Add WvW rank 30 requirement for Commander tag

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

They did it for the Gift of Battle, so they can clearly do it for the Commander tag as well. If they did this the Commander tag would actually come to mean something. Right now, a Commander tag does not mean that the player wielding the tag knows anything at all of WvW, but instead only means that the player with said tag knows how to make money. If they were to add a WvW rank requirement for the acquisition of Commander tags, you could actually assume that the player knows at least a decent amount about WvW. Furthermore, I think they should simultaneously refund all Commander tags (people can still buy them back, if they have WvW rank 30), essentially resetting all the commanders so that everyone starts on equal footing and so that we know every single commander is held to the same standards.

I think this would improve the quality of the average commander in WvW.

[EDIT on 2/6/14] A PvE commander tag has also been suggested (see further down in the thread) with different requirements for the PvE commander tag, of course. I think this would be a great idea. Especially if they were made separate tags, with different requirements on each (and the ability to get both, obviously).

[EDIT] PS – Commander tags should also be made account-bound rather than soul-bound, preferably at the same time.

[EDIT]In regards to the Gift of Battle requiring WvW rank 30, if you have a comment please take it to the Rank 30 WvW Required for Gift of Battle Grind thread.

(edited by Bron.9647)

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

AAAAAAAhahahahahahha. No legendary, ever. : -DDDDDDD

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Seriously, who even comes up with such ideas. “2 months of grind are clearly not enough, let’s push the kittens some moar!”.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

@OP: This is a great idea for WvW, if they can make it a requirement for activating the commander tag within WvW, however it shouldn’t restrict it from use in PvE (let some other factor restrict that).

As for the Rank 30 issue, it’s like Anet is trying every last means possible to jump the shark.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Oh my… -cringe-

Good thing I’d already purchased 4 Gifts of Battle back when AP chests were introduced and before the wallet was released, so I had to buy something with all the Badges piling up in my bank.

Bron.9647

In regards to the Gift of Battle requiring WvW rank 30, if you have a comment please take it to the Rank 30 WvW Required for Gift of Battle Grind thread.

Back on topic:
I just found out that rank 30 is not max rank in WvW (never really looked into WvW rank). In that case, I’m not sure rank 30 would be the best requirement (it might be, but maybe something higher might be better too). In any case, I think some level of WvW rank should definitely be a requirement to obtain a commander tag (at least for WvW).

@ Neural: I think you have a good point about Commander tags in PvE. Commander tags are definitely useful in PvE as well (like for Orr temple events and other large world events). Maybe the addition of a PvE Commander tag might be good (thus keeping WvW Commander tags exclusively in WvW and PvE Commander tags exclusively in PvE). Though, I’m not sure what the requirement should be . . . I was thinking maybe a certain amount of AP, but AP can also be acquired in PvP and WvW (you don’t have to do anything in PvE to get AP), which would just lead to the same problem we currently have in WvW with commanders.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

If they where to do this, then it would really need to be retro active. If you already have a tag, you should not be able to activate it again until you reach rank 30.

Bron.9647

If they where to do this, then it would really need to be retro active. If you already have a tag, you should not be able to activate it again until you reach rank 30.

That’s exactly why I suggested simultaneously refunding all commander tags. That way it would be retroactive in that you would need WvW rank 30 to display the tag (because you wouldn’t have it otherwise). However, people that have already bought a commander tag but do not have rank 30 yet would not be losing out on 100 gold. In other words, I completely agree.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

That’s exactly why I suggested simultaneously refunding all commander tags. That way it would be retroactive in that you would need WvW rank 30 to display the tag (because you wouldn’t have it otherwise). However, people that have already bought a commander tag but do not have rank 30 yet would not be losing out on 100 gold. In other words, I completely agree.

I like the idea of a refund. I have a tag myself. If they required a rank 30 I would gladly return it for my 100 gold. I like the idea of a PvE version as well. Maybe a different colored one for PvE? They do come in handy for some PvE events. Or what they could even do, is if your under rank 30, you can display it in PvE but not WvW. When you reach rank 30, it allows you to display it in WvW and changes the color, maybe gold to show you are a real commander and not just someone who had 100 gold?

Posted by: Ralron.8124

Ralron.8124

they cant do that for 1 reason.

Commander Tag is Just as viable in PvE! witch people dont seem to understand or know.

I command a BUNCH of World events (boss , temples , LS ..ect..) yet i NEVER go in WvW. so for people like me this would really turn me off.

Unless they add some sort of req for a PvE Tag..

(edited by Ralron.8124)

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

They can have different requirements for activating them (not buying)

So anyone still can buy them, with the warning about requirement to activate them, but only those who meet the requirement can make a squad.

Why put the restriction to making a squad and not to purchasing it?

Because if PvE also has a requirement (let’s say 5k AP) and someone meets the PvE requirement but has never set a foot in WvW, that person would be able to tag in WvW without knowing what’s going on, fixing absolutely nothing.

Bron.9647

@Ralron: That’s why the idea of a PvE tag came up, which I personally think is an excellent idea. This way there would be one requirement for having a commander tag in WvW and a different requirement in PvE.

@Alukah:
Regarding the PvE requirement, the idea was to have a WvW commander tag and a PvE commander tag (two separate commander tags, one exclusively for PvE and one exclusively for WvW). Although, now that I think about it the cost should probably be reduced a bit, since the functionality would also be reduced (because the tag would only be displayable in WvW or PvE, depending on what kind of tag it is). However, there should be nothing preventing a player from having both tags on the same char. Granted they could also do it the way you’re suggesting with different requirements on activating it depending on if the player is in WvW or PvE. However, I think it might be better as two separate tags, since a lot of people tend to play one profession in WvW and another profession in PvE. (and a lot of people play only PvE or only WvW)

PS – I still say these commander tags should be account bound, not character bound, but I’m going off the assumption that they won’t be account bound.

(edited by Bron.9647)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

they cant do that for 1 reason.

Commander Tag is Just as viable in PvE! witch people dont seem to understand or know.

I command a BUNCH of World events (boss , temples , LS ..ect..) yet i NEVER go in WvW. so for people like me this would really turn me off.

Unless they add some sort of req for a PvE Tag..

You can buy WvW ranks with laurels and badges of honor.

Laurels come from dailies and monthlies. Badge of honor drop from the achievement point chests.

So it would show that a player has spent time in the game doing something. Which is more than can be currently said.

Right now a person can buy the game, open their wallet, buy gems, convert to gold, and buy a commander tag as soon as they can get to the person who sells it.