Achievement Points Cap

Achievement Points Cap

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wildmanviper.4351

wildmanviper.4351

There is a cap of combined Monthly and Dailies at 15,000 achievement points and you will no longer gain the 10 for dailies after you reach the cap. Can ANET raise this cap or is there a reason why veteran players should be penalized for completing all the dailies and achievement hunting? Im not at the cap but in 10 days, I will be. I have a few friends on my contacts list that have a friendly competition on holding top achievement points and once the cap is reached we are forced into other areas of the game that we dont necessarily have fun playing. For instance, a friend has 25,937 and has had that for the last 3 months because of the cap. He doesnt have HOT, which does encourage him to get it for points but he completes dailies and receives the rewards, just not the achievement points. He was 2K ahead of me when HOT was release and IM currently at 27,146. My rival is at 27,454 but in 10 days, I might as well say goodbye.

What are your thoughts?

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

There is a cap of combined Monthly and Dailies at 15,000 achievement points and you will no longer gain the 10 for dailies after you reach the cap. Can ANET raise this cap or is there a reason why veteran players should be penalized for completing all the dailies and achievement hunting? Im not at the cap but in 10 days, I will be. I have a few friends on my contacts list that have a friendly competition on holding top achievement points and once the cap is reached we are forced into other areas of the game that we dont necessarily have fun playing. For instance, a friend has 25,937 and has had that for the last 3 months because of the cap. He doesnt have HOT, which does encourage him to get it for points but he completes dailies and receives the rewards, just not the achievement points. He was 2K ahead of me when HOT was release and IM currently at 27,146. My rival is at 27,454 but in 10 days, I might as well say goodbye.

What are your thoughts?

I guess you lost then.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

More or less, I think the cap a good idea to allow people to catch up. It the cap can keep going, no one can catch up, but it also has to do with the achievement chests I bet too.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

More or less, I think the cap a good idea to allow people to catch up. It the cap can keep going, no one can catch up, but it also has to do with the achievement chests I bet too.

Seriously? You like this cap to get other people to catch up ?

I really hope ANet will consider this cap thingie again and it won’t be any boundary to have new AP soon , it’s definitely not fair for all veteran players

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

It is very fair. Everybody can earn the same amount of AP. If you capped your daily limit then congratz!!!!! Now you can ignore them and focus on different things!

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

As someone with 31.3k+ AP I hope this cap stays. Dailies are pointless and not really much of an ‘achievement’ anyway. It feels great to not have to do dailies once you cap it out and can play other stuff.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The daily cap is nothing compared to the achievements you cannot obtain anymore. Like historical achievements and retired achievements that you will never ever get no matter how long you play. I’d rather they introduce those back first before they increase the daily cap, or not do either.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Seriously? You like this cap to get other people to catch up ?

I really hope ANet will consider this cap thingie again and it won’t be any boundary to have new AP soon , it’s definitely not fair for all veteran players

Might be hard to believe but that cap is probably the best decision anet made about achievementpoints. You can only get between 3650 and 4000 (halloween, wintersday, dragonbash extra dailys) daily achievementpoints per year.
The problem is that the daily ap’s are an impossible amount to get. For example I play since release but just wasn’t possible for me to be every day online and do these. Currently I’m have around 10.000 daily ap. If the cap would be removed right now, than I could never reach any person that is currently at the 15.000 cap. I would be forever 5.000 points short no matter how much, how good, how long I play.

Worldwide the highest player is currently at 32.144 points. That means almost half of all possible achievementpoints are currently only availabe through daily. A new person now would at least need 4 years to even reach that point because of this stupid daily cap.

So basically the last thing anet should do is raising the 15.000 cap! If anet would change something, they should decrease the cap to 10.000 or make the “daily ap points” farmable (for example repeatable each day and you get all 3 achievs 10 points).

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The daily cap is nothing compared to the achievements you cannot obtain anymore. Like historical achievements and retired achievements that you will never ever get no matter how long you play. I’d rather they introduce those back first before they increase the daily cap, or not do either.

This.

The daily cap is fine. It’s again scewed in favor of the launch players since getting double daylies (yes, there were ways of getting two daylies worth of AP. Not sure if this was fixed) and monthly AP was way faster than what players can get now.

Peronally I would love for them to add some type of optional monthly which gives 50-100 AP. Maybe rotate it between game modes to encourage play.

I doubt they’ll reintroduce the old Living Story events, and I’m fine with that too. Though I’m not sure how new players feel about that. Would love for some of the content to get reintroduced as instanced content simply for people to be able to replay it for the story.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I hit my 15,000 cap just today. I’m in mourning now. 28,410 achievement points. My wife is not that far behind me. She found out I hit my cap she cheered.

I’m not really sure about the achievement cap. The original purpose was to let new players catch up, but new players will never really catch up, because so many of the achievements I have no longer exist.

Either way, it’s sort of bittersweet right now.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

What about the players who started the same time as you, didn’t miss out AP from releases and only ignored monthlies because they were too much time consuming, and dailies which are just simply annoying? This way veteran player can catch up with these dedicated veteran players like you.

I like the cap.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What about the players who started the same time as you, didn’t miss out AP from releases and only ignored monthlies because they were too much time consuming, and dailies which are just simply annoying? This way veteran player can catch up with these dedicated veteran players like you.

I like the cap.

I didn’t do all the monthlies either. I’m still not sure about it. I didn’t commit one way or another.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

As usual it’s a half measure from ANet that wasn’t really thought out.

On the one hand, you have an ever growing divide of low vs high AP players. I guess ANet didn’t want that divide to increase. However you have to question why ANet have leader boards, indeed why have AP’s at all if you were just going to punish those that went for them.

So (once again) veteran players that played the game and did AP’s are being punished. New players or those that are in a position to game the system stand to benefit.

Seriously, let the AP hunters continue to compete with each other but make it a secondary system. The system doesn’t have to increase their AP’s if you want to stop the divide but offer a different unit of metric that they can use to ‘chest thump’ over but doesn’t highlight a divide between new and AP hunting veteran players in the way the current system does.

Sound too complicated? It is for ANet.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

farmable (for example repeatable each day and you get all 3 achievs 10 points).

Most of your ideas are ridiculous relative to other players and only benefit your current level of AP.

Your farming idea is half useful but you would need to restrict high level AP from it, or your just reinforcing the same problem.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Achievement Points Cap

fishball.7204

I think what he wants is the ability to repeat the daily ap so that he can reach the 15k cap faster.

I don’t really care either way if they do it or not but I think it’s designed the current way to encourage people to login daily.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Can ANET raise this cap or is there a reason why veteran players should be penalized for completing all the dailies and achievement hunting?

What is a cap good for if it get raised every time someone hit it?

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I am glad daily APs got a cap. Gives me more time for the interesting stuff in this game.

If you ask me dailies and monthlies should never have given any AP to begin with, since they are just daily chores and not achievements.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I am glad dailies have a cap even though it will stop me getting the full set of radiant/hellfire armour for a long while. What the cap does is make achievements about who has actually done the most in game rather than just who has done the most dailies. Another reason why I like it is that when I hit the cap in just under a year, for the first time since I got the game I will be able to log in and not have to worry about getting dailies done, which can be very annoying some days.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Before the cap was added there would periodically be topics from achievement addicts begging for some sort of system so they wouldn’t feel pressured to do dailies every day or stress when they missed a day.

I have to admit I don’t understand it myself, but apparently this was a real problem for some people, they didn’t actually enjoy doing dailies every single day but couldn’t stand the thought of missing those points and falling behind.

They were very happy when the cap was added (and when they changed the system so you can only earn 10 ap a day and only have to do 3 dailies to get it).

I can’t imagine they’d be happy at all if the cap was removed and they were back to feeling pressured to do dailies.

So it’s not just to allow new players (and those who had to take breaks) to have a chance to compete. It’s also aimed at a subset of veteran players.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Does no one remember the threads upon threads from AP hunters lamenting the fact it took them hours and hours to finish each and every Daily?

This was one of the reasons a cap was instituted. We no longer see those threads; it’s a shame Monthlies were removed and that faction of the playerbase was catered to (IMO).

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Radu.1693

Radu.1693

The original 10k cap was nice when each daily was worth something on its own, but since now the points come from just doing 3 a day it really doesn’t matter. I still do dailies pretty much religiously regardless of capped.

I don’t remember when I hit cap, maybe half a year ago+. It might be time the bump the cap up a few more points, seems like plenty of people who care have had enough time to catch up. Maybe 500 points each content update, so people who are capped can easily maintain it, while still allowing for other players to gain ground if they wish.

(edited by Radu.1693)

Achievement Points Cap

fishball.7204

Does no one remember the threads upon threads from AP hunters lamenting the fact it took them hours and hours to finish each and every Daily?

This was one of the reasons a cap was instituted. We no longer see those threads; it’s a shame Monthlies were removed and that faction of the playerbase was catered to (IMO).

The old dailies were cancer. There was AP for winning 5 solo q and 3 team q every day which took 3-7 hours due to queue times and they required WINS.

I dislike how monthlies were removed too but we (players with high AP) didn’t ask for them to merge them, they did it themselves. Most of the AP farmers actually capped dailies for a few months before ANet decided to merge monthly into the AP for dailies.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There were two stated reasons for putting a cap on AP gained through dailies/monthlies:

• To allow people who didn’t spam dailies/monthlies a chance to gain parity with those who did.
  • As requested by people at the top of the leaderboards, a chance to take a break without being penalized.

Personally, I don’t support either reason — if we’re going to have a leaderboard, then it only makes sense to cap spammable achievements (like Agent of Entropy or Dungeon Runner), not things that are limited to a fixed amount or fixed AP per time.

Unless ANet has changed its philosophy about it, I don’t see why they would remove the cap entirely. However, it might make sense for them to offer a yearly adjustment, perhaps raising the cap by 1000 every year — that would still be in line with the original reasons for the cap while giving veterans a chance to gain AP from dailies.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

I’m not sure how I will be able to get the 30K cheevos for the hellfire armor once I hit cap this summer. I’d be in favor of Illconceived’s idea of raising the cap by 1K per year.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

The cap was added less for the players that were up and coming, but more because the achievement hunters were asking for it. In a lot of cases the argument was that if there were points to gain in the dailies and monthies then they were “forced” (not my words) to do it and couldn’t enjoy other parts of the game. The counter argument at the time was that if people wanted to do more dailies then they could with the old system. Alas in the end we have the cap. It is what it is though. Good gaming!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’d prefer the cap to be lifted, periodically if not completely. A cap isn’t that big a deal when new content is released and there’s lots of new achieve points to get, but during content droughts it allows you to inch towards your next chest, even if it’s only 10 points a day. Even with lots of other achieve points to get, that daily 10 adds up over time.

Personally I think they should have made it at the 10 points max daily and no cap as a fair enough compromise between those who can’t control themselves, daily wise, and were begging for outside restrictions to be put on, and those who can.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

I think the system was supposed to show the overall mastery of the game in the broadest possible way.

The fact that dailies are such a huge chunk of currently available AP is bad for that purpose already. Achievement hunting SHOULD force you to play all aspects of the game.

And yes, I do agree that the currently unobtainable AP from old living world/seasonal events are just awful.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

As someone with 31.3k+ AP I hope this cap stays. Dailies are pointless and not really much of an ‘achievement’ anyway. It feels great to not have to do dailies once you cap it out and can play other stuff.

That is also true for the majority of the “achievements”.

Achievement Points Cap

Khisanth.2948

The biggest problem with the cap is that the ANet decided to gate some items behind AP and if you happen to way those items and have hit the cap then …. well screw you.

Edit: I do not want any of those items.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

farmable (for example repeatable each day and you get all 3 achievs 10 points).

Most of your ideas are ridiculous relative to other players and only benefit your current level of AP.

Your farming idea is half useful but you would need to restrict high level AP from it, or your just reinforcing the same problem.

I guess you didn’t understand what I wrote (or I wrote it wrong). The daily cap is already a good restriction for high level AP farmers and should of course stay like it is. A good change would be to make them farmable for people that haven’t reached the cap yet.
The reason is simple: A new player currently needs at best 4 years to reach the daily cap maximum no matter how much or long he plays. (It would take longer for a new player now than it took for everyone who played since release!)
That is the really bad decision!

Btw. such a change would be great for the achievement ladder too because it would create more challenge for each postion. There are more than enough “never reachable or extreme time consuming” achievements in gw2 and these should be the only distinction for the ladder rank and not a daily capped 4 year farm.
Another real problem are the achievementpoints form “historical events”, these should be capped at some point too! That would create real challenge for the ladder and encourage especially high ranking people to finish long time achievements for example like some collections.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Chickenooble.5014

Chickenooble.5014

He was 2K ahead of me when HOT was release and IM currently at 27,146. My rival is at 27,454 but in 10 days, I might as well say goodbye.

So, if you’re both capped then there is no advantage either way. Removing the cap would remove the cap for both of you… meaning you both earn that 10AP at the same rate.

Sounds like you need to step your game up.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

NO NO and NO,

Caps are not good, Caps are put in place because players who are either new, or causal come QQing on the forums that people who have played the game since the start are so ahead, and how unfair it is that they cant catch up,

If you play the game a 4 hours a week, why should you catch up with someone who plays 20 hours a week, I don’t play PVP, but I don’t want PVP rewards moved to PvE so I can get them, its crazy Anet thinks Caps are good.

Anet needs to revise that CAP, or better yet remove it completely, me and some of my friends use the AP’s as a fun way to push each other on when playing, when I hit the cap for dailies, im done with the game, I wont play a game where im capped, because of someone who only wants to play 3 hours a week, cant catch me.

Again CAPs are not good for a game like this.

Achievement Points Cap

Malediktus.9250

What people miss is that daily AP devalued real one time achievements.

1-3 AP for [insert random hard stuff like gold medal in a difficult adventure] – 10 AP for 2 games of skyhammer server a day.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

What are your thoughts?

I guess you lost then.

win

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

1-3 AP for [insert random hard stuff like gold medal in a difficult adventure] – 10 AP for 2 games of skyhammer server a day.

What some people miss is that many people don’t care if it devalues “real one time achievements”.

Hint: those “real, one time achievements” are nothing to boast about. Try telling someone in or out of game that you got one and see if you get more than a blank look. It’s only the hard core achievement hunters who care even the slightest.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

What some people miss is that many people don’t care if it devalues “real one time achievements”.

Hint: those “real, one time achievements” are nothing to boast about. Try telling someone in or out of game that you got one and see if you get more than a blank look. It’s only the hard core achievement hunters who care even the slightest.

Are you implying that telling someone that you’ve chopped down trees in Kryta/did Harathi Hinterlands events/farmed Shatterer or did other equivalent tasks for 3+ years going to get you ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs’?

APs should mean something other than ‘did brainless tasks for x days’. And yes, I would be a lot more impressed by someone getting gold in every HoT adventure than I would be by someone who excelled at daily tree chopping.

Achievement Points Cap

Malediktus.9250

Why would I tell people out of game about ingame achievements? Ingame there are plenty of people congratulating me for my AP.

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why would I tell people out of game about ingame achievements? Ingame there are plenty of people congratulating me for my AP.

/shrug. Some people are easily impressed.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Malediktus.9250

And it is the only prestige you can have in this game. So stop feeling entitled to easy AP from dailies just because you are too lazy to collect AP.

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

And it is the only prestige you can have in this game. So stop feeling entitled to easy AP from dailies just because you are too lazy to collect AP.

I admit I’m not a hard core AP hunter. I only have 21k AP . But it’s disinterest, not laziness that keeps me from getting to the top ranks. In spite of what you think there’s no prestige to having high AP and no one truly cares except the hard core AP hunters.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Malediktus.9250

Your logic is the same as claiming a Ferrari has no prestige in real life.

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

If your idea of true prestige is fake points in a video game or how many pieces of green pieces of paper you can accumulate and then spend on one item, then no, I guess I don’t think either is true prestige.

/shrug. But be impressed by flash if you want. Just don’t expect others to be just as enamored by the superficial.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Khisanth.2948

WHAT?! You are not impressed with my MAD SKILLZ at F’ing all those posts in Wayfarer Foothills?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achievement Points Cap

Malediktus.9250

If your idea of true prestige is fake points in a video game or how many pieces of green pieces of paper you can accumulate and then spend on one item, then no, I guess I don’t think either is true prestige.

/shrug. But be impressed by flash if you want. Just don’t expect others to be just as enamored by the superficial.

Considering e=mc² it does not matter if it are 0 and 1s on some harddisk or something else. Everything just energy in different shapes and forms.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Why does this cap exist? What problem does it solve? The game has got to the point of most players just logging in to get the daily, wander around bored for 10 minutes and logging off. When I reach the cap it would be a good thing because I will most likely finally quit.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Proxima Pro.9105

Proxima Pro.9105

I didnt even know there was a 15k AP cap for monthly and dailies combined till I saw, after completing my dailies, my AP (24176) didnt go up by 10 anymore…
The only reason I logged in the last couple of months was for the daily log in chest and the 10 ap.. and get eventually to 25k AP..
As veteran player the reason I only do dailies now is because there is nothing much left to do for me now. I have HoT, liked it at first but its not much of a true expansion to me..
I’m actually waiting for new content to come out or the continuation of the story (living world season 3) towards the next elder dragon. (Jormag please!!)
So right now because of this stupid AP cap I don’t have a reason to log in at all or maybe just for 10 second for the daily log in chest..

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

The restriction on dailies was put in place to cater to those who can’t control themselves.

I’m going to hit it in a few months.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Khisanth.2948

The restriction on dailies was put in place to cater to those who can’t control themselves.

Not for those who were kittening about not being able to catch up to people they never had a chance of catching up to anyway?

Achievement Points Cap

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not for those who were kittening about not being able to catch up to people they never had a chance of catching up to anyway?

The posts and threads I saw back then were mainly from people asking for a cap because they were forcing themselves to get every single achievement point in the game, no matter how many hours a day it took them. With a daily cap they only have to finish old achieves and do any new achieves that come out. Once they’ve caught up, if they’re in a content drought they can slack off. That was the main argument I saw on those threads. Any other arguments at that time were minor.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement Points Cap

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I personally think the cap is stupid. If we continue doing dailies and monthlies, we should get the achievement points for doing so. I have never once seen what I consider a good reason for capping. Achievement point hunters and their problems with not getting every single achievement point does not, imo, constitute a valid reason.