Account visibility/location- against stalkers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Sounds like the OP has more than enough evidence to go the local police and let them contact Anet with warrants for the stalkers info.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Sounds like the OP has more than enough evidence to go the local police and let them contact Anet with warrants for the stalkers info.

except that it seems to be online (dunno bout RL) and they should just get the dude banned or a new account.

JediYoda.1275

except that it seems to be online (dunno bout RL) and they should just get the dude banned or a new account.

So? it doesn’t matter if its online just like in real life there are laws against this type of behavior, Cyberstalking and Cyberharassment Laws vary from to state to state and country.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/cyberstalking-and-cyberharassment-laws.aspx

mcwurth.2081

So? it doesn’t matter if its online just like in real life there are laws against this type of behavior, Cyberstalking and Cyberharassment Laws vary from to state to state and country.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/cyberstalking-and-cyberharassment-laws.aspx

American laws…. there are many european laws as well. still should get the dude banned and/or get a new account. what they do real life I do not care about that. thats up to them.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Wait blocking doesn’t prevent them from seeing if you are online or not? That isn’t right. It needs to be a full block. No way to see where you are and if you are online. And I’ll assume that they are not in the same guild and if they are they would be guild kicked.

This seems simple enough, give a block more power to avoid these types of creeps. This is a very very reasonable request and it sucks that it isn’t already a feature. Besides if you block a person you generally don’t want to be associated with them ever and it should never happen.

JediYoda.1275

American laws…. there are many european laws as well. still should get the dude banned and/or get a new account. what they do real life I do not care about that. thats up to them.

Like I said the laws vary from state to state and country and I gave the link as proof that their are laws against this type of behavior since your post above came across, you’re not aware of such laws.

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

For some reason this whole topic makes me laugh out loud.

If you are laughing at this topic then you are either insensitive or have partaken in actions that these poor folks are describing… either way I suggest you look up the definition of empathy.

you are exactly the type that make me laugh. prejudice and idiotic statements about people you NEVER (and never will) have met and know nothing about.

He’s right. Your comment was rude, insensitive, and totally unnecessary.

grow some skin, getting a comment without anything but a statement about something makes people feel attacked on a internet forum? that makes me laugh too. very much so. Instead of giving judgement about the post, one could wonder about the why how and what. But noooooo the kitten people of gw2 do not do that, instead they feel like snowflakes in an avalanche.

Yeah…I have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

The only thing I “wonder” is how someone can get their kicks and giggles out of laughing at someone else’s distress, even online.

But then, there are things in this world that I do NOT want to understand. This is basically one of them.

Don’t worry.

I have a feeling he won’t be doing that here, for much longer.

That is one thing I will say for Anet and this forum – they don’t tolerate trolling, if it’s reported.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Maybe I missed something but blocking someone puts you as invisible to them. How can they still find you?

Yes you are missing something. Currently even if you block person he will still be able to see you online unless you go Invisible. And even after that he will still be able to stalk you through guild list (it will show location even thou your name will be greyed out).

The only thing that block currently does – prevents person from sending you in-game whispers. He still can harass you in say/map chat assuming stalker can get into the same map. He still can join your group from LFG etc etc. This is a very serious design flaw imo

1. Blocked accounts must not be able to see you online and your location/AP etc.
2. Blocked accounts must not be able to join your group from LFG.

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Maybe I missed something but blocking someone puts you as invisible to them. How can they still find you?

Yes you are missing something. Currently even if you block person he will still be able to see you online unless you go Invisible. And even after that he will still be able to stalk you through guild list (it will show location even thou your name will be greyed out).

The only thing that block currently does – prevents person from sending you in-game whispers. He still can harass you in say/map chat assuming stalker can get into the same map. He still can join your group from LFG etc etc. This is a very serious design flaw imo

1. Blocked accounts must not be able to see you online and your location/AP etc.

I agree with you, however I have to point out that in most cases you won’t be in a guild with your stalker, so they couldn’t check on you there.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Actually, if you block someone you will no longer see them in map chat, say chat, emote chat, guild chat…any sort of communication channel. You can still see their character in game if they’re right there in front of you, but the blocked person has no way to communicate with you.

As far as grouping goes…yeah that should be blocked if it isn’t already.

mcwurth.2081

If you are laughing at this topic then you are either insensitive or have partaken in actions that these poor folks are describing… either way I suggest you look up the definition of empathy.

you are exactly the type that make me laugh. prejudice and idiotic statements about people you NEVER (and never will) have met and know nothing about.

grow some skin, getting a comment without anything but a statement about something makes people feel attacked on a internet forum? that makes me laugh too. very much so. Instead of giving judgement about the post, one could wonder about the why how and what. But noooooo the kitten people of gw2 do not do that, instead they feel like snowflakes in an avalanche.

The only thing I “wonder” is how someone can get their kicks and giggles out of laughing at someone else’s distress, even online.

But then, there are things in this world that I do NOT want to understand. This is basically one of them.

Don’t worry.

That is one thing I will say for Anet and this forum – they don’t tolerate trolling, if it’s reported.

If you called that trolling…. meh do not worry clearly I got reported and it is deleted now.

Tigaseye.2047

Don’t worry.

If you called that trolling…. meh do not worry clearly I got reported and it is deleted now.

If it wasn’t trolling, all I can say is you have some pretty socially unacceptable views.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

mcwurth.2081

Don’t worry.

If it wasn’t trolling, all I can say is you have some pretty socially unacceptable views.

I really do not understand how you can make a statement like that if you have exactly 0% knowledge of my person and/or personality besides a few forum posts. Do not forget: I sit at home safely from behind my computer.

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

Don’t worry.

I really do not understand how you can make a statement like that if you have exactly 0% knowledge of my person and/or personality besides a few forum posts. Do not forget: I sit at home safely from behind my computer.

This is the context in which we interact with you. We don’t need to know anything about you outside of this context. Your comments here have despicable. That’s all we need to know know about you to form the only opinion of you we need in the context of Guild Wars 2. If you want us to draw some other conclusion about you (e.g.; “hey, he’s really an alright guy!”) then act like it.

I don’t know how old you are, but I can say that for myself, flaming and antagonizing people on the Internet on forums, on bulletin boards, and on mailing lists for laughs was a favored pastime of mine in my youth. As I grew up, I became a.) more interested in actual conversation than cheap laughs at someone else’s expense, and b.) more aware that my peers could see what I was writing online, people I actually know, and that the Internet never forgets.

Now, this advice you may shrug off with a laugh, but I can tell you that both online and off, the only truly valuable thing you have is your reputation. Your reputation is something you always want to keep positive. It it something you should always be striving not only to maintain, but to improve. These comments you’ve been making here are not maintaining or improving your reputation, quite the opposite. And remember that your account name, that follows you around with every character you play, is plastered at the top of every one of your posts.

I encourage you to continue participating in this discussion, but to do so civilly, by posting thoughtful and reasonable comments.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I do not care, once again, what anyone thinks about me, or my character,

People who don’t care about random online opinions against them do not repeatedly try to explain/defend themselves over and over and over. They simply leave the thread. But then this is the internet and everyone has to win.

mcwurth.2081

I do not care, once again, what anyone thinks about me, or my character,

People who don’t care about random online opinions against them do not repeatedly try to explain/defend themselves over and over and over. They simply leave the thread. But then this is the internet and everyone has to win.

it isn’t defending “muh opiniun to win!!!1!!11einz”
it is making a point in general, the you and I form is jus easiest to come across.

Posted by: imbalancedhero.3968

imbalancedhero.3968

Can you join a large guild and mass report the stalker if he shows up? I mean u can report someone for harassing another person (not yourself) right?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Can you join a large guild and mass report the stalker if he shows up? I mean u can report someone for harassing another person (not yourself) right?

Mass reporting doesn’t necessarily expedite any sort of action from A-net.

The other thing is, when you report, only a small aspect of them game is looked at regarding the offender. You can report for verbal abuse (which is the go-to for any harassment) but really I assume only the chat is looked at.

So actually, mass reporting could look very suspicious, without obvious cause for the report. Falsely reporting is against the rules too, and if there’s cause for concern that this is the case…

In such a complicated case, you have to take it to CS. Provide screenshots or video if you can, fully explain everything. Be as detailed as possible.

And yet the problem is, a stalker isn’t going to just quit if his account gets banned. I think in some instances that would rile the stalker up more and they would be more angry that their target is “hurting” them (if they had any particular investment in the account). The stalker would just make a new account and repeat the process.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Please can both of you folks take the petty arguments to PM or, even better, give it a rest as you are derailing a thread that is discussing a serious issue. And it is clear that neither of you is going to “win” the argument.

On topic:

ANet need to give some proper though to helping players block stalking behaviour. It should be fairly easy to extend the range of things that “block” does to prevent the blocked person from grouping up with you and seeing your location etc. If you block someone the only time you should see them is if they stand in front of you and jump up and down.

Posted by: Matt Hax.8927

Matt Hax.8927

I don’t understand a few things
How does he know that you play guild wars 2? and how does he know your nickname in game
maybe you have some spy cameras installed in you room

Tigaseye.2047

:/

Let’s hope not.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

How does he know that you play guild wars 2? and how does he know your nickname in game

From what the OP described, the stalker is someone they befriended in-game and played with for some period before the relationship turned pear-shaped.

No real mystery there.

Crimson Clouds.4853

It’s a very naive thing to assume that all stalkers are “randomers” (i.e. people you’ve never had a relationship/connection with). Most stalkers have known their stalker on a personal level, and thus know a lot of their personal details, which is one of the reasons why they are so virulent.

Posted by: Matt Hax.8927

Matt Hax.8927

It’s a very naive thing to assume that all stalkers are “randomers” (i.e. people you’ve never had a relationship/connection with). Most stalkers have known their stalker on a personal level, and thus know a lot of their personal details, which is one of the reasons why they are so virulent.

I understand your point, but making a new account with a new nickname should solve the problem, at least in game, right?

Crimson Clouds.4853

I understand your point, but making a new account with a new nickname should solve the problem, at least in game, right?

Perhaps if you re-read the OP you’d understand the complexities of the situation, and why the OP is asking for better privacy management/features in-game?

Posted by: Astrus.7480

Astrus.7480

It’s precisely for reasons like this that I’ve always been a fan of friend lists being handled by mutual agreement.

When you try to friend someone they get a popup allowing them to accept or decline the request. If they accept you are added on eachother’s friendlist, if they decline neither of you are added on either list.
If they initially accepted and later decide to remove you from their friendlist they are also removed from yours.

Sadly I don’t really see them revamping the whole friendlist system.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As I’ve said before:

• ANet has never got “invisible” status perfectly, not in GW1, not in this game.
  • Even if ANet agrees that the current tools are lackluster, they aren’t going to be able to change them quickly — it won’t be in time to help the OP.
  • Even if ANet acted quickly, stalking (and bullying) are social problems that cannot be solved by technical solutions alone. A lot of bullies will give up, if they have to drop through hoops, but not all. Stalkers… by definition, they almost never just “give up.”

Therefore, I again urge the OP to do more than ask ANet to change the mechanics. Document the stalker’s behavior, report it calmly and accurately. Add as much outside-the-game details as will help ANet decided to look at other accounts. Contact RL law enforcement and share with them your evidence. Contact support groups and agencies that can help you navigate the mess of laws and customs.

And good luck. I am sorry that you are going through this.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”