Adding a trinity to Guild Wars 2

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleuth.7964

Sleuth.7964

When the devs were making this game they said they would have a trinity but it wouldn’t be the holy trinity it would be Support, Control, Damage, I have yet to see this so I was hoping if in the future they could add something for people who want to help allies and want to protect allies as a job.

I came up with this that might be able to help with the suuport control and damage.

1. Allow toughness stat to increase the chance of mobs attacking a player
2. Give players a new trait to allow their class heal to be able to be used on other players along with making new weapon sets be purely for supporting players. Then allowing to switch do a different weapon set to keep damaging .

This video helps describe more to what I’m trying to get here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBxStGB6-UE

Hopefully with these changes maybe Anet could add large scale dungeons and less of clustered instances for players who seem to complain about that

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

No?

Bad idea is bad. This isn’t WoW, thank you. Not to mention it has already been discussed over and over. And also it’s a suggestion, so it should have been posted in the Suggestion Forum (aka our Oblivion Forum).

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

what you’re showing there is exactly tank, healer, damager. No thank you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Guild Wars 2 pve has no trinity, not even duality, its just damage. This is because mobs are immune to most control effects and due to lack of AI, the best support is just dodging their blind attacks.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Those sound closer to the traditional Tank and Healer, sorry. Support is things like AoE Aegis and Time Warp, control is things like Banish and Head Shot. If you want them to be brought into usefulness, you need enemies to be able to pressure parties so that they can’t go full zerker and expect to win, and you need to severely tone down defiant on bosses.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Suggestions

Master of Timespace.2548

Those sound closer to the traditional Tank and Healer, sorry. Support is things like AoE Aegis and Time Warp, control is things like Banish and Head Shot. If you want them to be brought into usefulness, you need enemies to be able to pressure parties so that they can’t go full zerker and expect to win, and you need to severely tone down defiant on bosses.

No, you should be able to win with full zerger*, but only if your team packs a good amount of coordinated support and control. Currently you need just damage.

*Otherwise it’s just a gear check and you might just as well not let full zerger parties even try the dungeon in the firstplace.

in Suggestions

Dual.8953

No, you should be able to win with full zerger*, but only if your team packs a good amount of coordinated support and control. Currently you need just damage.

*Otherwise it’s just a gear check and you might just as well not let full zerger parties even try the dungeon in the firstplace.

Better then the current Zerk or gtfo meta.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Suggestions

Master of Timespace.2548

Why? Is PVT or gtfo better? Gear check is a gear check, it’s all the same wheter it is armor or dps check.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

No?

Bad idea is bad. This isn’t WoW, thank you. Not to mention it has already been discussed over and over. And also it’s a suggestion, so it should have been posted in the Suggestion Forum (aka our Oblivion Forum).

Did you watch the video?

in Suggestions

Dual.8953

Why? Is PVT or gtfo better? Gear check is a gear check, it’s all the same wheter it is armor or dps check.

Balanced comps should be the norm. Comps that lean towards an extreme should be reserved for those willing to compensate for their blatant flaws. Risk vs reward and what not.
Basically, throwing zerker warriors with greatswords should not be the optimal strategy for every dungeon. (I know I’m exagurating, but dps > all shouldn’t be the meta)

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

(edited by Dual.8953)

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Anet said they wanted support control and damage right now its purely damage as seen from the video. Just watch it and don’t accuse me of trying to make this game like WoW. WoW isn’t the only game with a trinity Jesus people. I want to play a support ranger but I cant all I can do is put my hearing spring down and no one even cares they just continue to zerg the bosses. That isn’t engaging or fun. Every class should be able to take hits or help team mates. That isn’t a HOLY trinity where its just people clicking on the group tap spamming their heals.

Think of it as a moba where there are bruisers and there are supports.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

At least they could add some synergy to professions just one reason to bring anything else than berserk warriors just a little more than only dps. Stop nerfing all abilities unique to professions until we are left with only autoattack and everyone will be warrior. Just a couple useful support spells.
Mobs got 60k+ hp and they 1-3 shot you with pretty fast attacks. protection could make you survive 2-five(5 is censored) hits instead but you are still gimping you’re party trying to heal instead of just hitting 30k with hundred blades.
There is just no room for support in this game, and barely room for control.
one of the most useful skills is temporal curtain and time warp.
Trash mobs that die in 2 seconds can be pulled but where its actually needed they are immune to all CC.
Just some skills that amplify damage a reason to bring something else than warrior which have the 3 most useful support abilities, might, vulnerability, fury.
No need for a trinity but something more than only a dps race.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

At least they could add some synergy to professions just one reason to bring anything else than berserk warriors just a little more than only dps. Stop nerfing all abilities unique to professions until we are left with only autoattack and everyone will be warrior. Just a couple useful support spells.
Mobs got 60k+ hp and they 1-3 shot you with pretty fast attacks. protection could make you survive 2-five(5 is censored) hits instead but you are still gimping you’re party trying to heal instead of just hitting 30k with hundred blades.
There is just no room for support in this game, and barely room for control.
one of the most useful skills is temporal curtain and time warp.
Trash mobs that die in 2 seconds can be pulled but where its actually needed they are immune to all CC.
Just some skills that amplify damage a reason to bring something else than warrior which have the 3 most useful support abilities, might, vulnerability, fury.
No need for a trinity but something more than only a dps race.

Either way its a still a trinity i’m just asking for a soft trinity not the holy trinity like games like WoW or SWTOR. Even Wildstar. If it was there we could really see anet adding better boss battles and such.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

toughness is already a factor to aggro mechanics, read up on the wiki.

as for healing, there are certain classes that when traited and geared can be pretty close to a healer playstyle.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

in Suggestions

Posted by: red.2387

red.2387

I would like to see healing be a more viable playstyle. I would love to see more traits and weapon skills aimed at being a primary healer. I think this would help WvW a lot, if skilled healers could keep groups up versus unskilled zergs.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

I would like to see healing be a more viable playstyle. I would love to see more traits and weapon skills aimed at being a primary healer. I think this would help WvW a lot, if skilled healers could keep groups up versus unskilled zergs.

Not exactly a “primary” healer but a like support class like a moba game. But yeah zergs gotta go.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

high end dungeons “holy trinity” = guardian + dps class + mesmer

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

high end dungeons “holy trinity” = guardian + dps class + mesmer

basically

in Suggestions

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

Lol @ ^ people who think Guardians are req’d anymore for Dungeon Speed clear
Go read the actual Subforum for it … no guessing necessary Folks

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

If a relatively small number of healers could outheal the damage done by a zerg, then in what way would it not become a requirement to have healers? Primary healers are the bane of open grouping.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

because cof1 is high end dungeon for you i assume

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Trinity doesn’t solve anything though. Adding a trinity will just dumb down the game even more. The solo lupi warrior video didn’t prove anything but that the player was skilled enough to understand and dodge all the mechanics the boss threw out. Something trinity implemented games probably couldn’t do but in a group of 5, it would be a billion times easy than a group of 5 currently. So what’s your point? add trinity so the game gets dumb downed even more but at least people are forced to group up and worship tanks and healers? or instead, people still have to group up to finish a dungeon but some elites c an choose to solo a dungeon and taking 10x longer.

I disagree with many things anet has done but this is NOT one of them.

Oh btw, the real problem is crappy mob ai and cheap boss mechanics like high HP which is causing people to go the DPS route.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

IM for the trinity to come back the content they are building whit no dedicated healer is kind of kitten and anoying

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

Speed clears for Arah often won’t use a Guardian. Berserker gear is just the best in dungeons/fractals, if the player can handle it. If they can’t, then they should practice until they can. Changing to a ‘tankier’ gear setup is not how you improve as a player.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

Speed clears for Arah often won’t use a Guardian.

Yep. DPS, DPS, DPS, DPS, oh, did I forget the DPS? ;P

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

ANet’s fault, not the players

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

We already got one

Power
Precision
Critical

ANet’s fault, not the players

I’m not complaining!

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Trinity doesn’t solve anything though. Adding a trinity will just dumb down the game even more. The solo lupi warrior video didn’t prove anything but that the player was skilled enough to understand and dodge all the mechanics the boss threw out. Something trinity implemented games probably couldn’t do but in a group of 5, it would be a billion times easy than a group of 5 currently. So what’s your point? add trinity so the game gets dumb downed even more but at least people are forced to group up and worship tanks and healers? or instead, people still have to group up to finish a dungeon but some elites c an choose to solo a dungeon and taking 10x longer.

Oh btw, the real problem is crappy mob ai and cheap boss mechanics like high HP which is causing people to go the DPS route.

But they said they wanted some sort of soft trinity like support control and damage not NO trinity at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Honestly I think they could still achieve the trinity that they intend. I don’t think they need to completely rework the game, just look to some of the encounters which really tested the player’s abilities. The game really shines when players are confronted with wave encounters rather than single bosses, for example, as we saw with the Support instances in Cutthroat Politics; use them more often.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

I for one really want to play as a support but this game wont allow even though it should

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Adding trinity doesnt dumb down anything especially a soft trinity. Holy trinity maybe I dont know. But what is really dumbing down is everying DPSing.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Also if you disagree that trinity will dumb down mechanics and dodging isn’t viable with a trinity take a look at Wildstar. Though I still do not want a holy trinity something should be there for all players to do

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yalan.9102

Yalan.9102

When the devs were making this game they said they would have a trinity but it wouldn’t be the holy trinity it would be Support, Control, Damage, I have yet to see this so I was hoping if in the future they could add something for people who want to help allies and want to protect allies as a job.

I came up with this that might be able to help with the suuport control and damage.

2. Give players a new trait to allow their class heal to be able to be used on other players along with making new weapon sets be purely for supporting players. Then allowing to switch do a different weapon set to keep damaging .

This video helps describe more to what I’m trying to get here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBxStGB6-UE

Hopefully with these changes maybe Anet could add large scale dungeons and less of clustered instances for players who seem to complain about that

1) Toughness does increase aggro from mobs…
2) Guardians and other classes do have AE heals (such as well for necro and breeze for guardian…) for their heal6 skill not to mention traits/utilities that heal/provide boons.
3) There are already support weapon sets that people swap to. For example, staff or mace/shield for guardian.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

1) Toughness does increase aggro from mobs…
2) Guardians and other classes do have AE heals (such as well for necro and breeze for guardian…) for their heal6 skill not to mention traits/utilities that heal/provide boons.
3) There are already support weapon sets that people swap to. For example, staff or mace/shield for guardian.

1. Im glad this is true then
2. Its not enough as the video states all the boons only make it more viable for everyone to just dps the boss down as fast as possible.
3. Not every class has this ranger doesn’t only the horn and that only grants swiftness and might its not as nearly good as say elemetnalist or a engineering.

Basically im saying there just needs to be more. As now seen the abilities are not as important because as you can see this game is a huge zerg. It’s not as much as anet said they would have. We all know pure zerg DPS is sadly the most efficient thing in this game so far.

(edited by Sleuth.7964)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The trinity is training wheels for those that can’t get out of the fire.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Not true because even in games with trinity heals cant heal past the fire it drains there resource to quick people have to get out or they can wipe the group.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Ironically, most could say the same for the only role in the game we have currently; DPS.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Ironically, most could say the same for the only role in the game we have currently; DPS.

+100

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

The toughness stat is already weak enough and you want to curse it with more aggro??

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

The toughness stat is already weak enough and you want to curse it with more aggro??

Then add changes to make it more viable!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Seriously, if you cannot accept the “lack” of this feature after a year (and countless futile discussions about it), it is really time for you to move on to another game. They will also have open world dueling here. And everything else you miss in GW2. The majority of your posts suggests that you want this game to be exactly like other games you know, well, then go and play them. Possibly even mounts there or whatever else you liked in WoW or whereever.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

in Suggestions

Sleuth.7964

Seriously, if you cannot accept the “lack” of this feature after a year (and countless futile discussions about it), it is really time for you to move on to another game.

how is it not a lack when the devs themselves said they wanted some sort of role for players?

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Thing is the successful groups know that dps does not exist in a vacuum, they are able to provide “support” and “control” while also maintaining high “damage”. Each player on the team brings a bit of these things that can be shared with the group, it is not left up to one person to be responsible for all of the party’s needs in one particular area. Figuring out the best setup with your class to do that is important and takes a bit of coordination with the others in the group to pull off successfully, which if you pug is more difficult usually. This is why warrior is such a popular choice, they are pug friendly and they bring some pretty good easy to use party utility on top of their damage (which despite popular belief really is not that much higher than most of the other classes). The best experience you can have to really see how Anet’s vision of no holy trinity works is with a organized group, it just takes breaking the old way of thinking before you will understand that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Healer/Tank/DPS is NOT something I want to see return. However, we only have DPS right now. Control and Support NEED to be improved and made worthwhile to maintain any sense of structure in PvE. Right now, all I ever do is stack and spam my hardest hitting skills, in any dungeon. That’s a total joke. In fact, Feedback does all the work for me most of the time.

Control? Temporal Curtain. Only one that matters.

Support? Might/Fury only, maybe Prot/Regen/Aegis and/or condition removal from an anchor Guardian on the off occasion that you need one (you should never need one). That is literally it. Oh, and projectile reflection/absorption if you want to label that as Support, but it actually ends up being a DPS tool for almost every usage.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Seriously, if you cannot accept the “lack” of this feature after a year (and countless futile discussions about it), it is really time for you to move on to another game.

how is it not a lack when the devs themselves said they wanted some sort of role for players?

I doubt they meant different single role characters. Especially when it comes to healing as this would inevitably lead to the traditional division. If they wanted characters really pidgeonholed into single roles along the lines they were thinking (which I doubt), they would have to work within the system, eg. change the duration/timers on buffs/debuffs, change how boss immunities work etc. But not changing the core mechanic of combat back to traditional. Don´t get me wrong, I do not want to antagonize you (maybe I sounded a bit too vicious because after a year debating this I am really fed up with the topic) and do not actively dislike “trinity” mmorpg, but everything has its place. I do not want GW2 to be like any other game I can choose from in case I feel like playing that concept.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I don’t really think it’s the classes that need to change drastically, but how the dungeon battles and stuff are setup.

Dungeons themselves could have some changes to their designs overall to provide more… options in how you get through them. For Example: maybe have add some potential “short cuts” via some basic jumping puzzles (mostly of the wvw jp kind; the kind that provide a feel of climbing natural terrain etc…. then again variety is always good too).

As far as the battles go; there need to be more to the fights. Provide more mechanics using terrain and strategy to the battles. Players should have to divide and conquer their enemies, not just rush straight into a fight without planning it out; pulling small groups like in the first GW and whittling down the numbers instead of rushing in. Providing environmental elements to the battles that don’t rely solely on a players gear is always a good way of diversifying a battle; have a small cliff overlooking the boss battleground where a player can climb up to via a simple jump puzzle sort of thing and knock boulders down to stun the boss or something. Larger sized bosses like giants could grab players and toss them away or smash them into the ground if their party doesn’t make use of some mechanic to free them (maybe a siege weapon off nearby to stun the boss?).

There are many things they could do with the fights themselves that could create a teamwork structure without actually putting classes/etc. into specific “trinity-esque” roles.

They already kind of do this in some areas of the game, but unfortunately the areas that players farm and used to farm (until certain limitations were placed on them lol) usually lacked any interesting/fun mechanics to the battles and relied pretty much solely on bursting down an enemy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

The Control, Damage, Support trinity works just fine in WvW. If it worked that well in PvE, I might go back and do some some time.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Healer/Tank/DPS is NOT something I want to see return. However, we only have DPS right now. Control and Support NEED to be improved and made worthwhile to maintain any sense of structure in PvE. Right now, all I ever do is stack and spam my hardest hitting skills, in any dungeon. That’s a total joke. In fact, Feedback does all the work for me most of the time.

Control? Temporal Curtain. Only one that matters.

Support? Might/Fury only, maybe Prot/Regen/Aegis and/or condition removal from an anchor Guardian on the off occasion that you need one (you should never need one). That is literally it. Oh, and projectile reflection/absorption if you want to label that as Support, but it actually ends up being a DPS tool for almost every usage.

This is only true of groups that run full gc and can burn mobs down before cd’s reset. Having said that the only real answer for Anet is to revamp ai to add more “phases” that happen in random orders and occur more frequently to make fights less scripted so they can’t be memorized. Still not sure even that would require more dedicated support or control though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I’m very much in favor GW2 being changed so that choosing to spec for support or control doesn’t make you dead weight to a coordinated group. I don’t think we need any player mechanics changes to accomplish this, though. It’s all about how PvE content is designed.

If you can beat a dungeon by stacking on the boss and applying maximum DPS, then obviously there’s no point in bringing your healing Guardian or your Mace/Mace+Hammer Warrior. If bosses one-shot everyone who doesn’t dodge their attacks regardless of gear, then obviously you might as well just bring Zerker gear because your Soldier set isn’t doing anything for your survivability anyway. It would be awesome if not everything was optimized for strict DPS.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Adding trinity doesnt dumb down anything especially a soft trinity. Holy trinity maybe I dont know. But what is really dumbing down is everying DPSing.

That’s my point though. Sorry when i was referring to trinity i was referring to the “holy trinity” the classic WoW mmo type.

I’m saying, if they want their soft trinity to work, they need a viability for it, and this in the core, comes down to mob and boss mechanics. Instead of cheap high hp bosses, have bosses that actually require thinking and strategy with reasonable HP (so people don’t go for the zerker it all the way) and no i’m not talking about cheap one hit mechanics either Anet. In a way, anet has somewhat tried to move in this direction, most of the gauntlet bosses had low amounts of hp and it was more of the boss mechanics you had to learn rather than just trying to burst down with pure DPS.

However, high dps builds were still favorable in that instance just because high damage was still able to burst down the bosses. Imo, slightly higher hp but not ridiculous levels, reduce boss damage by about 1/4 at least then. The goal is the make the boss fights last longer but not stupidly long. That way, high dps can’t zerk their way through since their buffs only have so long.

However, group wise, that is a different matter, if they want supports to matter more, they’re going to have to buff supports skills a bit, but if they do it wrong, then support is going to be a necessary requirement in a group and thus leaning closer towards our old healer tank style.

So one step at a time, improve the boss mechanics first, don’t favor high DPS builds as the way to go then we’ll talk about how to find the balance between support and damage