Add Dry Top Reward Mechanics to ALL maps

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I know, I can already sense it, I shall feel the farmer’s wrath….but

I personally would like to see the existing maps swapped to the Dry Top mechanic for event completion.

Having rewards delivered at the end of the event, rather that from those delicious champions.

Having extra rewards available for players coming together and completing events all around the map, maybe even the ability to add more meta events that trigger due to the success of players working all over the map.

Unique rewards for regions, Shiverpeaks, Kryta, Maguuma etc. with the same mechanics.

I can’t be the only one who wants to see players working to succeed events, being rewarded properly for once for doing it, and having some nice perks and extras for the effort everyone put in.

#StopTheTrain

Edit/Adding:

• I think a better design rather than the time-rush would be simply a momentum bar. A bar that fills while players complete events all across the zone, in essence, building momentum. If players start failing events, or less events get started/completed, the momentum will start to fade and the bar will start to drain.
    The more filled the bar, the better the current rewards will be. (rewards from vendors, as well as from event completions).

Similar to a tug of war, the players vs the zone (not the clock)

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think the best you can hope for is that new zones have similar mechanics.

Overhauling everything would be a far greater undertaking than you probably think.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I remember this being discussed somewhere – can’t remember the thread name.

I think the Dry Top setup has some advantages, but it also has some problems. Problems like the fact that everything is a time-pressure-race if you want to unlock the best rewards. Or the fact that you can’t break the monotony and go farm in a different zone if you’re going for Dry Top rewards. It’s been an incredibly easy zone for me to get burned out on.

Don’t get me wrong though; I’d be interested to see what it might look like in another zone, with some improvements. Particularly some of the classic zones, like Harathi Hinterlands (which already has some framework in place if they wanted to try a “zone-control / NPC vs. player” type of design).

Or words to that effect.

Zietlogik.6208

I think the Dry Top setup has some advantages, but it also has some problems. Problems like the fact that everything is a time-pressure-race if you want to unlock the best rewards. Or the fact that you can’t break the monotony and go farm in a different zone if you’re going for Dry Top rewards. It’s been an incredibly easy zone for me to get burned out on.

Don’t get me wrong though; I’d be interested to see what it might look like in another zone, with some improvements. Particularly some of the classic zones, like Harathi Hinterlands (which already has some framework in place if they wanted to try a “zone-control / NPC vs. player” type of design).

I think a better design rather than the time-rush would be simply a momentum bar.

A bar that fills while players complete events all across the zone, in essence, building momentum. If players start failing events, or less events get started/completed, the momentum will start to fade and the bar will start to drain.

The more filled the bar, the better the current rewards will be. (rewards from vendors, as well as from event completions). Similar to a tug of war, the players vs the zone (not the clock)

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think a better design rather than the time-rush would be simply a momentum bar.

A bar that fills while players complete events all across the zone, in essence, building momentum. If players start failing events, or less events get started/completed, the momentum will start to fade and the bar will start to drain.

The more filled the bar, the better the current rewards will be. (rewards from vendors, as well as from event completions). Similar to a tug of war, the players vs the zone (not the clock)

Agreed. ^^

I like the idea of an ongoing tug-of-war between players and zone that turns into reward vendors and such things. I mean, we already have the framework for tug-of-war in Harathi and I think one (if not all) of the Orr zones.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

No.

I loved Dry Top when it first came out, and still would if I could reliably find T6 maps, but that’s almost impossible anymore, and T4 maps are just not interesting. I also don’t enjoy that you are basically stuck on the same map for an hour or more, if I wanted that, I’d do dungeons. I like being able to do discrete 5-15 minute events, and then hope over to the next one on a different character.

If they do add new “meta chain” type stuff, then they need better abilities to jump onto a map where that meta is progressing, and also the personal rewards need to be based on your personal progress, not on what the other players are up to.

Like perhaps instead of favor being a map-wide thing, it’s something that builds for you each time you complete an event, some offering more than others, and it fades away over time, like for Drytop, maybe average of 1/2 a tier per event (so 12 total to reach T6), and it fades out like one tier per hour or something.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

I think the best you can hope for is that new zones have similar mechanics.

Overhauling everything would be a far greater undertaking than you probably think.

This. On a side note let’s not give Anet too many of these good ideas, or risk getting your expansion in 2025.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Dry Top has some interestic mechanics, but I still find it far from a good map.

When you have access to organized t6 runs, which unlock the best merchants and provide a good amount of geodes, you easily lose interest on those random t3-t4 maps.
I have no reason myself to work towards a higher tier unlock (which would be still unlikely to happen) for 40 minutes when I can have a t6 one if needed on a daily basis, so I just port to random maps before the sandstorm arrives and focus on doing the “farmeable” events (2x Dust Mites, 2x Haze, a couple of champs and maybe Skritt/Mine if I’m lucky for some extra geodes if the tier is high enough) and looking for some chests scattered around, not so different from the trains you can see in many other maps.

The thing I like the most about Dry Top is receiving part of the reward on a floating chest, so it remains the same no matter how many people were involved on the event.
I have always thought that all the open world should have worked this way, so players could find any event somewhat rewarding no matter if done alone, with a couple of friends or a whole giant guild. Maybe some lootable enemies could appear upon reaching a threshold of lets say 5 people, slightly encouraging grouping up, but the big part of the reward should remain untouched.
This would work IMHO far better than the current system, where most events (and almost every single one if alone) are close to a waste of time reward wise (I’ve found myself running past them and suddenly stopping to gather some platinum node … this should be enough indicative of the issue) and just a few (those that scalate “properly” and, for some people, those involving champs too) deserve some player attention, and usually only if you can gather a good amount of people for them.

Even with the floating chests, however, Dry Top still suffers from this strong correlation between rewards and scaling, where some events can be easily zerged and scalated for better loot (Dust Mites, Skritts, …) while those more suited for solo or really small groups (Tendrils, Baskets, Serene, …) drop next to nothing.
This is specially problematic for the map because you want these events done in order to unlock the highest tier, so technically the system expects some players to be altruistic enough and sacrifice their own loot for the common good.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I like the idea.

I remembered when playing war hammer online(when that game is still alive), I love it when a whole server would come together and try to accomplish tasks together.

That being said, I don’t actually enjoy events like this in GW2. Because people have the ability to switch maps. And the first things people asks are usually “is anyone in a good map?”.

Ohoni.6057

That being said, I don’t actually enjoy events like this in GW2. Because people have the ability to switch maps. And the first things people asks are usually “is anyone in a good map?”.

Yes, although the primary sin here is not that you can change maps, and not that people ask for good maps, but that there exist bad maps, that no matter how much time and effort you put in on the map you’re on, if a sufficiently large number of the players are either unwilling or unable to also participate at a high enough level, you’ll never get the higher tier rewards from it.

What they need to do is either make it far easier to match up well coordinated players, OR make it not require such complete map-wide interaction in order to reach the best rewards, preferably both.

done by now.”

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Like others have said, I think it is more reasonable to expect similar mechanics in future maps, but probably not with older ones.

One thing I would like to see is for them to use this mechanic when we eventually fight Mordremoth (and future elder dragons) – basically an entire zone dedicated to pre events leading to the actual elder dragon fight out in the open world. Set it on a loop (like they did with DryTop – but possibly ever 3-4 hours instead of every hour) and it would be a pretty cool story style event we could play through ad infinitum.

The thing that alot of people overlook about drytop is that the differences between a T1 and a T6 are not really significant – at least in terms of reward. Its nice to be in a higher tier map and it definitely feels like you accomplished something, but it isnt game breaking or even unfun if you do end up in a T1.

All in all, I really like this direction and would be happy if they continued to employ it (especially if they used it for the elder dragon fight ).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

One problem I see with this suggestion is that some of the Dry Top events fail even with a fair number of people. If every map had similar mechanics, there would not be enough players in all of them. How fun would Dry Top be if only a few people were there? As it is, some maps have things for small numbers of players to do. Sometimes I prefer playing like that. I would not want every map to require a mass of players to get things done.

Ohoni.6057

The thing that alot of people overlook about drytop is that the differences between a T1 and a T6 are not really significant – at least in terms of reward. Its nice to be in a higher tier map and it definitely feels like you accomplished something, but it isnt game breaking or even unfun if you do end up in a T1.

It kinda is. From a purely event reward perspective, attempting and completing all the same events, you’re looking to get nearly double the geodes on a T6 run as on a T4 (from :00 to :59), more if you don’t even make T4. Then you factor in that a T4- run likely doesn’t have their kitten together as well as a T5+ map does, meaning they’re likely to fail events, and failed events leave no geodes, or they just don’t run them efficiently. A T3- map is likely to have Moas and Coatal Queens running around after their turns, mite farms with 2-3 people standing around, Skritt Queens with 3-4 people around, etc. so in practical terms, you’re likely to make even less than half as many geodes.

And then we factor in that most of the things you buy with those geodes will cost considerably more at lower tiers.

I think that it’s a bit ridiculous when people try to make the case that we shouldn’t mind not getting T6 every time we try.

done by now.”

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

ooooh, no. Its same thing like pavillion. And, i called it right back then. This kind of maps should be rare exception.

And they again messed up rewards, though not as bad as pavillion, but not much better.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

All i want is to get some proper rewards when doing “normal” events in other zones, and
not just 98 copper or whatever. However i don’t want them to turn into another Dry Top
that feels just like a giant Champ-Train map. I mean .. how many events are there that
can really be done solo ?

All i really want is something to make map exploration again feel a little more
rewarding and not like a giant waste of time because you could have earn so much
more if you do something else.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Zietlogik.6208

ooooh, no. Its same thing like pavillion. And, i called it right back then. This kind of maps should be rare exception.

And they again messed up rewards, though not as bad as pavillion, but not much better.

No, not really, this isn’t about the clock game, it is just about a basic progression across a map, everyone can participate to it just by doing events anywhere on the map. Pavillion was a zerg run, clockwise scramble against a clock, nothing the same if it is built right.

One problem I see with this suggestion is that some of the Dry Top events fail even with a fair number of people. If every map had similar mechanics, there would not be enough players in all of them. How fun would Dry Top be if only a few people were there? As it is, some maps have things for small numbers of players to do. Sometimes I prefer playing like that. I would not want every map to require a mass of players to get things done.

This is not an issue with the reward system, it is an issue with how the events are designed, which can potentially be changed on the fly, so it should not be an issue.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I know, I can already sense it, I shall feel the farmer’s wrath….but

I personally would like to see the existing maps swapped to the Dry Top mechanic for event completion.

I haven’t been to dry top since i finished that part of my living story. That should tell you something about how i feel about this proposal.

No, i don’t think that Dry Top is something future content should be modeled on.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

MikaHR.1978

No, not really, this isn’t about the clock game, it is just about a basic progression across a map, everyone can participate to it just by doing events anywhere on the map. Pavillion was a zerg run, clockwise scramble against a clock, nothing the same if it is built right.

This is not an issue with the reward system, it is an issue with how the events are designed, which can potentially be changed on the fly, so it should not be an issue.

It is the same template as pavillion. Wih all the same quirks and same “if its not gold”=“if its not t5+ map” crap.

And no, redesgning whole map with events cannot be done “on the fly” lol

What happens when dry top indeed becomes….dry top (and how its set up its self destructive system). 1 odd maplike that isquite enough for a long long while.

Zietlogik.6208

It is the same template as pavillion. Wih all the same quirks and same “if its not gold”=“if its not t5+ map” crap.

What happens when dry top indeed becomes….dry top (and how its set up its self destructive system). 1 odd maplike that isquite enough for a long long while.

Again you seem to have failed to understand this at all.

No I am not suggesting a tier system, read past the title.

And yes they can, and have, changed events MANY times on the fly, in various patches. the events get changed, not the map, which is what you seem to be misinterpreting, and that line I wrote was only for the events that are not balanced properly to its scaling, hence the quote to Indigo

Reading comprehension…

MikaHR.1978

And yes they can, and have, changed events MANY times on the fly, in various patches. the events get changed, not the map, which is what you seem to be misinterpreting, and that line I wrote was only for the events that are not balanced properly to its scaling, hence the quote to Indigo

Reading comprehension…

Really, go to your FIRST post and read it. Thats EXACTLY what you propose (no. of tiers is irrelevant, is it a “bar” tier or “number” tier is irrelevant)

I dont think “on the fly” means what you think it means……

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

no way i like the old zones and dry top, do not need copy pasta event style for everything

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Zietlogik.6208

Reading comprehension…

Really, go to your FIRST post and read it. Thats EXACTLY what you propose (no. of tiers is irrelevant, is it a “bar” tier or “number” tier is irrelevant)

I dont think “on the fly” means what you think it means……

Let me simplify it for you, since it seems to complex for you to understand:

a.) the mechanic would be perpetual (not reliant on timers, you don’t have to do X event in Y amount of time at Z time)

b.) the rewards per event are improved globally, with additional optional rewards depending on the perpetual bar

c.) The optional rewards are determined by the momentum bar, which is altered by any player completing events anywhere in the map.

Think of the momentum bar similar to how the Adrenaline bar works for warrior.

All-in-all, the maps would be the same, nearly exactly the same, but with higher rewards for events, and additional rewards for player interaction.

I cannot fathom how people are misunderstanding this so greatly….please don’t post unless your brain works please >.>

btw, on the fly just means they are working on changing things while the game is running….which I guess you do not realize, is how every single one of their updates is.

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

I’d like to see it a bit differently, actually. Make the bar per player, not zone. So that the more events you are active in for each zone, your personal bar gets filled more. Have it fill more, the more you are active in the event. Then, even if no one else is around, you have a chance at unlocking better rewards for yourself, and those that leech (their pets do the work while they AFK) don’t get the rewards. It still has a time factor, as it should go down, the longer you go without doing an event.