Account wide skill point pool.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Going with the trend of making things account wide, maybe in the future there can be a system that has extra skill points be account wide as well.

This can be improved by introducing a reputation system similar to STO where excess skill points can be used to level up a “reputation” bar for account wide character stat increases or skin rewards gated by daily timers so someone can’t just max their rep instantly with like 1000 skill points they saved.

I think this would be a great way to introduce progression beyond lvl 80 and actually make it worth well to gain more levels across all your characters and even encourage people to create new characters.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Account wide skillpoints makes no sense to me at all. It is something the specific character earns imo.
Besides you can already buy things with your skillpoints after getting all skills and I believe those items are accountbound (Some of them are anyway) so there is definitely no need for this.
We already have dailies, monthlies and achievement tracks that gives you different rewards.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Account wide skillpoints makes no sense to me at all. It is something the specific character earns imo.
Besides you can already buy things with your skillpoints after getting all skills and I believe those items are accountbound (Some of them are anyway) so there is definitely no need for this.
We already have dailies, monthlies and achievement tracks that gives you different rewards.

Yes, after you buy these things they are accountbound anyway so why are the skillpoints soulbound? Its just annoying, nothing else.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

What exactly makes it annoying? That you have to actually play a new character to unlock the skills you want?

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yes, after you buy these things they are accountbound anyway so why are the skillpoints soulbound? Its just annoying, nothing else.

Actually most of the good stuff is soulbound, everything in the pic below EXCEPT the last item is soulbound. Tbh this suggestion makes little sense to me. It would also totally kill off the “learning your class” aspect of the game when you create a new char because people will simply unlock everything at once and not give most of the skills a good chance to test out.

Attachments:

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

DeathPanel.8362

Actually most of the good stuff is soulbound, everything in the pic below EXCEPT the last item is soulbound. Tbh this suggestion makes little sense to me. It would also totally kill off the “learning your class” aspect of the game when you create a new char because people will simply unlock everything at once and not give most of the skills a good chance to test out.

You can’t unlock everything at once because the skill tiers are level gated.
Also, the main idea behind this is that account wide skill point pool would allow for the reputation system I mentioned which would be a form of character progression beyond 80 that is also alt friendly.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Also, the main idea behind this is that account wide skill point pool would allow for the reputation system I mentioned which would be a form of character progression beyond 80 that is also alt friendly.

I can understand wanting more progression and things to use our extra skill points on, but again I still don’t see the need for them to be account bound.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And on the picture:

Crystals, Philosopher’s Stones, and Siege Masters Guides are not more than 3 skill points. Anyone is able to afford those. So no need to have account wide skill points for those.

Aurgur’s Stone is account bound so no need for the skill points to be account bound.

That leaves the Bloodstone Shard and the Eldritch Scroll.

Bloodstone Shard is the highest at 200 skill points, but it only makes 2 things. Gift of Mastery which is account bound. And The Anomoly is an exotic focus that’s soulbound on use. Meaning you can buy it if you want or pass it from one character to another.

Eldritch scroll is 50 skill points. And is mostly used for various soulbound on use exotic weapons.

So there is nothing listed that would prevent a player from being able to “transfer” the item bought to another character. You might just have to make an intermediary item or the actual item you were intending to make to do so.

And that’s all skill points are needed for short of buying skills and let’s be honest, you get more skill points than you have skills you want to even try out.

DeathPanel.8362

I can understand wanting more progression and things to use our extra skill points on, but again I still don’t see the need for them to be account bound.

The reason for being account bound rather than character bound is because if it is character bound it will be very alt unfriendly. Imagine having to get skill points to progress each and every one of your 16 characters beyond 80 in an alternate advancement system. (like myself) It’s the same reason they are going to merge WvW rank skill points to be account wide.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I personally wouldn’t care either way. Skill point books are so easy to get that it makes the argument against it kind of pointless.

DeathPanel.8362

I personally wouldn’t care either way. Skill point books are so easy to get that it makes the argument against it kind of pointless.

If they come out with some alternate advancement system that costs like 100 skill points just to advance a single level at higher lvls PER CHARACTER like in WvW ranks you’d probably care unless you only play 1 character and has no alts.

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Not that I care either way but I just looked, my main with 907 hrs of play and all skills unlocked has 318 skill points earned, my first alt with 640 hrs of play and all skills unlocked has 255 skill points earned. It would be nice to be able to use these points for something down the road but I don’t think I’d transfer them to a new toon either.