Account-wide tools could work if...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dasque.4165

Dasque.4165

I know a lot of people ask for Anet to make unlimited tools unlocked and usable on any character from the hero tab after buying once (account-wide). Like how the outfits, gliders, and mail delivery tabs work. People argue they’d lose out on money, because people would maybe buy 3… One of each type and that’s it. They are right if we left it at that.

Currently, you have to buy multiples of each kind if you don’t want to have to always switch them using the bank. It’s a hassle, and that’s why we want them to be selectable on whatever character we’re on.

What if you made all the unlimited tools work how the Watchwork Mining Pick works? It currently has a chance to proc a sprocket. Why can’t all of the harvest tools give you something? It would allow you to make them usable account wide, and still give people a reason to buy the other ones. You’d be giving us what we wanted, and you’d still make your money, maybe even more than you currently make from them.

I’m pretty sure a lot of people bring up how only that tool does anything special and it probably irks the people who own the other ones. If you made the others special and have a chance to give you a surprise crafting component based on the tool used; everyone would be happy. What each unlimited tool would have a chance to proc would be up to Anet, seeing as they would know best. I like how we have the Watchwork Mining Pick to get our sprockets. It’s one of the only ways to get them now. Maybe there are other not-so-common items from past events each could proc.

Maybe the jack in the box Halloween sickle could give you candy corn, or some other Halloween only item used in recipes? The new Skritt sickle could have a chance to give you a bag of filched goods, an unidentified dye, and so on. Another tool could proc Karka shells, or whatever. Do they have to only be crafting materials? No. Random goody bags, crafting supplies for special stat sets, dyes, random small amounts of silver, or whatever. These are just basic ideas of how I think we could get this to work.

Let’s make this a thing, guys! I really think it’s a way for everyone to get what they want!

Posted by: Nansen.4631

Nansen.4631

I think giving all tools something will end up in another yell that ‘gem store is suddenly giving unfair advantages in the game’ like people did when the watchwork one was first released

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I’ve previously suggested on multiple occasions that I thought it would be good if they detached the skins from the gathering tools.

The could sell basic unlimited gathering tools on the gem store for 500 gems and sell the various animation skins for 500 gems. This way you wouldn’t be locked into one animation for that tool. They could also put a random check box on the gathering tool tab of the hero panel that would do random animations for ones you have unlocked. It would give people an incentive to buy all the skins they liked.

I can’t see that it would be very difficult for the devs to code since they already have it setup for the glider skins minus the random check box.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Please select one functionality (that you have unlocked)

Please select one animation (that you have unlocked)

= Custom tool and happy customers

Posted by: Rozalina.3196

Rozalina.3196

I think all the ideas above are great especially the idea of choosing the functionality and skin because if they separate it like that it would work well with the wardrobe.

Posted by: Dasque.4165

Dasque.4165

I like the other ideas as well. I think this could happen. I see like 400 something have have read this thread, which means people are curious. I hope more people add ideas, or agree with what’s already there. I think it’d be a way for them to make money, and for us to get what we want out of whatever special procs they add to whatever tool they add it to. Us still getting account-wide use on every character once it’s been bought. Switching stuff around is a hassle, and buying a set for each of my 16 characters ain’t gonna happen. :P That is unless there was a reason for me to spend money on them, because they get me different things while you use them.

Posted by: Shafara.8217

Shafara.8217

Some suggestion.

• 50% off for second purchase of the same tools. (Percentage can be debatable)
  • Add/remove special buff to all the tools. (Bonus gathering)
  • Some of the tools seems to gather faster than the normal one. Remove that perhaps?
  • Discounted package for the same effect tools. (Sickle, Pick, Axes of the same effect bundled in 1 package)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If the unlimited harvesting tools are account based, what’s my motivation to buy shared slots?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If the unlimited harvesting tools are account based, what’s my motivation to buy shared slots?

Or more tools ?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

There are many things that can be very useful to put in the shared slots. Salvage kits (regular or infinite), passes, boosters, other consumables like revive orbs, merchant, TP, bank access (regular or infinite) and so on. I’m sure I could fill all 11 slots without putting the tools there.

Ever since they made the infinite gathering tools account bound there are only two reasons to get more than one set:
1) extra convenience of not having to swap them through the bank/shared slots
2) for different types with different animations

I’ve seem posts from people who have gotten multiple sets for reason 2.

I think the best thing they could do is add another set of gathering tool slots. Every character would have two sets of gathering tool slots. One would be character-based (exactly what we have now) and the other would be account-based. For each character you can select if that character is using the character-based or account-based gathering tool slots. Picture something similar to the two sets of weapon slots most characters have and can swap between. You could equip infinite or regular in any slot in any combination.

That’s just the basic idea. There would be plenty of details to work out like how do accounts acquire the shared gathering tool slots and would there be a minimum level to use them.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Easy mode:
equiped tool = usage priority 1
shared slot tool = usage priority 2 (if nothing equiped)
otherwise (level requirement) = “can’t use. you are too small”

no more double clickeringding

That would be really great

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

I’ve previously suggested on multiple occasions that I thought it would be good if they detached the skins from the gathering tools.

The could sell basic unlimited gathering tools on the gem store for 500 gems and sell the various animation skins for 500 gems. .

That might mean people buy only the tools for 500 gems unless you had a requirement for them to use a skin for it to work. An alternative would be a tool that costs 800 gems and skins that cost 200 gems each. These skins could be put in the wardrobe and use trans charges to alter them.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Anet won’t change the Watchwork bonus or give it to any other pick. Stop asking. They know that the best course of action is to do nothing.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

CMM.6712

Anet won’t change the Watchwork bonus or give it to any other pick. Stop asking. They know that the best course of action is to do nothing.

And you would know since you are their spokesperson, right? /sarc

They should be taking feedback, and if implemented properly it could be win win for both Anet and consumer both.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

The problem is the simple economics damage that changing all picks to produce sprockets would cause. Sprockets would be worth one copper each. That would extend itself to things people made make with sprockets too.

And yes, I did buy the right pick. I haven’t bought any permanent axes or sickles though. I only bought the pick because it was such an obviously good option.

Rozalina.3196

How they can do it is like this:
- Skins/Special Effects/Special Abilities costs 500 to 800 gems(whatever they figure is best) then put them into wardrobe
~ If you bought the watchwork skin with the special ability of getting sprockets when you mine there would be a drop down list in the endless mining tool section of the wardrobe.
- Set of Account Bound Gathering Tool Slots for 500 to 800 gems which would be like the character based ones but account wide.
- Basic Endless Gathering Tools/no special effects/no special abilities for 500-1,000 gems
~ Since this basic set would be a one time buy it might cost more and this set would go into the account bound gathering slots.

That why the people that want the special looks and abilities will have it. The people that don’t want the frills can just get the basic and people that don’t care about endless gathering can just get the slots. Anet will make money all around.

CMM.6712

In the gem store now is a basic set of the 3 tools called Unbreakable with no effects for 2400 gems, so 800 gem per tool.

So therefore can we conclude that a functionality or an animation is 200 gems per?

The watchwork being the exception with an functionality and an animation I suppose.

Rozalina.3196

well if it’s separated from the skins yes but if they keep the ability attached to the skin it’ll probably be 500 to 800 gems.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

They should be taking feedback, and if implemented properly it could be win win for both Anet and consumer both.

Because common sense. Not doing anything will cause the least amount of friction among the community.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

CMM.6712

Because common sense. Not doing anything will cause the least amount of friction among the community.

Well, I have the watchwork pick, I don’t want anything changed about it. I like it, but at some point I might see an animation I would like better than the one it has now, and was thinking how cool it would be to be able to buy a different animation for my pick (for a reasonable amount of gems) while retaining the chance of sprockets while mining.