Add option to switch off graphical junk

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

I’ve already set the Character Model Quality setting to “lowest” to get rid of most of the distracting crap but there are still improvements to be had.

The game needs an option to switch off graphical junk that only clutters the screen and does not aid in play.

Examples: all pets and minis, all back items such as animated wings and the awful spinal blades and all annoying graphical crud from legendary weapons.

This stuff gets in the way of game play.

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

I am not understanding your issue. Can you explain why you are against the basic aesthetics of this game?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

how does it get in the way of gameplay?

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

What needs to be toned down more than anything are particle effects. If there are more than a few players around it can get so cluttered it is hard to tell who is using what depending on the classes and can make it hard to see dodge ques.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I’ve been asking for an option to remove all ugly FX from the armor and weapons of the players around me but hey, who cares about aesthetic, right? (here comes another sparkling, in flames, tentacle monster, holding something ridiculous made of floating cats and lightnings… ).

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

lol , uninstall and all the ‘’ graphical junk ’’ will go away ..

This game is all about aesthetics and ‘’ look at me ’’ , if you really don’t like it you’re playing the wrong game. I know someone who think that legendary are inflated toys and hate them .. but the same person change his look often and always have the last Black lion weapon skin .. so …

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

This game is all about aesthetics and ‘’ look at me ’’ , if you really don’t like it you’re playing the wrong game. I know someone who think that legendary are inflated toys and hate them .. but the same person change his look often and always have the last Black lion weapon skin .. so …

You mean, it’s what the game is about for you. Obviously the op is not concerned about seeing everyone else’s “catwalk strut” , and I couldn’t agree more with the op that it would be nice to have more control over what we do and don’t see displayed on our screens.

(edited by ShadowPuppet.3746)

Posted by: Charleston Chew.1209

Charleston Chew.1209

I agree uninstall seems like best option for OP. If people spend their time farming skins they have every right showing them off, especially since farming skins is THE endgame in GW2.

Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

What needs to be toned down more than anything are particle effects. If there are more than a few players around it can get so cluttered it is hard to tell who is using what depending on the classes and can make it hard to see dodge ques.

Quoting for emphasis. The player cosmetics the OP is on about are nothing compared to particle FX, especially since Mega Server was shoved down my throat.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The OP has a legitimate issue. Along with that there also needs to be an option to disable display of commander tags. All this junk and clutter serves no purpose other than ego-fluff.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Quoting for emphasis. The player cosmetics the OP is on about are nothing compared to particle FX, especially since Mega Server was shoved down my throat.

At this point, after two years, I even question if it’s possible.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Please refer to: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Maybe-GW2-is-not-the-game-for-you/page/3#post4444567

It wasn’t like this on release… not that many flashy armors, only “in flamez” was COF and at least it followed a concept. Legendaries were supposed to be legendaries so again, special FX on just that was not that bad… today its worst than playing WOW

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I do as well. If Anet were totally transparent, my guess is we’d be told that the game engine won’t support a slider, kind of like it doesn’t support multiple players stacking conditions in large events.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

The OP has a legitimate issue. Along with that there also needs to be an option to disable display of commander tags. All this junk and clutter serves no purpose other than ego-fluff.

You can do this for yourself now. When you start up the game choose any random commander and join their squad, then map off to play where you want to play. Since you’re already in a squad you won’t be able to see any other commander icons.

If I could get rid of the visual effects of people with Sunrise or Twilight painting the enemy to death I would love it.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Bad idea, what would be the point of having awesome skins if all the jelous people could turn them off?

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I would also like to see an option to hide minis, and an option to hide ambient creature name plates, seperate from hide enemy nameplates.

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

As any first-year art student knows, what an artist leaves out is as important as what she puts in.

GW II has a beautiful artistic style but it is getting polluted with mini dolls, dancing-bologna back pieces, legendary weapon dirty footprints and birthday guns.

In addition to ruining the beauty of the game, they distract from game play by cluttering the screen and sucking attention to themselves.

Other people can keep all the digital pixel ego sauce they want around their own characters on their own screens. Just give me an option to switch it all off on my screen.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

While I don’t necessarily agree with the OP, there are two type of ‘look at me’ people

1st case: ‘Look at me, I spent time and effort to make this character look amazing’

2nd case: ‘Look at me, I put every freaking gaudy effect I could find on this character and made it as large and hideous as possible…. MY PARENTS NEVER GAME ME ENOUGH ATTENTION, NOTICE ME NOTICE ME NOTICE ME!’

Unfortunately with the advent of crap like super saiyan hair and plushy backpacks this game is attracting more and more of the latter.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I absolutely support this.
Everythign that can improve the personal game performance for everyone should be activateable …

If I don’t want to see Minipets from others, there should be an option to deactivate them.
If I don’t want to see animated Backpieces, there should be an option to deactivate them.

Everything that the game doens’t have to calculate and to show for me, will improve the game performance in form of FPS for me.

@ Malediktus: Such an opinion if you mean this serious, do I find absolutely selfish of yours. Who are you to decide, if I have to see all of your visual junk, if that stuff would massively affect my personal game performance, if just by turning off all of those minipets, backpieces, legendary weapon effects ect. in places like WvW, or Tequatl/Tripple Troule could give a person like a performance boost of a few FPS more???

Other people can keep all the digital pixel ego sauce they want around their own characters on their own screens. Just give me an option to switch it all off on my screen

This, just this! QFT Everyone has for his7herself the rights to decide, what they want to see and what they don’t want to see. all of this visual screen clutter could get somewhat more reduced down to a normal level, if the graphics options would provide us in the menu a way to deactivate all that crap that you don’t like to see at moments, where it could heavily affect your game performance more, than needed.

And people surely don’t play this game, just to see how “awesome” you are Malediktus.
Nobody cares about such things, what people are usign in this game, when just too much screen clutter is easily the reason for somebodies preventable disconnections.

Such a change would in no way affect You, as you would still be able to see yourself in all your glorious ego sauce, but it would massively help alot of people, which have lower end with not so perfect graphic cards

I’d love to play for example WvW with higher environmental graphic settings, but as long such screen clutter around legendaries, minipets, animated backpieces or massive aoe skill spam effects are there in a huge zerg clash, I can forget this.
Without all this stupid screen clutter from stuff, I could care less about I might be able perhaps so increase something in the graphic settings 1 or 2 steps higher about which I personally actually DO care about.

Everyone should be free to decide and to customize the graphic settings of his game fitting to the computer spects to his/her likings and this includes in my opinion also all of those fine details, like minis, backpieces legendary effects ect. …which are all just only a nice to see, but in absolute no way at all an absolute must.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I thought this was about all the graphical effects that can get in the way during a fight (guardian’s flame, engineers, explosion and light everywhere). This can really get in the way.

People with flashy things isn’t too bothersome.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

my computer can easily handle gw2 but i still play with most of the graphics turned down, then you see some warrior fly across the screen like a nyan cat power ranger..
¬_¬

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

If someone choosing to not display all your character’s ridiculous affects on their screen bothers you, perhaps it’s time you take a good long look at your life.

I agree with the OP’s suggestion as well as the suggestion to be able to turn down/off particle effects.

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

holding something ridiculous made of floating cats and lightnings… ).

I want that something!!!!

On a (slightly) more serious note, yeah… particle effects need reduced. Bad.
World bosses are a white rainbow ball. Not that you need to care what it is they do anyway …. >.>

As far as people running around trying to be a unique snowflake… eh. Congrats. You’re a unique snowflake. Just like all the rest of them.
Caveat: I adore seeing people who take the time to make their characters look a certain, non-tacky way.

-making the skimpiest clothing on your female character would be in the tacky category… until they allow male characters to wear the exact same skins.

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.

…No wait, wrong game.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I do as well. If Anet were totally transparent, my guess is we’d be told that the game engine won’t support a slider, kind of like it doesn’t support multiple players stacking conditions in large events.

Good god, are you me?

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I completely support this and have asked for it on occasion.

The ability to turn off others backpacks, minis, weapon effects and particles would be amazing. Or at the very least, a slider or option that turns it all into very very subtle effects rather than this eye bleeding “Where’s the mob?” mess we have now.

Additionally, people asking to be able to turn off the commander tags has been around since launch – it’s still ignored and now ten times worse…

Personally, I don’t have performance issues; but my eyes are garbage and seeing through the muck makes it much less enjoyable.