Achievements: What's the deal?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Keira Wildflower.7304

Keira Wildflower.7304

Ok. So I understand that achievements need to be a challenge, I really do. But some of this years are a little ridiculous. Like the Festive Drinking Achievement. 10,000 “holiday” drinks. The amount of wintersday presents I’d have to open up is absolutely ridiculous. I could take 2 weeks vacation off of work and devote my life to Guild Wars 2 for those 2 weeks, AND STILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE THIS. The worst part is, you limited it to holiday drinks, and then put a 2 week timer on it. I don’t have gold for all the drinks I would need to do this. Not too mention I have to work, so I can’t spend as much time as I would like on farming up. The other notable achievement is the candy cane one. It’s more reasonable than the drinks one, but it still is a bit ridiculous. I can’t be the only one to notice this. Why, Anet? Do you hate us players that much?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ok. So I understand that achievements need to be a challenge, I really do. But some of this years are a little ridiculous. Like the Festive Drinking Achievement. 10,000 “holiday” drinks. The amount of wintersday presents I’d have to open up is absolutely ridiculous. I could take 2 weeks vacation off of work and devote my life to Guild Wars 2 for those 2 weeks, AND STILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH TO ACHIEVE THIS. The worst part is, you limited it to holiday drinks, and then put a 2 week timer on it. I don’t have gold for all the drinks I would need to do this. Not too mention I have to work, so I can’t spend as much time as I would like on farming up. The other notable achievement is the candy cane one. It’s more reasonable than the drinks one, but it still is a bit ridiculous. I can’t be the only one to notice this. Why, Anet? Do you hate us players that much?

If you read the threads concerning this issue that have Dev posts, you will find that there is no 2-week timer on this Achievement.

Good luck.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

The achievement will still be attainable after wintersday ends.

Only the activity dependent ones will cease to function.

Posted by: Darth Chain.1807

Darth Chain.1807

i agree with you 100% with SW farming and some jumping puzzle ive spent maybe 300g and just hit over 5,000 drinks. gaile gray said that the drink achievement would last throughout the year but its still BS in my mind. The 5,000 drink mark should be the limit or they should make the gifts a lot more abundant.

Posted by: Keira Wildflower.7304

Keira Wildflower.7304

If you read the threads concerning this issue that have Dev posts, you will find that there is no 2-week timer on this Achievement.

Good luck.

Do you have links to these posts? I did a quick browse and I didn’t see really anything related to Wintersday.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

But in game it says “Only available during Grindersday” on the Grinder’s Presence entry for the drink achievement. And where do I get Grindersday drink from when it’s no longers Grindersday?

hmmm dev posts have got “after thought, but not much of it” written all over them.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

But in game it says “Only available during Grindersday” on the Grinder’s Presence entry for the drink achievement. And where do I get Grindersday drink from when it’s no longers Grindersday?

hmmm dev posts have got “after thought, but not much of it” written all over them.

You can still get gifts from the Christmas tree in your home instance (if you completed the quest to get the Star of Gratitude), which produces one gift a day. That’s not much, but there will be people selling their gifts on the TP over the year, although there’s no guarantee it will be at the same rate is used to go for (around 6~7 silvers).

More importantly, however, is that this implies the achievement won’t reset in progress when the next Wintersday rolls around. Well, hopefully.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Yes, it’s a stupid achievement. The developers now know this, and I suspect did know this even before it was released. That begs the question why they did in the first place but that’s for another time.

Their band-aid solution is somewhat of a remedy for now. Let’s just hope they actually take time to understand the fundamental problem with this achievement so they don’t continual make these mistakes again and again in other areas of the game.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The achievement will still be attainable after wintersday ends.

Only the activity dependent ones will cease to function.

But can you still obtain drinks at a reasonable rate? I

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Doubt it, expectect TP flippers to play into it.