Account Activation Birthday Gifts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CookieCraft.2915

CookieCraft.2915

Q:

I have recently been contemplating deleting my characters to perform the free of charge server transfer, and during this period one of my issues has been the fact that, as a player of the game since August 2012, I will lose all progress in birthday gifts that my character has. This is a shame as I rather like the idea of getting new minis. I was wondering why the birthday timer is done from character creation date instead of bound to your account activation date, as this would prevent people acquiring the un-necessary extra scrolls and minis from alts, and allow people like me to keep progress when deleting characters.
It also seems as though this was your original intention for the system reading through the mail as it specifically mentions account activation, not character creation! I was wondering if you would ever implement this and if not why? What was the reason for changing to the character bound system? Thanks
-A loyal player

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

1.) You will not get new minis, you get the same Queen Jennah mini
2.) Because the birthday is based on character, not account. That’s the way Anet designed it. It’s impossible for Anet to design a system based on account. How would they base it? On first log-in? On purchase?
3.) If you have played since August 2012, I really don’t know why you would want to delete all you characters just for a server transfer. Server transfers are really meant for WvW-oriented players, or players who are too inconvenienced to guest. I think it’s a waste at throwing away all the hard work you’ve done since release.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I can’t imagine deleting any of my characters. Especially, the level 80s. Why don’t you just buy gems and transfer normally? You can use gold if you don’t want to waste actual money.

CookieCraft.2915

Just to clarify, the reason I am transferring is I want to move over to NA servers seeing as the community over there is currently far stronger than on the EU side and it is the only place at the moment where anyone I know is currently playing, this means that I physically can’t guest over due to the way guesting works. On top of this I cannot really afford the cost of 1800 gems at the moment in gold or cash as both are rather high for a simple server transfer. Also you may have misunderstood my point about the birthday gifts (I did explain quite poorly)? What my point was, was the fact that from deleting any of my characters, I will lose all progress I get towards the 2 year anniversary of it, ultimately meaning that I will be a year and a bit behind in birthday mini’s. The reason I personally think it would be better to base it off account activation date or first character creation date, is because that would mean that you don’t end up with multiple level 20 scrolls you’ll never use and multiple duplicates of the same mini and it would allow people like me not having to worry about doing this sort of thing, seeing is the only thing I am losing is the fact that I will have to level up to 80 again, which I personally don’t mind doing.
Thanks

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But it would also mean getting 1 birthday booster instead of one for each character. I like those boosters.

Posted by: Gbok.1039

Gbok.1039

If I was in your situation I might just consider buying a new account for NA.

ANET seem to be running discounts all the time now and that way if you ever need to move back you still have you other account in EU.

Fort AspenwoodSoul Exodus[Soul] Finxx – 80 Ranger

CookieCraft.2915

That is a good point that I didn’t think of, but could they not give you multiple in your present maybe? I don’t know.
Thanks

CookieCraft.2915

And that is a good point considering I also get the extra character slots associated with the second account

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Or go through your bank and see how much selling everything in the collectables would net you in gold for a transfer. You’d be surprised how much you can gain from those idly deposited items.

CookieCraft.2915

I have checked and I currently have about 90g from super skins I bought before they skyrocketed, shame I used a couple of the skins I bought or I would now have around 160g :/. I have decided against transferring, but I still think that the account bound system would be better.
Thanks