About the New Trait System

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RodrigoEu.6701

RodrigoEu.6701

Q:

Will we still be able to select adept traits in the master or grandmaster trait slots?

Posted by: gereden.6983

gereden.6983

from the looks of things no

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

From: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-one-a-primer/

“…a character will be able to select a single trait for each tier to help customize that specialization. By locking traits to tiers and reducing the overall number of traits, we’ve made each choice much more compelling.”

Locked by tier.

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

From: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-one-a-primer/

“…a character will be able to select a single trait for each tier to help customize that specialization. By locking traits to tiers and reducing the overall number of traits, we’ve made each choice much more compelling.”

Locked by tier.

Sounds a lot like the old system where you had to put 30 trait points in the line in order to receive a Grandmaster, but even then you could only pick just one.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

The “Less choice is more” philosophy seems to be Anet’s thinking. NPE 2.0!

Duty is heavier than death.

RodrigoEu.6701

The problem is that i use a full trait line on my mesmer and in that line i have no grandmaster trait, instead i use master trait on that slot because it fits my play-style.

If we cant use lower tier traits on higher tier trait slots we’re forced to choose between traits, rather than using the combination we want.

:(

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might desire the new traits that are coming, more than the old ones you used before. Thus, the sad-face may be premature.

It may be best to wait until all information is released. =)

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Also they have mentioned traits will be merged, shifted, or altered to skills. Wait for more info.

Posted by: MeththeMadman.7420

MeththeMadman.7420

I mean, I understand some skepticism, but why not wait until you know how this is actually going to work before getting bent out of shape? With the re-worked traits, this may work out in everyone’s favor. Beyond that, they could be buffing the snot out of the GM/Ma traits to make them more desirable than the adept would ever be.

I feel like there’s a lot of grumbling that could be for naught at the moment.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They’re apparently still convinced that everything is too complicated and hard in the game so they’re simplifying every system and putting players on rails.

They don’t seem to get that people who play RPGs like some level of complexity because it helps you feel invested in the game, resulting in better immersion and compelling gameplay. All these changes do is drive off RPG fans while failing to bring non-RPG fans into the game.

I’m not raging as we simply don’t have enough information yet, but I’m not happy about the idea of being forced into utilizing the trait system in a very specific way and losing the ability to have freeform builds. It’s like hiring a smart person to do a job and then stifling them with micromanagement. It. doesn’t. work.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Will we still be able to select adept traits in the master or grandmaster trait slots?

No, you only need to look at the picture to see exactly how that’s going to work. You get three clusters of three traits. Rather than choosing from a drop down you just have the three options at that spot and nothing else.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

RodrigoEu.6701

I guess i’ll wait and see what else Arena Net says about the new trait system…

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Wait like 2.5 hours and you’ll have your answer on the live stream.

RodrigoEu.6701

Well, i guess it’s not as bad as i was thinking…
Some Traits are actually better!
They might still improve it and maybe then i wont have problems with 2 traits on the same tier.

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

The problem is that i use a full trait line on my mesmer and in that line i have no grandmaster trait, instead i use master trait on that slot because it fits my play-style.

If we cant use lower tier traits on higher tier trait slots we’re forced to choose between traits, rather than using the combination we want.

:(

Same, and I am very worried about this for the same reason.

RodrigoEu.6701

Let’s hope they don’t destroy our builds…
:/