Achievement points shown in the forums

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mricezombie.4560

mricezombie.4560

I think it’s good to see the AP of players and the hours they have played. Because this will prevent trolling on the forums. When somebody says for example with 38Ap and only 20 mins of playtime: "yhea endgame really sucks and scarlet is a real marry sue villian that ruins the entire game bla bla bla.. " You can automaticly tell by his game time and AP that their message is not really of relevance.

Ps. sorry for my english, it’s not my native language

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

People should be judged on the content of their posts, not an arbitrary kitten score that only facilitates elitism and baseless judgements.

Posted by: zacsux.2098

zacsux.2098

People should be judged on the content of their posts, not an arbitrary kitten score that only facilitates elitism and baseless judgements.

^this. If someone was making a post about end game being terrible and what not without an argument as to why they think so, I wouldn’t take them too seriously anyways.

EDIT: What would be nice is an avatar of one of your characters however. Not for backing your posts, but just to add some flavor.

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

It’s not a good idea to promote elitism in a forum. It discourages people from posting if they don’t have an ‘acceptable’ amount of achievement points, and as you said, from certain people taking their post seriously.

I do not want this to become a, “Mounts should be in this game, I have 15 000 achievement points so I know what’s best for it and you only have 1000.” type of place. As panzer stated, people should be judged on their post content.

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

+1’d

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I think it’s good to see the AP of players and the hours they have played. Because this will prevent trolling on the forums. When somebody says for example with 38Ap and only 20 mins of playtime: "yhea endgame really sucks and scarlet is a real marry sue villian that ruins the entire game bla bla bla.. " You can automaticly tell by his game time and AP that their message is not really of relevance.

I like that idea. I think WoW shows your achievement points on forums, too

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

mricezombie.4560

I think elitism won’t be that much of a problem. The most elitism are not he one’s with alot of AP from my experience. All the players with high AP are mostly really friendly and got alot of AP just because they love the game an therefore play the game alot. It would’t make sense to get to 7000 AP or someting like that while you hate the game.
Having alot of AP means you care about the game. This will give your post more significance.

You can still make a really good writed comment while you know nothing of the game itself. It is the same as getting an A+ for an essay you wrote about a book without even reading the book, just because you read some things about it on the internet. This will give you the highlits of it but you do not really understand it truly.

There are alot of people who stopped playing the game for example but are still trolling the forums. A timer on your forum account to show when was the last time you were online or someting like that would be a good solutioun for that.

I agree zarcsux to add more flavor to your post, showing a pic of your fav character and your fav title or something like that.

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

AP scores are absolutely irrelevant to everything except the individual whose account it is. It is not a measure of how good a player you are or why your opinion is more valid.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

No, just no. The last thing we need is for people’s opinions to be “valued” by how much AP they have.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Please please please.

This would be great so that you could sift through the posts by 5k AP or less players. Not because their opinions are meaningless as much as their opinions are often misinformed and biased by a small limited perspective.

I’m in a guild with many many member who played since launch and most have 10k ap. The difference in attitudes towards Gw2 is amazing. New players constantly make blanket balance statements that are simply not true.

Godmoney.2048

AP scores are absolutely irrelevant to everything except the individual whose account it is. It is not a measure of how good a player you are or why your opinion is more valid.

Actually AP is a great way to kitten skill. Ap isn’t 100% representative of skill but it is a great gauge.

Anyone with 8k ap or more has played a ton of Gw2 and probably understands teh games mechanics by heart.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think this would be a worse idea that forums that show how many posts you have. Too many people seem to think there is a direct correlation between achievement points and experience, skill or even intelligence.

If someone genuinely does or does not know what they’re talking about it will be clear from their posts. No need to encourage jumping to conclusions.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

How would this help at all? Someone like myself who plays mainly wvw and pvp have a way lower AP score then any one that PvEs, does this make my opinion less valid in some way? Why do people always look for some way to dismiss others out of hand instead of by the content of there ideas?

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Godmoney.2048

How would this help at all? Someone like myself who plays mainly wvw and pvp have a way lower AP score then any one that PvEs, does this make my opinion less valid in some way? Why do people always look for some way to dismiss others out of hand instead of by the content of there ideas?

The most hardcore WvW players have at least 5k ap just from doing WvW and hardly no pve at all.

One of my guild mates is WvW level 750 something. His ap is 10.5k.

Scandi.5693

Because MMO’s always breed elitism and a few will always think they are better than everyone around them, based upon what they did in a video game. It’s both sad and hilarious.

Scandi.5693

The most hardcore WvW players have at least 5k ap just from doing WvW and hardly no pve at all.

One of my guild mates is WvW level 750 something. His ap is 10.5k.

Those numbers don’t add up at all. I have a fairly high wvw rank and without pve my ap would be very low.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Let’s judge more books by their covers shall we?

We are more than the armor we wear, the weapon we wield, or the AP we have accumulated. These superficial things tell us essentially nothing (of importance) about the player as a person.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

No, because then it gets seriously skewed towards no lifers and fanboys. Somebody with 10K AP is very likely to have a rose tinted view of the state of the game, don’t you think? They get to add their opinions same as anybody else, they don’t need those opinions weighted by how much they love the game and how much time they’ve spent in it.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Not only should this NOT be done, I think the game would be better off if AP totals were hidden entirely.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have a few APs (~10,000). Are you saying my opinion on PvP should be considered with more weight? Fun fact: I’ve never set foot in PvP.

Scandi.5693

Not only should this NOT be done, I think the game would be better off if AP totals were hidden entirely.

Give this person a cookie

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind having totals in the game, on the friend’s list, or the guild roster, but then again I don’t generally pay much attention to them. I really don’t think there should be leaderboards for AP. That’s just ridiculous.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

You hear that newbies? Grind all your daily categories every day if you want to be taken seriously on the official forum.

Because achievement points actually mean something in this game.

NEXT UP: MY PSN RANK MEANS I KNOW WHAT PS4 GAMES TO BUY!

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Let’s judge more books by their covers shall we?

We are more than the armor we wear, the weapon we wield, or the AP we have accumulated. These superficial things tell us essentially nothing (of importance) about the player as a person.

I have to agree with this…. AP really has no bearing on whether a poster knows what he/she is talking about, take myself I have over 6000AP but have only been in one dungeon path in all my hours of play, so do you think I’d have a valid opinion about speed-running dungeon paths? Kitten No! I may have an opinion but should you listen to it based on my AP…nope! Ask me about PvE and that might be a totally different thing because that’s where I’ve spent most of my hours.

If your going down that road then show it all from amount of gold, fratcal relics, BoH, etc, the whole ball of wax.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

If you really really want to know how many achievement points somebody has, add them to your friends list and if they’re not currently online check the leaderboard.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

mricezombie.4560

An option to click om the achievement points to look where you earned your ap from would be a good solotion to see how much somebody has played in a certain section, someting like your own achievement panel, only all players can see it. Or your forum profile would look someting like this

Mr. Banana

Fav character: norn guardian lvl 80
Emmisionary of the mad king
3524 ap
1/24 dungeon paths completed
Pvp rank: wolf

You immediatly know that this person has alot of knowledge about pvp but not much about dungeons, so when he makes a post about pvp you know it’s legit, but when he makes a comment about dungeons you can question his statement more easily.

If Ap would support too much elitism, it would be better to add thing like pvp ranks or other kind of ranks like frac lvls

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I’m also opposed. You shouldn’t need credentials to express your opinion and have it heard on a forum created to collect player feedback. Also AP aren’t the only metric that you would need. If someone posts about the gem store, we’d need to see their purchase history. If someone posts about sPvP we’d need their rank and potentially their win loss record by class type depending on what they were posting about. See the problem?

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

OR BETTER YET! We can turn the forums into the same garbage as steam and steams leveling process, as way to profit off those with no self control!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Forums do not need to provide further tools to devalue other posters’ opinions. After all, we already have those endearing terms, “whine,” “QQ” and “L2P.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think showing your /age would be more informative. Too bad there isn’t a breakdown of something like /pvpage /pveage and /wvwage. That would actually be useful, but I doubt they track that.

AP’s could work if you broke them down by PvE AP’s, PvP AP’s, and sorry you’re out of luck (WvW) AP’s.

But overall while it would be fun to see I have already learned how to sift posts pretty effectively here, I don’t really need an indicator.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Include /deaths and I am with you.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Anyway AP are only good for extreme. I know that someone with less than 1000 AP is relatively new and don’t have his level 80 for a long time now. On the other hand i know that someone with 10 000 AP played the game for some time now.

That is all the information you can get from AP. Can you really say that a guys that chase living story achievement, JP, daily and monthly is a better player compare to a guys that don’t give a crap about AP and just play WvW, sPvP or dungeon?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

mricezombie.4560

ZudetGambeous.9573

that system would work perfect for my opinion. It won’t support elitism, because it will show your interests in certain part of the game and therefore show your best and bad sides in the game.

A system like this is good to filter alot of haters and garbage posters who are here only on the forums just to complain and hate on everything and not for the feedback. WoW has also Ap points and from my memory (quit the game a long time ago) there wasn’t alot of elitism on the forums, correct me if i am wrong btw.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This is the sort of thing you’d keep to yourself. These sort of people “out” themselves eventually anyway and it becomes a simple matter of not taking them seriously.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Malediktus.9250

No I want to rub my 18463 AP into everyones face

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Considering the people at the top of the leaderboards apparently get there and maintain their position by grinding dailies and monthlies, rushing through living story content following a guide and completely avoiding anything that doesn’t give enough points I really don’t think it’s an accurate way to measure how good, or even experienced a person is.

Who would you rather get advice from? Someone who does every single daily, every single day but little else? Or a guild leader who spends most of their time helping new players complete their story and dungeon paths they’ve already done? Or a WvW commander who spends most of their time on TS organising groups and overseeing battles but may not do much of the actual fighting themselves?

Well the first one will have far more achievement points than the other two, so according to this system they’re the more reliable source of information.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

FYI, this is not WoW no matter how much some players may want it to be.

Malediktus.9250

FYI, this is not WoW no matter how much some players may want it to be.

So? Take the good stuff and scrap the bad ideas. I think this is one of WoWs good ideas.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

^this. If someone was making a post about end game being terrible and what not without an argument as to why they think so, I wouldn’t take them too seriously anyways.

EDIT: What would be nice is an avatar of one of your characters however. Not for backing your posts, but just to add some flavor.

Agreed on the character avatar.

But displaying AP would be terrible. In fact, I wish I could hide it in game. People are always seeing how many I’ve scraped up and assuming I know what the hell I’m doing, asking me questions all kinds of questions, and then going away disappointed at how ignorant I actually am. I don’t need that pressure.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

mricezombie.4560

having ap shown in the forum is not making gw2 wow. I love gw2 and i don’t want to get it turned into wow. It’s the same as saying you have red healthbars in wow and in gw2 too. therefore gw2 = WoW, it’s not a relevant argument

But back on topic
Danikat.8537 i agree with you with you about daily farms and guild leaders. But if a player is above 8000 Ap or someting like that it doesn’t even matter, if you got 8000 or 18000 you are both really good players. it isn’t that much of a diffrence. Even if somebody has an insane amount of AP you cannot deny that he has done alot of normal achievemts either, because if you want alot of AP doing normal achievemetns is also necessary. By doing normal achievements you get a real good understanding of the game

It’s also more about filtering the garbage post and making it more easy not to pay attention to attention-seekers and mindless haters.

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

We currently have no plans to display AP totals on forum profiles.