Achievement Chests I Feel Need Some Love

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

500ap doesn’t happen overnight. My contention is that the reward should justify the time involvement. For most tiers the rewards seem to be downright pathetic.

The concept of giving rewards marking milestones is a good one, but I feel Anet’s implementation leaves much to be desired. Mostly when I get Ap chests I’m annoyed more than anything.

Don’t mean to get on a soapbox but this has bothered me for awhile.

Posted by: Skyline Crash.6254

Skyline Crash.6254

Well, the end goal for achievements are the skins. If you don’t want them, then don’t do achievements.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They’re ok. As in not great, not terrible, but so so. You inch towards the next chest and as a reward for reaching it you get a skin (if you’re lucky) and some fairly forgettable odds and ends if you’re not. Then you start inching your way to the next chest.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

What is it every 5,000 ap?, you get a big chest that’s actually decent. You’ll get 400 gems and like 20-30 gold plus other small normal things.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What is it every 5,000 ap?, you get a big chest that’s actually decent. You’ll get 400 gems and like 20-30 gold plus other small normal things.

Yes. But at 10 AP a day from doing your daily and the few you can get from doing this or that, 5000 AP takes a long, long time to get. After 3 years and 20 thousand plus AP, I’ve gotten 4 of those. Four in 3 years is not enough to to be really considered an inducement.

And getting a full set of both armors? That’s not even attainable after 3 years by the highest level AP players.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

500ap doesn’t happen overnight. My contention is that the reward should justify the time involvement. For most tiers the rewards seem to be downright pathetic.

The concept of giving rewards marking milestones is a good one, but I feel Anet’s implementation leaves much to be desired. Mostly when I get Ap chests I’m annoyed more than anything.

For something advertised as a milestone (not a game changer), the rewards seem substantive to me:

• You get a laurel, worth 0.5g even with the loss of market value in T6 mats.
  • You get at least one gold and up to 30g.
  • Karma, MF, gold find, and XP are boosted permanently for all your characters.
  • You get skins that are free to re-use.
  • You get gems (every 10k).
  • You get free boosters.

What about that is “pathetic” and what implementation would you “much desire” that would make it so you aren’t “annoyed more than anything”?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Yes. But at 10 AP a day from doing your daily and the few you can get from doing this or that, 5000 AP takes a long, long time to get. After 3 years and 20 thousand plus AP, I’ve gotten 4 of those. Four in 3 years is not enough to to be really considered an inducement.

And getting a full set of both armors? That’s not even attainable after 3 years by the highest level AP players.

I totally agree.

I’ve got 24,xxx ap points. I can’t believe after 3 years we are still in tyria. I thought for sure cantha xpac would have been released by now. I guess my point is it feels like anet is behind on making content and when daily ap’s became a thing they thought we would have been farther along. I just look back at gw1 and think in comparison how much more content was created in the same time span.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Assuming you haven’t hit the cap for daily.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I miss the box of pvp skin unlocks in the AP achievement chests. I wish we’d get at least 3-5 random skins from the game in each achievement chest. I like the bonuses we get, they’re nice extra stuff but when those extra skins were removed they feel a little lackluster now. If they’d always been as they are currently it wouldn’t be a big deal, but when you got a bunch with lots more in them and then Oh look less free things, yeah that gets a little disappointing.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The chests should get gradually better at higher lvls. Why is a 30500 AP chest the same as a 500 AP chest? The more AP you have the harder it is to get more.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Assuming you haven’t hit the cap for daily.

I haven’t hit that yet and tend to forget it’s in game. Once I do hit it and lose my guaranteed 10AP a day even during content droughts I’m NOT going to be a happy camper. I’ll lose the ability to even inch towards my next chest on a semi reasonable basis.

And, imo, all because of those people who felt compelled to do every daily there was to do, every single day. And then come to the forum and complain about it and ask ANet to do something to stop them from doing every daily every day.

Well, they asked. And ANet gave them what they asked for.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

For something advertised as a milestone (not a game changer), the rewards seem substantive to me:

• You get a laurel, worth 0.5g even with the loss of market value in T6 mats.
  • You get at least one gold and up to 30g.
  • Karma, MF, gold find, and XP are boosted permanently for all your characters.
  • You get skins that are free to re-use.
  • You get gems (every 10k).
  • You get free boosters.

What about that is “pathetic” and what implementation would you “much desire” that would make it so you aren’t “annoyed more than anything”?

Illconceived, I hear ya. I’m not asking for the moon, my main argument is that 500 ap between chests take a long time, and rewards should consistently reflect that. The Heavy achieve chests feel o.k to me , but the rest ehhh. Boosters are lol, gold = 30g very inconsistent, gems also=gold and low for the effort spent . Permanent boosts are good but 1 or 2% every 500ap isn’t exactly a thriller (cumulative over yrs maybe but…)

There’s so much armor you can buy in the game already and if they wanted to stick with that as the main prize for ap progression than it should be absolutely mindblowing. How many Zenith and Hellfire sets do you see in game? Not many. All I’m advocating for is consistency. I want to say to myself every 500 points, " Ya boy I did it and look what I get for the effort". Can you say that as of right now? If so maybe I’m the minority. In which case I’ll accept it. I wonder if I am the minority.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

PvP skins were the only truly interesting thing that ever came with the achievement chests. I don’t even pay attention to them anymore. I’ve already got all the weapon and armour skins from AP that I actually want so even the rest of them aren’t going to make me barge through AP. One month away from three years and I still only have a bit less than 14k.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Yea the loss of the pvp skins is what makes me sad, one of the cooler potential rewards of reaching milestones. They removed those and did nothing to really replace it.

As far as achieve points themselves, it used to be easier to get a lot of AP, when we had nothing complete, but most things we did actually gave a substantial amount.

Now, a lot of the new achieves we get, give us 1 AP, some don’t even give any AP, that with limiting daily AP to 10, those who have played a lot and finished a lot of achievements have hit a plateau.

Only anet knows how long we’d have to play to even start seeing a completion of the armor skins, and now the backpieces. How many years are we expected to stick to GW2?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not asking for the moon, my main argument is that 500 ap between chests take a long time, and rewards should consistently reflect that. The Heavy achieve chests feel o.k to me , but the rest ehhh. Boosters are lol, gold = 30g very inconsistent, gems also=gold and low for the effort spent . Permanent boosts are good but 1 or 2% every 500ap isn’t exactly a thriller (cumulative over yrs maybe but…)

There’s so much armor you can buy in the game already and if they wanted to stick with that as the main prize for ap progression than it should be absolutely mindblowing. How many Zenith and Hellfire sets do you see in game? Not many. All I’m advocating for is consistency. I want to say to myself every 500 points, " Ya boy I did it and look what I get for the effort". Can you say that as of right now? If so maybe I’m the minority. In which case I’ll accept it. I wonder if I am the minority.

The OP isn’t t wrong to feel that there’s a kind of diminishing returns on the excitement of reaching new achievement ranks. I just don’t see how ANet can keep the rewards “nice” but not “game changing” without high AP achievers starting to get complacent about the rewards.

Put another way, it seems to me as if ANet already delivered the moon and now some of us are asking “why can’t we have the sun?”

The game launched without any reward for achievements. When first introduced, folks were very pleased — every account gets stuff just for playing the game and people who “over play” aren’t given so much more than everyone else that others start to feel pressured to complete achievements.

It’s inevitable that 20,500 won’t feel as special as 500, but the Nth regular chest never feels as special as the first. Heck, when the chests were first added, I thought the ‘free’ skins were awesome and now, my reaction is “ho hum, another skin I probably won’t use” (I’m really looking forward to the second tier of weapon skins, perhaps sometime in 2020).

tl;dr the rewards are plenty good in my opinion; those with high AP are just used to them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I disagree. AP are gained while playing the game and, potentially, already gaining rewards for doing so. AP chest rewards are a bonus that, if increased, would put too much emphasis on actively pursuing something that should, IMO, be by byproduct of playing the game, not the game itself.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They probably envisioned it as a system where AP wouldn’t be too difficult to get a lot of over time (which would fit with the massive chests being virtually the same).

Instead, the acquiring of AP feels like an economics lesson in scarcity and only gets harder and harder over time, instead of staying at relatively the same level of difficulty. As some have pointed out in the past, achievement points only get more stingy instead of giving big chunks.

Making it too easy to acquire them leads to devaluing of the skins and devaluing of the near-religious level of effort that some have put into having the highest AP possible. Making it too hard to acquire them for puny gains invalidates the effort of the near-religious in the opposite direction, by giving them nothing to do, or giving them a task list that would discourage even the most hardcore zealot.

At some point, Anet has to ask themselves whether AP content is something they want newer players to be encouraged to participate in. As it is now (to give you a personal example) I’ve been playing for probably about 1 year of the game’s life, in total, taking breaks into account. In that time, I’ve managed to acquire ~5300 achievement points.

I have not gone after the points hardcore, but I haven’t actively ignored them either – kind of a mixed bag of effort. For example, I’ve got most of The Emperor done (which required going out of my way on funds significantly) and I’ve probably done about a third of the classic jumping puzzles. I don’t want to go through my whole list and break it down, but the gist is that I’ve gone out of my way in some respects and in others, I’ve not.

Does ~5300 for roughly 1 year’s worth of participation in the game’s life seem reasonable to you guys? (That’s not a rhetorical question – I’m interested in what you think about it.)

Or words to that effect.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Does ~5300 for roughly 1 year’s worth of participation in the game’s life seem reasonable to you guys? (That’s not a rhetorical question – I’m interested in what you think about it.)

Reasonable? I have 20k plus after 3 years. When you factor in how much easier it used to be to get high amounts of AP for doing content and that I got AP for content that is now inaccessible to you, 5,300 in one year is doing good.

However I know that it’s going to take me a long time to get the complete armor sets and weapon sets. Years in fact. Since that seems to be ANet’s design, then I guess it’s reasonable.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Honestly, the Achievement chests have sucked ever since they removed the PVP skin chests from them. Those were the only good thing in there, especially since they could give you skins that were otherwise unobtainable in PVE.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I miss the box of pvp skin unlocks in the AP achievement chests. I wish we’d get at least 3-5 random skins from the game in each achievement chest. I like the bonuses we get, they’re nice extra stuff but when those extra skins were removed they feel a little lackluster now. If they’d always been as they are currently it wouldn’t be a big deal, but when you got a bunch with lots more in them and then Oh look less free things, yeah that gets a little disappointing.

^ This. I remember the old chest being a lot more fun. They could always throw the pvp exclusive stuff everyones been begging for into AP rewards like the Shaman set and destroyer staff.
The chest themselves are useless and unmemorable atm. The account passives and Zenith, Hellfire, etc skins are pretty much the real reward. The 400 gem rewards are awesome :P but rare. Been trying to reach 20k for a very long time for that~ at liek 19300 or so right meow.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

Its not in Arena Net interest for you to get rewards and gold.If that was a point,they would be out of job,every single person.

In their interest is to reward players with 1 green item and 1 bag after killing legendary champion.

In their interest is to make 1000 different bags with different names,but every bag gives same loot,different names,makes you feel you got something different.

In their interest is to lock endgame items behind heavy farm,even if game is not all about farming (yes,sure…)

Why?

Because they rely on you,to open your wallet and to ask how much do you want?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

AP chest have been totally useless since they removed PvP skins from them. Getting 5-6 new skins with every AP chest made them fun, exciting, and worth while. Getting 5k karma and 5g worth of crap is just clogging up my inventory now.

Xp and Karma account buffs are useless too. I already have max mastery, and 3 million karma so those things are worthless.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I’m at 2750 AP now. The 3000 AP chest gives me something like 1g, 2 laurels and a glove skin I will never use.
I’ve never cared less about AP than I do now. lol

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Achievement Chests should be turned back to how they practically were in the State of release when ANet introduced the AP reward System.

When you gain an Achievement Chest, folowing things should you receive as reward:

Tiny Achievement Chests

• 2 Gold
  • 10 Laurels
  • A Bonus to either Gold Find, Magic Find, Karma Gain, Crafting Expertise or Gathering Expertise (new added Account Bonus Effects to make Crafting/Gathering more efficieent retroactively)
  • 1 Random Exotic Item with a Chance of a Precursor
  • 25 Memories of Battle
  • 25 Shards of Glory
  • 1 Box of Fun
  • 1 Random Gemstore Booster/Utility Item
  • A Black Lion Ticket Scrap (Retroactively)

Medium Achievement Chests

• 5 Gold
  • 20 Laurels
  • A stronger Bonus of +3% instead of +1% to either Gold Find or Magic Find ect.
  • Contains Achievement Reward Skins for unique Weapon/Armor skins only obtainable via these Chests, stuff like Radiant/Hellfire Skins
  • 25 Memories of Battle
  • 25 Shards of Glory
  • A Black Lion Ticket (Retroactively)
  • 1 Keg of WvW Experience (This Instant +5 Ranks Item) (time gated retroactively, not all at once, just daily 1 on Login till you got all)

Big Achievement Chests

• 15 Gold
  • 35 Laurels
  • A Bonus of +1% to all Account Bonus Effects (retroactively)
  • Contains Ascended Gear Chests of Choice (retroactively)
  • Contains Weapon Skin Containers that randomly unlock 1 Skin for your Account that hasn’t been unlocked yet (From Dungeons, From Crafting, From Monster Loot ect. except of legendary skins and their precursors) (retroactively), unless it are Skins that are automatically unlocked from other Achievements – unlocks only the Skins, gives you not the Weapons self!!
    Example: With such a Skin Box used, it could unlock for your Account the Skin of Mjollnir, or the Skin of one of the Order’s Weapons or whatever else you just haven’t unlocked yet, what makes these Skin Boxes more and more valuable, so more Skins you already have unlocked as it raises the chances then to unlock something, that would cost you normaly a huge fortune for that you would have to grind months for perhaps otherwise. The first Achievement Chests already had this Feature and sadly Anet removed it as they were the main reason Number 1 for why the earlier Chests were such great rewards as they always unlocked also randomly some skins for your Account
  • 50 Memories of Battles
  • 50 Shards of Glory
  • 25 Bags of random T6 Materials (retroactively time gated)
  • 25 Bags of random Lodestones

Huge Achievement Chests

• 30 Gold
  • 50 Laurels
  • 400 Gems
  • A new Title
  • A bigger Bonus of +3% to all Account Bonus Effects (retroactively)
  • Contains Ascended Gear Chests of Choice (retroactively)
  • 2 Black Lion Tickets (retroactively)
  • 3 random Dyes unlocked for your Account that haven’t been unlocked yet (retroactively)
  • 100 Memories of Battle
  • 100 Shards of Glory
  • 5 Black Lion Keys (retroactively)

This way would be the achievement Reward System alot more interestign for players and more rewarding, because:

1.) It would be a source of unique rewards you can only get from it (Skins)
2.) It helps on getting the ressources for Legendary Items (Memories, Shards, T6 Materials
3.) It’s a constant source for Black Lion Scraps, Tickets and Keys
4.) Gems
5.) Titles
6.) Good amounts of Gold
7.) Good amouts of Laurels (that in turn you can use for even more T6 Materials, Ascended Accesoires, Miniatures ect.)
8.) It would help as a constant source then for Ascended Equipment to make the Game again more Alternate Character friendly
9.) It improves your Account Bonis for constantly increasing more Exp from Kills, Karma, MF, Gold from Kills, Crafting Bonus Exp and increased Chance to get Bonus Materials from Gathering Nodes
10.) Dye Unlocker to help getting the Dyes you want without being forced to buy them from TP from greedy players that want to have for these a half fortune in certain cases.
11) Skin Unlocker to help getting by radnom Skins for your account unlocked

Some strong points that should encourage alot more players then to go for achivements, than to ignore them and the more peopel are encourage to do achievement, so better, because they keep the community active and busy.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside