Add-on Implementation.

Add-on Implementation.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cabbage.4085

Cabbage.4085

Have there been any news concerning ANet implementing some sort of add-on support(like many other games) to Guild Wars 2?

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Amnon.4769

Amnon.4769

As far as I know, the official stance is that addons will not be permitted nor supported in this game.

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

You misunderstood.

I was talking about ANet implementing an Add-on API and supporting the development of Add-ons.

Add-on Implementation.

Amnon.4769

I did not misunderstand; they will NOT permit addons nor support them. There will be no implementation of it because they do not want one.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: wollie.9751

wollie.9751

there motto is: play the game not the UI

so no addons.

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

And where did ANet say this?

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Orbys.4895

Orbys.4895

Yeah I read that somewhere too. Anet is 100% against add ons and whats the game played the way they made it. Full control on their part. Anyone caught using add ons is instantly terminated.

Which kind of sucks, because I have read about some interesting add ons people had in mind, or actually have made that would make this game so much better.

Heres to hoping Anet changes its mind. Add on support would be good.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

They said something about an API for things like mobile apps.

I think the definition of the word addon is the issue here.

Add-on Implementation.

Amnon.4769

API is for external applications (think WoW Armory), an addon is an in-game extension. I don’t think anyone here is confusing the two.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: McKnighter.6472

McKnighter.6472

They should make an app that let’s you access guild chat. :P

(Baroness) Noria Dolance, Human Mesmer
Tandrel, Sylvari Guardian

Add-on Implementation.

Nageth.5648

The OP’s second post said API and addon in the same sentence (literally right next to each other).

Hence why I was stating there might be a communication issue here.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

I wish they added an API to export the market data. I like to number crunch and make data sheets

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

I am not talking about an application that runs outside of the game client.

I.E. Runes of Magic’s add-ons or World of Warcraft’s add-ons. (Which run within the game client and have access to a set of commands, functions or the API allowed by the game developers)

Please try not to confuse bots with Add-ons, I am talking about allowing the ability to change the UI or customisability of the map, in-game timers etc.

Add-on Implementation.

Nageth.5648

Ah, well in that case no we’re not getting anything like that. One of the stated goals of the game is to reduce reliance on the UI (e.g. we don’t have cast bars but instead we have exaggerated cast animations). So it isn’t a botting issue but rather a game design philosophy issue.

Add-on Implementation.

Amnon.4769

I feel your pain, Cabbage – I would also love to have certain addons in GW, but ANet’s current stance is that they don’t want them. They want every player to play the game using the same tools.

I can sort of understand where they’re coming from. They want a leveled playing field, and they don’t want people checking out everyone else’ DPS meters and being jerks about it.

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

Yes, now onto my second point, where did an ANet official/gm state this?

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

There was a massive thread about it about 10 days ago, one of the Anet team posted tto the above effect.

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

There was a massive thread about it about 10 days ago, one of the Anet team posted tto the above effect.

Link? I would like to read that thread.

I am rather disappointed that we are being forced to play the game in a single way. I personally enjoy a very slim and clean UI, where I cannot see anything except for my mini-map.

It would be nice if UI scaling could be implemented at least.

Add-on Implementation.

Amnon.4769

I think the idea is for ANet to control the flow of information to the player. They want to avoid minmaxing (recount), and unfair advantages (think of Deadly Boss Mods alert telling you to dodge when your opponent is casting a long attack).

Not all addons are evil, but once that hatch opens it’s hard to control it.

Add-on Implementation.

Nageth.5648

There is some UI scaling already in and you can move your mini map around (as well as resize). It isn’t a load of customization but it is there.

Add-on Implementation.

Cabbage.4085

There is some UI scaling already in and you can move your mini map around (as well as resize). It isn’t a load of customization but it is there.

Yes but it doesn’t make things small enough.

(It also breaks the Auction House’s text when set on Small)

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

The only thing I’d like is for them to open the UI up like they did with GW1. As for their stance, I’m sure you could google it as I do remember them recently saying it as well as having said it multiple times since GW1 was up and running.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Just like in GW, addons are not necessary in this game. We don’t need dps meters, gtfo indicators, or any other addons that serve to dumb down a game only to have it’s users complain about how easy the game has become.

There is already this “combat” addon which I feel is completely against the ToS as it gives an advantage to those who use it. Hopefully Anet sees the light and bans it’s users.

Learn to play the game the way it was intended, without training wheels and elbow pads. Stop crutching.

The only thing I’d like is for them to open the UI up like they did with GW1.

I only played GW1 up until EotN. At that point there was a lot of element adjustment available to the player. That I would really like to see in GW2, moving elements around the screen to more optimal locations for each user, scaling each seperately, etc. Hopefully that gets done at some point in the future, until then I am fine with the way it is.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

GW2 is the first MMO that I’ve played where you really don’t need addons. In WoW/Rift, you’re at a serious disadvantage against a lot of your foes if you don’t have some kind of notification system.

GW2 does what it does very well, and I don’t really see the need for addons at this moment.

The only thing I wouldn’t mind would be a DPS meter simply for my curisoity’s sake. It’s hard to know which classes actually deal more damage than others.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: pmiles.3489

pmiles.3489

Why not make a request to turn on/off UI interface elements. Like show/hide chat window, show/hide map, show/hide quest tracker, show/hide party, show/hide menu.

The interface is already cleaner than most games are, but they could probably add a toggle for those who don’t care to show those elements and just use a hot key to display them.

Add-on Implementation.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

And where did ANet say this?

Quite a few times over the game’s development for the past three or so years.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)