Acquiring gold: tips and tricks in this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KorbenDallas.6729

KorbenDallas.6729

Hey, what are some tips and tricks to gathering gold? Currently I just farm every material I see in the world and then I sell it at the Post. A bunch of low levels mats like iron and copper will get me around 1g /100-150 stack I think, but I imagine there’s better ways than that?

Currently I’m lvl 62 and moving up to 80 just goofind around.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Running dungeons at 80 will net more gold then farming. By and large farming materials is a waste of time, as they go for so little it’s not worth the time to farm. Even leveling professions you’re better option is to farm dungeons for gold and buy all the materials rather then farm the materials.

While leveling though gather anything around you and sell it all, it’s added profit. Don’t really worry about gold until 80 and even then it’s not exactly something you need to worry about.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

You will soon be able mine mine platinum, and as you explore the world you will unlock more areas, and will be bale to specifically target rich nodes, which should make your gather trips a lot faster.
(if you aren’t already using this)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1xffs0/permanent_rich_ore_locations_30_final_version/

Also, when you get high enough, start doing teq every day for 2+ gold, and a big chunk of karma.

There is also speed running dungeon paths, along with some other stuff.

Edit: Also, check the prices of the ingot version of the ores you’re selling, sometimes you’ll make more money if you refine them before selling, sometimes not.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: KorbenDallas.6729

KorbenDallas.6729

All right thanks for the info!

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Maize Balm farming in Bloodcost so broken atm easy 25gold + per hr

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Hit 80 and go to silverwastes, makes plenty of gold+karma (and you dont have to deal with dungeon kiddies raging about everything). You can also do edge of the mists, its a bit less profit but you get wvw xp from it

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

Maize balm farming in bloodcoast? Maize balm still drops???

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

25gold an hour? really? But the maize balm itself is so high in price – it barely worth the bother. You might make 25 gold an hour, but it costs most of that 25 gold to buy the stuff that makes it.

Unless Maize Balm has crashed, their is minimal profit in this these days.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

You can make it. However, the price is sooo high to buy the potions it’s not worth it – not anymore anyway. You are also limited to one potion crafted per account per day. Would probably make more money just selling the potions lol.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Copy pasting my answer:
Sw farm, world boss tour, low lvl dungeons. Sell rare weapons, salvage everything else for mats and sell it, spend lauriels only for t6 bags, buy insignias with guild commendations. You can also “farm” linen if you have enough karma, buy low lvl light gloves, throw them into forge then salvage what you get. That’s all i can think of

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

You can make it. However, the price is sooo high to buy the potions it’s not worth it – not anymore anyway. You are also limited to one potion crafted per account per day. Would probably make more money just selling the potions lol.

Well hey, I got the Maize Balm recipe during Halloween. I guess I should be crafting my one daily and selling that sucker along with my 1 plate of meaty plant food a day (which sadly is dropping in price considerably lately).

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Maize Balm costs 11.60s
7 ToTs gives you 24s after TP fees.

Do it with a friend to half the outlay

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

1 maize ideally creates 9 candy elementals. At 4s+ per bag, per elemental, yes, it is worth it.

And as said, farming with a friend reduces the cost of maize by half.

It is however, exceptionally boring after a while. :P

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

You can turn every form of currency in the game into gold one way or another. Karma, skill points, badges of honor, dungeon tokens, all of it can be turned into gold either by salvaging or using the mystic forge.

I just play the game however I feel I want to (I pvp and wvw only) and when I have a lot of stuff saved up, I start converting to gold. I’ve never had thousands of gold but I always have enough for whatever I feel like I want. Grinding feels like work – I don’t any to play a game to work.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

For casuals I would do the world bosses. Google gw2 dragon timers and you can find a few sites that let you know when is up.

For casuals to vets I would dungeon farm, got my first 2 legendaries this way. Even just a few simple easy quick paths can easily bring in 5-10g daily, add in some harder ones too like coe or arah and it can be 20+.

You can always buy gems and convert to gold. Laurels to t6 are a decent option.

There’s a new trend with the 50% off on the gw2 game that i’ve seen, basically people can buy multiple accounts, sometimes 5 or more, and either farm the easy dungeons quickly on all of them, craft the sell-able but limited to once a day ascended time gated items. Solo farm some dungeons and bring in their alt accounts for the extra gold rewards on completion (would require extra pc’s) and the easiest just logging in daily on all of them since with the auto rewards you can easily get a ton of t6 mats this way every month.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Treat the game like a $10-20/month sub model mmo, skip the grind play as you like.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Is there anything specific you want that you feel you need more gold than you get by just playing? Personally, I find that a healthy mix of gameplay (I like to level alts, play dungeons&fractals, wvw with friends, play unranked pvp) gives me more than enough gold on the side, without having to farm anything.

Just keep playing, and eventually the gold will pile up. Unless you need to have everything now, or better yet yesterday, buying everything from the tp is a sure way to go broke, but why do such a thing when most stuff can be gotten in-game through simply playing with just a little bit of patience?

Disclaimer: I have plenty of characters and achievement points, but no legendary weapon, because the precursor is the one thing that hasn’t shown up from regular play in 5k+ hours in this game, but other than a fancy skin it wouldn’t improve my enjoyment of the game anyway, so I don’t worry about it.