the HoT new shiny doesn’t need charged lodestone, I don’t see how they keep their high demand.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Wouldn’t it be more logical to make lodestones’ prices reach at least 1g/each? As it stands, glacial and crystal lodestones are utterly useless or near to be.

John Smith (& Guild Wars 2) likes RNG.

So if you get a Lodestone Bag (from a karma converter or elsewhere), you can get a charged lodestone ($$) if you are lucky, or a Crystal Lodestone (not used to craft any pretty weapons) if you are unlucky…. or a Pile of Putrid Essence (6 silver, nearly useless) if you are really unlucky.

And they like it that way.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: ovan.5947

ovan.5947

Hey, thanks for the answer.

But i had also reach that conclusion concerning the market.

But it ain’t really what i’m trying to understand

It’s more about the logic behind the assumption that made hoarders consider not hoarding anymore.

As you said, many of their drop sources are getting a nerf. Maybe it will even out with the new map reward system, we will see. but even if it did, that wouldn’t make the price sink.

Considering shinies, you’re right there. But old legendaries are still here. Since you can get their precursor, the demand will still be high for charged lodestones, maybe more than now since what kept people from crafting legendaries was, i guess, more the precursor than the mats.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Well, generally speaking, the availability of rare items should go up because of map rewards. Perhaps they think the price will be dropping and they are dumping before that happens.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

tl;dr hoarders are selling off their stored items in anticipation of presumed changes, before the market drops even faster.

I started selling off low-drop rate items a few months ago, since ANet has been telling us for nearly a year that they plan on messing around with acquisition. I sold skins that only appeared once, power cores, and so on. My profits were plenty — and would have been higher if I had waited, except I knew this day would arrive and didn’t want to risk the chance of losing it all. (As I did with e.g. the Mystic Forge Conduit and Eternity.)

This week, with J Smith’s announcement, a lot of people are expecting the same thing and are selling off low-drop rate and other scarce items in the expectation that prices will drop quickly once the new economy is in full swing.

This might turn out to be a mistake, but in the meantime: I have the extra gold and I can afford it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Hi all,

Somebody who had charged lodestones is dumping them.

Maybe he just wanted money.

It’s all speculation at this point. Even those with insider information are just speculating.

It looks like CoE is getting nerfed, & karma is getting nerfed, & spirit shards were nerfed. That’s three major sources of charged lodestones all nerfed. So even if charged lodestones pop up as a map reward or something, it could all even out on the supply side.

But there’s the demand side too. If the HoT new shiny doesn’t need charged lodestone, I don’t see how they keep their high demand.

You need lots of them for infinite light, bolt, and especially Mjolnir which combines the charged lodestone criteria for the mentioned swords (gift of lighting + 250 charged lodestones, meaning a total of 350 charged lodestones thus forcing one to grind, grind, and grind for gold to obtain them.)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The current price of charged lodestones is reflected largely by the demand. There are many sought after items that use them. Its price should not be based off what the other lodestones sell for.

The new map reward system is what will be driving down the cost of a lot of these rare items as players now have a way to specific target these items rather than rely on RNG. For charged lodestones, there were ways to farm them (e.g. elementals, CoE) but there was a large amount of RNG. The same can be said about giants eyes as well.

Posted by: XYLUM.7286

XYLUM.7286

This climate of constant nerfing is one of the most annoying things about Guild Wars 2, and is the biggest contributing factor that has lead myself, and the friends that I play with, to take long breaks from GW2, some friends have left to other games and have zero interest in returning….ever.

It seems like Anet’s answer to everything is to nerf things into the ground.

The living story content used to keep the game somewhat interesting, but since that has all been held back and bundled with some core game changes and marketed as an expansion, the game has become really stale for me, and a lot of others, I’m sure.

I used to really enjoy the game, and didn’t mind the grinding so much as there always seemed to be something new that I could grind away at when one thing got monotonous, anymore I log in, try to run a level 50 fractal, craft the time gated ascended mats and either do a couple world bosses, a couple stale dungeon paths or grind some gold at whatever the current farm is for about 30 mins or so before I get so bored and uninspired that I wind up logging off.

Despite my feelings about the value of the expansion, I had decided I would give in and buy it at launch for no other reason then the raid content… then I read that the raid content will come at some later date after launch.

Sorry if my train went off the tracks a little bit here, but it just sort of felt like a swift kick in the kittens to hear that COE as well as Karma were both gonna get nerfs just to manipulate the market price of lodestones… It’s really just another brick in the wall that I am sitting on, looking for another game to dive into.

I hope that something amazing happens, and Anet shows some love to the people that supported this game, the company and all of it’s employees for the past few years instead of the continued nerfing and cash grabbing pettiness that has been the bulk of our interactions for the best part of the last year.

The only fresh content that has been offered since the announcement of HOT was that pathetic mordrem event, the one where none of the mobs, not even the champions dropped ANY loot…. NONE whatsoever.

If that is an indicator of what the future of GW2 content looks like… I think it’s safe to say that there will be a sharp decline in the veteran and/or more hardcore player population.

But, maybe the idea is to chase those players away, and replace them with a more casual type of player that prefers to buy their loot with cash then to earn it in game…

I guess time will tell.

Please, Anet, give me a reason to play again.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

But, maybe the idea is to chase those players away, and replace them with a more casual type of player that prefers to buy their loot with cash then to earn it in game…

Now your eyes are open.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!